Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Liam Emsa posted:

Assuming you guys have heard it already: Game of Thrones Creators Confirm the Show Will Spoil the Books

As a person who hasn't read the books, and has had to sit by while people on this forum post spoilers, buy red text avatars, quote my posts with innuendo and hints, tell me "Oh you sweet summer child,"

SHOE'S ON THE OTHER FOOT NOW, BITCH.

My wife has said she won't be watching the series if this really happens. I told her I'll watch it, and then I can sit back and giggle with a poo poo-eating grin as she reads the final two books, knowing what's going to happen and who is going to die.

And I can buy red text for everyone in The Book Barn who posts in the ASOIAF thread.

I'm sure there are people out there that will actually be mad about this, but I'll echo what someone else posted earlier: people in the book barn never actually thought the books would be finished before the series, and are actually looking forward to getting new info on the story from the show. I know I am, because I don't really want to sit around and wait to find out about the story from GRRM himself; he takes far too long and his prose is kinda . . . iffy.

I know there are a lot of trolls that just say: "LOL, just read a book idiot" when show watchers get spoiled. I've never really been one of those people, and personally, I've started telling people not to bother with the books at this point. There are so many better pieces of literature out there that you could spend your time with, and still get the same basic story from the show.

Max fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BillBear posted:

S5 is going to likely be the least faithful season yet but at the same time it's looking likely to be the best one yet too, D&D are fairly capable guys mostly and I think they can carry this series to the end.

. . . kinda. When they've invented scenes based off of material, it's been gold. Creating stuff whole cloth has been pretty terrible though, but that might just be my own tastes.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BillBear posted:

D&D are awesome when they just have characters talking/insulting each other but when they try going beyond that they usually start to fail.

Yup. It gets real dicey.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Clevermuldoon posted:

Any examples of stuff they made up? I'm curious now.

Caveat: Don't search this stuff on google, I bet there are spoilers everywhere.

The two big ones that stood out were:

Yara's Magical Boat adventure to save Theon.

Also, Carl Tanner, the legend of Gin Alley, along with the entire storyline with Jon going back to Craster's to eliminate the mutinous brothers. This was mostly invented to pad out the story at the Wall, so that the big battle at Castle Black could happen in episode 9. The story with the mutineers is wildly different in the books, but I'm not going to get into that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ballz posted:

So we're still a couple of weeks out, but I just wanted to talk for a moment about the new thread. I can make the first episode thread unless someone else has a burning desire to, but starting in late April/early May I'm going to be moving so my Internet presence will be sporadic at best during that time. Someone else would have to take over episode duties for a while.

Unless... we just stick with one single thread for the season. This off-season thread has been pretty dead and I'm not sure if TV IV liveposting is quite as crazy as it used to be. I can't think of any other show in recent memory that warranted a new thread every week.

About the only advantage to closing the thread with each new episode is because it inevitably went to poo poo after about five days or so since we're all terrible at watching television.

FYI, I'm down with being one of the "Can answer questions" people again.

• Locked thread