Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SpacePig posted:

That's my favorite non-comedy moment, I think, made all the better by all of their friends being their because all of their friends' kids are in the school too.

I don't think there are any tiny Okayama, Sakurayama, or Shimayama kids at the graduation. Akane must have invited them specifically.

Still disappointed I couldn't spot Shiho's dad in the final chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Truthism might be over, but it's author still lives!!!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-04/my-monster-secret-eiji-masuda-to-launch-new-manga-on-january-25/.125937

quote:

This year's sixth issue of Akita Shoten's Weekly Shōnen Champion magazine announced on Thursday that manga creator Eiji Masuda will launch a new manga in the magazine's ninth issue on January 25. The new series, Shūkan Shōnen Hachi (Weekly Shonen Hachi), will have a 61-page first chapter with a color opening page.

The manga centers on Hachi Bonjin ("Bonjin" means "mediocre"), who has always wanted to become a "protagonist." He has a new dream to attend the "Onigahama Manga Academy," even though he's not a genius.

Masuda launched Jitsu wa Watashi wa in the magazine in 2013, and ended the series in February. Akita Shoten published the manga's 22nd and final compiled volume on March 8. Seven Seas Entertainment is releasing the manga in English under the title My Monster Secret. The company will publish the manga's ninth volume on January 16.

A television anime adaptation of the manga premiered in Japan in July 2015. Crunchyroll streamed the series as it aired in Japan. The manga also received a stage play adaptation that ran in Tokyo's Shinjukumura Live theater in May 2016.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boy wants to go to manga academy to become a shonen protagonist

im going to assume the silliest possible interpretation is true until shown otherwise

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tollymain posted:

boy wants to go to manga academy to become a shonen protagonist

im going to assume the silliest possible interpretation is true until shown otherwise

Same here :allears: I hope this is a comedy as well, and that our beloved JiWaWaWa idiots make an appearance :allears:

Hope of hopes: The school Youko and Asahi are attending is this one, which is why we have another dumbpire just chillin'.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

CommissarMega posted:

Same here :allears: I hope this is a comedy as well, and that our beloved JiWaWaWa idiots make an appearance :allears:

Hope of hopes: The school Youko and Asahi are attending is this one, which is why we have another dumbpire just chillin'.

Wouldn't be out of hand, considering he's had cameos from Sakura Discord in Jitsu. Heck, Mikan is related to a SD character.

Sadly we won't be scanlating this. We just don't have the staff to allocate beyond what we've already committed to take on: Bird Cafe. Hopefully someone picks it up though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tarage posted:

Wouldn't be out of hand, considering he's had cameos from Sakura Discord in Jitsu. Heck, Mikan is related to a SD character.

Wait, what? where was this?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Tarage posted:

Sadly we won't be scanlating this. We just don't have the staff to allocate beyond what we've already committed to take on: Bird Cafe. Hopefully someone picks it up though.

Hmmm, but on the other hand, have you considered not not scanlating this?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Leave Tarage to translate Bird Cafe. It's a good manga. As far as I've heard. It's not overtly sexualised is it? I've wanted to get started reading it for a while.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zeruel posted:

Leave Tarage to translate Bird Cafe. It's a good manga. As far as I've heard. It's not overtly sexualised is it? I've wanted to get started reading it for a while.

Unless you find chicken breasts attractive, no.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
They have the occasional "pretty bird lady making me flustered" jokes but the art isn't trying to be titillating or sexy so it's not the usual creepshow parade. The gag is used sparingly, in any event, and usually defuses with "oh right, she's a bird". It's by and large a cute and nice and funny series

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

CommissarMega posted:

Wait, what? where was this?

They show up in the background from time to time. Also go back and read the chapter where Mikan is getting ready to finalize her plans to move away. I believe it's one of the Oka/Mikan chapters. She talks about 'Saku-nee'.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Spoiled myself a bit on the RAWs of the first Shuukan Shounen Hachi. (I can't read any of it though).

