Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I liked this line

quote:

Eddie: Knock his college rear end out!

In a way, the director is using Eddie's anti-intellectualism to illustrate the Black communities unfortunate tendency to look down on those trying to "make it". Like the boiling lobster that pinches other lobsters in the boiling pot of cream, Eddie is damning himself with these words, funny as they may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Paul Mooney: [reviewing "Barbershop"] You know that's just a front. They sell drugs at the barbershops.

Thank you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

tbp posted:

Can I get some empty quotes for everyones favorite couple up in here

No.

African AIDS cum posted:

I liked this line

In a way, the director is using Eddie's anti-intellectualism to illustrate the Black communities unfortunate tendency to look down on those trying to "make it". Like the boiling lobster that pinches other lobsters in the boiling pot of cream, Eddie is damning himself with these words, funny as they may be.

The similie is "crabs in a barrel".

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I really like Michael Ealy. Even in movies that are crap, I like him. I hope he gets a huge role soon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't Almost Human get him close or am I thinking of another hunky biracial man?

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
Fellow barberhead checking in to signalboost this amazing film. You could say its a cut above the rest.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The similie is "crabs in a barrel".

I don't follow

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't follow

"Lobsters and cream" betrays your lack of commitment to churlish fuckassery. Black people commonly use a simile to describe the phenomenon: crabs in a barrel.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-et8qOXLs
The back and forth camera angle of this scene is world class, I love how it makes us feel like we're sitting in with them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

"Lobsters and cream" betrays your lack of commitment to churlish fuckassery. Black people commonly use a simile to describe the phenomenon: crabs in a barrel.

The phrase is "fish in a barrel", friend.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Not an etymologist, and slightly off topic, but I think the lobster phrase might be related to the African American communities collective love of restaurant chain Red Lobster, and hell, who can blame them?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Didn't Almost Human get him close or am I thinking of another hunky biracial man?

Yeah that's him

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This thread does not seem very good-natured, if you ask me.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

This thread does not seem very good-natured, if you ask me.

Why not? :(

Vargo posted:

Oh gently caress off, you condescending rear end. I don't even particularly care about Friday, but this "you'll agree with me when you grow up" bullshit is the height of :smug:.

EDIT: None of this has anything to do with Barbershop. Or maybe it does?

I don't know. Maybe I would have liked Friday if I saw it as a kid, but when I finally got around to seeing it, it just reminded me of some losers who used to hang around my favorite comic shop. Depressing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

African AIDS cum posted:

Not an etymologist, and slightly off topic, but I think the lobster phrase might be related to the African American communities collective love of restaurant chain Red Lobster, and hell, who can blame them?

I think its got more to do with the fact that FYAD and its "alikes" are whiter than hospital linen.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

You know the answer to this Brony Car!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Can we change the movie of the month thread to this one?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Vincent posted:

Can we change the movie of the month thread to this one?

I was considering it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, I'm confused. Which one is the "Madea"? I was told that all "black" movies have a "Madea" in them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Which one is the "Madea"? I was told that all "black" movies have a "Madea" in them.

This is garbage. Don't be f*cking racist in the Barbershop thread. Do some research then come back and talk troll.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Just the good ones do.

Seriously, Barbershop was when Ice Cube lost the rest of his street cred, whatever that would quantify to be. Hoping the NWA documentary turns out good, but I doubt it will unless Singleton is a part of it. I don't think even Ice Cube understands why he was famous.

Brony Car posted:

I wish. I'm over forty with 2 kids now. Maybe you'll understand my perspective on Friday when you're older and are trying to raise children in a scary world.

Chucklefuckery?

Sorry that poors make you uncomfortable.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 10, 2014

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Paul Mooney: [reviewing "Barbershop"] You know that's just a front. They sell drugs at the barbershops.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
"do you know how hard it is to find 84 inch rims??" - soul plane

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

bushisms.txt posted:

Just the good ones do.

Seriously, Barbershop was when Ice Cube lost the rest of his street cred, whatever that would quantify to be. Hoping the NWA documentary turns out good, but I doubt it will unless Singleton is a part of it. I don't think even Ice Cube understands why he was famous.

Sorry that poors make you uncomfortable.

Ice Cube never had any street cred in the African American community (of which I am a part). His lyrics were demeaning towards women and glorified a type of lifestyle and culture that we never celebrated, but was instead held up by whites as a simulacrum of African American culture. Hell, Barbershop is a part of honest African American culture, and in a very self-aware way. But of course whites have inverted the meaning of Barbershop and twisted it into a parody of the simulacrum they themselves created.

So when you're viewing this film you should be stepping back and looking at it through the lens of an African American filmmaker critiquing both African American society and African American filmmaking, created by an African American fully aware that it would be immediately co-opted and repurposed by whites.

I guess what I am saying is this - I don't really want to have to say that if you're white you shouldn't be talking about Barbershop, but if you're white you should not be talking about Barbershop.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I will talk about it will full acknowledgement that i dont care about any of that

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

zVxTeflon posted:

I will talk about it will full acknowledgement that i dont care about any of that

I would seriously suggest you check your privilege.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I would seriously suggest you check your privilege.

I cant find it its presumably with Ice cubes street cred

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

zVxTeflon posted:

I cant find it its presumably with Ice cubes street cred

Is this a joke? Are you awkwardly trying to say your privledge doesn't exist? I'm sure the new pink polo you bought on your family's last ski vacation doesn't believe that, and you should be smart enough to not believe it either.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

im going to assume your serious because its funnier that way

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

zVxTeflon posted:

im going to assume your serious because its funnier that way

This is exactly what I was getting at with Barbershop. "Oh look at the funny African American, he's not commenting on serious societal issues, he's being hilarious in the exact way I, a white American, want my African Americans to act. Great show, never mind the point I don't realize I am missing."

