Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
I have a little cash to invest but I'm short on free time...

In the past I've had success 'flipping cars' by means of buying undervalued, undermarketed, or easy fix vehicles and re-selling them on Craigslist. It was fun and lucrative, but also time consuming. You have to be available to leave at a moments notice to go check out a vehicle the moment it goes up on Craigslist and have the flexibility to show the vehicle at random times.

It was technically highly risky, but I was fortunate to only lose money on 1 or 2 out of the 20-30 cars I've flipped, and really I about broke even or lost only a few hundred even then.

I've also played around with 'sports investing' (gambling) but I can't seem to get ahead on a consistent basis. I'm willing to engage in something as risky as gambling but was hoping for something a little more... Consistently repeatable? Gambling at the end of the day is just coin flip luck.

My situation now is that I've got a great high paying job, but it requires a good 55-70 hours a week and a laser focus to stay on top of. I'm making good progress on paying down other debt and all but at this point I'm wanting something super aggressive but something that I can either do that requires less free time, or at least more directed free time so I can set aside a single day off to devote to it.

The peer to peer lending thread made that avenue sound interesting but I'm afraid the returns just aren't aggressive enough. I'm used to being able to risk 2-5 grand, and make %750-$1500 a pop.

In short, I'm looking for options for some investment/money-making vehicle - short term and high yield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003

Not a Children posted:

If something like this existed without substantial risk everyone would be doing it. Either you have to literally gamble or do something with high risk (i.e., illegal).

I'm OK with substantial risk, I would just rather it be something that wasn't a pure luck based gamble.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a controlled project like a car or house rehab project. I don't have quite enough cash yet to get a property rehab flip project going and I don't have the time to hunt for car deals...

Nocheez posted:

Sounds like Poker is right up your alley.

Well, it might be if I wasn't completely terrible, lol... I've not devoted a huge amount of time or energy to really get good, but as it stands I'm pretty awful.

tbp posted:

Hello OP. You can trade High Yield Credit Default Swaps.

That sounds interesting, how does a novice get involved in something that sophisticated?

• Locked thread