Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Twiddy posted:

Also man I am becoming intimately familiar with the first page of Chapter 132.

Seriously, it drives me crazy. Was there another group that did this at some other time, or did someone else just start translating more recent chapters?

Also, I can't believe how cute this manga continues to be. I'll always appreciate the non-cute one-offs, with the maid café being the high-water mark for me, but I just love how cute everyone in this thing is. Karen is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I would rather slow-ish releases with decent proofreading than fast releases with first-draft garbage. Don't really understand why people get so impatient.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Gotta be Akarin.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Sonata Mused posted:

My order of Vol. 1 came yesterday! Remember when Asahi couldn't lie? Yeah, me either.

Saw this in a Barnes & Noble the other day, and goddamn that old art. And I honestly completely forgot that this whole thing was him being bad at lying. Now he does it basically professionally.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Cryophage posted:

Like this?

Cryophage always fuckin' killing it with these avatars. poo poo.

e: Does Batoto delete older chapters of stuff if it's been officially localized? I can't seen to find the Akarin chapter.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 13, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Genjiro using one of Yoko's Cool Beauty poses loving slayed me. I love this dumb manga.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tarage posted:

http://bato.to/reader#7f75ba7ee906ffbc

Hold on to your hearts and butts.

Incredibly cute, and vaguely ominous. Cool. Either this is going to lead to a proclamation to change the future or a bunch of wacky Mikan v Nagisa hijinks. Or both, I suppose. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

a kitten posted:

My theory is that box-head girl is there to change the future to prevent the two of them from marrying. Presumably for some cute and dumb reason.

I kinda hope that this is the case. That'd be pretty cute. I also like the idea of it being someone from this time (the uniform is the same), just bullshitting them and having no idea that anyone is a time-traveler, but I think that'd be a bit too much after being a cliffhanger.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

it's an akane clone

I think her expression at the top of the page rules this out pretty completely. She seems pretty mad about this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I said this in a spoiler earlier, but I honestly hope it's someone from modern day who doesn't know anything about monsters or time travel or anything, and just likes Asahi. But being a dark Shinada future descendant would also be pretty funny.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

dordreff posted:

On the one hand it's cool to think of what a Shimada descendant would be like, but on the other hand, the very existence of one requires that Shimada at some point has sex with a woman which is a hosed up concept and I for one will not stand for it.

Maybe they'd be mutually awful creeps that just happen to find each other. Or someone's guess of the box hiding a screw is right, but it's Ryo returned from the future, and is avoiding Shimada by putting a box on his head and wearing a different outfit. But it won't work for long.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Maybe seeing him triggered an emotion that would normally trigger when she saw him in her time, but couldn't process it right since he's younger and it didn't quite register the same?

Also, she did hit on him by sort of outwardly attacking him, so who knows?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Fellis posted:

only 16 more chapters till i can finally read fuckin 132

Even then, I'm probably gonna wait for this translation to read it again because they gave Yoko the worst goddamn accent.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

More Akari = a Good chapter.

More Akari and a "demonic" Karen appearance. Literally could not ask for more.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I thought you were saying there was a callback to an incident where someone wrote something on her using the sun. It was a clever reveal that it wasn't pen, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a callback.

Either way, still a clever gag.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

There Bias Two posted:

Woah, woah, woah -- speak for yourself! One more slip up and we're chaining you guys to a radiator.

How will they continue to release chapters if they're chained up? We got a good thing going here! Don't ruin it!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

CommissarMega posted:

Agreed!

We should chain up their families instead, and hold them for ransome! :unsmigghh:

(Note: We shouldn't actually do this.)

We take them and their families...

On a nice outing to the park. Force them to have a fun, worry-free day!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I can also do some proofreading if you need it.

E: didn't realize you said message. I'll PM you later.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Momochi peeking out of the eagle's mouth is my favorite panel in a while.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's got a bunch of unnecessary swearing and an overdone accent from Yoko. It's not good. Please don't read it even if you want to see a bunch of chapters into the future for some reason.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
"Don't poo poo us, dawg. Just tell us for reals."
- An actual line of Yoko's dialogue from the 4chan translated chapter 132

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That chapter was utterly insane. Stark raving mad.

I seriously can't explain this chapter any other way. Jesus christ.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Just use the accent from that 4chan translated chapter and have it be an overblown Brooklyn accent with a whole bunch of swearing for no reason.:v:

I'd say that you need to balance representational accuracy with how easy and pleasant it is to read. There's no 1:1 comparison, so basically whatever should be fine so long it's obviously different, but still readable.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's hard for me to pick a favorite character in this thing, but Karen pretty much always guarantees a good chapter for me.

I keep forgetting that this is a gag comic first and foremost, so I keep expecting different things from this manga since I'm reading Nisekoi at the same time. It's kind of refreshing to have a romcom manga be so silly most of the time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, Karen is def. my favorite.

Also, expecting different things - sooo, it's surprising when a romcom actually has romance and comedy and is actually legitimately good?

