Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
I have a '13 F One Fiddy with an ecoboost and the trailer towing package (locking rear diff!)(amazing mirrors and backup camera) and its pretty good. The ecoboost returns decent mileage towing and un loaded, but never above 20. It also has great power delivery and torque even on a stock tune and boost and what not. Its a pretty decent step up if your like me and have been driving mod motor f-150s forever but its now about on the same level as the other half tons power wise in my opinion. Also, the 4 door has an absolutely ridiculous amount of room inside, literally feels bigger than a 2010 f-250 4 door. Also the backup camera in my rear view has 3 levels of zoom so you can hitch up to any trailer by yourself in about 5 seconds and it should be loving standard on any truck designed for towing from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I guess I should at least look at a 150.

iwentdoodie posted:

Probably because Carmax is a pretty giant ripoff.

Not really. They're a useful tool. If you buy there you won't get the best price, but you won't get the worst price either. I don't go there to buy. I go there because it's literally the closest car store to my house and I can drive pretty much any make or model vehicle I want to in a few minutes.

Plus! While you're doing that, if you have a trade, let them evaluate it. They will give you a price guarantee in writing that they will honor, and buy your car from you whether you buy one from them or not, good for one week.

Did that when I got the wife's Pilot. Negotiating with the Honda dealer, I refused to discuss the trade until the sale price of the car was finalized. Then said, let's talk about the trade. They offered $1000 less than CarMax. I said, no, I'll take it to Carmax and sell it there. They agreed to pay the $1000 more. Bing bang boom, just like that.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I really appreciate the way Carmax does business, they're upfront and don't play games. I've bought my last two not-beaters from them, and I've sold them three cars. They sold us my wife's MDX for $2k under blue book for the mileage, so I can't complain. :toot:

Buying and selling cars is my least favorite automotive activity, and Carmax really takes the headache out of it. Could I have wasted hours/days of my time and gotten a slightly better deal? Probably. But my time is valuable, and there is something to be said for an easy transaction.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 10, 2014

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also they have a new policy - the cars on the lot are unlocked, so you can just go poking around and sit in 'em.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

DrPain posted:

I really appreciate the way Carmax does business, they're upfront and don't play games. I've bought my last two not-beaters from them, and I've sold them three cars. They sold us my wife's MDX for $2k under blue book for the mileage, so I can't complain. :toot:

Buying and selling cars is my least favorite automotive activity, and Carmax really takes the headache out of it. Could I have wasted hours/days of my time and gotten a slightly better deal? Probably. But my time is valuable, and there is something to be said for an easy transaction.

This is exactly how I feel about CarMax. I got about $2k less than what people were asking on CL. But I didn't have to deal with CL flakes, haggle, etc. They cut me a check and I walk away with no problems.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

pr0k posted:

:thumbsup:

I am calling junkyards trying to get a cheap set of 20's so I can salvage my Cooper Zeons. It finally occurred to me to ask:

What the gently caress good is putting 20" rims on a truck? Is there an advantage to that that I am not seeing? A cursory google search says pretty much no. The only reason I had 'em on the '08 was because that was what was on it and I bought off the lot. I actually would have preferred 17s. Cheaper tires and I think 20s look stupid tbh.

I roll on 22.5 dawg.

I'm kinda confused at one thing with the BIG RIMZ from the factory on 4x4 trucks, I've always wanted more tire sidewall than anything on a 4x4 to save wheels, but I guess that changed? Maybe I am old and poop a lot or something, but...

Also superhigh bedsides suck, I don't want to toss my back out tossing poo poo in the bed. My current bed is a bit higher than I like, but I'm also running 235/85R16 instead of 225/75R16 to give me a little more top end.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

pr0k posted:

I guess I should at least look at a 150.

Not really. They're a useful tool. If you buy there you won't get the best price, but you won't get the worst price either.

I'm not denying it can be useful or fun, but their pricing (at least on poo poo I've looked at) has been horrid. Best example is the car we just bought, a 2014 Escape Titanium. 26.9 OTD. Carmax price on a 2013 with less options, and 20-60k miles, was the same or at most a grand less.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Doesn't seem out of line.

