Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I stopped playing computer games years ago because every time I tried to play counterstrike steam wouldn't even loving load the game more than half the time. Steam is the worst thing ever and I will never reinstall that piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!

I was saying boo urns

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Quickscope420dad posted:

Okay attention doubled. Is it particular games, or literally any, and which are the most desirable / how to attain *business mode*
i'm not going to write an effort post about the tf2 economy because i would be here all day but suffice it to say that it's not worth your time and effort

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

When people rob my house they can't steal my physical games. The only downside is multiplayer games which stop being supported, though this usually only applies to free-to-play style games.

Also the trick to not getting annoyed with steam load times is to either use sleep mode on your computer for faster boot times or just never turn your computer off at the box. Power outages are regrettable inconveniences and you learn to deal with them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dicky B posted:

i'm not going to write an effort post about the tf2 economy because i would be here all day but suffice it to say that it's not worth your time and effort

I hate to be the guy to bring them up again, but earning money from Team Fortress 2 item mining is about as effective as Bitcoin mining. And the payout is the same... fake money.

You can farm all day in TF2 and if you earn $100 or if you earn $5000 it all goes to video games.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Yivgev posted:

i saw a person who was level 140 on steam today and i wanted to kill them in real life for being such a worthless piece of poo poo

i just started using steam a month ago. I'm lvl 2 :rock:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
buying pc games used to suck balls.

you'd buy the game, put the discs in your computer... back in the days of floppy disks, there'd be like 20 loving disks, and one would always mysteriously go bad. that sucked.

we then got cds, which were a little better - but you'd have to keep the cd in the drive! that sucked!

once the internet became popular, you'd always have to spend like 4 hours finding patches and then finding nocd patches that worked with the new versions and dealing with daemon tools - that poo poo frigging sucked.

now you right click, install, and everything is handled!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

you'd buy the game, put the discs in your computer... back in the days of floppy disks, there'd be like 20 loving disks, and one would always mysteriously go bad. that sucked.

we then got cds, which were a little better - but you'd have to keep the cd in the drive! that sucked!

once the internet became popular, you'd always have to spend like 4 hours finding patches and then finding nocd patches that worked with the new versions and dealing with daemon tools - that poo poo frigging sucked.

This. 100% this.
Also, a lot of the people that bitch about Steam not d/l their games are unaware that the program is designed NOT to download poo poo when your computer is busy with other poo poo. So if your machine is loving around with Windows Updates or running a virus scan or infested with malware or a billion other things, it won't download, or download slow and sporadically.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Sometimes you'd get everything installed and it wouldn't run due to some kind of RAM bullshit, or the sound wouldn't work since you had the wrong soundblaster drivers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

steam big picture and inhome streaming owns

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like digital distribution because at least when you buy the discs you, like, actually own it maaaaan. When Steam goes bankrupt and shuts down 20 years from now you'll wish you had listened to me!

-doesn't have a working disc-based game more than a few years old because scratches/digital rot/no longer compatible with your OS/lost it/it requires online authentication anyways-

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I like their business model, and I have trust that in 10 years my library of games will still be there. That's all you really need to run a successful business. A good reputation.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when i got scribblenauts on steam it turned out it didnt unlock for another 4 months in europe for some reason so i typed the games name into google to figure it out and the very first result was a link to a crack that let me play the steam version immediately

what im getting at: lol if you care about steam servers going down, you can already crack em if necessary

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't like digital distribution because at least when you buy the discs you, like, actually own it maaaaan. When Steam goes bankrupt and shuts down 20 years from now you'll wish you had listened to me!

