Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rirse posted:

Seeing stuff like this kinda makes me GLAD New 52 happened. Kinda.

Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bobkatt013 posted:

A bad guy community? What a novel concept and not one that Geoff Johns was writing about at the same time and doing an awesome job at.

Yeah. It was a good time for villains. DC in general was in a pretty good place, as far as I remember. I was still relatively new to the DCU at the time so my glasses may be a little rosey.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

She was turned into Salt and then this happened

Was that in blackest night proper or in robinsons JLA?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hup posted:

Was that in blackest night proper or in robinsons JLA?

The stupid death was in the proper but that scene was in JLA

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Parlett316 posted:

Bring back the Jim Corrigan Spectre

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Why did Jim Corrigan become the Spectre? I couldn't wait for him to get what he deserved after reading Gotham City Cental.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

KomradeX posted:

Why did Jim Corrigan become the Spectre? I couldn't wait for him to get what he deserved after reading Gotham City Cental.

Do you think being the Spectre is fun?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Do you think being the Spectre is fun?

Good point, GCC just really made me hate Jim Corrigan in a very visceral way. What an excellent run

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

KomradeX posted:

There are two Corrigans.

The first was an honest cop who died in the Golden Age and became the Spectre.

The second was the corrupt dick who murdered Crispus Allen, who became the new Spectre.

At least that's how it was pre-Flashpoint.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
How pointless did Spider-Man: The Other end up being? I recall it was these weird attempt to redesign the character and add some stupid as hell "SPIDER-TOTEM/AVATAR OF THE SPIDER GOD" bullshit that no one on earth liked but if I recall right the changes got ignored/reversed very quickly, rendering the whole drat thing moot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Originally it was pretty pointless. Peter got new powers for a little bit which pretty much nobody but PAD and JMS acknowledged and Brand New Day effectively wiped them all away. Slott brought back all The Other stuff during Spider-Island but transferred the ~prophecy~ and powers nonsense to Kaine and it actually fit them very well and has been a big part of the character. All of Slotts run really has brought a lot of JMS' ideas back to the forefront.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

quote:

Identity Crisis talk
For as bad as it might have been, wasn't it the event that caused the creation of BSS? I remember a lot of people had avatars with the person who they thought the killer was, and generally it was a fun thread full of lots of theories and guesses and then when the killer was finally revealed it was like a huge fart filled the room.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Premeditated Toast posted:

For as bad as it might have been, wasn't it the event that caused the creation of BSS? I remember a lot of people had avatars with the person who they thought the killer was, and generally it was a fun thread full of lots of theories and guesses and then when the killer was finally revealed it was like a huge fart filled the room.

Did anyone guess right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

Did anyone guess right?
I think some people 'guessed' it in terms of going "well I mean it doesn't make any sense, but...."

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Madkal posted:

Did anyone guess right?

a few folk back in the big identity crisis thread guessed right, but mostly in halfway joking ways, i don't think anyone picked up a suspect:loring avatar though, back when that was the thing

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

amishjosh posted:

a few folk back in the big identity crisis thread guessed right, but mostly in halfway joking ways, i don't think anyone picked up a suspect:loring avatar though, back when that was the thing

Pretty much this. We all joked that it would make no sense if it was Jean from any kind of standpoint. Lo and behold when the reveal came it still made no loving sense. I put money on it being a Secret Society kind of hit, going for the lower tier heroes weak spots and demoralizing, and also them finding out about the mind wiping and exposing it to the heroes to fracture the base being the real aim, with the murder of Sue Dibny being the catalyst.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

amishjosh posted:

I stand by my avatar guess of Stompa. Made just as much sense.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Jiro posted:

Pretty much this. We all joked that it would make no sense if it was Jean from any kind of standpoint. Lo and behold when the reveal came it still made no loving sense. I put money on it being a Secret Society kind of hit, going for the lower tier heroes weak spots and demoralizing, and also them finding out about the mind wiping and exposing it to the heroes to fracture the base being the real aim, with the murder of Sue Dibny being the catalyst.

i vaguely recall it becoming pretty obvious(i'm sure as hell not going back and reading the series) by like the second to last issue, and everyone just going "nope, that's too stupid, makes no sense" and trying to come up with theories like yours to figure it out.

then the final issue came out and everyone was just :what:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

amishjosh posted:

i vaguely recall it becoming pretty obvious(i'm sure as hell not going back and reading the series) by like the second to last issue, and everyone just going "nope, that's too stupid, makes no sense" and trying to come up with theories like yours to figure it out.

then the final issue came out and everyone was just :what:

That's because in the second to last issue the only person that has evil face WAS Jean. With the red herring of like Martian Manhunter or some poo poo as the cliff hanger. The only real thing that alluded to it was the bullshit who benefits dialogue. Even then Jean's explanation was sofa king we tarded. :downs:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's great is that Jean's motivation was "I gotta make everyone scared so my ex will run back to me!" and in issue one Ray Palmer makes it very clear he wants to get back with her. Even better is the halfassed way they try to make her hanging herself make any sort of sense.

Jean was one of the only people it literally could not have been

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's great is that Jean's motivation was "I gotta make everyone scared so my ex will run back to me!" and in issue one Ray Palmer makes it very clear he wants to get back with her. Even better is the halfassed way they try to make her hanging herself make any sort of sense.

Jean was one of the only people it literally could not have been

Also bringing flamethrower to visit her best friend.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

That's just manners.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Amazed that her motivations were never retconned to be a spacebug or something.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Well, wouldn't you carry a flamethrower everywhere, just in case? If you could miniaturise it, I mean.

Just in case.

Madkal posted:

Amazed that her motivations were never retconned to be a spacebug or something.

