Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
EAU hit it right on the head. Barbershop feels more real to me because it's not just some crazy violent "gangsta" tale. It's about people with real struggles and real world concerns about how they're going to get by and deal with changing times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

tbp posted:

Classic Eddie

This is the only thing I remember about Barbershop, and I wonder if it was ever stolen and misused by racist white people like the infamous Chris Rock routine.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Vargo posted:

This is the only thing I remember about Barbershop, and I wonder if it was ever stolen and misused by racist white people like the infamous Chris Rock routine.

Why do you even have to wonder? There's absolutely nothing that white people (fully divisible into knowing racists and unknowing racists) won't claim and misappropriate. Luckily Barbershop was carefully crafted to withstand and hell, critique this process so it holds up better than something like, say *shudders* New Jack City. Still, it's a struggle.

Really outside of Barbershop the only African American film that hasn't been totally co-opted by the whites is the original Blade, but that's a whole new thread at this point. Let's keep the discussion focused on Barbershop.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Dinka foreshadows the post-racial world we experienced when electing Obama in 2008. Tony Roma, in my opinion doesn't make good ribs, too sugary. I'd prefer a black uncle in those leather sandals (you know the ones) running the bbq any day, but I appreciate the color blind sentiment and tolerance displayed herein:

quote:

Jimmy: Let me tell you somethin'... you will *never* own a Black barbershop!
Isaac: I will if I want to.
Terri: If Tony Roma can make ribs better than Black people, Isaac can own a Black barbershop...
Calvin: Wait a minute..."ribs better than Black people?"
Jimmy: Tony Roma boils his ribs! That is *not* authentic!
Dinka: Tony Roma is delicious! I don't see White or Black... I just see red sauce on everyt'ing!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

African AIDS cum posted:

Dinka foreshadows the post-racial world we experienced when electing Obama in 2008. Tony Roma, in my opinion doesn't make good ribs, too sugary. I'd prefer a black uncle in those leather sandals (you know the ones) running the bbq any day, but I appreciate the color blind sentiment and tolerance displayed herein:

Classic scene. That spoke a lot to me, and how I felt growing up, my feelings toward legitimacy and authenticity versus some platonic ideal of acceptance of the white men around me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Some real zany stuff itt

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Some real zany stuff itt

If you don't want to participate in the Barbershop thread, you don't have to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Barbershop is real good but gently caress you if you don't like Friday. This thread is a rollercoaster of emotions much like the hit film Barbershop.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Barbershop is real good but gently caress you if you don't like Friday. This thread is a rollercoaster of emotions much like the hit film Barbershop.

It's an underrated classic

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

tbp posted:

This thread is properly rated.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Vargo posted:

This thread is properly rated.

How can you tell the rating of a thread without the little gold bars or whatever next to it?

Sorry for being off topic in the Barbershop thread, won't happen again

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

What is the point of film discussion but to address social issues like race, gender, economic injustice, etc. Feel free to be another brother with his fingers in his ears and his eyes closed (apologies if you are a female or identify as another gender, just let me know your preferred pronoun as we continue this discussion).

for future reference i identify as a black woman and this movie identifies as a poo poo sandwich

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

zVxTeflon posted:

for future reference i identify as a black woman and this movie identifies as a poo poo sandwich

If you did identify as such you'd identify the movie as a Phillipe's French dip roast beef sandwich.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
zVx, I never thought I'd say this, but stop making GBS threads up this classy Barbershop thread.

tbp posted:

How can you tell the rating of a thread without the little gold bars or whatever next to it?

Mods can actually see who voted on a thread and what they voted.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

If you did identify as such you'd identify the movie as a Phillipe's French dip roast beef sandwich.

GodDAMMIT.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

What is the point of film discussion but to address social issues like race, gender, economic injustice, etc. Feel free to be another brother with his fingers in his ears and his eyes closed (apologies if you are a female or identify as another gender, just let me know your preferred pronoun as we continue this discussion).

I was brought up not far from where Cube himself grew up, and I was taught to know the difference between proper social commentary and bojangling for white dollars. Cube on his records = fake rear end playing for the white money. Cube in Barbershop, where Tim Story can harness Cube's admittedly decent acting chops and focus him on effective social commentary = real as hell.

