Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vakal
May 11, 2008
Personally, I found Siege to be my most disappointing event comic.

Most big events are usually their own self-contained things, but Siege was supposed to be big climax for Norman Osborn's multi-year rise to power arc that started back with Warren Ellis's Thunderbolts, and continued on through Secret Invasion and Dark Avengers.

I knew the status quo of Osborn being in charge had to come to an end eventually, but everything had hinted towards Norman having some sort of :master: plan in place where even if he lost, it would force the heroes to make a huge sacrifice in order to defeat him.

In the end though, the Avengers defeated him with little to no effort at all, everything went back to normal almost immediately, and it turned out his grand scheme was just to paint Goblin make-up on his face under his helmet.

Oh, and then Iron Man dropped a Helicarrier on The Sentry/Void, killing him instantly. So much for the power of a million exploding suns...

Once Siege ended and the Heroic Age started, I pretty much lost all interest in the overall Marvel Universe. The follow up events like Fear Itself didn't help things either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gavok posted:

The best way Siege should have ended was having Phobos stop the Void. It made perfect sense. Fury told Phobos to stay home and not join in the battle because Ares was there. Ares got horribly murdered by the Void. Sentry/Void's one weakness is his unstable psyche. Phobos brings fear to whoever looks into his eyes. If he just showed up during the climax and glared into Void's eyes, causing uncertainty and fear and all that, THEN they could have done the Helicarrier and Mjolnir combo. I would have bought that then.

I think that is what is so frustrating about Siege. There were just so many other directions that they could have went with that would have been better than what we got.

All through Dark Reign it was shown that even though Osborn was a manipulative bastard, he generally seemed to sympathize with Reynolds and didn't just write him off
as a dangerous lunatic like all the other heroes/villains did.

So when the Void was finally unleashed and it looked like everything was doomed, I fully expected Norman would have been the one to step up and talk the Sentry down,
somehow coming to terms with his goblin side at the same time and putting it away forever. It would have nicely brought closure to both characters.

But no, in the end villains can never change and the heroes always save the day by just punching things really hard...

• Locked thread