Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I think I have to support PAOK because they agree that Pablo Garcia is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
They do and he is, he's become assistant manager. I have no idea why he loves PAOK so much but PAOK fans are crazy about him and I think that's part of the reason the current administration, which never warmed to him, decided to hire him as part of the coaching team.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AEK is the coolest club out there imo

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

they're cool and the K in both PAOK and AEK stands for Constantinople while they both feature a double-headed eagle on their crest, although the eagle on AEK's crest has his wings spread wide in pride, while "the PAOK eagle has its wings folded and the colors are black and white, to symbolize the black of mourning for the tragic story of lost homelands, and white for the hope of a better tomorrow"

AEK is also the team where the greatly misinformed or just terribly ill-brained Giorgos Katidis played

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Well the first week of this year's Superleague is over and many are (probably right in) claiming that the results will basically mirror the entire season:

- Olympiacos won an incredibly comfortable victory over Niki Volou with 3 goals in the first 32 minutes. Very hard to imagine any other Greek team proving a match for them.
- PAOK and Panathinaikos, the only other real contenders, both stumbled against small clubs, Kalloni and Livadeiakos, respectively, barely getting away with a 1-1 tie.
- PAOK fans accosted the club president, Ivan Savvidis, angry at the lack of quality players and signings over the summer.
- Panathinaikos' best player, Marcus Berg, suffered a shoulder injury that may keep him off the pitch for a couple of months and dash their hopes for a good first half of the season.
- By all accounts, the Veria-Xanthi match was the most entertaining to watch, with 5 goals.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My boyhood club Panathinaikos will struggle in the first half but make brilliant signings in the January window to be a strong contender for the title.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
We talked about this briefly in the Serie A thread but Rino Gattuso threw himself on to one of OFI's strikers after he scored a late winner last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPl-b_oQesw

That Terrone Passion is coming to Greece

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

The second week's over and the results were more or less as expected, with one huge exception:

Olympiacos tied with Panaitolikos, something no one, including Panaitolikos expected. That said, Olympiacos has sold off a shitload of players over the course of the last two weeks. The reason is honestly unclear, as they were already swimming in cash and the team they had comfortably won the league last year. Maybe they want to give the other clubs a fighting change?

- PAOK beat Platanias 4-0 to make up for last season's dreadful 2-1 loss
- Asteras Tripolis came up from behind to beat Livadeiakos
- OFI lost to Veria, Gattuso was sad
- Panathinaikos came up from behind to beat Panionios 2-1 with two goals in stoppage time. The highlight of the match was the stadium sprinklers randomly turning on during the game:

https://vine.co/v/OBXLdWDB0O7

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Maradonna Summer posted:

- Panathinaikos came up from behind to beat Panionios 2-1 with two goals in stoppage time. The highlight of the match was the stadium sprinklers randomly turning on during the game:

https://vine.co/v/OBXLdWDB0O7

This is a very Greek thing to happen.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Has olympiacos bought anyone to replace the outgoing players?

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Has olympiacos bought anyone to replace the outgoing players?

yes, the most noteworthy being afellay, abidal, kasami and (lol) mitroglou

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Maradonna Summer posted:

yes, the most noteworthy being afellay, abidal, kasami and (lol) mitroglou

Poor Mitroglou, I thought he was going to do well, but I guess only watching him play for Greece might've influenced that.

Kasami was good for Palermo anyway.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

How has Giorgos "Get Rich Or Die Trying" Katidis been for Veria?

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

You mean Giorgos "nazi salute? What nazi sal- oh you mean THAT nazi salute? I didn't know what it meant lol, my bad" Katidis and i haven't watched any Veria matches so idk

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Want to see a translator second guess his career choice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9HxCjU9t0

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lmao what the hell is he doing going from English to Italian and back? Also he's barely making any sense in either language, Jesus Christ.

How long til he gets the sack?

E: ahahahaha CSA how does the translate translate "cazzate" around the four minute mark

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 21, 2014

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

This has been an exciting two weeks for Greek football!

