Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Season 5 of Game of Thrones debuts Sunday, April 12, 2015!

You know the rules by now. This is the Unsullied thread for people who haven't read the books. So no bookchat, although if its any consolation, the show is getting very close to catching up with the books at this point, at least until GRRM finishes the Winds of Winter. he won't

If you're absolutely dying to know, any questions about the books can be sent by PM to
Toast Museum
Revenant Threshold
Ballz
Carlton Banks Teller
Max
The Kawaiiest
Hedrigall

SEASON 5 TRAILER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDb4sJVK2wU
Don't read the comments.

SEASON 5 TRAILER ANIGIF ANALYSIS! Some remarks and speculation in that link may be considered a touch spoilery, especially if you're the spergin' type.

SEASON 5 CASTING/SHOOTING INFO FOLLOWS

Comic-Con Casting Announcement!

Doran Martell - Alexander Siddig (Star Trek: Deep Space 9)
Ruler of Dorne and Oberyn Martell's gouty big brother.

Trystane Martell - Toby Sebastian (After the Dark)
Doran's son, heir to Dorne and betrothed to Myrcella Baratheon thanks to some savvy politicking by Tyrion back in season 2.

Myrcella Baratheon - Nell Tiger Free (Mr. Stink)
A recast of Cersei's only daughter, who was played by Aimee Richardson in seasons 1 and 2. No crown for you, Aimee!

Obara Sand - Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider)
The eldest of Oberyn Martell's bastard daughters, better known as the Sand Snakes. Oberyn told Cersei he has 8 daughters total, and we'll be seeing at least 3 of them in season 5. Other Sand Snakes include...

Nymeria "Nym" Sand - Jessica Henwick (Spirit Warriors)
The second oldest Sand Snake. Her mother was a noblewoman from Essos.

Tyene Sand - Rosabell Laurenti Sellers (The Whistleblower)
She's a fan of daggers, apparently.

Areo Hotah - DeObia Oparei (Doom)
Doran's captain of the guards, wields a big loving longaxe.

Yezzan - Enzo Cilenti (Next)
A wealthy slave trader from Slaver's Bay.

High Sparrow - Jonathan Pryce (Brazil)
Radically devout follower of the Seven, he has amassed a large following among the smallfolk.

Septa Unella - Hannah Waddingham (Les Misérables)
A septa serving the Faith of the Seven. As a member of the Most Devout, the highest ranking clergy, she enforces strict adherence to her religion's laws.

Lil' Cersei Lannister - Nell Williams (The Revolting World of Stanley Brown)
Coming Soon: Jim Henson's Game of Thrones Babies

Ghita - Hattie Gotobed (Snow White and the Huntsman)
Competing with Nell Tiger Free for most made-the-gently caress-up-name award.

Malko - Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Lost)
Show-only character, no info is known. He's kind of on the same tier of actor as say, Burn "the fookin' legend" Gorman, so whoever Malko is, I doubt it'll be a mere cameo or extra.

Loboda - Zahary Baharov (The Way Back)
A wildling, might be a Thenn given his bald head. Seen in the first S5 trailer wielding an axe.

Unknown Wildling - Birgitte Hjort Sørensen (Borgen)
Like Loboda, another wildling featured in a preview trailer. Her character name hasn't been released yet, but based on her acting pedigree, it's doubtful she's an extra.

Rattleshirt - Ross O’Hennessy (Da Vinci's Demons)
Yet another recast, but c'mon, like you even remember what Rattleshirt looks like without the giant skull on.

Denys Mallister - J.J. Murphy (Angela's Ashes)
And now his Watch is ended. :rip: D&D say they will not recast him, but it's unclear if they'll just cut his part out altogether.

Bowen Marsh - Michael Condron (The Tudors)
First Steward of the Night's Watch. Definitely not this guy.

Maggy the Frog - Jodhi May (Last of the Mohicans)
Not as frog-like as you would think.

Melara Hetherspoon - Isabella Steinbarth (Cuban Fury)
That's the character's name in the b**ks, it's always possible it'll change in the show.

Master (Maester?) Eaton - Gianpiero Cognoli (The Northern Paradigm)
No clue.

Merchant Captain - Gary Pillai
His name is probably the extent of his character.

"Military officer" - Derek Lord (High Road)
We only know he's on the show because he broke his wrist while filming.