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/24/ford/escape/titanium/

I don't know why used cars seem to be keeping more value than my old rear end would think, but apparently they do.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

pr0k posted:

Doesn't seem out of line.

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/24/ford/escape/titanium/

I don't know why used cars seem to be keeping more value than my old rear end would think, but apparently they do.

There still is a huge warble in used car prices from Cash for Clunkers and a economy still in the dump.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I drive a 2011 Tacoma for work, about to order a new 2015 but I still lust for a Duramax. I wish my company had those new little GMs with the baby diesel on the approved order list... as long as they are't S10 rattleboxes.

I'm probably going to buy out the Tacoma from the lease company and flip it because they hold their value stupid well

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

King Ranch tells his workers that "the boss is here."

Which is basically pointless, because every boss of everything in this province drives an Avalanche and no commercial is going to sway them until GM decides to stop making them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Part of the reason old Tacomas hold their value is that it's been the same goddamn truck since 2004, with interior and styling updates. It needs a redesign but unlike the Frontier there isn't even a hint of a new Tacoma that I've seen.

For what it's worth with regard to full-size trucks, the situation up in Canada is a little different than in the US with Ram being a huge seller up here. Ram trucks are crazy popular and hold up better than the GM trucks over time up here where winter is half the year, the temperature swings from -40C to 30C+ throughout the year and the roads fall apart within a year of being paved. All the recent transmission issues with Fiat Chrysler vehicles were with the brand new ZF nine speed developed for FWD platforms, they have nothing to do with the eight speed in the trucks which is probably the best truck transmission available at the moment.

Tundras are solid if all you do is light duty hauling or towing but they don't seem to hold up as well to heavy use or abuse as the newer domestic platforms.

Ford is running on the oldest platform of the domestics right now and is getting a new truck out on the market later this year/early next year depending on if production gets delayed, but to be honest I'd still get an F-150 over a GM truck at this point. If I were in the market for a new truck today however it'd be a Ram.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Part of the reason old Tacomas hold their value is that it's been the same goddamn truck since 2004, with interior and styling updates. It needs a redesign but unlike the Frontier there isn't even a hint of a new Tacoma that I've seen.
Taco *just* got facelifted, so we're looking at a few years yet even until they start thinking about a new gen. But the whole small truck market has been moving at a snail's pace since it existed, the S10 was basically the same truck for 20 years, as was the Ranger. Pre-Taco-era Hiluxes never really changed much either for a few decades.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Tommychu posted:

Taco *just* got facelifted, so we're looking at a few years yet even until they start thinking about a new gen. But the whole small truck market has been moving at a snail's pace since it existed, the S10 was basically the same truck for 20 years, as was the Ranger. Pre-Taco-era Hiluxes never really changed much either for a few decades.

Which worked out fine until the full-size truck market exploded and we began getting fresh designs every few years. I have always liked smaller trucks and find the new full-size models to be huge to the point of ridiculousness, but it's hard to argue in favor of a Tacoma or Frontier when they aren't much cheaper than a new full-size that's better in every other way including fuel economy.

As much as I appreciate easier parking I'd be hard pressed to consider a Tacoma (Even ignoring poo poo like drum brakes and frame rot in the year 2014) over a comparably priced, larger, more economical, more durable, more capable, more comfortable, Ford or Ram.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's what I was always bitching about with both my S10 ZR2 and trailblazer. They were smaller, didn't carry as much and sucked fuel like a fuel size. I drive the suburban now and even with the 6.0L I still average 15 in mixed driving.

The only way I would go back to a small truck is in a ranger with a 4 cylinder 5 speed.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Wheeee posted:

For what it's worth with regard to full-size trucks, the situation up in Canada is a little different than in the US with Ram being a huge seller up here. Ram trucks are crazy popular and hold up better than the GM trucks over time up here where winter is half the year, the temperature swings from -40C to 30C+ throughout the year and the roads fall apart within a year of being paved. All the recent transmission issues with Fiat Chrysler vehicles were with the brand new ZF nine speed developed for FWD platforms, they have nothing to do with the eight speed in the trucks which is probably the best truck transmission available at the moment.