Domestically, same old:

Olympiacos remains, predictably, on top of the table, although PAOK has a match tonight and, if we win, will share first place with Olympiacos.

Internationally, though, Olympiacos beat Atletico Madrid 3-2 in the CL, with Mitroglou returning to Olympiacos and to goal-scoring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE20ne0j940

In the EL, PAOK beat Dinamo Minsk 6-1 and Stefanos Athanassiadis became the first PAOK player ever to score a hat trick in a European competition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsmocNv6Vqs

Also in the EL, Asteras Tripolis came away with a 1-1 draw against Besiktas, which everyone here is hailing as a huge victory for such a small team. On the other hand, Panathinaikos lost 1-2 to Dynamo Moscow.

trem_two posted:

Want to see a translator second guess his career choice?

I look in the mirror every day, thanks

Gigi Galli posted:

Lmao what the hell is he doing going from English to Italian and back? Also he's barely making any sense in either language, Jesus Christ.

How long til he gets the sack?

E: ahahahaha CSA how does the translate translate "cazzate" around the four minute mark

he doesn't get a chance to translate it, gattuso says it's "poo poo" and then "malakies" which basically means "bullshit". the translator apologises beforehand for having to swear and then does swear indeed

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Week 5 is almost over (match tomorrow between Kalloni and Panthrakikos, no interest for the standings) and things have taken a turn indeed!

Olympiacos lost a match, which is news in itself, with Atromitos beating them 1-0 at home. The last time Olympiacos lost a Superleague match was in April 2014.

You can see the goal, provided it's not geoblocked, by clicking here.

In other news, PAOK just got done demolishing Gattuso's OFI 4-0. The final goal was a doozy and you can see it, provided it's not geoblocked, by clicking here.

As it stands, PAOK is now in first place, with Veria doing really well so far and staying in 2nd place and Olympiacos now in an unaccustomed 3rd place.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Maradonna Summer posted:

The final goal was a doozy and you can see it, provided it's not geoblocked, by clicking here.

Lol that was great.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Maradonna Summer posted:

The final goal was a doozy and you can see it, provided it's not geoblocked, by clicking here.

That's certainly something you don't see every day.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Man, I feel bad for the OFI keeper on that 4th PAOK goal, that save on the second to last shot was brilliant.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

he did the best he could but his defenders really let him down throughout the night imo

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

crazy that it took them four shots to tap it in

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That's ridiculous, that keeper has every right to be mad as hell

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Reminder to Drogadon that big bad boy Mayron "Garbageman" George plays for OFI.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

He had a few decent chances, tbh he was the only OFI player who seemed to threaten PAOK at all.

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
He'll probably be shipped back to CR in a year or so, once they find out he's quite unprofessional, rebellious and indisciplined.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

SandersPacheco posted:

Reminder to Drogadon that big bad boy Mayron "Garbageman" George plays for OFI.

Holy poo poo I had completely forgotten that this guy existed. I'm surprised he hasn't pissed Genaro off yet.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

This weekend's matches have been postponed following the death of an Ethnikos fan following incidents around a third division match. In European news, PAOK and Olympiacos got their asses handed to them in the EL and CL by Guingamp and Malmö, respectively. On the other hand, Asteras Tripolis beat Partizan 2-0 in the EL and everyone's really happy for them. Thanks for reading!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

This was on a Greek sports site after the game the other day

lmao

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

yeah Ranieri is being roasted in the media today, i expected him to be booted tbh

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

The 7th week of the Superleague is over (following 2 weeks of inactivity, one because of the death of a football fan, the other because of national team humiliation) and the results are almost in, with one game remaining tonight between Panionios and PAS Giannena:

- PAOK beat Atromitos, winning 2-1 at home.
- Olympiacos barely scraped by Ergotelis, winning 3-2 thanks to a Mitroglou goal in the final moments and remaining within breathing distance of PAOK. Very entertaining match, you can watch highlights here if they're not geoblocked.
- Veria beat Levadiakos and remains in second place, to the surprise of everyone.
- Panathinaikos lost to OFI at home with a couple of lovely goals (here's one) which was almost the biggest surprise of the week. The actual biggest surprise of the week was Gattuso's comments during the post-match interview, apologising for what he considered to be flopping by his players during the second half. Such a comment is basically unprecedented in Greece where you just call the opponent a sore loser when he accuses you of flopping to waste time when you're ahead.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Gattuso resigned today after his press conference, his reasoning being that he can't inspire his players.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

trem_two posted:

Gattuso resigned today after his press conference, his reasoning being that he can't inspire his players.

