Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I enjoyed this manga all the way through. I was a little surprised with the ending, though, because I was almost 100% sure it would end with a time skip of Asahi and Youko's child having their secret discovered in an empty classroom or something like that instead of the college angle.

With things being blown wide open as they are, would being a vampire even qualify as secret-worthy?

EDIT: Tarage, what was the original accent of the vampire on the last page?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
It's nice to know Youko won't have trouble making friends in university. It's also nice to know Asahi isn't going to be out of work as the class straight man.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

CommissarMega posted:

With things being blown wide open as they are, would being a vampire even qualify as secret-worthy?

EDIT: Tarage, what was the original accent of the vampire on the last page?

Kyushu or Shikoku. The Japanese is: "Aaah... dare mo oran kyoushitsu de hane nobasu to wa tamaran bai~" and "Eh?! Uso! Watashi mo sou tai!"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tarage posted:

Futari Wa Pretty Anon will be taking a break for the holidays, but we'll be back in January to resume work on Bird Cafe(Tori Kisa). If you haven't read it yet, now's the perfect time to get caught up. Not sure if there's a thread for it or not, but if there is, I'll be there whenever we have new chapters.

this series is also great, if maybe a little bit more lowkey than jitsu wa

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Man, good ending to a great manga. And also now I'll get more Bird Cafe to fill the void of cuteness left by this ending. Yay!

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
I have one last question for you folks before we let this thread die: What was your favorite chapter?

Mine was the burger chapter. Nothing boiled down the essence of Jitsu more for me than idiots running for something dumb while doing dumb things.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tarage posted:

I have one last question for you folks before we let this thread die: What was your favorite chapter?

Mine was the burger chapter. Nothing boiled down the essence of Jitsu more for me than idiots running for something dumb while doing dumb things.

Anything involving Akari. She's my favorite.:allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarage posted:

Tough choices, but they'd either be the advent of Maid Akarin, Shima re-enacting Nagisa's confession, or the My Monster Secret is... chapter.

Or the graduation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The hut in the middle of the mountains is a classic. Aizawa's confession (and the following chapter) were great. The first kiss. The confession. April's First. SEXUAL INTERCOURSE. The graduation speech.

But god drat if the meteor isn't the one that sticks out in my mind the most. LET'S SAVE THE WORLD.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The time they finally got together.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Artificer posted:

The time they finally got together.

In my case, it's applicable to both Kuromine and Youko, as well as Sakurada and Akari. Seriously, it huuurts knowing those chapters wouldn't be animated :(

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
id have to read it again to be sure

what a terrible fate

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CommissarMega posted:

In my case, it's applicable to both Kuromine and Youko, as well as Sakurada and Akari. Seriously, it huuurts knowing those chapters wouldn't be animated :(

God I'm still sore about that.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Tarage posted:

Chapter 191. Because I was 100% caught by surprise both that Youko was the Charismatic Female Pervert, and that Rin was going to get back to the past. Really should have seen at least the second one coming, but I just didn't

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my favorite is probably either the second or third time shima is arrested. between the setup, the visual punchline, the faces and the fact that it got pulled out an over the top amount in a short span of time really elevate it to one of my favorite gags in any manga

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Chapter 191. Because I was 100% caught by surprise both that Youko was the Charismatic Female Pervert, and that Rin was going to get back to the past. Really should have seen at least the second one coming, but I just didn't

You mean the future, right.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Hate-Senpai posted:

You mean the future, right.

nope, knew she was going to go to the future at some point, I didn't think she'd get to come back

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
It's either the maid cafe, which is one of the funniest things I've read, manga or otherwise, or the "sexual intercourse" two-parter, which has a little bit of everything the latter part of the manga excelled at: it was cute, it was funny, it used recurring jokes well, the art was great, it did a credible job of creating tension in a manga where even the main villain turned out to be a nice person. There was a bus full of Akanes at one point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of three: the maid cafe which has some of the most incredible faces in the entire manga, the sucking blood = sex shenanigans, or the entire sports festival bit where the principal went nuts with magical bullshit/sakurada confessed

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Too bad we never got to see Sakurada and Spinster on a date at the end :(

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
My favorite chapter by a wide margin was the maid cafe. It's probably the hardest I've ever laughed at a single manga chapter in my entire life.

My second favorite is probably the one where Shiho forgot how to be sexy, and started doing Youko's coll beauty poses. They always crack me up, and seeing someone almost physically crushed by how unsexy they are was very funny to me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Too bad we never got to see Sakurada and Spinster on a date at the end :(

Wait, didn’t we get a panel of that in one of the very last chapters?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Agronox posted:

Wait, didn’t we get a panel of that in one of the very last chapters?

Maybe I missed it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yeah, it was right at the very end, when they ran into Mikan and Okada also on a date.

Best chapter was the confession. Akane leaping exultant out from behind the school sign was the perfect sight gag.

E: You know, speaking of Oka, it's funny how they gave him psychic powers and then never really went anywhere with that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Rather than chapters, I think of it in arcs, of which my favorite was Kuromine-to-the-Future when he went back and met Youko's parents in high school. It had the perfect blend of comedy and seriousness.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

DrSunshine posted:

Rather than chapters, I think of it in arcs, of which my favorite was Kuromine-to-the-Future when he went back and met Youko's parents in high school. It had the perfect blend of comedy and seriousness.

The confirmation that Youko's dad that he was just as big an idiot as she is was pretty good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mirage posted:

E: You know, speaking of Oka, it's funny how they gave him psychic powers and then never really went anywhere with that.