Come back and talk Barbershop if you have the time and the ability to take a serious look inside yourself and face some tough questions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

you should ask yourself some tough questions like why icecube makes lovely movies

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Ice Cube never had any street cred in the African American community (of which I am a part). His lyrics were demeaning towards women and glorified a type of lifestyle and culture that we never celebrated, but was instead held up by whites as a simulacrum of African American culture. Hell, Barbershop is a part of honest African American culture, and in a very self-aware way. But of course whites have inverted the meaning of Barbershop and twisted it into a parody of the simulacrum they themselves created.

So when you're viewing this film you should be stepping back and looking at it through the lens of an African American filmmaker critiquing both African American society and African American filmmaking, created by an African American fully aware that it would be immediately co-opted and repurposed by whites.

I guess what I am saying is this - I don't really want to have to say that if you're white you shouldn't be talking about Barbershop, but if you're white you should not be talking about Barbershop.

I really don't want to get into social issues in a film discussion, but to say that Cube's lyrics demeaning women had any negative effect on his popularity is the opposite of reality. If you don't think our own people aren't glorifying his lifestyle, to this day, especially after Boys in the Hood, I really question where you were brought up.

Besides that, Barbeshop is beyond cookie cutter, and brings nothing new beyond a safe white look into "african american" culture. Tyler Perry was doing stage play VHS of this same poo poo back in the 90s. I was born in NOLA, currently live in Oakland, and that lifestyle is more prevalent than whatever one you believe in. If you want a critique on culture go look at The Color Purple.

To think that someone has to be black to discuss this lovely movie?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 10, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You guys really need to let those jokes brown on top before you snatch them out of the oven.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Eddie: Shane, look over there! He cut a patch in the li'l boy head; got him lookin' like "101 Dalmatians." You ever heard a' that movie? He look like a Dalmatian! That's one hundred an' two!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I really have no idea what is even happening in this thread, but gently caress it, stickied.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Classic Eddie

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Everyone talks about how "safe" and "white bread" (pardon the pun) Barbershop is, but Eddie is so subversive and he keeps the film from just devolving into reaffirming all the old tropes and cliches. That whole rant about all the sacred cows of the Civil Rights movement is brilliant.

It's a great script. :)

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

bushisms.txt posted:

I really don't want to get into social issues in a film discussion,

What is the point of film discussion but to address social issues like race, gender, economic injustice, etc. Feel free to be another brother with his fingers in his ears and his eyes closed (apologies if you are a female or identify as another gender, just let me know your preferred pronoun as we continue this discussion).

quote:

but to say that Cube's lyrics demeaning women had any negative effect on his popularity is the opposite of reality. If you don't think our own people aren't glorifying his lifestyle, to this day, especially after Boys in the Hood, I really question where you were brought up.

I was brought up not far from where Cube himself grew up, and I was taught to know the difference between proper social commentary and bojangling for white dollars. Cube on his records = fake rear end playing for the white money. Cube in Barbershop, where Tim Story can harness Cube's admittedly decent acting chops and focus him on effective social commentary = real as hell.

quote:

Besides that, Barbeshop is beyond cookie cutter, and brings nothing new beyond a safe white look into "african american" culture. Tyler Perry was doing stage play VHS of this same poo poo back in the 90s. I was born in NOLA, currently live in Oakland, and that lifestyle is more prevalent than whatever one you believe in. If you want a critique on culture go look at The Color Purple. To think that someone has to be black to discuss this lovely movie?

If you wanna talk cookie cutter, just watch as I chop up an oreo. Barbershop isn't safe, Boys in the Hood is safe. Barbershop takes a look at the trash "realistic/gritty" street portrayals that were being pumped out to serve as film "zoos" for middle class white people to observe street culture and says "No, I'm going to show the world how we really struggle and how we really survive. We're a people that knows our situation and knows how humor is the real weapon, not drugs, not violence, not guns." By taking this stand it's just as true to real African American culture as a classic like The Color Purple and light years ahead of the violent film dross that spilled out of the gangster rap era.

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
This movie inspired me to visit my very first urban barbershop in real life, and I was definitely not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

What is the point of film discussion but to address social issues like race, gender, economic injustice, etc. Feel free to be another brother with his fingers in his ears and his eyes closed (apologies if you are a female or identify as another gender, just let me know your preferred pronoun as we continue this discussion).

I was brought up not far from where Cube himself grew up, and I was taught to know the difference between proper social commentary and bojangling for white dollars. Cube on his records = fake rear end playing for the white money. Cube in Barbershop, where Tim Story can harness Cube's admittedly decent acting chops and focus him on effective social commentary = real as hell.

If you wanna talk cookie cutter, just watch as I chop up an oreo. Barbershop isn't safe, Boys in the Hood is safe. Barbershop takes a look at the trash "realistic/gritty" street portrayals that were being pumped out to serve as film "zoos" for middle class white people to observe street culture and says "No, I'm going to show the world how we really struggle and how we really survive. We're a people that knows our situation and knows how humor is the real weapon, not drugs, not violence, not guns." By taking this stand it's just as true to real African American culture as a classic like The Color Purple and light years ahead of the violent film dross that spilled out of the gangster rap era.

This is even better than your hereford fifa fan zone gimmick, poo poo.

• Locked thread