Cannot wait for it to be translated. Face game is still good.

Also can't wait for more Bird Cafe. Gone through what was done a year or so ago twice already. It is adorable.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guess who's back with a hot new manga!

Here's the thread.

http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/168601523/shuukan-shounen-hachi-chapter-1

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's probably the mullet that is the source of all their problems.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think I see some Jitsu-wa-esque characters in this already!! Oh man I am excited. The premise, it's like Bakuman but with all the intense passion and youthful energy of the later arcs in Jitsuwa. Can't wait to see more of this!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hopefully unlike Bakuman it will be good.

Considering how good Jitsu wa was it's probably gonna be great.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are these translations uploaded anywhere? Or will I have to check 4chan 24/7 for the next thread to pop up?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Upped on MangaDex now.

https://mangadex.com/chapter/97493/1

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ahahahaha yessss

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the Good poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pity, i was expecting it to be another silly gag love comedy. oh well, i'm sure it will have its own merits.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno. There was plenty of dimness! And as someone who constantly falls short of his own expectations, I can relate with Hachiki. Also, cute boys! :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

pity, i was expecting it to be another silly gag love comedy. oh well, i'm sure it will have its own merits.
Isn't the other series they were doing a serious horror series?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It also literally has Akane in it. I can't imagine it'll be too wildly off from JWWW, even if it's not a wacky romance.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

SpacePig posted:

It also literally has Akane in it.

Mangakane.

Mangaka-ne.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
At first I was impressed that he managed to not just reuse an character designs from Jitsuwa, but then Akane and Man-Nagisa showed up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'll always be a fan of the author's ability to convey emotion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

At first I was impressed that he managed to not just reuse an character designs from Jitsuwa, but then Akane and Man-Nagisa showed up.

And also what appears to be a vampire... or a girl with suspiciously bat-like hair ribbons!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

And also what appears to be a vampire... or a girl with suspiciously bat-like hair ribbons!

I personally hope it's not just a callback myself. That said, I can understand why Masuda would want people to link this new manga to Jitsu Wa. Also, is this going to the the Shoukan Shounen Hachi thread too?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah this thread's been good but its time to let it rest. let's make a new one

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 2 is out - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shuukan-Shounen-Hachi/Ch-002---Read-Online?id=404642

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mangadex link is up, as well: https://mangadex.com/chapter/101097/1

drat, we need a new thread for Weekly Shounen Hachi! I think it's has potentialt to be as rad as My Monster Secret! :dance:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Mangadex link is up, as well: https://mangadex.com/chapter/101097/1

drat, we need a new thread for Weekly Shounen Hachi! I think it's has potentialt to be as rad as My Monster Secret! :dance:

VAMPIRE CONFIRMED. Maybe. Possibly. It's not inconceivable. I mean, there's no real guarantee but there IS a strong hint of a possible suggestion, right? PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT IMAGINING IT.

I suddenly feel like taking juuuust a little bite... <Insert panel with Hachi's neck exposed and vulnerable>

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that would mean she wants to bone him

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
A school full of weird people where weird stuff happens, possibly involving monsters? Way to stretch your story-telling wings, there, Masuda.

I kid. It looks like it could be interesting as long as it doesn't disappear up its own butt re: how awesome it is being a mangaka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the wings are probably a fakeout and it's just a weird backpack

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would mean she wants to bone him

No, that would mean he wants to bone him. Which I ain’t exactly ruling out here.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Part of me really hopes Saru and Mike get together- is this what being a fujo feels like? Even if I'm a dude?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommissarMega posted:

Part of me really hopes Saru and Mike get together- is this what being a fujo feels like? Even if I'm a dude?
Ah, the ever-elusive fudanshi! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Ah, the ever-elusive fudanshi! :dance:

Fundoshi!

EDIT: Also yes, someone really needs to get on that new thread! It's just not appropriate to keep posting it here.

• Locked thread