(I'll take any opportunity to poo poo on nisekoi.)

Yes, actually. Nisekoi has been a loving slog for awhile, and now I'm just waiting for it to end in some sort of sunk cost fallacy. Jitsu Wa is still genuinely entertaining, and is pretty well done with any sort of will they/won't they drama. Having the characters actually be together and having fun is great, rather than them trying to have fun and wondering whether the other likes them.

Like, Lovely Complex is seriously one of my favorite romcoms of all time, and it's basically because the romance is solve early, and in a very satisfying way, so that it can just go back to being funny without having to worry about when they'll finally kiss or whatever. Jitsu Wa is basically the same thing, with characters that are in love accepting weird things about the other, but with a zanier premise and characters.

e:
I basically just wish more things were like Lovely Complex, and less like Love Hina.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not sure I'd say LoveCom solves the romance quickly...but once it does, it's solved definitively and then keeps going into fun places afterwards.

I watched the show before I read the manga, and IIRC, it's a done deal by halfway through the season, so that's pretty quick by anime standards. It definitely felt more drawn out in the manga, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Xelkelvos posted:

Of course no one's really put much though into mapping it out and just going straight towards them ending up with Asahi. Oh well

What fun would it be if they didn't do that, though?

e: On another note, it took me until the most recent chapter of a different manga I read to realize you guys were the same team translating it. I really love Bird Café as well, please keep up the good work.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 5, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

JosephWongKS posted:

EDIT: That said, it's surprising that (apparently) none of Karen's fellow students has tried to date or romance her over the years. She's such an angel, after all.

She's not an angel, she's a demon! She's been asked, but the demon that she is, she is forced to break their hearts (gently, and then assist them in building up the courage to ask out someone else they like)!

Seriously, though, she's been there long enough that she was friends with Yoko's parents. There's no way she hasn't been asked out before. I mean, poo poo, even Akari has a student who likes her.

Xelkelvos posted:

I eagerly await Shima's awakening into something that Shiho/Shiro finds endearing enough to marry.

See, this was what I was thinking before the reveal at the end. I was thinking that she knew to react to him that way without having really met him because he was her grandfather, but by the end, that just sort of became a sort of horrifying concept.

Also, has Momochi interacted with Mikan yet? Rin not recognizing Shiho basically means that she's not a grandmother to her, and Momochi not recognizing Mikan would basically mean the same thing. I honestly can't remember if they've actually met yet.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
What an awful future it must be. Goddamn.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

DoubleDonut posted:

Change the future because it has to be Shiho/Aizawa

Also, Shima/Aizawa. But, you know, the brother.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The Un-charismatic Male Pervet

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Is this gonna wrap around to Shimada being able to accept her as a werewolf? And, like, that's how they fall in love or whatever?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Boogaleeboo posted:

There was a throwaway line in there that leads to the obvious conclusion of Shima being the werewolf that sent the message, and thus his girl side and her dude side being the ones that have a kid. It's suitably embarrassing enough to not want to talk about it to a kid in the future, still involves her and Shima, and maintains a pure timeline where Shima never really scores. But watch it be something even crazier. I'm just happy I'm reading something amusing where that premise could even be possible.

Haha, holy poo poo, I've never wanted a guess to be so right and so wrong at the same time. I seriously need it to be next Wednesday already.:neckbeard:

a kitten posted:

But also: shaaaaaaa

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Ethiser posted:

I think we can safely say that a charismatic pervert is very much the opposite of whatever Shima is.

So, his werewolf side, then?:v:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

There Bias Two posted:

Also: Why does shiho get to be the personality that is out all the time versus her counterpart?

Shiho is the were, Shiro is the wolf.

Fellis posted:

Wait where did it show that shima is a werewolf or has another side or is that just speculation that y'all are using spoiler tags on for some reason

Some people consider speculation spoilers. I'm not really sure why, but I'll just usually respond with them if the original poster thought it was enough to bother tagging.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Inflammatory posted:

are we sure that wasn't shiho, though?

I think Shiho would've remembered that she'd told Kuromine that, though, and wouldn't have been so surprised that it was his idea.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The decision to just draw the characters with enormous goddamn eyes honestly helped a lot. Also, a dedication to the silliness that this didn't really have right out of the gate.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The scared faces are definitely the best, and this is pretty much my favorite page of anything ever.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
We were just talking about how good the faces in this are, and Shiho's nervous face in the beginning is killing me. This manga is so dumb and cute.

Also, I'm not really sure how to describe it, but the idea of Shima not going for perverts would feel better if he were more likable, or maybe a pervert in the same way as Shiho. Instead, it just makes Shima come off as gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The fact that her future self has a kid with him means he was probably accepting of her being a werewolf, so she probably thought that maybe Shima could be another human she could tell her secret to.

What actually just struck me as typing this is that this is sort of new territory for Shiho. Rather than having someone reject her because she is secretly a werewolf, she is rejected because she is publicly a pervert.

• Locked thread