Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Yesterday, David Gilmour's wife tweeted this:

The powers that be are supposedly upset about this leak, but I figure that the wife of the band's frontman wouldn't just casually announce a new Pink Floyd album without intending to fire up the internet hype machine.

The Endless River will be adapted from the late Richard Wright's unused work for The Division Bell album. This material, originally intended for a companion release called "The Big Spliff," is markedly more ambient than the pop songs written for the main album. The Big Spliff never saw official release, but now the band has returned to the material and overdubbed new content.

Roger Waters is not involved. I really would have liked for him to be, as a full Pink Floyd reunion beyond Live 8 was something Rick very much wanted to do before he died.

For good or for ill, a new Pink Floyd album is coming out this year. We'll know more tomorrow.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, I hope this turns out to be good. I didn't much care for The Division Bell, but maybe something good was left off that album and will show up here. I'm buying it, though. I have the rest of their albums, so one more can't hurt.

I can't imagine Roger Waters being too involved, honestly. Maybe he'll contribute a few song lyrics or something. That'd be nice.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Rick Wright is my favorite PF member. Very excited for this.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
I loved the Division Bell so looking forward to this

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

One can only hope that "more ambient" means more like Marooned and less like the rest of that dull album.

And no, Roger isn't involved. Slap it in the OP lest this turn out like every other discussion of this album so far.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

One can only hope that "more ambient" means more like Marooned and less like the rest of that dull album.

And no, Roger isn't involved. Slap it in the OP lest this turn out like every other discussion of this album so far.

Yeah, Roger being involved is pretty much beyond any hope, honestly, as much as I'd like it. And more like Marooned would be great. Ambient Floyd = Good Floyd.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2014

truls
Jan 6, 2003

Don't usually look forward to Octobers here up north, but now I can't wait.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I read that the gist of this album is unpublished work from the Division Bell sessions and got kind of turned off because I could not get into that album. However, if it does have a markedly different "ambient" feel compared to Division Bell then it might actually be pretty interesting at least.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

If this means more songs like Marooned, I'm all for it.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I endorse this development.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
A Pink Floyd concept album about the lazy river ride down at the local waterpark? Count me in!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I wonder if this means there will be any sort of tour. I doubt it, because I think that Pink Floyd as an act died with Wright, but who knows if they could get the whole gang back together for a full reunion benefit concert.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Division Bell tour was my first big stadium rock concert. They were pretty good. One Of These Days kinda ruled. I'm sure it was the first time I had heard that song and it blew me away.

EDIT: Rick Wright's solo album from around that time is NOT a good record, though. Talk about a snoozefest. Hopefully this sounds nothing like that.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 7, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

BigFactory posted:

EDIT: Rick Wright's solo album from around that time is NOT a good record, though. Talk about a snoozefest. Hopefully this sounds nothing like that.

It's got a couple good songs, but the production is Terrible. Just Terrible.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

FWIW, "the endless river" is the last line of "High Hopes".

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Masonic Youth posted:

FWIW, "the endless river" is the last line of "High Hopes".

Second to last.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Wasn't "Wearing the Inside Out" a Wright number? That one sorta crept up on me and became my favorite from Division Bell.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I think so, yes.

Wearing the Inside Out and Poles Apart / Marooned are probably my favourites from that album, though High Hopes is up there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if rick wright's family needs money? Or nick mason got divorced or something. Why else would they dredge up 20 year old material that wasn't good enough to make it onto the worst pink Floyd album?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

BigFactory posted:

material that wasn't good enough to make it onto the worst pink Floyd album?
This material isn't from A Momentary Lapse of Reason though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I wonder if rick wright's family needs money? Or nick mason got divorced or something. Why else would they dredge up 20 year old material that wasn't good enough to make it onto the worst pink Floyd album?

The studio disc of Ummagumma is way older than 20 years dude-mar

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Masonic Youth posted:

This material isn't from A Momentary Lapse of Reason though.

Yeah, momentary lapse is probably worse. And I'd rather listen to Division bell than The Wall almost any day, but the Wall is objectively better. But saying the second worst pink floyd record isn't as dramatic. That being said, I probably haven't listened to divison bell since 1996. It's painfully mediocre.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The fact that this album is being co-produced by Martin "Youth" Glover gives me a good bit of hope for it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
What is this crap about the worst Pink Floyd album being The Division Bell? High Hopes, Marooned and Poles Apart are all significantly better than anything on The Final Cut which is clearly the worst Floyd album.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It could be postulated that Pink Floyd actually has more bad albums than good.