Tundras are solid if all you do is light duty hauling or towing but they don't seem to hold up as well to heavy use or abuse as the newer domestic platforms.

That's basically the opposite of what I've seen from living in two provinces with people that use the hell out of their trucks. Not a lot of old dodges (1/2 tons) survive potato farming, but the old fords/chevy's are still kicking. Tundra's are obviously pretty new (comparatively), and the lack of a 3/4 ton option really hurts sales, but a lot of guys are picking them up and loving them so far. Move to the 3/4 ton's, and then you do see more dodges surviving, but we've still had a lot of friends/farmer we know who have blown up not-that-old dodges with stuff that the equivalent Chevy/Ford just takes in stride. My dads old 2WD single cab chevy 1500 with the 6.2 diesel has somewhere north of 700,000 km and other than eating a battery every two years and blowing the odd hose has never had problems, and we've towed well over its GVWR for its entire life. Hell, we stil have an old gas 2500 with the 454 in it that was use as a fuel hauler/mobile repair platform - it hates starting, but once it runs its fun.

And up here in NE ontario with a lot of logging/mining, most work trucks seem to be Fords, with some Chevy's and a few Tundra's. I've seen next to zero Dodge's being used by any of the companies who use the hell out of their vehicles - its 2500 diesel duramaxes for the guys towing heavy highway loads, and F250/350 superduties for the "I drive on something that you might call a road but its not really" crowd. Tundra's are getting really popular as a good mix-truck - they don't have the towing capacity, but they seat 5 comfortably, and go through a ton, so they are getting used more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wheeee posted:

Ford is running on the oldest platform of the domestics right now and is getting a new truck out on the market later this year/early next year depending on if production gets delayed, but to be honest I'd still get an F-150 over a GM truck at this point. If I were in the market for a new truck today however it'd be a Ram.
I see far more Fords and GMs vs Dodge and when I last looked resale was nothing to write home about compared to them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm with slidebite on this one (AB for liaf, am I right?).

Ford trucks are the dominant species in AB, whether that's F150s or Rangers. The current generation of F150 seems especially popular in the city.

Old Rams (I'm talking 80s or before) are either immaculately restored or nonexistent. There's enough 80s Silverados still on the street to choke a dog as well, but the GM resale is atrocious (Colorados are dipping below the $5000 mark). There used to be a great sideline in 70s C10s but I believe that specialty retailers are snapping them up off the private market.

It might be a bit of bias on my end since I've never considered the old Rams to be well built, robustly designed or protected against corrosion. Most Dodge products are good-looking but disposable in my experience. Dakotas seem to hold up pretty well, though. I still see dozens of 90s Dakotas tooling around and their resale is pretty solid for what I always considered an ugly also-ran truck.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 11, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

pr0k posted:

My point of view is that most vehicles go 100k or ten years or so, then they start to need a lot of maintenance.

Thank you, this attitude provides a constant stream of cheap used vehicles for those of us that don't buy new.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
You also have to consider that overall sales the Ford is like 4:1 Ram, so if makes sense you are going to see more of them on the roads

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

You also have to consider that overall sales the Ford is like 4:1 Ram, so if makes sense you are going to see more of them on the roads

Dodge also didn't even begin getting their poo poo together until the 90's.

I'm more a Ford guy than a Ram guy to put it in truck terms but the current Ford is getting long in the tooth. I believe the new aluminum F-150 is going to introduce production methods and develop large scale supply chains that have a drastic positive effect on the industry and would wait on them to hit the market if possible.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I drove all the 1/2 tons (except the Nissan .. that IS getting old) and liked the F150 the best. The Tundra engine and brakes were spectacular but overall I didn't like it as much as the ford basically - the dampened tailgate is pretty drat cool though. The chevy I liked the look of the best but the interior quality was terrible (maybe just the one I drove but everything was cheap and plasticky and the steering wheel cocked 15 degrees to the side with wires hanging loosely under the dash).

