Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I read that the gist of this album is unpublished work from the Division Bell sessions and got kind of turned off because I could not get into that album. However, if it does have a markedly different "ambient" feel compared to Division Bell then it might actually be pretty interesting at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It could be postulated that Pink Floyd actually has more bad albums than good.

Bad:

Saucerful of Secrets
More
Ummagumma
Obscured by Clouds
The Final Cut
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Division Bell

Good:
Piper at the Gates of Dawn
DSOTM
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Debatable:
Meddle (let's be honest, this album sucks outside of Echoes and One of These Days)
Atom Heart Mother

This is clearly my own opinion of course hahaha.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Gadzooks it's wrong all the way down.

No really, how does a human being of even mediocre tastes hate Obscured by Clouds or Ummagumma's live disc?

Sorry wasn't really counting the live album, my bad. As for Obscured by Clouds, its got one or two good songs. Only one I'm remembering is "Uh...wot's the deal", but it's pretty obvious it's a soundtrack album with a lot of forgettable tunes. I want to say one song is on there twice? One that has lyrics and the other that doesn't?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Abu Dave posted:

I enjoy Not Now John not as a serious song but as a totally ridiculous piece of entertainment that it is.

That said, I enjoy The Wall but I can't get over how Waters sings like a old man in it. What happened to his voice in between Animals and The Wall.

His voice never really changed though? He always kind of sounded like poo poo. I read somewhere that one of the first real divides of the band came during the recording of DSoTM because Waters wanted to sing in more songs. The other members of the band, who I guess held more weight at that time, persuaded him not to; but the egotistical maniac that is Roger Waters still was butthurt about it.

I also remember he got super pissed during the Live 8 reunion concert that the other members vetoed one of his songs because it was inappropriate for a relief charity (I think Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2, but it may have been something a little darker like Mother or something). I love him and can barely listen to non-Waters Floyd but the dude is a total rear end in a top hat.

Syd era best era though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally took the time to listen to the audio clips.

They all sound so cheesy that they almost go into vaporwave territory. I doubt that was their intent though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is going to solve the problem of 'what is the worst Pink Floyd album?'. So at least we can take that from this.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Eh! Frank posted:

MLoR gets a huge pass from me due to "Learning To Fly", "On The Turning Away" (which I consider to be one of PF's top five songs), and "Sorrow". Don't know about worst, but to me, "Obscured By Clouds" is the most forgettable.

Thank you. Another person who thinks Obscured By Clouds is Not That Good

Like, Wot's uh...the deal is a great song, but everything else sucks. The same song even shows up twice for crying out loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Gilmour is a goon and had been seeing the 'is Pink Floyd dad rock?' threads in GBS; he wanted to affirm that yes, they are in fact dad rock.

• Locked thread