Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DivisionPost posted:

Can you go into a little more detail about this? How do you mean "streamlined"? Was the process too complicated? Too much information at once?

Too much information at once. My first page had a huge amount of numbers, and when I was nearly finished with all of them, I hit the backspace bar to erase one of them. This instead made my browser go backwards one page and I lost all the information I had written. If the forms were more widespread across several pages (instead of many forms on a few pages), it'd be easier to go through, with the forms saving more often.

Also, would a ranking system work better for this sort of form? The 100 point system is fine. I'm just thinking it'd be easier if the rules were "Pick 5, rank them from 1 to 5, 5 being the best." And then you could total the ranks of everybody.

Ex:

Topic: Best Drama series

I give Hannibal a 5, Game of Thrones a 3, and Fargo 4, etc. Someone else gives GoT 5, Fargo 3, Hannibal 4.

So totals would be: GoT: 8; Fargo: 7, Hannibal: 9

And Hannibal would be the highest ranked drama series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the issue is that you basically have to do the whole giving weight thing in order for it to work right, and I'm too much of a lazy piece of poo poo for that!

edit: ^^^ this could work

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
One thing on the existing form is that there's no real way for someone to go "yeah, I kinda feel like I've seen enough to rate in Category X"..."oh poo poo, now looking at these choices I haven't seen like most of them" - you can't subsequently leave the question blank without re-doing the whole thing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
In that case you would give each show the same number of points, so as not to make any single show more or less likely to be nominated. Giving every one of five shows 20 points is the same as not assigning any points to any show (the same goes for giving 25 points each to all 4 shows or 10 points each to all ten shows in a category).

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 14, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

In that case you would give each show the same number of points, so as not to make any single show more or less likely to be nominated. Giving every one of five shows 20 points is the same as not assigning any points to any show (the same goes for giving 25 points each to all 4 shows or 10 points each to all ten shows in a category).

Yeah, I know that works, but it's not exactly user-friendly. I was under the impression there was a push to re-do the page for more user-friendliness or whatever, so I figured I'd mention that case.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Some weird categories in some parts but oh well.
I can't help but give some shows a lot of legacy points due to well, memories. :3:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the voting system was rather straightforward and actually liked it more than just picking 3-5 names. Giving more weight to specific choices was a good idea.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

I thought the voting system was rather straightforward and actually liked it more than just picking 3-5 names. Giving more weight to specific choices was a good idea.

This isn't the time or the place but that avatar is goddamned amazing considering your sudden un-retirement.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just figured out I could input negative points, is that intentional? You may wanna fix that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrAristocrates posted:

I just figured out I could input negative points, is that intentional? You may wanna fix that.

Did you figure it out from reading the thread?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deadpool posted:

Did you figure it out from reading the thread?

I read through it and totally missed that post, poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there going to be a new form or not? Just so I know if I should keep waiting before I vote.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

Is there going to be a new form or not? Just so I know if I should keep waiting before I vote.

DivisionPost posted:

If you want to vote for nominees, don't wait up for me, just use the current form. If I decide to switch over, it could take a while to re-do all the questions, and there are a couple of kinks that further complicate a theoretical switchover. It's enough that I don't WANT to go through the trouble if I don't have to.

And again, if there's a new form, it looks like I can set it up so anybody who already voted is counted. So go ahead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No but I mean because I want to do it the other way, but if that ain't happening I'll just vote now

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

No but I mean because I want to do it the other way, but if that ain't happening I'll just vote now

Well, now I can say definitively: It ain't happening. Last night my apartment flooded; I lost a few paper files but thankfully nothing too catastrophic. Still, half the afternoon is going to be spent sucking the excess water out of my carpet before it gets mildewy (no padding under it, thank God). The other half is going to be spent on a needed break, and then I'm gonna spend tonight into tomorrow afternoon on guard, hoping my temporary fix to the house's broken gutter stays in place. At that point implementing a new form is going to be even sillier than it was before.