The ram I enjoyed as well but the styling is kind of over the top, and I didn't really feel any special way towards it. That is not descriptive I know. I also got a pretty good run out deal on the ford.

I would definitely go the ecoboost (I have a 5.0, coworker has ecoboost), I would have gotten it except I was shopping run outs and couldnt find the packages I wanted with the ecoboost except for the terrible tan interior (black on black baby). I've only towed probably ~5000 lb loads, so had no any issue whatsoever and can't comment too much on that. With a couple motorcycles and supplies for a track day (say 1000lbs total) in the back the ride is much better and in terms of freeway mileage / performance it didn't really feel like it took any hit.

It has enough ground clearance for mild offroading stock (probably like all the other trucks). I've taken it along some simple rocky trails, wet and muddy terrain and the beach and never had any issues except trying to pull a trailer down a small slope and having to back up in 4-hi due to insufficient ground clearance and getting the trailer tongue high centered. Shifting into 4hi/lo and auto (AWD) is super easy and smooth, and the electronic rear difflock actually seems to work too so that's neat.

Edit - I will say also that one of our clients buys F150s as work trucks exclusively. I was at one of their sites and they had a truck which was driven off the road down a 60 ft steep and rocky mountain side.
I don't know the exact details of the crash but the nose and roof were trashed as was the back of the bed. The middle of the truck was strangely unharmed and the crash required to do that makes me think it just rolled and bounced like a toy down that hill.
The guy driving it walked away unharmed, and they had the truck on display with a caution about fatigue. It makes me feel pretty drat secure in mine.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 11, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

I roll on 22.5 dawg.

I'm kinda confused at one thing with the BIG RIMZ from the factory on 4x4 trucks, I've always wanted more tire sidewall than anything on a 4x4 to save wheels, but I guess that changed? Maybe I am old and poop a lot or something, but...
It's fashionable among people who wouldn't dare get a speck of dirt on their precious brotruck and/or have no clue what they're doing. Sidewall is good, RIMZ are useless. You've got the right idea, just get a set of cheap 16-inch steelies and a proper set of tires for them and sell the 22.5's for :homebrew:

edit: I am an idiot. Again. :thejoke:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 12, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Friar Zucchini posted:

It's fashionable among people who wouldn't dare get a speck of dirt on their precious brotruck and/or have no clue what they're doing. Sidewall is good, RIMZ are useless. You've got the right idea, just get a set of cheap 16-inch steelies and a proper set of tires for them and sell the 22.5's for :homebrew:

I think you missed a joke there. Hint: not many passenger vehicles use 22.5s

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think you missed a joke there. Hint: not many passenger vehicles use 22.5s

http://chrome.yestechtoday.com/images/howbigrfloats.jpg

Doesn't stop them from trying!

Yeah, my big truck has 22.5 lo-profile, but my other trucks are all on 16s.

I really gotta start tearing into my Ford again.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Finally! Got my Zeons rescued. What a loving pain in the rear end. God drat Sears Tire. I have never had the misfortune of dealing with them before.

Called this morning, explained exactly what I wanted done. Guy says no problem, quotes me $68. Ok, whatever. I need this done and it's saturday. Get there at opening, 8 am with the truck and the tires, get in, guy says, "we don't mount used tires."

"WHAT? I CALLED! THE GUY..." ...luckily an older guy overheard and explained to the youngster that in fact they could and would mount used tires. Whew. Young guy puts in the data, quotes me $34. Ok...? How long - "hour - maybe hour and a half." WTF? This place is empty? "...ok."

Wander around a bit, there's only two mechanics working. Ok, whatever, walk over across the mall parking lot to a Mimi's Cafe. Never been there before. Crap food, crap service. Ugh. Anyway, so I come back an hour later and there's a line to the door of people wanting horrible service. Anyway, there's a kid working on my truck. Nice. But I watch him for a few minutes and goddamn if he wasn't the slowest fuckin mechanic I ever saw. I worked in a gas station/garage. I know how to mount and balance a fuckin tire. I know how long it takes. And it ain't even close to that long. All told it took them three hours. Three hours to unmount and mount four tires. But it was only $34, so I guess I can't complain there, but I would have happily paid double to have it done in a half hour. Goddamn.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The bullshittery of retail locations is a big reason why I either use friends, or in a pinch, a "we come to you" tire mounting/unmounting service. It costs more (like $90 a set for the mobile guy) but drat if they aren't in the biggest loving hurry to mount it up and get to the next place.

