Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

DrSunshine posted:

This is pretty much the most perfect way of describing this series. An excellent chapter!

It's just kind of silly that Asahi had space alien student class rep girl as one of his imagined potential "grandmothers", because of how impossible it is.

Do we really know how advanced (and, erm, lifelike) those robot suits are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
"'A little stupid' just became 'fully stupid'" Indeed

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

StandardVC10 posted:

I like how Kuromine thought to ask how the heck Shiragami's dad fit inside the cabin.

It just dawned on me that this means Youko could be in for a growth spurt, too.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

There Bias Two posted:

I didn't laugh :( I think I may be broken inside.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I have a really high empathy response for embarrassing stuff like this, so I spent most of the chapter cringing and hiding my face in my hands.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder why she has the same style of dress as Rin?

Because she is also from the future.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Nipponophile posted:

That was also an amazing take on the "girl late for school running with toast in her mouth and bumping into a boy" cliche.

The ancient ninja art of talking and holding toast in your mouth at the same time.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Has anyone else noticed that there's a war brewing in the first years' class? Probably Akane's fault.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tarage posted:

And while we're on the topic of consistency, one thing we always have to watch out for is that we are consistent with names and phrases. There have been times where we forgot the "female" part of the "charismatic female pervert" moniker, and it's annoyed me to no end. There have been many chapters where I've had to go back to previous chapters to check the way people said things for flashbacks. You can't hit them all, but you do what you can.

Real talk though, that phrase is clunky as hell, how did you wind up settling on it? There's got to be a way to translate 痴女 that isn't such a mouthful. I know in earlier chapters they just used Charismatic Pervert which flows better but obviously leaves out an important piece of information. Don't know if that was the same group, though. I'm just wondering if you guys ever considered other words? (A few off the top of my head: Slut, Harlot, Hussy, Nympho, Jezebel.)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I can't say I'm familiar enough with Japanese to know if 痴女 carries the same negative connotations that are traditionally associated with female sexuality in English. But that's the thing, it's not so much the words as the very idea of a sexually empowered woman that carries traditionally negative connotations. I mean, Pervert isn't exactly glowing praise. It's the context that it's used in the comic that changes that connotation. And it's not just about Shiho's Mom's title; this is a world that regularly holds Chijo Olympics.

There's a lot of words out there that carry that basic meaning. My favorite for being completely unworkable for this instance is vamp.

e: I mean going off the google translate of 痴 in Chinese it isn't exactly a nice term.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 22, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I dunno, I've been to enough Slut Walks for the term to connote plenty of agency to me.

Something else to chew on is that Pervert is the only one of these terms that can be, and in fact is more frequently is, used to refer to men.

VVVV Why exactly can't we have a civil discussion about an interesting subject?

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 22, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
For which region of Japan would it be appropriate to use an English or Australian accent?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So here's a thought: if Shirou has a kid with a woman, would that kid refer to Shiho as mom?

e: what happens if Shiho sees the moon while pregnant?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Somehow I just know this is Shirou's fault. As Asahi is so fond of reminding himself, Shimada appears to have a type, and that type is women who are secretly men.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Shiho, fall in love with whoever you want. (As long as it's Aizawa.)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cor~n! :3:

Looking forward the the continued escalating battle of cutesy nicknames between Shiho and Mikan.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So Mei has a thing for Okada huh? Is it just a factor of being drawn to the only other non-idiot in the whole story?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

JosephWongKS posted:

Hasn't Sakurada been completely level-headed and sensible so far? I don't recall that he's ever displayed any idiocy in the story.

He wants to date Akari.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Captain Invictus posted:

Akari owns and has a good head on her shoulders aside from her white knight delusions

This is exactly the part that Sakurada wants to contend with. Thus idiot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Based on past font choices I'd guess that Shiho's mom is going to be angry? Which would certainly be new.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
How does Shima keep getting out of jail?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
That lion is loving terrified.

