Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, I hope this turns out to be good. I didn't much care for The Division Bell, but maybe something good was left off that album and will show up here. I'm buying it, though. I have the rest of their albums, so one more can't hurt.

I can't imagine Roger Waters being too involved, honestly. Maybe he'll contribute a few song lyrics or something. That'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

One can only hope that "more ambient" means more like Marooned and less like the rest of that dull album.

And no, Roger isn't involved. Slap it in the OP lest this turn out like every other discussion of this album so far.

Yeah, Roger being involved is pretty much beyond any hope, honestly, as much as I'd like it. And more like Marooned would be great. Ambient Floyd = Good Floyd.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

BigFactory posted:

EDIT: Rick Wright's solo album from around that time is NOT a good record, though. Talk about a snoozefest. Hopefully this sounds nothing like that.

It's got a couple good songs, but the production is Terrible. Just Terrible.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver

Got a date and release information now. November 10th

I went ahead and pre-ordered the blu-ray set. I have every other album from back when I was obsessed with them in high school.

Pretty neat that one of the songs is called "Autumn '68." "Summer '68" is one of my favorite Wright songs.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If by "neat" you mean "the sort of unbelievably hack poo poo an 80s metal act would do", yes

Eh, don't care enough to argue. I just think it's nice since this is supposed to be a 'tribute' for Wright. It may suck, but hopefully not.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Fletcher Memorial Home owns, but owns alone due to the solo. One of his best solos but far too short. Love the addition of the "guitar sounds" (fret noise etc) which isn't common for him.

The rest of the album bites, however. I can barely give it a second listen, and whenever I try to I give up

I like the title track and "The Gunner's Dream" a lot too. The rest depends on my mood. Sometimes I think it's a great album. Other times, I just get bored with it.

But those three songs are always nice to hear.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Sounds like something from Gilmour's second solo album to me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

BigFactory posted:

What interesting music has roger waters made in the past 30 years?

Amused to Death was pretty good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Answers Me posted:

It's mainly the production that makes it sound so stale. If you take grandiose music like this and compress the hell out of it's always going to sound like a lifeless TV-movie soundtrack

A lot of The Division Bell sounds like a TV movie soundtrack. Especially "Poles Apart." That song is terrible.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As long as "La Carrera Panamerica" has existed in some form we've had an answer. MLoR owns, Obscured by Clouds owns.

Amused to Death owns, the KAOS tour owned even if the album was half-baked. The less said about his lyrics 2000-2014 the better though.

I agree with everything in this post. Momentary Lapse is pretty nice, even if it doesn't sound like Pink Floyd. KAOS is an interesting counterpoint to it, but kind of dumb.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

It sounds about like I figured it would. Maybe it'll be better in context. As is, it just sounds like they chopped two minutes haphazardly out of the album and said "That's the single."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Full Disclosure: the only PF album I liked on first listen was Atom Heart Mother

To be fair: Atom Heart Mother owns.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Finally listened to it all the way through. Most of the songs are pleasant, at worst. "Louder Than Words," though, that's straight up hot garbage.

"It's What We Do" is probably my favorite track. Just sounds like an extra part of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's not terrible it's just really underwhelming and they should have gone out with The Division Bell instead.

I wouldn't call it underwhelming, but I do think it should have just been a second disc in that Deluxe Divison Bell set. It definitely feels like a Bonus Disc.

• Locked thread