Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Another alumnus of the SDLM thread! I love the facial expressions in this one, it's so friendly-looking and fun -- such huge, huge mouths!! As we're fond of calling, it's ":haw:-the Manga".

Though I guess it's more like :drac:-the Manga, isn't it? Hah!

EDIT: I also think it's worth comparing this to a certain other Vampire romcom manga. Specifically, the reason why it's funny and not rather rote and bland is entirely due to the execution, even though the premise of "supernatural harem" is really similar.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's done a very good job of toeing the line between absurd comedy and romance, though obviously it's focused more on the former than the latter. I look forward to any other supernatural/sci-fi creatures it can throw at us.

My money is on "Zombie girl" next, personally.

As for Rosario, I've only really read the first 10 volumes that were available at my local library, but it didn't have that much fanservice. It was just really really repetitive: "Bad guy is introduced, bad guy turns into monster, hero gets saved by vampire girl turning super-saiyan." And the art style felt really bland too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually, this chapter was redeemed solely by:

-- while hugging. It's the little touches to subvert the cliche that make it, in this manga.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Those two chapters were fantastic! The best chapters I've read in a while! It's incredible how much better this comic is when it's piling goofy monster stuff one after another and doing stupid gags for the whole chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pretty much my feelings exactly. :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Every chapter is just so fun. I can't wait for this to get an anime.

Just the opening two pages was incredibly hilarious. :allears: In fact, the expressions and comedy scenes almost remind me of Yankee Kun & Megane Chan, in its better early chapters. I hope this gets an anime too!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

There's a good reason why over in the Surreal Daily Life Manga thread it became known and beloved as ":haw:-the Manga" before it acquired its current nickname of "Truthism".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Xyven posted:

"Jitsuwata" seems like the natural nickname for the japanese title.

Yes, but that would be far too weeaboo. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Basically a LARPer who's LARPing all the time instead of just when the LARP events are on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is pretty much the most perfect way of describing this series. An excellent chapter!

It's just kind of silly that Asahi had space alien student class rep girl as one of his imagined potential "grandmothers", because of how impossible it is.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That was pretty much the best sports fest ever. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Oh snap, what a reveal in 41! :allears:

God it'd be funny if some other Kiryuin Rin's from alternate timelines where he hooked up with the other girls started showing up in Kuromine's proper timeline.

Oops! It looks like you discovered the final secret -- that it's a long-winded crossover with Qualia the Purple! :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The evil faces are the best. Scratch that all the faces are the best.

Oh, also I'm really glad that the translation seems to be improving over the gobbledygook mess that it was at the beginning. There's still spelling errors and a little bit of clunkiness that sometimes makes the dialogue hard to parse, but it's definitely a lot better!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ice Cream Eyes will never stop being the best bizarre running gag, alongside "Chili Cream Puff face".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I really really want to see this as an anime -- dubbed. I think it'd be great if Funimation got some of their A-listers, because Asahi totally sounds like Johnny Bosch in my head.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Even though this chapter was pretty intense, I am really glad that the Principal is there to help all these adorable doofuses sort things out. Her advice to Shiragami was pretty sage -- she's lookin' out for her, even though she's completely messing with her!

And what other Harem manga has such an excellent "bullshit cutter"? Every time I expect this to pull the standard harem shenanigans, I am pleasantly surprised to see that it does its own refreshing take on things.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

All the :getin: faces from people who wanted to get revenge on the Principal. It's utterly amazing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ha! Of course it turns out that the teacher is as much a goofy awkward dork as the kids! Everyone is! :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Uhm, excuse me, she's a woman. :nyd:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 8, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I like how when Shirogami's dad finds them in the doorway, as he kneels there in shock one of his little bat bros is just sort of patting him on the shoulder with it's wing like "It's gonna be ok man, I feel ya." :kimchi:

This is one of the best parts of an all-around excellent chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Truthism proves its chops as a graduate of the Surreal Daily Life Manga Thread

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They need to hurry up and make this into an anime already!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They have to get Michael Cera to voice Kuromine and Hynden Walch to voice Shiragami for the dub, they're the only people who have dorky enough voices to match the characters.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

No, she's literally fallen and she can't get back up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh my gosh, Karen is one of the most hilarious characters yet! Being an angel, she's the epitome of "lawful good stupid". I also loved Akane in the background being used for sight gags.

Karen's halo is a light bulb :lol:

Also - they got "cries when exposed to garlic" wrong. They rendered it as "Onions" when even the images clearly depict garlic!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 17, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So what're we gonna have next? Who's the next cute+dumb girl? We gotta complete our Halloween set!

We've already got a time traveler, an alien, a vampire, a werewolf, an angel, a demon, a childhood friend possessed by a spirit...

My bet is on "zombie" or "witch".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh god no not Franken Fran. :gonk:

Franken Fran's giant screws were pretty cute.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Koumoto-sensei: best maid, or THE best maid?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Jesus, it's Lot and the purge of Sodom.

:confused: Wait, could you explain this allusion? I get the Bible story, vaguely (I wasn't raised in a Christian background, so what little I have is from cultural osmosis), but I don't see how it connects!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Look back and turn into salt. This is what happened to Lot's wife when they fled Sodom.

Ohhh! Okay, thanks for that enlightening explanation! :eng101:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lovely news! I hope it gets a studio and voice cast that will do it justice.

Now where's my Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan anime, eh Japan? :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I liked how Angel Demon Student Council President's idea of "seductive poses" is exactly the same as everyone else's. She's the best new character. :allears:

This is the correct choice.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The ice-cream eyes gag is amazing, and the best running gag in this manga. It's just so hilariously absurd the way they just keep coming back to that of all things.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Despite being the guy who ostensibly coined "Truthism" (just a stupid slurring of "The Truth Is, I'm..." anyway!), I am totally in love with My Monster Secret. What a great pun!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

OH poo poo! That's kind of the one thing I didn't expect, knowing this to be a romantic comedy. They NEVER kiss before the end in a Romantic Comedy! This upends ... everything! All bets are off now, boys!! We've gone past the event horizon here! :f5: :supaburn:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nondevor posted:

I hope they actually start dating after this. Not enough romance mangas focus on maintaining the actual relationship after it starts!

But they have to do it in secret and be incredibly bad at denying that they're going out!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This is the best harem romantic comedy manga I've ever read. :allears:

Also, it's always rather shocking to see colored pages by this guy. I always imagine such subdued, ordinary-looking colors for everything, but then we reach a colored page or two and it's like, everything is glowing radioactive, neon colors. It's pretty unique!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Here are some spoilers for Chapter 72: funny stuff continues to happen.

So it's become a rom-com version of Qualia the Purple for Mikan? This I can definitely get behind!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

KoB posted:

The anime version will live or die based on the voice actors' performance.

I have a feeling it'd be magnificent dubbed if they get the right A-list crew on it. I hope Funimation licenses it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Youko's having soo much fun, it's just endearing and lovely to watch! This is the best school trip ever!

• Locked thread