And a whole bunch of glorified extras.

:siren: SEASON 5 FLIMING BEGINS WRAPS:siren:

It looks like shooting officially began around July 20th as pink "GOT" signs went up near Ireland's Scrabo Tower. Scrabo Tower would be a new location, but it looks pretty fitting for the show.

The final bit of shooting came to an end in early December, so now the long wait until April begins.

HBO is doing some real gimmicky thing in teasing new footage, where you sign up to receive "the sight" from the 3-eyed raven. What it means is you MIGHT get a message that has a 10-second video that shows maybe all of three frames of new content. Fascinating.

In other news, for season 5 Spain becomes the latest country to represent the lands of Westeros and Essos. Croatia, UK and some minimal filming in Iceland are also confirmed.

If you've been following the fan sites, you've probably seen a ton of leaked photos that spoil things to varying degrees. Below are a handful of set/scenery pics to wet your whistle!

Alcázar of Seville in Seville, Spain is being used to represent Dorne. Wikipedia has more pics showing off this gorgeous palace.

A bullfighting ring in Osuna, Spain, is being used in Season 5.

Northern Ireland: Winterfell has seen better days.

Winterfell's weirwood tree

Useful Resources

HBO viewer's guide:
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/

TV IV Spoiler Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570018

A (spoiler free!) Song of Ice and Fire book thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853

A (spoiler filled!) Song of Ice and Fire book thread (aka The Bad Thread):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853

Westeros Forums (wiki contains spoilers!!!):
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/

Show-only wiki (still fills in lots of blanks using the books):
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSuXBVv4ppY

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b93mfEI2Kb0

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es3VVgFq9nQ

The Rains of Castamere (The National) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVcbIc5yWI
The Rains of Castamere (Sigur Rós) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3QW8PVyyNM

The Bear and the Maiden Fair (The Hold Steady) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3b7fZIT0nk
The Bear and the Maiden Fair (:kimchi: version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARfQtFKQtZo

Mountain vs. The Red Viper comic. And yes, someone else is making an official comic adaptation of the books. No, you really, really don't want to see it.

Lastly, I don't really have anywhere else to stick this, so enjoy this blooper real from season 4.

Thread History (h/t In It For the Tank)

Season 1: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Ned Head Redemption - Early Episode 7 Thread
Season 2: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Shadow Baby
Season 3: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Dracarys - The Red Wedding
Season 4: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - The Purple Wedding - White Walkerpalooza - IN LIKE THIS
Season 5: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler

Ballz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Don't worry , I have it on good authority that Richardson has been recast next season to play The Mountain.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Meanwhile in non-crap GoT-related booze news...

The latest beer will be a Dubbel, and seems pretty appropriate given how season 4 ended.

From Ommegang:

quote:

Valar Morghulis is brewed with pilsner and other specialty malts and hopped with Apollo and Hallertau Spalt Select hops. The hue is deep amber-brown with a persistent, creamy, off-white head. Aromas include caramel, toffee, ripe fruit, banana and slightly burnt sugar. The taste is well-balanced with rich malty sweetness, caramel and sugar, and just a touch of bitterness to balance. The finish is surprisingly dry and light on the tongue, belying the aroma and initial taste.

Will be available in the Fall. I've still seen some Fire and Blood Ales at Total Wine, although to be honest, it was a bit of a letdown compared to last year's Take the Black Stout.

Ommegang made their name as being experts at Belgian brews, so a dubbel should be right up their wheelhouse.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Kevyn posted:

It's explained in a scene in S2. People called Davos "the onion knight" disparagingly, so he decided to own the insult and make it his sigil. His son wants him to change it to three mermen with tridents.

Guess he forgot Varys already had that as his sigil.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Casting announcement!!

Avoid the Youtube comments like the plague if you go to the video player's page. Gonna miss Oberyn, but at least we'll now have... Dr. Julian Bashir. :swoon:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BreakAtmo posted:

Well this sucks. One of the new S5 actors has died after filming only a few scenes.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/aug/11/game-of-thrones-actor-jj-murphy-dies-four-days-into-filming

HBO says they won't be recasting him, so they'll either write him out entirely or just have him in the handful of scenes they already filmed.

