Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

One can only hope that "more ambient" means more like Marooned and less like the rest of that dull album.

And no, Roger isn't involved. Slap it in the OP lest this turn out like every other discussion of this album so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Masonic Youth posted:

FWIW, "the endless river" is the last line of "High Hopes".

Second to last.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I wonder if rick wright's family needs money? Or nick mason got divorced or something. Why else would they dredge up 20 year old material that wasn't good enough to make it onto the worst pink Floyd album?

The studio disc of Ummagumma is way older than 20 years dude-mar

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

What is this crap about the worst Pink Floyd album being The Division Bell? High Hopes, Marooned and Poles Apart are all significantly better than anything on The Final Cut which is clearly the worst Floyd album.

have medical personnel ever examined you to try and ascertain how one person could be so wrong

facebook jihad posted:

It could be postulated that Pink Floyd actually has more bad albums than good.

Bad:

Ummagumma
Obscured by Clouds
The Final Cut
Momentary Lapse of Reason

Debatable:
Meddle (let's be honest, this album sucks outside of Echoes and One of These Days)
Atom Heart Mother

Gadzooks it's wrong all the way down.

No really, how does a human being of even mediocre tastes hate Obscured by Clouds or Ummagumma's live disc?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

Well, it's really a Roger Waters solo album and should probably be judged as such. But the worst problem is the production, it's indescribably bad - no highs, lows or expansive soundscape - just a muddy compressed mess.

:confused: You must be listening to a terrible MP3 rip or something then. TFC sounds, and always has sounded, crisp and fantastic (admittedly less so on the 2004 reissue). If you listen to Your Possible Pasts and hear no highs, lows, or expansive soundscape then something has gone very, very wrong on your end.

Eggie posted:

I think Saucerful is a pretty good album, especially since it came at a time when the band was going through a significant change (Sid going crazy, Gilmour joining the line-up). It's easily one of my favourite albums.

Problem with it is that the live versions of pretty much everything are so much better. After listening to Pompeii, the live disc of Ummagumma, and scads of 70-71 bootlegs for years, the studio album is like a nice car with all the chrome sanded off and the paint covered with primer.

Eggie posted:

The Gold It's In The is my favourite track off that album. It's just so charming to hear Pink Floyd do a very traditional and upbeat 70's rock song.

For upbeat songs from OBC, you also have Free Four :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

RattiRatto posted:

Cannot wait for this. Even if there are only two left, i think they are planning on doing a quick tour around the world when this new album comes out...

Not gonna happen.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

While I love the hell out of everything Pink Floyd ever put out, I am the weird dude who thinks Final Cut was the best album.

I'm just gonna leave this here with the comment that the album did yield the best backdrop film in the group and solo catalog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94MRxj2J3g

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

EDIT: Really though, Rebuild The Wall by Luther Wright is the best Floyd album.

sounds like someone who never heard the Squirrels' take on Dark Side of the Moon :colbert: On the Run, Us and Them, and Brain Damage being particular highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fpZaXdki2s

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

I also remember he got super pissed during the Live 8 reunion concert that the other members vetoed one of his songs because it was inappropriate for a relief charity

I'm not buying this story in light of the fact that Gilmour did "Run Like Hell" of all things at a Colombian volcano relief concert.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

Oh thank god because otherwise how could they ever find a bassist?

"BRING OUT THE GIMPGUY PRATT"
*Pratt emerges from box kept at the foot of Gilmour's bed, grinning hideously*

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Pretty neat that one of the songs is called "Autumn '68."

If by "neat" you mean "the sort of unbelievably hack poo poo an 80s metal act would do", yes

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Still bitter about Operation Mindcrime 2, huh?

Trigger warning that poo poo, you rear end :mad:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Couldn't be as unnecessary as Metallica's third iteration of Unforgiven. Hard to believe that guy's still unforgiven, it's been like twenty years.

Me and a guy who used to trade Pink Floyd boots back and forth in the late 90s/early 2000s used to use silly return addresses; one I got from him was "The Unforgiven III: The Final Dimension". It's not as funny to me as it once was.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Here is every discussion about The Final Cut ever:

Person with taste: The Final Cut is so good, one of their best
Person who thinks it's rad to be 16 and smoke weed in the basement while telling your friends about how Comfortably Numb is about heroin man : The Final Cut is boring poo poo

fixed

EDIT: Seriously, I can't conceive of how altered a state it would take for The Division Bell to be anything more than a dull monotonous slog with two good songs and an inferior version of "Raise My Rent"

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 26, 2014

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

echinopsis posted:

you must be a real blast at parties, stopping the music and then crying into a mic while the memory of your dad jerking off your uncle plays over and over in your head

All of which would still not kill a party faster than spinning "Lost for Words" and "A Great Day for Freedom" back to back.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Cyra posted:

Pink Floyd isn't generally spun at parties

you're partying with the wrong people

Another new clip, not as interesting as the first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUm7viV9oc

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

even if you added a great scorching solo to Mike Love's "Wrinkles", it would still be "Wrinkles".

echinopsis posted:

Also pompeii echoes? Best echoes :smugmrgw:

finally, a reasonable opinion

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

This is piss on toast, except boring.

pick the right thirty seconds out of Shine On or Echoes and it would sound boring too, but I have a feeling we're dealing with neither.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

More likely he's annoyed at the endless stream of "IS ROGRE INVOLLVED". God knows I am.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

This is going to solve the problem of 'what is the worst Pink Floyd album?'. So at least we can take that from this.

As long as "La Carrera Panamerica" has existed in some form we've had an answer. MLoR owns, Obscured by Clouds owns.

BigFactory posted:

I rest my case. What was that, 1986?

Edit: so it was 1992. He hasn't made anything really at all in over 20 years, and Amused to Death is the furthest thing in my mind from an "interesting" album. It's competent. Pushes zero boundaries. Never something I want to listen to. For a dinosaur rock artist making an album in his 4th decade of being a musician, it's "pretty good".

Amused to Death owns, the KAOS tour owned even if the album was half-baked. The less said about his lyrics 2000-2014 the better though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

wow way to have bad opinions about certain things!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

This actually sounds less like a Division Bell outtake, and more like an outtake from Gilmour's first solo album. Which is, you know, okay with me. As a "single", well, good luck finding the "single"s in the post-1970 back catalogue. Sounds more like a chunk cut out of a longer piece

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 3, 2014

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

No one here has committed any crime great enough to deserve PULSE

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

What's wrong with Pulse?

The same thing wrong with the rest of the 1994 tour: overblown without any hint of passion. It takes hard work to make Dark Side of the Moon boring.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

After a few days to sink in, "Side 1" and "Side 3" are quite good, and Louder Than Words is still complete dogshit that wrecks the mood entirely.

Full Disclosure: the only PF album I liked on first listen was Atom Heart Mother

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

To be fair: Atom Heart Mother owns.

I did not, nor will I ever, deny this very basic fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I see more "pre-release skepticism" than "post-release hate" here honestly.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's not terrible it's just really underwhelming and they should have gone out with The Division Bell instead.

with the exception of Louder Than Words, I'm glad they didn't. TDB was some embarrassing dogshit.

Though really I considered the Live 8 set as more of a swan song than either album.

• Locked thread