This is actually the biggest news of the week, since this week's fixtures went exactly as expected.

To recap: After a 3-2 loss to Asteras Tripolis, Gattuso announced that he was resigning. His explanation was:

"It’s difficult for me to continue this experience. I’ve given my passion and strength to this, and I’m sorry, but I can’t continue. I’ve had four incredible months here, the city is fantastic and so are the fans. But I can’t carry the weight of the situation on my shoulders alone anymore."

According to today's news, the administration of OFI have not accepted his resignation and are moving heaven and earth to try and keep him there. It doesn't seem to be a financial issue, so I don't think throwing money at him will work. We'll see.

As for the rest of the week:

- PAOK beat Veria 4-1 at home quite comfortably. The last goal was really something.
- Olympiacos beat Panathinaikos in the first real derby of the season. The match itself was awful in terms of spectacle and there are numerous complaints about the referee, as there always are in the Greek clasico. Olympiacos slipped passed Veria to second place, just 3 points away from PAOK.

In the CL, Olympiacos beat Juventus 1-0 and are very happy with themselves indeed.
In the EL, PAOK lost to Fiorentina 0-1, Panathinaikos tied with PSV 1-1, while Asteras Tripolis got demolished by Spurs 5-1, with the match featuring that rabona goal everyone's been talking about.

For fans of AEK, Aris and Iraklis, the "big" teams brought low, they will be happy to note that their teams are doing really well, with AEK and Iraklis on top of the two groups of the Football League (Greece's 2nd division) tables. Aris is competing in the Gamma Ethniki (3rd division) and is in 7th place, a few points away from first place. Expect to see them back in the Superleague in a few years' time.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

According to news reports, fans visited Gattuso's house last night to convince him to stay (no idea if this is a euphemism or not, cretans are insane) and it worked. He's agreed to stay on.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Maradonna Summer posted:

According to news reports, fans visited Gattuso's house last night to convince him to stay (no idea if this is a euphemism or not, cretans are insane) and it worked. He's agreed to stay on.

Rino's an emotional dude; if it really happened then there's no reason not to believe this.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

That's my view, too, just Mediterraneans being passionate and impulsive imvho

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Another week is over and the table is as was:

- PAOK beat Ergotelis 0-2
- Panathinaikos beat Atromitos 2-0
- Veria tied 2-2 with Panionios and the match featured this lovely goal by Javier Cámpora:

- Olympiacos tied 0-0 with Asteras Tripolis, in what was a landmark game for Greek refereeing. There has been non-stop reporting and the reason is the referee Spathas, who made egregious errors and calls that blatantly favoured Olympiacos. There's already tonnes of videos of all the errors he made (available here in video and gif form), players sent off for no reason, nonexistent offside blown time after time against Asteras, etc. Here's hoping Hugh Dallas, who was appointed head referee this summer, actually makes a decision about this, although to be honest the calmest reaction and best solution for the championship would be to simply ensure Spathas never sets foot on a pitch again.

Meanwhile, PAOK is 5 points ahead of Olympiacos, who's facing Juventus on Tuesday. PAOK has a slew of tough games ahead, starting with the match against Fiorentina in Firenzi on Thursday. Asteras Tripolis is facing Spurs again on Thursday and is hoping for anything other than an embarrassment.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Reviving this thread because it appears the entire league has been put to a halt by the authorities: (in Italian, sorry) http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Estero/25-02-2015/violenza-fuori-controllo-grecia-sospende-campionato-1001024681739.shtml

Violence last weekend at a couple of derby matches prompted it, but I wonder if the recent change in government had anything to do with it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Countdown til FIFA bans Greece for government intervention in football matters.

• Locked thread