-doesn't have a working disc-based game more than a few years old because scratches/digital rot/no longer compatible with your OS/lost it/it requires online authentication anyways-

Not a issue since Gaben will be a eternal being like the warhammer emperor.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

lmao this op has trouble running Steam

System Requirements

Windows XP, Vista, or 7
512 MB RAM
1 Ghz or faster processor

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xachariah posted:

lmao this op has trouble running Steam

System Requirements

Windows XP, Vista, or 7
512 MB RAM
1 Ghz or faster processor

probably has a 56k modem for his internet too.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Steam is a clunky piece of poo poo web browser. Perhaps if they actually improved the client instead of making hats it wouldn't be poo poo. Oh and it enables terrible developers to have a billion small patches that get in the way of me getting to play my game. Of course it could be worse it could be uplay.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

people like steam because it's the best thing to run a train on besides your mother

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Early Access is terrible but so are gamers so it's a perfect fit.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

how do those steam cards even work like it doesn't make sense that they have any value at all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Early Access is terrible but so are gamers so it's a perfect fit.

pay to beta test bad games lol

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

how do those steam cards even work like it doesn't make sense that they have any value at all
they only have value because bored kids have too much cash

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

basically a real estate bubble sim for gamers

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Steam started off nicely but it's turned into a pile of poo poo. I'm constantly getting bombarded with advertisements, invites to spammy poo poo groups I know nothing about, and fullscren apps constantly get interrupted to tell me all this poo poo. Even after disabling all the discernible notifications in settings. gently caress Steam.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Berious posted:

Don't care about DRM or whatever but every time I'll feel like playing a game I'll start Steam then it'll take maybe half a minute to get completely loaded up then it'll want to update Steam yet again for no discernible improvements and by then I've gone off the idea of playing anything. Plus it's a slow piece of poo poo even when it isn't updating for once and in 2014 for mods and so forth we can't even select which version of a game we'd want to play - it's either the latest or gently caress you. Yet people rave about Steam like it's the best thing ever. It's a piece of poo poo.

Thank you for reading.

Congrats on being the whitest person i've encountered today

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

Steam started off nicely but it's turned into a pile of poo poo. I'm constantly getting bombarded with advertisements, invites to spammy poo poo groups I know nothing about, and fullscren apps constantly get interrupted to tell me all this poo poo. Even after disabling all the discernible notifications in settings. gently caress Steam.

Second whitest, congrats

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

pay to beta test bad games lol

I bought an unfinished game and it turns out it was unfinished! drat you gaben :qq:

It's seriously depressing that a third of the active threads in Games are about hyping up goons into giving money to games that are a glorified alpha

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

quakster posted:

they only have value because bored kids have too much cash

Wait, they have value?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I bought an unfinished game and it turns out it was unfinished! drat you gaben :qq:

It's seriously depressing that a third of the active threads in Games are about hyping up goons into giving money to games that are a glorified alpha

Don't forget about Barkley 2 and that clown game, goon projects (lol) that are more vaporware than Star Citizen

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Robo Reagan posted:

Don't forget about Barkley 2 and that clown game, goon projects (lol) that are more vaporware than Star Citizen

The Barkley game looks rad as gently caress but the Dropsy guy had done like 4 kickstarters trying to live vicariously through his 2006 GBS meme and still has nothing to show for it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

but but it's goon approved game development.

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA
As a goon if prefer diesel punk over steam punk op

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

revmoo posted:

Cool story I also have Steam and haven't seen any of that or have any idea what you're talking about.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Press button, get video game. Its pretty convenient.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

steam is better than all the alternatives

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

how do those bitcoins even work like it doesn't make sense that they have any value at all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DSauer posted:

Press button, get video game. Its pretty convenient.

Ignore buying games on release date, enjoy 50% or more discount a few months down the road.

Gaben basically saved PC gaming

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because steam is the itunes of video games

steam manages to make it easier to buy games than it is to pirate them, considering almost every game :filez:'d you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it work right, and even then some of them end up glitchy or weird.

also the steam marketplace being numbered in real-world currency instead of volvo funpointz is amazing, because it convinced retards that their stupid internet hats have real value, because they think they made a profit, despite said profit being locked into a system which only lets you purchase video games and digital hats. p lmao.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 6, 2014

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

revmoo posted:

lol are you even thinking of the same program because none of this ever happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

also the steam marketplace being numbered in real-world currency instead of volvo funpointz is amazing, because it convinced retards that their stupid internet hats have real value, because they think they made a profit, despite said profit being locked into a system which only lets you purchase video games and digital hats. p lmao.
except in all probability they were going to use their money to buy video games eventually anyway, so lmao at your bad post

• Locked thread