It was probably meant as another later out in case he was going to stretch the story further.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

While many moments and chapters stood out, the one that jumps out to me is when Shiho became the rear end whisperer. There's even a panel where she literally does it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Favorite chapter, and objectively the best chapter, is Akarin maid cafe chapter, hands down.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think nothing beats the 'Shima re-enacting Nagisa's confession' chapter.

Goddamn was that amazing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Favorite chapter, and objectively the best chapter, is Akarin maid cafe chapter, hands down.

:hai:

But yeah, it's a good manga and i'm really happy to have read it. :3:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Maid Cafe chapter made me laugh the most. The faces, the situation, everything about it was perfect and on point.

VERY close second was the chapter where we found out that Youko's dad infiltrated the school as a woman. Holy poo poo was that just amazing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Hey, I just remembered one that is also a favorite of mine. When the demon Karen curses Youko and Kuromine with tickets to the amusement park, and condemns them to the punishment of genuinely thanking her and having a good time.

e: Basically any chapter in which Karen played a major part, because she was the best demon.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Zore posted:

I still think nothing beats the 'Shima re-enacting Nagisa's confession' chapter.

Goddamn was that amazing.

That was when I knew this was manga was something special. It was just so clever and funny.
I really appreciated how this manga used genuine drama to create comedy without desecrating (that's not quite the right word) the struggles and relationships of the characters.
Whenever things got just a little too stressful or sappy there was a punchline at exactly the right moment.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My favorite part was when Youko finally got to run for the bun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
These are some of my favorite panels/pages (Top are my least favorite, with the bottom being my absolute favorite panel from this manga)

Sorry if I go on for too long, but I really like this manga. Here's a little story as to why:

Before this manga came into my life, the only thing I had recently read that was in sorta the same genre that I really liked was Bonnouji. Afterwards, the only manga remotely rom-com that I kept coming back to read every once in a blue moon (meaning once every month, every two months) was Nisekoi. The only reason I did that was because Nisekoi was pure junk-food manga. I mean, Komi has some of the best blushing/dumb reaction faces but, aside from that ( Shuu/Ruri happening and maaaaaybe Marika), I deeply disliked almost everything about it. It was stockholm syndrome at its worst. Like, almost as bad as Bleach fans. Like a friend who kept watching How I Met Your Mother all the way to the end despite the fact that after season 5, we were both completely unenthusiastic about the show. Nisekoi's almost-year-long "elimination arc" (a.k.a. when they started weeding out the harem) was so infuriatingly long and the last few chapters were just... ugh. I kinda came to interpret why Ruri had the same bored expression: She had been trapped in this existential limbo for far longer than I had, having to deal with Raku and Onodera's wishy-washy bullshit.

Nisekoi often reminded me (for good and ill, but mostly ill) of Love Hina, which is one of the few manga that I can say I own, despite the fact that it hasn't aged all that well with me; except that at least in Love Hina, Keitaro and Naru actually start going out as a couple like at least two full volumes before the finale and, as a couple, they dealt with a few problems as a result. Not very deeply, mind you, but points for trying. Then I discovered this manga.

The truth is, about 3.5 years ago (thanks to this thread, actually!) I felt like it was ok to admit that I liked dumb rom-com manga aside from Bonnouji again. I liked most of the jokes, all the characters were charming as hell, but then I felt like it was about to go in the same direction as other manga/anime when we got to the Maid Cafe chapter. Don't misunderstand me, it is one of the funniest chapters in this manga. Hell: It's one of the funniest chapters of anything from this decade, maybe. Asahi's expression in this page is straight out of a horror manga, but applied to a chapter as funny as the one it is a part of makes it pure comedy gold. I almost asphyxiated out of the lack of air from laughing so much. But at the same time, I thought that it was going to be the same ol' story as in most rom-com / harem manga.

And then, a couple of months later, this happened.

Goddammit, my feelings actually hurt from seeing Youko feeling horrible about herself.

But then THIS loving HAPPENED:

These two adorable morons started going out! It had barely been a year (also almost a year of in-universe time) since I started reading this, but these two doofuses started going out! And it wasn't like there was some "Tee-hee! Back to the status quo!" bullshit or something. These morons actually started doing couple-stuff! And the comic didn't suffer! It actually became funnier! And sad! And serious! How the gently caress had this gone unnoticed for as long as it did? Then came the anime announcement. I mean sure, the anime was less than stellar compared to the manga. But oh my god the manga. It kept going, becoming funnier and better. And the chapters where dumb dudes/ladies cried, I too cried.

I mean: Sakurada confessed! AND HE WAS RECIPROCATED! Shima kept on being confirmed as being undisputedly the worst! And Shiho! The pervy gag character got development! Oh, and OKA! Little Quiet but snarky Oka got development! And Dumb Vampire Dad got a backstory! And I cried! This goddamn manga got me to care enough about a dumb but loving fictional dad! And the ending arc! That love/marriage confession would've made Domon Kasshu proud! And do you see where I'm going with this?

Once I get my replacement credit card (my previous one got cloned, unfortunately), I vow to start buying the manga. Because now, I feel and think that there IS a Rom-Com manga that I can have in my shelf on display instead of being archived in boxes.

I love these dummies and I'm gonna miss them.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Maid cafe with Let’s save the world! a close second

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This manga was so drat good. I'm re-reading and it's incredible how early some foreshadowing comes in. The random girls in their class Yuko befriends show up in the second chapter. You can see a hint of Oka's crush in the first Mikan chapter. Man, I wish I hadn't left my collection behind when I moved back to the states.

My favorite chapter was probably when Shima hit on Yuko's dad.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I have a lot of favorite moments, but I think my most favorite right now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kurui Reiten posted:

I have a lot of favorite moments, but I think my most favorite right now:

That's my favorite non-comedy moment, I think, made all the better by all of their friends being their because all of their friends' kids are in the school too.

• Locked thread