Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm gonna say Onslaught. Identity Crisis makes a solid point for not making sense and including rape as a plot point in comics, but I didn't read it so I can't say that for certain. What I did read is a bunch of stuff with Onslaught in it (not all of it, because that was impossible, but a lot of it). You can talk about how it was basically peak 90s, or how it was based in old storylines from several years prior that weren't exactly interesting themselves (the X-Traitor and Fatal Attractions). But the worst thing about it was the end result: they turned over the Avengers line books to dudes like Liefeld, gave us Heroes Reborn, and we got CapBoobs.jpg

That is the real crime of Onslaught. It was a vehicle to hand over control of the books to the Liefelds and Lees of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hakkesshu posted:

Turns out it's pretty easy

Or, the other way around: it's incredibly hard to give a poo poo about Hal Jordan if your name is not Geoff Johns.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirDan3k posted:

It wasn't meant to be a game changer but WB gave DC an ultimatum to increase comic sales or get shut down so they pulled a number bolstering relaunch out of their asses as fast as they could, it could have ended up being any minor event comic.

I've been hearing that going reprint-only is something that's been on the table for DC for several years now. Really the whole point of that company is just to keep copyright current at this point. At least Marvel periodically does poo poo they use for movies.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the traitor was Professor X allllll alooooooong!! But I guess they lost that important bit of information in the future and Future Gambit never told anyone because Reasons.

I think they established at one point that The Witness/Future Gambit's like if Dr. Manhattan was a shittier person. He's got functional omniscience and time travel and energy manipulation, and he uses it to steal Stark Industries for himself and hang out with naked ladies even though he's a gross old man. Odds are he didn't tell anyone because he thought it would be funny or something.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kurui Reiten posted:

I just want to know how no one at Marvel went "Wait, you want to do what now" as soon as the idea came up. Were sales for Ultimate titles flagging THAT badly, that they felt it was worth doing a massive shock value series and overturning years of storylines?

I think everything but Ultimate Spidey was doing pretty poorly.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gologle posted:

Every event comic line that comes out from 2000+ will be poo poo and deserves to be mentioned here.

Infinity was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm just saying, if everything is the worst event, then Age of Apocalypse and Ultimatum are exactly as good as each other.

• Locked thread