Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

There Bias Two posted:

The romance just provides a foundation for the comedy, rather than being the main focus.
While this is true, the romance is actually really well done, especially the heartbreak parts. The full page of Aizawa's stricken look after hearing Kuromine tell Mikan that he likes Youko is sadgirl.jpg. Her later telling him "Please don't say anything yet, I think I know how it's going to go and I need some time to steel myself" is also a fantastic bit of characterization. Tiny alien girl can't catch a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Feckless Four would have been better. :colbert:

So when did Mikan interact enough with the Mysterious Student Council President to include her in that group anyway?

Mmm, panty crumbs ...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I just spent ten minutes trying to wrap my head around that Special Maid Kyun-Kyun Parfait.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Rapid Escalation: the Manga.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Nobody gets Shima!

He's the wind, baby!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

This chapter is the first time in this series where I suffered from "same face syndrome." For a moment I confused the closeup of Touko on p13 for Shiho and thought the Charismatic Pervert cameo was her, which seemed all sorts of wrong.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The sexy-pose-off between Youko and Minagawa while Rin wanders around bored in the background got me good.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Just sitting here looking at the last page, trying to figure out the geometry of Shiho's spine. Baby got back, apparently.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Jitsu wa watashi wa ... JET JAGUAR!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Huh, are these the first (before they debut in the regular series) mentions of both pervert juice and Youko's bat ears?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like "student characters eventually becoming teachers at the school they met" is way, way overused in manga IMO.

Other things way, way overused in manga:
  • Thousand-year-old demon in twelve-year-old girl body
  • Students who are actually monsters
  • Sexy girls giving boys nosebleeds
  • Love-struck girls going "Notice me, senpai!"
  • Middle-aged magical girls
  • Pigeons wearing talking glasses (seriously, that trope is everywhere these days)
... I think we'll be okay.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

SpacePig posted:

Seriously, it drives me crazy. Was there another group that did this at some other time, or did someone else just start translating more recent chapters?

Our old pals at 4chan got a bug up their butts because the scanlators were 40 chapters behind and decided to fart out the current chapter at the time to, I dunno, "show them" or something.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

And then she copied him by pure reflex

because of course

Well, she saw a potential rival to Kuromine's affections and had to prove herself better. Little self-esteem issue there. (Gee, wonder where she got that from.) It's also why she gets so worked up when Shiho comes pervertin' around.

Also, hey, independent confirmation that Sakurada really is a teenager.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I was thinking that Momochi is probably descended from Asahi's second wife. Which would indicate why future Mikan seems so wistful and depressed.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

It's weird to say this about a chapter where Aizawa builds a gigantic skyscraper out of cake, but I really appreciate the slower, more character-driven chapters like this. Mostly because it makes the characters themselves more than just one-note "fun" types.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

There Bias Two posted:

Imagine if all demons had this weakness to sweet stuff -- The world's best demon hunters would also overlap with the world's best bakers. Aaaaaaand I think I just found a new hit manga premise.

I shall call it

Devil's Cake

Too on the nose.

Devil's Food, however ...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

No! You've been doing it wrong this whole time, now start over from the very beginning and do it RIGHT!

Though that would also give you a chance to fix the whole "Charismatic Female Pervert" thing.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

It's interesting that Mikan has pretty much dropped the whole "newspaper muckraker" part of her story. I mean, here she's confronted with a wolfman and an alien (and a demon and a :ninja:) and she's, like, totally cool with it.

Actually, what secrets are Kuromine even protecting anymore? Mikan doesn't know Youko is a vampire, and his trio of friends are still in the dark, and, well, that's about it now. Unless you start getting the underclassmen involved, and even then Kuromine doesn't know about the succubus.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Dear Shiho: If you absolutely don't want to fall in love with Shima at the fireworks festival, then don't confess to anyone at the fireworks festival. You've been in this manga for a long time now, you've seen probably a hundred wacky mixups, you know how this works.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

paragon1 posted:

The author doesn't have to keep track of which girls know what anymore! I'm so happy for them. :3:

Mikan still doesn't know about Youko and vice versa (I, er, think). Otherwise, yes.

Kuromine will end up wondering why the hell he was trying so hard all these years.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Nope, he a full-on murderer and Kuromine will rush up only to find a handful of ashes where Youko once stood. The story will then turn into a disturbingly violent revenge fantasy.

:v:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Meh, he's close to graduating. Let her have this one.

I pumped my fist at least three times while reading this, by the way.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, hm. Wait a sec.

Where's Karen at the end, there?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Roland Jones posted:

I wonder where this is going to go, actually. A lot of Akari's stuff is tied up with her not being able to have a relationship and all, and while it's not the entirety of her character it's a well the series can't go back to now.

There's been character progression for most everybody recently, which makes me think we're approaching a turning point or endgame.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Tarage posted:

http://bato.to/reader#70922a1eca7d1bf6

See those credits? That's the redraw hell we are currently in. Anyway, enjoy.

It takes a village to scanlate a manga. (Good job to the crew.)

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Obviously the interference is the principal protecting everybody's secrets. And seriously, if Oka could clearly hear Kuromine's thoughts, the whole school would have been blown wide open a long time ago.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

unpronounceable posted:

:ohdear: I just want everyone to be happy.

So does Oka.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah, sucky as it is, this isn't the worst news we've gotten today.

Thanks for what you guys do.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Go gently caress 'em up, Oka.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Tarage posted:

Hold on to your butts!

Our pretty, pretty butts.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

So ... looks like future Aizawa just changed her own past and ceased to exist. Paradoxes are a bitch, man.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

a kitten posted:

I'm glad Youko has mastered the subtle and nuanced art of acting.

I guess everyone is just going "Yep, girl got fangs, so what" at this point.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

"Dang, the past few weeks have been really dramatic and heartfelt, with a big sci-fi twist even! What a great sendoff for Aizawa! Now let's see what shenanigans the gang gets up to this wee -- well poo poo."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

When even Genjiro starts asking "Okay, what the hell is wrong with this person" ...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Nobody mentioning the brief flashbacks to Chapter 1's art style? Okay then.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Agronox posted:

Youko didn't recognize her mom's maiden name back then?

Ahh, there are probably a million Ryokuenzakas running around Japan. It's like Smith.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Did Genjirou call him "Kuromine" there? When did that slip out?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Interesting detail: Genjirou's father wasn't twenty feet tall.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe the rejection of his vampire self caused so much internal rage that he warped his body too far. He saw vampires as monsters so that's what he became.

Huh. That sort of ties into the theme of Jitsu Wa as a whole, doesn't it. "Actually, I am ..." You become what you think you are, and with the right impetus you can change your inner self and thus alter your whole life. So maybe there's still a Good End lurking for Genjirou after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Tarage posted:

I already went to the con. It was last week. That's where one of the 100,000+ bastards there gave me a cold.

Rule #1 of con-going: NEVER TOUCH ANYONE.

• Locked thread