Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rexides posted:

Do Japanese seriously decorate with crosses during Christmas?

hosed up if true.

Japanese Christianity is a thing, particularly in the Kansai region, and Youko has a thick Kansai accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not entirely sure how that rough, sketchy art style that gives the series much of its charm would translate, though. Anime tends to be much cleaner for ease of animation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Where is this from, anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One of the volume covers, iirc.

I assumed that, but it doesn't seem to fit for any of them. That's Rin's hair, and this was her volume cover.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

So what're we gonna have next? Who's the next cute+dumb girl? We gotta complete our Halloween set!

We've already got a time traveler, an alien, a vampire, a werewolf, an angel, a demon, a childhood friend possessed by a spirit...

My bet is on "zombie" or "witch".

Frankenstein's Monster? A yeti?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, any harem with Rin in it would be hella awkward.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ActionZero posted:

Let's be honest here, it's probably going to get adapted by Gonzo who'll turn it into a generic harem panty shot anime. This will be the Rosario + Vampire of our time.

Oh god I hope I'm wrong.

R+V's adaptation was pretty accurate to the tone of the early chapters. The manga just swerved off later on and the anime didn't follow it.

JWWW, on the other hand, is pretty much the same goofball comedy from day one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Honestly dude, how would you even tell the difference.

Judging by example, she'd go from mercilessly beating to mercilessly trolling people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Like Asahi gets a nosebleed and Youko accidentally licks/drinks it?

This isn't Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Oh right yeah, the thing that's been talked about over the last few pages. WEll moving on my from my failure

Honestly, having a character act as another reader for that moment was brilliant. Perfectly in character and it literally gave you someone else to cheer with because seriously how many people read manga with another person over their shoulder hoping for a great moment that's kind of weird.

Whatd'you think the purpose of this thread is?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cyrus_zane posted:

...and THAT is why you don't play a girl character online because this will happen to you.
Those faces oh those faces. (At one point I was reminded of Indiana Jones).
Also on that last page I know Shiho is trying to cover Shiragami's wings but uhhh where is she putting her arm?

Gotta get that pervert training in when you can.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terper posted:

All the other characters are too dumb + cute to notice how dumb + cute Kuromine is

Be fair, I think a number of them are noticing the cute.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

Maybe her being a dhampir will stop her from going giant. If not, good luck going to school without anyone finding out. Unless she has candy for days, literally.

Some folks just have late growth spurts.

Don't judge.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

Considering the past, probably some form of hug, hand holding, or even a kiss.

But in the creepiest possible way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

she needs to make up her mind, not fall in love with a third person.

Are you suggesting that Shiho isn't woman (and man) enough for anyone?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, that's very appropriate. The CFP really is treated like royalty in her own strange way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

All I found when I looked that comic up was what looked like softcore BDSM.

Best way to describe it is probably 'dark, atmospheric sex farce'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Oh no, poor Shiho :ohdear: Seriously, this manga HAS to end with cloning shenanigans, I refuse to accept any other outcome!

C'mon now, Nagisa/Shiho is a pretty decent option.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I think a southern drawl is often used for kansai accent because the closest American parallel to the kansai/kantou divide is the north/south divide. Also it's what Azumanga Daioh did, so it can't be wrong.

Youko is literally from the countryside, though. A city accent is a pretty odd choice.

Nah, the Kansai stereotype is 'loud-mouthed, aggressive, money-grubbing city slicker'. Hence the joke about Osaka from Azumanga, who is none of those things. Brooklyn works pretty well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Uh, I didn't mention any stereotype or say anything against the use of a Brooklyn accent, which makes this "nah" pretty confusing. I'm just saying there is a linguistic and cultural divide between the north and the south in America, and this is the closest thing America has to the divide between Kansai and Kanto. Hence it makes sense that it's often used.

Also you're wrong. The stereotype you mentioned is specifically Osaka, not kansai in general.

You said that the closest analogy is the American north-south divide, which is true geographically, but not so much in cultural stereotype. Brooklyn usually fits a little better than Deep South redneck.

Mind you, Kyoto's down that way as well, and that's a place with a more rural (yes, I know it's a huge city, but...), old-fashioned highbrow stereotype. Maybe a 'Southern aristocrat' accent might work for there? That might work decently well with Youko's family.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 24, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I must say, that was a very slick little veer away from angsty harem drama into shenanigans. Shiho's one of the silliest characters in a very silly cast, so it'd be a shame if we lost too much of that with an overly serious arc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

If you think about it, if the future is "hey, I marry someone awful," isn't that just solved by resolving to not marry them? Like, it's not like anyone has a gun to the head in this scenario.

The more unlikely something is, the more inevitable it feels once it's actually happened. Like, nobody in their right mind would shack up with Shima, and yet Shiho did it anyway, which implies that just going 'it's fine, I'll make sure I don't do that' won't exactly help her case. After all, that's what Grandma Shiho almost certainly thought that as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Artificer posted:

I don't get it! Why the HELL did Shiho think it might not be so bad, even for a brief moment? Moment of insanity, what?

Professional pride is a hell of a thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, what's with the 'uwow' thing again?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarage posted:

Something occurred to me. Even though the cast of characters is huge and varied, no one hates Youko. Everyone is nice to her. I think that's one of my favorite parts of this manga, is that the main characters are friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HYSyHMINKk

I'm sure we'll eventually meet someone Youko doesn't get along with. And it will be ridiculous and endearing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Ben-To crossover seems to be working out well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm sure their horrifying vampire cancer-baby will be both cute and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would mean she wants to bone him

No, that would mean he wants to bone him. Which I ain’t exactly ruling out here.

• Locked thread