If you wanna talk cookie cutter, just watch as I chop up an oreo. Barbershop isn't safe, Boys in the Hood is safe. Barbershop takes a look at the trash "realistic/gritty" street portrayals that were being pumped out to serve as film "zoos" for middle class white people to observe street culture and says "No, I'm going to show the world how we really struggle and how we really survive. We're a people that knows our situation and knows how humor is the real weapon, not drugs, not violence, not guns." By taking this stand it's just as true to real African American culture as a classic like The Color Purple and light years ahead of the violent film dross that spilled out of the gangster rap era.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Why do you even have to wonder? There's absolutely nothing that white people (fully divisible into knowing racists and unknowing racists) won't claim and misappropriate. Luckily Barbershop was carefully crafted to withstand and hell, critique this process so it holds up better than something like, say *shudders* New Jack City. Still, it's a struggle.

Really outside of Barbershop the only African American film that hasn't been totally co-opted by the whites is the original Blade, but that's a whole new thread at this point. Let's keep the discussion focused on Barbershop.

Barbershop is like an exec wanted an extended movie about Coming to America's barbershop scenes, but by the time they'd watered down the jokes enough, only Cube would sign. And I'm not saying Cube has actual cred, but like Rick Ross, he still had cred.

And just because you were raised to understand these things, you must realize that we are an enlightened few? That the majority of our people are living like trained animals in this system. Barnershop is too safe in my opinion, as something like Django actually got a negative response from my old south family(They hated Sam's character), but no one has ever once mentioned Barbershop. And why should they, when Barbershop is a dime a dozen, and everyone was baffled when the second and then Beauty Shop came out? But if anything, that told you it was co-opted by white people, because who shows up for some tokenisms? Kevin Bacon!

I'd like to think even Tarrantino kind of gets it, despite Spike's anger, with the musical choice of Rick Ross garbage in Django as a critique of the music industry, hiphop in particular. And Sam's final words using his "real" voice was particularly great.

But there are a ton of movies white people haven't co-opted or even know about, and to hand wring about this milquetoast, when there are plenty of other films that deserve your reverence. Just a few: I'm gonna get you, sucka, Meteor Man, Blank Man, Hollywood Shuffle, Panther, Dead Presidents, Set it Off. Hell, if it wasn't for Aries Spears, how many people would know who Dolemite is? I kind of wish someone would try to pull off the "I want the knife" scene from The Golden Child.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 11, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nobody was "baffled" when Barbershop 2: Back in Business came out.

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out
Well actually my boss was baffled, because I skipped work to go see it. But then I told him why and he said, hell, I would have done the same! :-D

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I got on the wrong train and ended up in Harlem yesterday.. Got out and at first was frightened due to my surroundings, but then I saw a place named Barbershop and I was calmed knowing that if I wanted to I could go in and shoot the poo poo about any topic, ranging from politics to whips (read: cars).

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

tbp posted:

Barbershop

tbp posted:

*Barbershop

tbp posted:

Please don't discuss other films in the Barbershop thread. I will be forced to use my mod powers if you do so continuously.

tbp posted:

Fully canon sequel

tbp posted:

Classic line :

Lester: [greeting each other] Eddie.
Eddie: Nigga.

tbp posted:

It is understood to be less of a film than Barbershop and Barbershop 2: Back in Business, however it has its charm.

tbp posted:

That's a great scene. Eddie really gets me

tbp posted:

Please only talk about Friday when comparing it to Barbershop in this thread. That is all I am asking not to be mean *glances meaningfully at the soccer ball next to my name*

tbp posted:

As well, I've never seen Friday, and hell, I don't plan to - wanna know why? because I've seen Barbershop.

More quotes, this time from Barbershop 2: Back in Business:

Eddie: [taking food orders from people in the shop] Okay... so that's three orders of "hell naw", two orders of "ask ya mama", and one order of "negro please".

Haha, Eddie pwns at life.

tbp posted:

Can I get some empty quotes for everyones favorite couple up in here

tbp posted:

The phrase is "fish in a barrel", friend.

tbp posted:

This is garbage. Don't be f*cking racist in the Barbershop thread. Do some research then come back and talk troll.

tbp posted:

Eddie: Shane, look over there! He cut a patch in the li'l boy head; got him lookin' like "101 Dalmatians." You ever heard a' that movie? He look like a Dalmatian! That's one hundred an' two!

tbp posted:

Classic Eddie

tbp posted:

Classic scene. That spoke a lot to me, and how I felt growing up, my feelings toward legitimacy and authenticity versus some platonic ideal of acceptance of the white men around me.

tbp posted:

If you don't want to participate in the Barbershop thread, you don't have to.

tbp posted:

tbp posted:

tbp posted:

Nobody was "baffled" when Barbershop 2: Back in Business came out.

tbp posted:

I got on the wrong train and ended up in Harlem yesterday.. Got out and at first was frightened due to my surroundings, but then I saw a place named Barbershop and I was calmed knowing that if I wanted to I could go in and shoot the poo poo about any topic, ranging from politics to whips (read: cars).

