Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I just got to the werewolf. What the hell? This manga has some really unique takes on various supernatural characters.

I think a big reason the harem angle doesn't grate is that it's not a bunch of women in love with a boring hero for some mysterious reason. The robot doesn't like him so much as she's jealous now that he's moved on. The vampire isn't romantically interested so much as really happy to finally have a friend. The newspaper girl is a childhood friend to scared of losing him to be honest and change the status quo. None of it is exactly super complicated or original, but there is a degree of nuance to each person's feelings, and they make sense in the situation.

Also the hero actually has a personality. That makes everything a lot more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I love her mom.

I also love that the main character knows it's the principle immediately.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Chuunibyou literally means 9th grader disease. It refers to people of about that age who believe they have super powers or are just generally super duper awesome.

Love the UFO.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Holy christ on a cracker, snack starved principle was terrifying.

Everything else was really good too.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

If we're really still behind like 30+ chapters from the current one in Japan, then it wouldn't surprise me really if he DID get together with someone by then and it continued on. Seems like it'd just lead to more shenanigans rather than less

Yeah, scalations are that far behind. The latest scanlation is the last chapter of volume five. Volumes six and seven are definitely out, and batoto has the cover of volume 8, so that is out or coming out soon. Each volume has nine chapters and an omake.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's published in Weekly Shounen champion, so I assume it's weekly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

ErrantSystems posted:

I can't believe I ever doubted this series. I'm just scared it can't get any better :ohdear:

Be at ease. It gets better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I think at least one of Kuromine's bros is not dumb.

You are wrong. He's just better at hiding it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The next volume just came out. Chapters should keep on rolling in for a long time.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

There's a large backlog.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Do you know if Shiho's mother has already appeared in the manga?

Is Shiho the pervert?

If so, yes, her mom does show up in a currently untranslated chapter. It's a ways off though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I am sure whatever the reason, it was ultimately the principle's fault.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That was the last chapter in volume seven. So there's at least 18 chapters untranslated.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I'm on vacation in Okinawa right now, and when I went into the convenience store to buy some stuff I found a copy of volume 9 on a shelf. I'd put a picture here but my phone won't let me take any until I let it charge some more.

Reading it right now, and dang, I need some context from Volume 8.

Haha. Yeah, Volume 8 ends with a huge event that would make nine very confusing to not know about.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

If I didn't have this sweet avatar I'd absolutely take that face as mine

It really is the best face. God, just remembering that chapter makes me laugh.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yes, Volume 10 on February sixth! That's so close. Especially in contrast with the year plus gaps between volume releases for Yotusba&, the steady schedule of Truthism is truly delightful.

Anime adaptations can really go either way, but I have my fingers crossed for some good stuff.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I just noticed the casual background explanation of how Youko's dad got his forehead scars.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

And things are just getting started. :toot:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

There are 18 chapters left which are published in volume form but not translated. The manga is still going strong, though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

drat, and here I thought we'd have a clichéd lovers' battle, but this is even better :3::hf::black101: Also, the Aizawa Russian doll is kind of adorable.

EDIT: Hold up, is that an Aizawa figurine I see on the cover? When can I have my Kuomoto in a maid uniform?

Chapter after next.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Yes
YES
YES

Why can't all girls win? Poor Aizawa :saddowns:

All the girls winning? No way that would go well.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Is that the aftermath of the Aizawa confession? I haven't read any of Volume 10 yet.

No, it's a totally different thing. It is from volume 10 though.

Also, how do people feel about mild spoilers in the form of single, out of context reaction panels? People seemed fine with them, but honestly, seeing people react to new chapters is great. I don't want to get in the way of anyone's enjoyment.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I wouldn't have posted anything if the reactions to the previous spoiler image hadn't seemed completely positive. Good to have clarification.

Mindblast posted:

Dude don't even offer it. Why tempt people in depriving them from the same experience you got yourself ie reading it without knowing anything in advance.

Because 100% spoiler free isn't always the best way to experience stuff. For instance, I read A Song of Ice and Fire last year, and I was moderately spoiled for most every major plot point going in. It greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the books. :shrug: I think the internet at large's attitude towards spoilers is crazy, but at the same time, I'm not the kind of jerk who will go out of their way to "ruin" things for people. So now that people have said they don't want any spoilers in this thread, no spoilers from me. :)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Terper posted:

Well, other than Youko's smugface, we have a date of 6/20 which I assume is when the anime starts airing??

The poster is for an early viewing party/event of the first episode. Since it's in the afternoon, maybe the episode airs that night, but it could be even later.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The major difference between Asahi and the protagonists of other harem comedies is that Asahi knows who he wants to be with. Most of the time it's a bunch of girls the guy doesn't even know fighting at him for bizarre reasons. The result is the ambivalent protagonist becomes hapless and hijinks ensue. Asahi is also hapless, but he's not emotionally hapless. He just has the misfortune to live in a world where everyone is cute and dumb.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This is such a good comic. It manages to ramp up the cute people being dumb comedy stuff and the emotional relationship stuff in equal measure. Occasionally I'll feel its gags are getting played out, but then it will up the ante and have me rolling on the floor laughing. And *BIG SPOILER* it continues to pull this off through at least 97 chapters.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The original was actually Gesu-mine. Gesu means sleazebag.

There are 97 chapters out now, but the next volume comes out in a couple of weeks.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Welcome to the thread of idiots.

Where all the posters are *cute* and *dumb*~

These are good options for new thread titles.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This chapter has my favorite Kuromine faces.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's always cool when art improves drastically over the run of a comic.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Asahi/Youko chapters rule.

Volume 12 just came out and it covers to chapter 106. The manga keeps getting better in terms of laughs, heart, and artwork, so no worries about nearing the end. It's still going full steam.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This chapter is great, but the translation is kind of terrible at points. "Just trying to make myself look taller" doesn't really make sense. The original phrase can mean that, but it can also idiomatically mean pushing oneself.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

That adds a new spin to the first episode of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the clarification!

The first episode of Zetsubou Sensei uses a different phrase. "shinchou wo nobasu." I don't know if that can take on the same idiomatic meaning.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's probably still not perfect, but hey at least it's QCed!

There's no such thing as a perfect translation, but this is much better! Sorry if came across as a jerk critiquing something unfinished.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Hell yes. Finally, the best character has arrived .

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

dordreff posted:

I think that settles the "best girl" arguments pretty strongly

Yes. This. The best girl is on the scene. :allears:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Bernardo Orel posted:

I wonder what will happen when his wife finds out about this

Cover inside the dust jacket of volume 12. Not directly from the comic itself, but in case you're really super paranoid about spoilers, translations are up to the middle of volume 11 right now.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Repeating the Huh Where for the new page.

Does the image not show up, or are you confused where the image comes from? If it's the first, I'm not sure why that would be.

If it's the second, the manga gets collected and published in volumes of about ten chapters each. Each one has a dust jacket. That picture is inside the dust jacket of volume 12. Left side is the actual book. Right side is the dust jacket.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

New chapter's out, and there's an omake too!

Oh, that last omake. Poor vampire dad is just so lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This is my favorite chapter.

• Locked thread