Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I read on the show wiki that GRRM isn't writing an episode this season because he is concentrating on finishing book 6. Is that a good indication that it will be finished in the next year. or am I being a non-book reading sweet summer child?

He claimed that he had book 5 already written and good to go in a short epilogue at the end of book 4....in 2005. Book 5 did not come out until 2011. He hasn't even pretended that he has any part of book 6 really done, and it seems very unlikely that it will come out before the show literally finishes the story. I'm not doubting he'll finish book 6. I just don't see it happening in the next few years at all. He actually intends the next two books to be 1500 manuscript pages each (which is slightly shorter than book 5, but he had most of book 5 done in 2005, so....).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
EDIT: ^^^^ The funny thing about A Feast for Crows is that it literally does not include chapters for any of the "main characters" you guys were talking about a few posts up. Six loving years man.....

In theory, the books are different from LOST in that LOST was a TV show bound by the unpredictable nature of actor contracts, unknown numbers of seasons, studio interference and writer strikes that all combine to make it impossible to predict where your show is going and make trying to plan it out a foolish endeavour. One of the single most planned out TV shows that I know about is Babylon 5, and even that show had several actors leave the show unexpectedly (the lead actor was literally seeing hallucinations and was insane, and another actress got pushed off the show because one of the other actors decided he hated her), an uneven paced plot because they always thought they were about to get cancelled, followed up by an extra season after they had completely finished all the show's stories. Meanwhile, the TV show Breaking Bad is considered by lots of people to be a tightly woven masterpiece, but the actual writers from the show were literally making stuff up as they went, and often wrote the opening flashbacks of the seasons long before they even knew what events those flashbacks would be showing.

In contrast, A Song of Ice and Fire does not have to worry about actors, studio interference, cancelled seasons, etc. leaving GRRM free to write the exact story he wishes to write. In theory...

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Not only has Alfie read all the books, but he gets along with GRRM so well that the perpetual procrastinator actually shared future plot secrets with him.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Dinklage is not a book reader. In the commentary for the S4 finale he said shooting his dad on the toilet was the extent of his future knowledge and he knew jack about what he'd do in Season 5.

Reading the books wouldn't have helped him in that sense anyway since nothing happens in the books (luckily the show is changing his plot line).

• Locked thread