Gahahaha... Lol!!!! Ohhh poo poo... *wipes tears from eyes*... lmoa

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
human being

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I like that the writer was keen to show that prejudice existed not just between broad ethnic groups, but also within them. While Matthew was the frequent butt of jokes from the West Indian characters, particularly Porkpie and Desmond, he was always keen to point out the strength of African history with his regular interjection "There's an old African saying".

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

DNS posted:

human being

That's really unnecessary, buddy. Just because you're a e/n superstar doesn't mean you can go into other forums and use that kind of disgusting language willy-nilly. I hope the mods deal with you swiftly.

e: They did, I'm glad. Great job from our moderating staff, this should be a safespace like the original barbershop was for the neighborhood cats.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 13, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Hahah

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Didn't Almost Human get him close or am I thinking of another hunky biracial man?

No, he was the guy in Almost Human. He seems to be one of those regulars that shows up in every movie geared toward black audiences, the latest of which being Think Like A Man Too.

bushisms.txt posted:

Seriously, Barbershop was when Ice Cube lost the rest of his street cred, whatever that would quantify to be. Hoping the NWA documentary turns out good, but I doubt it will unless Singleton is a part of it. I don't think even Ice Cube understands why he was famous.

Internet image macros lead me to believe that "Are We There Yet" was the point where he lost his cred.

From there it was downhill to his current state of "being regularly punked by a beer can in commercials."

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 14, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Both are staged photos. It was all downhill after the first Westside Connection album. Everything since is just residual disappointment, the 30 for 30 he directed isn't very good. I'm not mad at him for leaving the boy band behind, though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think you're oversimplifying things. Your disdain for this modern classic stems from the result of confirmation bias, or rather conformation bias to use a not unskilful portmanteau phrase I just invented.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Funny because this is pretty much what the process from adolescence to adulthood for blacks was. Grow up in a world of poo poo til you realize you have a choice to step out of it. Some never get to the second part.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

bushisms.txt posted:

Funny because this is pretty much what the process from adolescence to adulthood for blacks was. Grow up in a world of poo poo til you realize you have a choice to step out of it. Some never get to the second part.

Which is what Barbershop is ultimately about too!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm not mad at him, why the gently caress would you stay in that position once you're rich enough that you don't have to deal with it anymore?
Gosh, I don't have enough street cred for you anymore? Let me cry into this stack of $100 bills about it.

I probably still wouldn't do commercials where I get punked by a beer can, though.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Huh... since I guess this thread is a thing that is happening, I guess I'd better weigh in as somebody who's seen Barbershop.

I... honestly thought it was pretty funny, but I forgot about it soon after. Seeing this thread was the first time I've thought about this movie in years, and I distinctly remember not hating it. Thats a little bit of a milquetoast thing to say, I know, so to provide content, I will share a review of the movie from Big Media Vandalism, which also serves as a handy recap if you forgot about the specifics, as I did: http://bigmediavandal.blogspot.com/2011/03/martin-luther-king-was-ho.html

Hmm... this all reminds me I haven't actually seen Friday or Coming to America yet. Guess I should get on that, huh?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

resurgam40 posted:

Hmm... this all reminds me I haven't actually seen Friday or Coming to America yet. Guess I should get on that, huh?

You really, really should.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's awesome that in this forum, no matter the movie, someone always has another take on it and a reason to check it out.

quote:

Dead Presidents
Dead Presidents is awesome and why the Hughes Brothers get an eternal pass from me.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Barbershop is funny. Friday is funny. Ice Cube was a studio gangster. Barbershop 2 released too soon after the first one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

James Woods Fan posted:

Barbershop is funny. Friday is funny. Ice Cube was a studio gangster. Barbershop 2 released too soon after the first one.

True facts, right here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

James Woods Fan posted:

No kidding.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Maybe y'all should invite that crazy person who authored the transformer threads to post his thoughts on Barbershop. Maybe he will have another nervous breakdown

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Terry Van Feleday is a lovely young lady.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Maybe y'all should invite that crazy person who authored the transformer threads to post his thoughts on Barbershop. Maybe he will have another nervous breakdown

Oh, did those threads get interesting at some point?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

raditts posted:

Oh, did those threads get interesting at some point?

Absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So I agree with Hundu that it's crabs and not lobsters, but I always thought they were in a bucket. On a scale of 1 to 10, how white is it of me to think of those crabs as being in a bucket and not a barrel?

• Locked thread