Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Guys, I hate to spoiler out there speculation, but I think Yuka might be a ninja.

Awesome job on the scanlations. This isn't a very simple manga to translate and I'm always impressed by the job you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oh, so the succubus was supposed to have a Minnesota accent? I didn't get that at all when I was trying to figure out how you guys had approached the hokkaido accent. It's a really good approach though. I hope it will become more clear as she gets more lines. An accent can be tough to establish.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I think part of it is that 'pervert' as used in the context of anime and manga tends to have a certain playfulness to it, given how it's been used for the past few decades.

It's not just anime, I don't think. The word is pretty broadly used. I recently watched a google talk by the woman who wrote that super popular book about the magic of tidying up. When she called herself a clean freak, she used the word for pervert.

Edit: Although, upon reflection, not the same word as female pervert that is used in this manga. The first character for "female pervert" is the first character for "molester" as well. So I'm not really sure what's up with the word choice in this manga.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tarage posted:

That was the goal, yes. She comes from Northern Japan, so she might have some sort of pseudo Russian-Japanese accent. We tried to go with Minnesota because the concept of wholesome succubi is hilarious and fits her character. Sadly... nailing that accent is loving hard as poo poo. We do have a proofer who knows that accent, but even he doesn't get it right, and he's been busy doing RL stuff so we've been winging it. Whenever I can throw in a 'don'chya know', I do it. It's a cheap and easy way to say "No srsly gaiz, she's Minnesotan."

Not to advertise again but we could always use more folks on our staff to help out with QC. If you wanna get early access to the dumb (and love catching my stupid spelling mistakes), send me a message.

Hokkaido's accent doesn't have anything to do with Russian.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Cold, soggy noodles don't sound that great to me, honestly. Yakisoba is great, though.

They're cold but they're not soggy. It's a pretty refreshing treat in the summer.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think a southern drawl is often used for kansai accent because the closest American parallel to the kansai/kantou divide is the north/south divide. Also it's what Azumanga Daioh did, so it can't be wrong.

Youko is literally from the countryside, though. A city accent is a pretty odd choice.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, the Kansai stereotype is 'loud-mouthed, aggressive, money-grubbing city slicker'. Hence the joke about Osaka from Azumanga, who is none of those things. Brooklyn works pretty well.

Uh, I didn't mention any stereotype or say anything against the use of a Brooklyn accent, which makes this "nah" pretty confusing. I'm just saying there is a linguistic and cultural divide between the north and the south in America, and this is the closest thing America has to the divide between Kansai and Kanto. Hence it makes sense that it's often used.

Also you're wrong. The stereotype you mentioned is specifically Osaka, not kansai in general.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well, we are trying for that (and i hope we do an alright job on it) - but the Northern accent is really hard to put down in letters for Saki. It'll take some more work. I hope I'm available to help with it.

You're doing a great job! It's just a really difficult task. Japanese has way stronger divisions between different accents than (American) English does, and Jitsu Wa has pretty much every character speak with a different exaggerated dialect. You've gotten a lot of that across without ever being unreadable or just plain dumb sounding, and that's awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I will never get tired of the dead eyes people give Shima.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Could that mean Shima's female side is the second great charismatic pervert? The one that's ruined the future?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Artificer posted:

I don't get it! Why the HELL did Shiho think it might not be so bad, even for a brief moment? Moment of insanity, what?

Love can make you go crazy.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The Tale of Genji has a had a very real and very awful effect on Japanese literature, and that includes manga sometimes.

Also, yeah, the parents should have ended up together. All signs pointed to that happening. But then at the last minute, lol nope Genji time.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Is Nagisa the second charismatic pervert that ruined the future?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tarage posted:

I could tell you the answer but it would be a spoiler.

Thanks, but I wasn't asking seriously. Just speculating.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

In which Asahi is a good ally.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That chapter just kept getting better.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

He marries Shiho somehow and they have ninja kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This manga was so drat good. I'm re-reading and it's incredible how early some foreshadowing comes in. The random girls in their class Yuko befriends show up in the second chapter. You can see a hint of Oka's crush in the first Mikan chapter. Man, I wish I hadn't left my collection behind when I moved back to the states.

My favorite chapter was probably when Shima hit on Yuko's dad.

• Locked thread