Incidentally I've been keeping the OP up to date with any casting/filming news, if you want to check it from time to time. You won't have to trudge through 200 character profile pictures either! :sweatdrop:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 11, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Arya Stark discovers the Nintendo Entertainment System

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm not going to update every single time there's a bit of season 5 filming news (stuff is coming out literally every day right now), but there's something that tickles my heart in knowing we're going back to Winterfell.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

We have our first Season 5 teaser.

If you want to be totally unspoiled don't watch. Otherwise you'll learn that in season 5 doors exist.

In other news, Season 4 blu-ray has a release date, and also featured is the yearly crop of special edition covers from Best Buy.

House Martell is the correct cover to buy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Season 5 isn't even done filming yet. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a series of these short clips that serve as little more than to remind people that Game of Thrones is a thing that exists. A real trailer probably won't materialize until early next year.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Stuff in Spain and (I think) Croatia is finished, but they're still shooting in Belfast. Other cast members have been tweeting about it in recent days.

I think all filming is set to wrap by early December.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Season 5 officially wrapped a couple of days ago. :woop: And the wait until April continues. :sigh:

Meanwhile, HBO has been trying (and mostly failing) at teasing some upcoming footage, which you can read about here.

Basically we can now confirm that Arya rows a boat and Cersei goes to a Catholic confessional. Well I for one am teased!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like that the copyright and anti-piracy measures are "only click this if you already own both books!"

Well to give them a slight bit of credit, it's then followed up with a prompt asking you to put in a specific word from a specific page of one of the books.

I've been doing my re-read of AFFC/ADWD using this order. Aside from the occasional perspectives doubling up on each other, it's amazing how much better it all flows.

And just a friendly reminder that if anyone wants to dive into actual discussion of what's in the books, there's a perfectly good spoiler thread to post in.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sort of... it was a bit more complex than that.

GRRM originally wanted to do something like a 5-year time skip between A Storm of Swords and the next book. Somewhere along the way he changed his mind and had to pretty much start over from scratch and fill in all the gaps that he originally planned on skipping. He knew where he needed all of his characters to be at the end of the book, but writing it out and getting everyone in place -- and doing so in a somewhat logical time frame -- turned out to be an even bigger nightmare. If you ever hear mention of "the Meereenese knot," that's basically a reference to a sex position GRRM's writing dilemma at the time.

In the end, GRRM had to split the massive tome in two and for whatever reason split them by geography rather than linearity. And without going into too much detail, some stuff he intended for these books STILL got cut -- his publisher basically got tired of waiting for A Dance With Dragons and made him axe the book's loving climax and save it for The Winds of Winter.

On the plus side, the day that ADWD was published, GRRM already had about 250 pages of Winds of Winter done and in the can. Clearly that must mean he's almost finished writing it by now, right? Right? :suicide:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There's some strong indication that this upcoming season will begin diving into Winds material, at least for some storylines.

By season 6 we should be fully beyond Feast and Dance, although the way the show's been changing up storylines and moving stuff around, it's getting more and more nebulous to say such things.

Soon, my sweet summer children. Soon, you will be the ones giving the spoilers rather than receiving them. :getin:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Lycus posted:

I still laugh when I remember that guy on GRRM's blog complaining about HBO spoiling the books after the baby transformation scene.

I hope it's just a hint of things to come.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

or am I being a non-book reading sweet summer child?

Pretty much.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Season 5 premiere: April 12.

Four more months. :ducksiren:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

And in case anyone missed it, the last two episodes of season 4 will be screening in IMAX theaters starting next week (the Battle of Castle Black and the aftermath episode; you'll only see Oberyn's face smash on a giganto screen if they show a "previously on"). It'll also include the first real trailer for season 5.

And for the curious, the OP's been updated with a bunch of casting info for season 5.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

OP updated with a high-res link to the season 5 trailer. Also, here are some publicity photos if you want to see old characters and new characters doing stuff you haven't seen them do.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's also down to that price at Best Buy, where you can get the exclusive slip covers.

Don't be surprised if it drops even further to $30, which it did the last couple of years.

I'm thinking of going against the grain and doing Tyrell over Martell. They kinda came out on top in season 4, and I'm banking on the Martell cover being available again for season 5, given the show will be heading to Dorne. :shobon:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 13, 2015

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

GonSmithe posted:

I bought the Martell one, but I'm gonna be really sad if I can't get the Tyrell one eventually because it looks really nice.