So, yeah, you're stuck with this form, guys, sorry. If you're having trouble with a category, say you selected categories thinking you'd be able to vote on them, but then realize you haven't watched enough of the shows to make an informed vote? At the bottom of the form there should be a button labeled "PREV." Use that to backtrack to the first page and deselect the offending categories. If you're backtracking from the second page, your responses from the first page should be safe.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
...Well drat, how am I meant to complain now?!?!

Nah, that's really lovely, man. Hope you get it all sorted soon.

edit apparently i can still complain cause this is so annoying ugh :(

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 15, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

...Well drat, how am I meant to complain now?!?!

Oh, you can totally complain about the system itself, it's not like I came up with that under duress. It's just that an act of God/unsecured gutters is making my office temporarily uninhabitable, and has robbed me of any chance I had to make a new form in a reasonable time frame.

And honestly, besides that and a few random papers that I may or may not need in the future (one of them was my first Writer's Guild certificate, but that can be salvaged), that's the absolute worst of it. Don't give me too many sympathy points.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've submitted now. I actually didn't mind in the end because I ended up being able to do poo poo like give Kaitlyn Dever a point or two. Won't matter at all in any way except for my own amusement, but I got enough of that!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, I've called a wrap on the nomination period. I got half the nominees figured out, I'll work on the other half tomorrow and get back to you.

I think people are going to be mostly happy. Well, except for one category. Possible ironic voting hijinks have...well, you've got some comedy coming your way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DivisionPost posted:

I think people are going to be mostly happy. Well, except for one category. Possible ironic voting hijinks have...well, you've got some comedy coming your way.

Tell me that Last Man Standing is up for Best Comedy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's possible I hosed something up, I dumped a lot of points in categories I had insufficient answers for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Tell me that Last Man Standing is up for Best Comedy.

I hope everyone else did what I did and gave Kaitlyn Dever points.

MrAristocrates posted:

It's possible I hosed something up, I dumped a lot of points in categories I had insufficient answers for.

I would just go like 50/49 for the two I wanted and dump 1 point in something I had maybe heard of if I couldn't get to three.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, I gotta make the form for you guys, but :siren: here are your nominees for the 2014 TV IV Awards! :siren: You can tab through the categories on the bottom. Back tonight!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I demand that all of you vote for Dog With A Blog :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it okay to give zeros? I didn't watch enough shows to make it 3 for each categories, so I'd rather not give too many points at random.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

I demand that all of you vote for Dog With A Blog :colbert:

Dog With A Blog for underdog comedy. :downsgun:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't vote for that, so it's actually not my fault.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Good job FYAD for voting for the worst nominees in every category. Mission accomplished :thumbsup:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
:siren: All right, the Awards Ballot is live! Go go go! :siren:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vote Twilight Zone.

That is all.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
gently caress how do I pick Lost vs. Twin Peaks if I've watched Lost but I want to watch Twin Peaks?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Sober posted:

gently caress how do I pick Lost vs. Twin Peaks if I've watched Lost but I want to watch Twin Peaks?

Pick Twin Peaks. Lost was horrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

Pick Lost because the last guy said not to.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I liked both, but I picked Lost, because that is the result that will most likely make people mad. If Twin Peaks wins, the people that didn't vote it will mostly just shrug.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Please post all the write-in votes for the last ballot after all of this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wanted to do Heroes but According to Jim fit the theme.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Sober posted:

Please post all the write-in votes for the last ballot after all of this

DP's been keeping track of them so I'm guessing he will.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

I wanted to do Heroes but According to Jim fit the theme.

I voted for Who because ATJ is just boring instead of offensive and I want to see Moffat make Occ squirm.

Also I like LOST but Twin Peaks definitely deserves the win there. And anyone who doesn't vote Sopranos for the drama medal should be ashamed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, poo poo. I should have done new Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I put down True Detective, but in lieu of the short episode count/might have watched it, I also put down "record yourself reading the TD TVIV thread".

• Locked thread