And Genjirou is the cutest part of the chapter.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm pretty sure this was the plot of a Castlevania game.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65pvuTFR_A

:colbert:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CommissarMega posted:

That being said, how recent is recent? And how close does Akane have to be? I mean, around chapters 84-85 he managed to pick up on the fact that Kuromine's confession didn't go as planned, so maybe there was some mind-reading there. And when they went to the pool way back when, I'm sure Akane wasn't there so he must've picked up on at least Youko, if not Shiho and maybe even Aizawa's secrets. Then again, he did seem surprised at Sakurada's crush on Akari, so uh...

EDIT: I mean, he knows about the glasses and the horned girl at least, so even if he didn't believe in vampires and poo poo maybe he thought it was some chuuni thing), he sure as hell would believe it now.

It seems he can only hear surface thoughts, so unless they were actively thinking about their secret he wouldn't know anything.

Also lol if you think Akane isn't spying on these dorks any time they do anything.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

JosephWongKS posted:

That implies Mei also has a secret, but what could it be?

We covered this already, Mei's secret is that she actually gets along really well with her brother.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well Oka's presumably known Mei since before he started high school, so if Mei's crush started before Akane's jamming started, Oka knows exactly what's up and has for years.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tarage posted:

Next chapter is Youko fun times.

Also it has come to my attention that some of the... bwakaness of this manga has rubbed off on people, and they can't figure out who Mikan's husband is even though the manga is pretty blunt about it this chapter. So... I'll leave you with four hints.

1. What is Rin's last name?
2. Old Mikan says she did not marry Asahi.
3. Mikan's husband had his name changed.
4. Who else has Rin's last name?

I think the confusion here stems from the fact that we've never even seen Oka's mom, so it's hard to jump to her marrying Sen (or Sen's father but I wouldn't put it past loving Sen to marry a woman twice his age). In fact, the only single mother we've met is Shiho's.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CommissarMega posted:

Bleach treatment.

Multiple years to reach a satisfying conclusion completely squandered on meaningless bullshit?

Seriously, guy was told he gets one story arc to wrap things up, so he goes and introduces a new bunch of characters with an alphabet naming scheme.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

dordreff posted:

what if Future Nagisa is the Charismatic Female Pervert 2

Future Nagisa isn't far enough in the future for that.

It probably bears pointing out because I didn't pick up on it right away. This Nagisa is from 10 years in the future, whereas Rin et al. are from 50. So she probably doesn't know a drat thing about pervert future.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Fellis posted:

This was a pretty heavy arc and if future timeline shennanigans get resolved this way, I can see how this manga might get bittersweet later.

So if some big tragedy happens in the future involving Youko going full dracula, and it is prevented in some way that is both very cute and indescribably dumb, does Rin cease to exist?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

It was so sweet, I almost forgot what manga I was reading. Then page 12 hit and I remembered.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Holy poo poo, they managed to go this loving long without revealing the significance of Genjirou's fake name that I'd completely forgotten about it.

The answer is, as always, :3:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Artificer posted:

Wait, huh?
http://bato.to/reader#8259061a8b377ebf_4

e:f,b

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I just noticed that that book is upside down

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Oh god two Akanes. Goodbye Kuromine, it was nice knowing you.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Xelkelvos posted:

It's not Aizawa, but it definitely is one of her race. I think there was a flashback or a memory of her's (or of Future Aizawa) where she was talking to someone who spent time on Earth

That was her dad. So also Aizawa. If Snake-Lady is the pervert in the nurses office, and The mysterious horned girl is still just Akane (possibly present-day Akane loving with time for laughs)

I'm wondering who the ghost in the Kitchen room is.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Heavy Sigh posted:

I wonder if we'll get a look at Asahi's parents while he's in the past.

From the one time we say Papa Kuromine, he looked older than 37, so probably not.

Writing this out reminded me that present-day Genjirou is only 37.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So with Shiho's mom confirmed, that's 4 of the 7 mysteries accounted for. Is Shiho's mom also a wolfman, or did she get that from her dad? Or both?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

There Bias Two posted:

So what's her goal? It seems to go beyond proving that humans and non-humans can live together.

Shits and giggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Wait, gently caress, snake-charmer lady('s wolf-man form) is Shiho's dad. (Also probably the "Sexual Deviant of Light")

• Locked thread