Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Terper posted:

It wasn't the content itself, it was how it was presented and paced in the anime that I didn't like.

I was OK with it because this episode was actually them pretty much hurrying through the super boring intro parts in order to hurry up and move towards the good stuff. There's basically no way to make the intro to this anything but boring and generic because the beginning of the manga was super duper boring and generic. There's not a lot to work with when your content is "Kuromine is a coward and Dumbpire is an idiot".

I'm holding out for when they actually introduce the rest of the cast because it doesn't start getting good until everyone starts bouncing off each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sometimes I like to go back and compare the current art style to the art style in the first couple of chapters and shake my head in wonderment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MrAptronym posted:

I knew it was coming, but they always get me with the execution. The gender-swap character thing almost lost me at first (especially since its been done twice before here) but they really use each one differently and he is just presented so matter-of-factly without a word of the usual dumb baggage that comes along.

I like that they are bringing their families in more. its the natural progression now that they are together.

Normally you'd expect a romantic comedy harem series to wind down or end when the protagonist picks a girl, but this hasn't lost any steam at all and the author is even using them being together as a new way to set stuff up. It's impressive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

God drat it, I knew it was coming and I still laughed like an idiot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Holy poo poo Kuromine's sister is fantastic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Dude. He's a high schooler.

Ain't nothing that says it can't happen a few years down the road. :q:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Artificer posted:

If anything, Youko will.

Youko takes way too much after her father to be a scary threatening straight man under any circumstances.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Our demon principal isn't scared of Youko in that scene.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh my god, the wedding panel. :kimchi:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Wittgen posted:

They're cold but they're not soggy. It's a pretty refreshing treat in the summer.

This is definitely one of those cultural things that I don't get because it's outside my experience. Just the thought of eating a bunch of cold noodles sounds :barf: to me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cathair posted:

Nah, this is just a matter of taste rather than some major cultural divide. There's plenty of delicious western recipes for cold pasta salad with various kinds of noodles. I can attest that even plain spaghetti noodles, freshly cooked and then chilled, have a gratifying texture, although rather bland of course until mixed with a sauce.

Someone else mentioned sogginess, but in my experience most kinds of noodles- be they rice, wheat, or whatever- don't really get soggy just from being put in water, unless they're already horribly overcooked. A lot of people do like to horribly overcook their noodles though, especially here in America. :sigh:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that cold noodles are only a Japanese thing. It's just not something I've ever personally been exposed to.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm still sticking with my Schrodinger's kids theory.

There's probably some good reaction images/avatars you could make out of the dead eyes this chapter!

This entire manga is basically a collection of amazing reaction faces.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Chrono Trigger: Jitsu Wa Edition.

I'm loving dying.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Could that mean Shima's female side is the second great charismatic pervert? The one that's ruined the future?

It would be way funnier if , given how different Shiho's two sides were, if Shima's other side was actually a super nice, kind, and selfless girl.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mirage posted:

Mikan still doesn't know about Youko and vice versa (I, er, think). Otherwise, yes.

Kuromine will end up wondering why the hell he was trying so hard all these years.

He was trying really hard because up until relatively recently in the manga letting Mikan know anyone's dirty secrets was lethal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Holy :laffo:, the crowd of kids doing the "ugh" expression.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

How do the expressions keep topping themselves? I thought we'd hit peak goofy expression ages ago, but it keeps happening.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Shimada's secret is that he's the first male pervert, and all the poo poo he's going through right now will harden (ahaha) him into the Charismatic Pervert 2, strengthening his powers in a way that 'natural' perverts like Shiho couldn't hope to match.

I'm pretty sure the word "charismatic" and Shimada are directly opposed like magnets of the same polarity.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

:sever: This is incredibly lovely, Mei is in actual love and she has no idea that she's the Fallback option. This is like the lead-in to basically every failed relationship ever. Yet it's so realistic, I cannot complain about it, since they're dumb teenagers. :smith:

I don't think this is a fair way to frame it. This manga is absolutely chock full of people who are simply not going to be able to hook up with their first loves under any circumstances and it's a lot healthier and better in the long term for everyone involved to attempt to find happiness with someone else than it is to sit and pine and stew endlessly about how you weren't able to hook up with your ~true love~. Oka took a shot with Mikan and was totally and unambiguously rejected with no room for interpretation. That sucks for him and it hurts a lot, but that kind of thing happens, and given how forceful her rejection was it's probably better that he gives it up rather than potentially poisoning the friendship they have with unwanted advances.