Then again, I don't really have anything nice, so I'm never worried about scratching my wheels.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The TPMS on my Tacoma tripped a couple weeks back and noticed a spike sticking out of my RR tire. Take it to fountain tire, drop it off and they say come back in an hour to get it which I do. Pick it up, notice my TPMS sensor still on as I drive away. Get home at 4:55 look under my truck and still see the loving spike sticking out of my RR tire. :argh:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

To echo all the other F150 things, the SuperCrew has a ludicrous amount of space in the rear, and being a relatively large dude I haven't had any problems at all with space up front. I don't know about a front bench, though - mine has the center console, which has been good to me. I've heard of quite a few issues with the Ecoboost though. You might be better off with one of the V8s.

GanjamonII posted:

I don't know the exact details of the crash but the nose and roof were trashed as was the back of the bed. The middle of the truck was strangely unharmed and the crash required to do that makes me think it just rolled and bounced like a toy down that hill.
The guy driving it walked away unharmed, and they had the truck on display with a caution about fatigue. It makes me feel pretty drat secure in mine.

I've heard and seen a lot of things like this. All signs seem to indicate the newer F150's cab is beefy as all hell.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 12, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

N is for Nipples posted:

I've heard and seen a lot of things like this. All signs seem to indicate the newer F150's cab is beefy as all hell.

Didn't they go all in after the test of the first "rounded" F150 showed you'd do better off to be ejected then try and ride it out?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

N is for Nipples posted:

To echo all the other F150 things, the SuperCrew has a ludicrous amount of space in the rear, and being a relatively large dude I haven't had any problems at all with space up front. I don't know about a front bench, though - mine has the center console, which has been good to me. I've heard of quite a few issues with the Ecoboost though. You might be better off with one of the V8s.

Yeah, ford had a commercial when the 04s first came out where they crushed a truck between 2 bulldozers, then 4 people opened the doors and got out of the cab as if nothing happened. The internet seems to have been purged of the video after ford realized it was a bad idea for a commercial, all that's left is this.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

Didn't they go all in after the test of the first "rounded" F150 showed you'd do better off to be ejected then try and ride it out?

The ones spanning the edge of the millenium were god-awful in front-offset crashes, and both body styles since have been fantastic about cab strength. Their crumple zones certainly crumple as expected but the cab is made of unobtainium and unicorn bones.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 13, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

N is for Nipples posted:

The ones spanning the edge of the millenium were god-awful in front-offset crashes, and both body styles since have been fantastic about cab strength. Their crumple zones certainly crumple as expected but the cab is made of unobtainium and unicorn bones.

Yeah, that's what I meant. You'll have to forgive me, as I really haven't been following truck/car life cycles and still think a car or truck made in the 1990's is new. I thought I remembered the round ones being soft, but completely forgot that's been 15 years ago.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Someone earlier was asking if the fuel efficiency savings of the 3.0l Diesel translated into money savings.

Natural Resources Canada says yes!

pre:
Make / Model 	Year  	 Class* Eng. size/ Cyl  Trans 	 Fuel 	 City Hwy L/yr  $/yr 	 CO2*g/km Class  Rank All 

RAM 1500 DIESEL	2014	PL	 3.0/6	A8	D	10.2	7.1	 1760	 $2270	238	1	416

RAM 1500 4X4 DIESEL	2014	PL	 3.0/6	A8	D	10.6	7.4	 1840	 $2374	248	2	488

RAM 1500 HFE	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	X	11.4	7.8	 1960	 $2548	225	3	578

RAM 1500 FFV	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	X	12.4	8.0	 2080	 $2704	239	4	655