Bad:

Saucerful of Secrets
More
Ummagumma
Obscured by Clouds
The Final Cut
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Division Bell

Good:
Piper at the Gates of Dawn
DSOTM
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Debatable:
Meddle (let's be honest, this album sucks outside of Echoes and One of These Days)
Atom Heart Mother

This is clearly my own opinion of course hahaha.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

What is this crap about the worst Pink Floyd album being The Division Bell? High Hopes, Marooned and Poles Apart are all significantly better than anything on The Final Cut which is clearly the worst Floyd album.

have medical personnel ever examined you to try and ascertain how one person could be so wrong

facebook jihad posted:

It could be postulated that Pink Floyd actually has more bad albums than good.

Bad:

Ummagumma
Obscured by Clouds
The Final Cut
Momentary Lapse of Reason

Debatable:
Meddle (let's be honest, this album sucks outside of Echoes and One of These Days)
Atom Heart Mother

Gadzooks it's wrong all the way down.

No really, how does a human being of even mediocre tastes hate Obscured by Clouds or Ummagumma's live disc?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

have medical personnel ever examined you to try and ascertain how one person could be so wrong

You know what would make The Final Cut a better album?

If something bloody happened on it. The whole album has the pace of "Nobody Home" which is lovely for one song but good lord it gets painful after 45 minutes.

Not Now John doesn't count because it sucks.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Gadzooks it's wrong all the way down.

No really, how does a human being of even mediocre tastes hate Obscured by Clouds or Ummagumma's live disc?

Sorry wasn't really counting the live album, my bad. As for Obscured by Clouds, its got one or two good songs. Only one I'm remembering is "Uh...wot's the deal", but it's pretty obvious it's a soundtrack album with a lot of forgettable tunes. I want to say one song is on there twice? One that has lyrics and the other that doesn't?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

facebook jihad posted:

Debatable:

You don't like Fearless or Pillow of Winds?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obscurred by Clouds and More have some of the bes tpink Floyd songs. Ibiza Bar alone is more 90s grundge then half of the actual 90 grunge bands. Childshood End is a great song also.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Nile Song is really really good

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0KH6QWmhrU

Such a heavy heavy song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHMTrxDM4Jk

That one too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok, maybe San Tropez is kinda cheesy but Meddle is a bonafide loving classic.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Abu Dave posted:

Such a heavy heavy song.

That one too.

I hate listening to them back to back like that. On their own, or within the album, I love them. But one after another, they sound like the same song. Still they're a great song, and I'm willing to excuse it since it's from a soundtrack.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Also, who the gently caress hates on Saucerful of Secrets?

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Hard for me to pick apart any Floyd album as being bad.

The studio disc of Ummagumma comes close but is saved by Granchester Meadows and The narrow way.

Granchester Meadows live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0FUJ7PKzM

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Hammer Floyd posted:

You know what would make The Final Cut a better album?

Well, it's really a Roger Waters solo album and should probably be judged as such. But the worst problem is the production, it's indescribably bad - no highs, lows or expansive soundscape - just a muddy compressed mess.

The Wall had a great sound, and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is fine, so I dunno what the gently caress.

Momentary Lapse of Reason has awful production too, but it's just generically lovely Eighties crap-sound that everybody used during that era.

I'm not really too hopeful about the upcoming release, it ain't real Floyd without Roger, but miracles do happen.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Ah sweet, they're releasing the ambient stuff they scrapped. Good! It'll likely be mediocre but I'll gladly take it.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Also, who the gently caress hates on Saucerful of Secrets?

I think Saucerful is a pretty good album, especially since it came at a time when the band was going through a significant change (Sid going crazy, Gilmour joining the line-up). It's easily one of my favourite albums.

Abu Dave posted:

Obscurred by Clouds and More have some of the bes tpink Floyd songs. Ibiza Bar alone is more 90s grundge then half of the actual 90 grunge bands. Childshood End is a great song also.

The Gold It's In The is my favourite track off that album. It's just so charming to hear Pink Floyd do a very traditional and upbeat 70's rock song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

Well, it's really a Roger Waters solo album and should probably be judged as such. But the worst problem is the production, it's indescribably bad - no highs, lows or expansive soundscape - just a muddy compressed mess.

:confused: You must be listening to a terrible MP3 rip or something then. TFC sounds, and always has sounded, crisp and fantastic (admittedly less so on the 2004 reissue). If you listen to Your Possible Pasts and hear no highs, lows, or expansive soundscape then something has gone very, very wrong on your end.

Eggie posted:

I think Saucerful is a pretty good album, especially since it came at a time when the band was going through a significant change (Sid going crazy, Gilmour joining the line-up). It's easily one of my favourite albums.

Problem with it is that the live versions of pretty much everything are so much better. After listening to Pompeii, the live disc of Ummagumma, and scads of 70-71 bootlegs for years, the studio album is like a nice car with all the chrome sanded off and the paint covered with primer.

Eggie posted:

The Gold It's In The is my favourite track off that album. It's just so charming to hear Pink Floyd do a very traditional and upbeat 70's rock song.

For upbeat songs from OBC, you also have Free Four :v:

• Locked thread