There's nothing wrong with him at least attempting a relationship with Mei to see how it works out, especially since he's already got a pretty deep and personal understanding of her feelings and emotions out of the gate due to his mind reading ability when that kind of thing normally takes a long time to develop. Obviously you can't build the foundation of a relationship on pity, but the very fact that he cares enough about Mei that doesn't want her to have to suffer like he is already speaks well about his intentions, since it would be just as easy for him to walk off without a word and continue brooding.

tldr Oka is a good person if the first thing that comes to mind after a rejection as harsh as the one that he just went through is empathy for someone else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

That's a charitable way to interpret it, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that he's attempting to initiate a relationship under false pretenses. He's doing it out of pity for Mei, and not because he actually loves her, and she has no idea. It's not being truthful, it's something he does acting with superior knowledge, which is really unfair to her. Think about it: you've been going out with your crush, and later they drop on you that you were a second option. That'd feel like poo poo!

I mean that's not to say that they couldn't develop into genuine love after a while, but it's still not a great thing to do on his part because he's not being truthful about his own feelings to her.

He literally just says "Mei, if you're okay with it, how about we go out together?". He doesn't say "Mei, I truly love you thiiiiiis much and want to be with you forever". There's no false pretenses there at all; it's completely and totally normal for people to try going out to see if chemistry develops without feelings of Deep True Love, despite how this Romantic Comedy manga frames relationships. This is how things like blind dates and dating sites exist and work. It's very rare that people just see each other and instantly fall in love storybook style. Don't forget that Oka started off not liking Mikan, either, but spent a lot of time with her and Asahi and came to love her as he did. He didn't have an automagical connection at first sight.

My interpretation of this could change if it turns out he's trying to use their relationship in a poisonous or malicious way("hey, Mikan, look, I don't need you anymore!"), but I don't think Oka has ever been presented as that spiteful or angry.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Well... I mean. Yeah, okay, that's a fair enough point. I've binge-read the "r/relationships" thread recently so I guess I'm a bit primed to see ":siren: CATASTROPHIC RELATIONSHIP MELTDOWN :siren:" everywhere.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Basically what kanos said, except as someone who has gone out with someone explicitly because "I just want to go out with someone, doesn't matter who" without having a "let's see where this goes and if it develops into something more" mentality, that can be a ... bad thing.

Oh, it most definitely could sour pretty badly in a lot of ways. I just feel like Mei has been presented as level-headed enough and Oka has been presented as not dickish enough to let it go horribly. Oka just took a big emotional body blow and he's pretty torn up, but I feel like he's seen enough of lovely relationships with his parents that he wouldn't willingly inflict an awful relationship on someone.

Basically the only characters in this series who has been presented as unambiguously terrible are Shimada and Ryou so I'm giving Oka the benefit of the doubt. :pray:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That's a pretty great resolution to the knotty issue. Oka was making an honest attempt but his heart wasn't in it for obvious reasons so he's not just a shithead, and Mei is a great person who is also extremely perceptive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zeruel posted:

The whole "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU KUROMINE" was kinda lovely/dumb. Ain't his fault people fall for him :colbert:

Yeah it's not really his fault that he's in a relationship but other people are crushing all over him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Sandman posted:

What did Genjirou do that makes you feel the need to libel him so?

While not as disgusting as Shimada, Genjirou definitely displays a pretty snotty attitude towards actually having a girlfriend here. It's pretty easy to imagine Shimada acting like that if he found a girl who could somehow tolerate his presence without money.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Via stealing Youko's mom from right under Genjirou's nose!

Actually thinking about it, they'd probably make a more compatible couple than the current arrangements.

e: Is it explained why they go through the transformation process at this age? I thought it was triggered by the blood-sucking.

Maybe it's like some kind of late vampire puberty or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zore posted:

I feel like maybe this enormous cabal of in-the-know people should uh clue Youko in about what's going on.

Maybe not literally everything but "hey, someone wants you to reveal yourself and not graduate" seems appropo

I'm hoping people explain to Youko roughly what's going on, because one of the best ways to make sure she doesn't repeat what happened to Genjuro is to know what happened to Genjuro and why.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

Yeah but they probably don't want her to feel like she's a time bomb and will ruin everyone's lives. Also she's very dumb.

As long as she's in the dark she kind of is! Genjuro only exploded due to hating what he is and denying it utterly. I don't think Kuromine's target endgame here should be "Youko makes it through graduation without anyone else finding out her secret"; that's pretty much impossible now that Shirayuki is here and knows exactly who she is and what's going on and can easily trap and expose Youko pretty much at her leisure. I think Kuromine's endgame should be "Youko's friends all find out her secret and realize that despite being a vampire she's still Youko and is their friend".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'll always be a fan of the author's ability to convey emotion.

• Locked thread