I kind of thought this about Max Lord's heel turn in Infinite Crisis. For at least five years afterwards I was quietly hoping for a Keith Giffen comic where they would find the real Max Lord tied up in a cupboard somewhere or something.

qntm fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 28, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

qntm posted:

I kind of thought this about Max Lord's heel turn in Infinite Crisis. For at least five years afterwards I was quietly hoping for a Keith Giffen comic where they would find the real Max Lord tied up in a cupboard somewhere or something.

I quite enjoy the story about Kevin Maguire going back and changing the ending to an issue of JLA Classified to show Max Lord and Blue Beetle sharing a friendly laugh, to show exactly what he thought about Max's heel turn.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Can someone do a write up of Secret Wars 2? It was talked about early on but I don't think anyone when into deeper detail about it's problems.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can someone do a write up of Secret Wars 2? It was talked about early on but I don't think anyone when into deeper detail about it's problems.

I don't think anybody can. You have at best a fifteen minute window after reading Secret Wars 2 where you can retain knowledge about it's events then it's gone.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Beyonder wants to be human. Spidey teaches him how to poop.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is all you need to read in regards to Secret War 2

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The Beyonder was a motherfuckin pimp

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a couple of Secret Wars II tie-ins that I think are fairly well-remembered as decent-to-good stories. One is the Fantastic Four one Byrne did where a kid who idolised the Human Torch doused himself in petrol and set himself on fire and Johnny decided he'd never flame on again. The other was the New Mutants tie-in, where the Beyonder slaughters them all, then brings them back to life with their memories of being dead intact.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

There's a couple of Secret Wars II tie-ins that I think are fairly well-remembered as decent-to-good stories. One is the Fantastic Four one Byrne did where a kid who idolised the Human Torch doused himself in petrol and set himself on fire and Johnny decided he'd never flame on again. The other was the New Mutants tie-in, where the Beyonder slaughters them all, then brings them back to life with their memories of being dead intact.

I'm pretty sure Secret Wars II tied in with literally every other comic that Marvel was publishing, even though some of them were less than a page of crossover. Just enough so that they could put the "Secret Wars II continues in this issue" triangle in the top-right corner of the cover.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is all you need to read in regards to Secret War 2

He also hit on Dazzler for a really long time. There was a lot of smooching.

Also, not shockingly, the ROM SWII tie-in was very good, and had Bey curing Rick Jones of cancer among other things.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 29, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I'm pretty sure Secret Wars II tied in with literally every other comic that Marvel was publishing, even though some of them were less than a page of crossover. Just enough so that they could put the "Secret Wars II continues in this issue" triangle in the top-right corner of the cover.

Yeah, I think it was a lot of COIE and its red skies in that regard. It was certainly the first Marvel crossover that occurs to me where basically every title opted into the crossover. Those are just the ones that are most prominent in my mind.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Hey, you should always keep a flamethrower on you. After all, it's the one way to stump batman, since all you have to do is go nuts with a flamethrower at your crime scene.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

There are two Corrigans.

The first was an honest cop who died in the Golden Age and became the Spectre.

The second was the corrupt dick who murdered Crispus Allen, who became the new Spectre.

At least that's how it was pre-Flashpoint.

Okay this makes more sense at least

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Reminder that even in the 80s Armor Wars had Tony Stark breaking international laws and attacking US assets and good heros to eliminate all examples of his armor technology outside his own hands (it's a good story). Also he shot Bruce Banner into space and did that whole civil-war thing. At least in his portrayal in the last decade, he has had a diamond hard core of his own beliefs about what is right and has sacrificed everything to uphold it. This is the man who deleted his own brain to keep his knowledge out of Norman Osborn's hands (he had a backup, because comics)

Tony doing what Tony thinks is right and it must be right because he's a super genious (Only it's not right at all) has been a big part of his story for a long time now.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Even though it has nothing to do with the film I thought I'd re-read Age of Ultron to see if my opinion on it would change. I think it being all in one volume tends to fix the feeling of "....That was it?" that the whole thing leaves when you read it during it's original release schedule but that really does not fix the fact that for an event named Age of Ultron, Ultron barely appears in it.

Sure you see his drones and all, but Ultron himself is in it for about 5 pages during the entire run and even then all it ends up being is "I am now back! Seeya later fuckers!" and then at the very end "I'm back, seeya later fuckers! Oh poo poo, I can't leave. I HATE YOU DAD" and then he's dead. Then comes a ton of really strange plot issues as well. Red Hulk just randomly murders Taskmaster for no reason aside from "I don't trust you". Luke Cage gets hit with a nuclear blast and then, despite the comic straight up saying he doesn't know how to do it, he manages to fly a jet all the way to the Savage Land, crawl into a camp and then stay alive long enough for Emma Frost to scan his mind before immediately dying. Reminder that none of that is shown in panel, Wolverine just looks sad and says he just died.

I will admit Wolverine having a conversation with himself while Pym is basically :stare: was a little funny, but the whole thing was just weak and boring. I really wish we'd have actually seen what caused the world's downfall or even told us exactly what Pym did to fix the other future.

It's just meh. I'd actually say Fear Itself is far better it only because it at least has a villain we see through the entire thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone should use a time machine to undo those two events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

My fave part of AoU is Ultron defeated by a virus which somehow manages to evade detection and removal by a super-intelligent robot that has body-swapped, resurrected, and reprogrammed itself dozens of times. Because apparently Pym-in-the-past is smarter than (and can future-proof for) a machine that goes on to develop enough computational power to use time travel, take over the Phalanx, and reprogram Tony Stark's DNA to turn him into a woman. The universe's most terrifying AI and it never once thought to install AVG?

• Locked thread