Ugh, I just looked again at the Best Buy website and it looks like the Tyrell and Martell covers are online only. Everybody already has the Stark and Targaryan covers by now Best Buy, make those the online-only ones. :sigh:

Edit:

:negative:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 18, 2015

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

GonSmithe posted:

I'm sorry, it's really pretty:

Really hope it'll be available again for season 5. But more likely it'll be "Hey, let's do the Stark cover again, everything's really been working out for those guys." :haw:

On the plus side, that back order didn't take long at all!

If anyone missed out on ordering these from Best Buy's website... they've been sold out since Tuesday. No idea if they'll be getting more in, since these are intended to be limited releases.

Edit - For those of you keeping tabs at home:

-Season 1's covers were between Stark and Targaryan. The Stark sigil spills over onto the spine, just for all you :spergin: people out there.

-Season 2 was between Lannister and Greyjoy. The Greyjoy sigil is totally boss, too bad they suck so hard in the show. I think some PAL regions also had the Baratheon stag sigil, but I'm not sure if that was canceled or not. Not gonna hold my breath on that coming back for a future season.

-Season 3 had fans choosing the covers in an online poll, and they chose... unwisely. It ended up being Stark, Lannister and Targaryan again, so I guess it's cool you can pick up that one cover you missed out on previously. But we really should've gotten this:

I want my Stannis cover, HBO and Best Buy. :colbert:

-Season 4 as previously shown, is Tyrell and Martell for online-only purchases, with Stark, Lannister and Targaryan AGAIN at the brick and mortar stores.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 22, 2015

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

withak posted:

To clarify, people are buying four copies of Season 4 because it comes in four different covers, right?

If you're referring to my photo, no, that's seasons 1-4. Best Buy has been offering these exclusive limited slip covers with every release from the very beginning, with each season having a different assortment of choices to pick from. Some, like the Stark, Lannister and Targaryan covers, have been offered for several different seasons. Others like Greyjoy, Tyrell, and Martell have only been available for one specific season.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MH Knights posted:

Well it looks like I may be shelling out $15 a month for the new HBO streaming service. I managed to avoid spoilers about about S1 - 3 but had two of the major deaths of S4 spoiled. Time to start watching the show as it premiers instead of waiting a year for the season disc set to be released.

Fifteen bucks sounds about what I'd expect. If you're already a cable/HBO subscriber, does that mean HBO Go goes away or will a streaming service still be part of the package?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MH Knights posted:

I thought HBO was going to make some prequel season, Rob and Ned's Excellent Rebellion Adventures, or some side stories rather than pass the books? I know GRRM handed over his notes and future plot outline/draft but I never thought he would take this drat long to release the next book.

GRRM has floated the idea, but the show runners say they have zero desire to do it and want to wrap up the show after 7 seasons or so. At best, you might have a new, separate series that takes place in the Game of Thrones universe pop up at some point (The Tales of Dunk and Egg would work pretty well in this format)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Much of the audience didn't have the benefit of me pasting a 50-character "Where are they now?" post you had to scroll past every week last season that included Lancel and a dozen other characters that haven't been seen in 2 to 3 seasons now.

What's going on with Gendry, you guys. :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So we're still a couple of weeks out, but I just wanted to talk for a moment about the new thread. I can make the first episode thread unless someone else has a burning desire to, but starting in late April/early May I'm going to be moving so my Internet presence will be sporadic at best during that time. Someone else would have to take over episode duties for a while.

Unless... we just stick with one single thread for the season. This off-season thread has been pretty dead and I'm not sure if TV IV liveposting is quite as crazy as it used to be. I can't think of any other show in recent memory that warranted a new thread every week.

About the only advantage to closing the thread with each new episode is because it inevitably went to poo poo after about five days or so since we're all terrible at watching television.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Kasonic posted:

And the Ironborn have been shown as nothing but pussies since.

That's because they are, in fact, a bunch of pussies. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just a heads up, getting ready to move is eating up a lot more (all) of my free time, so unless you want a one-sentence OP from me, someone else gonna have to make the new thread later this week.

Again, I'm thinking it'd probably be better to have a single season thread rather than a new one every week, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

• Locked thread