RAM 1500 4X4 FFV	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	X	13.0	8.5	 2200	 $2860	253	9	718

RAM 1500 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A8	X	14.1	9.2	 2380	 $3094	274	23	816

RAM 1500 4X4 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A8	X	14.6	9.8	 2480	 $3224	285	25	851

RAM 1500 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A6	X	15.4	10.2	 2620	 $3406	301	33	886

RAM 1500 4X4 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A6	X	15.8	10.8	 2720	 $3536	313	37	904

RAM 1500 FFV	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	E	17.5	11.6	 2980	N/A	238	44	978
edit: sorry the formatting is kind of crap
search for your own vehicle here!
note that their testing cycle is changing this year so there is a second rating if you click on the car itself...
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 13, 2014

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Someone earlier was asking if the fuel efficiency savings of the 3.0l Diesel translated into money savings.

Natural Resources Canada says yes!

pre:
Make / Model 	Year  	 Class* Eng. size/ Cyl  Trans 	 Fuel 	 City Hwy L/yr  $/yr 	 CO2*g/km Class  Rank All 

RAM 1500 DIESEL	2014	PL	 3.0/6	A8	D	10.2	7.1	 1760	 $2270	238	1	416

RAM 1500 4X4 DIESEL	2014	PL	 3.0/6	A8	D	10.6	7.4	 1840	 $2374	248	2	488

RAM 1500 HFE	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	X	11.4	7.8	 1960	 $2548	225	3	578

RAM 1500 FFV	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	X	12.4	8.0	 2080	 $2704	239	4	655

RAM 1500 4X4 FFV	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	X	13.0	8.5	 2200	 $2860	253	9	718

RAM 1500 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A8	X	14.1	9.2	 2380	 $3094	274	23	816

RAM 1500 4X4 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A8	X	14.6	9.8	 2480	 $3224	285	25	851

RAM 1500 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A6	X	15.4	10.2	 2620	 $3406	301	33	886

RAM 1500 4X4 (MDS)	2014	PL	 5.7/8	A6	X	15.8	10.8	 2720	 $3536	313	37	904

RAM 1500 FFV	2014	PL	 3.6/6	A8	E	17.5	11.6	 2980	N/A	238	44	978
edit: sorry the formatting is kind of crap
search for your own vehicle here!
note that their testing cycle is changing this year so there is a second rating if you click on the car itself...
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm

Their new ratings are pretty close to what we are actually getting on our Mazdas - we are getting between the city and highway ratings. This makes sense as we don't do a lot of true stop/go nor a lot of true highway cruising.

I have heard of people getting surprising mileage on the highway with the new diesel, but I would guess that with the price difference (right now a least) you would need to be doing a lot of km's to make it pay off.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's worse than that, the annual cost they list uses $1.30/l for gas, $1.29/l for diesel for some reason. I would have just dumped the entire post, but I put several minutes of work into that thing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Stuck my nose in a new F150 today. Looked nice. Sticker shocked. Left. Found almost exactly what I wanted at a different dodge dealer and just finished going toe-to-toe with the salesman over the phone. Picking it up tomorrow for 33.2 OTD. Not a bad deal. Tradesman, black, V8, six-speed, crew cab, 6'4" bed(!), bedliner, tow hitch, midgrade electronics w/bluetooth. Of course it has the 17s, so now I have a beautiful set of Coopers I don't need.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Are you getting the integrated trailer brake controller then?

In general truck discussion, I read an article (Pop Mechanics maybe) where Ford is spending a ton of money re-training body shops and re-equiping because aluminum does not work at all like steel

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
It has listed as two items on the sheet:

Trailer Tow with 4-pin connecter wiring
7 pin wiring harness

So I think so?

edit to add: there's a whole special trailer tow package I'm not getting though - extra wide mirrors and something else on the brakes, I think?

pr0k fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pr0k posted:

Trailer Tow with 4-pin connecter wiring

That would be "no."

pr0k posted:

and something else on the brakes, I think?

The integrated brake controller.

• Locked thread