Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

HEY VAPER posted:

I don't get why poors always drive old tan camrys, accords, buicks, etc when you can buy an e30 e28 e34 or 240sx or something like that for the same price, cost of maintanence, and similar fuel economy. Oh wait, point A to B mentality.

240sx's have a huge ricer tax around here, even absolutely thrashed cars go for 2500+

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HEY VAPER posted:

I don't get why poors always drive old tan camrys, accords, buicks, etc when you can buy an e30 e28 e34 or 240sx or something like that for the same price, cost of maintanence, and similar fuel economy. You can buy one of the nicest looking sedans ever made for the same price of a 90s camry. Oh wait, point A to B mentality.

I'm sure your average low-income car purchaser really is hip to all those BMW platform numbers. Also, e30 parts are still more expensive than old camry parts, no?

edit: I love E30s, though.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

HEY VAPER posted:

I don't get why poors always drive old tan camrys, accords, buicks, etc when you can buy an e30 e28 e34 or 240sx or something like that for the same price, cost of maintanence, and similar fuel economy. You can buy one of the nicest looking sedans ever made for the same price of a 90s camry with hail damage. Oh wait, point A to B mentality.

Same cost of maintenance????

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Corey Plumper posted:

240sx's have a huge ricer tax around here, even absolutely thrashed cars go for 2500+

at least where i live, thrashed 90s tanrys and accords are also 2500+

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

fyodor posted:

I'm sure your average low-income car purchaser really is hip to all those BMW platform numbers. Also, e30 parts are still more expensive than old camry parts, no?

edit: I love E30s, though.

Parts are more expensive, but break less often. There isn't a whole lot to go wrong on an e30. I daily drive an e30 with over a quarter of a million miles on it, and it is the cheapest car to maintain I have ever owned, out of a whole sea of 90s shitmobiles.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Arian_Samurai posted:

Same cost of maintenance????

Every accord/camry driver I know spends at least double what I have to on parts. The reputation those cars have for being reliable and cheap is outdated by abt 15 years.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

E30 prices are skyrocketing, though, because people have figured out they are super cool. Almost like Porsche 911 hysteria currently going on.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
The socioeconomically disadvantaged often feel a lack of intrinsic self-worth that those with higher SES take for granted. In a myriad of ways, those in the middle classes are often meant to believe that the world is created for their comfort and benefit, and they internalize this attitude. The socially marginalized, on the other hand, are often excluded, and they begin to internalize this lack of self-worth, and even to take a sort of masochistic pride in their feeling. The phenomenology of this attitude is fascinating, and convoluted, but it doesn't concern us here. Suffice to say, it exists.

Lacking an internal sense of validity, these people emphasize, and even fetishize, things that have an external, utilitarian and thus "objective" value. Automobiles, being a perfect example of a tool with the ability to manipulate its environment, has an external value that is safe from the internalized nihilistic feelings of the sub-bourgeois.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As mass production for cars become possible, industrialists actively undermined other forms of transportation within cities, such as street trollies. The inefficiencies of individual automobiles are justified by the commerce these flaws produce. Everyone wants to fit in and meet the social metrics of success.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

fyodor posted:

E30 prices are skyrocketing, though, because people have figured out they are super cool. Almost like Porsche 911 hysteria currently going on.

True, but 5 series prices aren't and your average person would rather have a sedan anyways. e28 and e34's are a goddamn steal right now, and very reliable cars outside of electrical bullshit on the e34's. The only old 5 series that command any sort of premium are the v8's.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cuz I fix my own SS Supersport you loving elitist pigs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like to get myself all lubed up with oil and just go hang out in garages. Maybe crank on a few engines and stuff with my hot friends.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

glowing-fish posted:

The socioeconomically disadvantaged often feel a lack of intrinsic self-worth that those with higher SES take for granted. In a myriad of ways, those in the middle classes are often meant to believe that the world is created for their comfort and benefit, and they internalize this attitude. The socially marginalized, on the other hand, are often excluded, and they begin to internalize this lack of self-worth, and even to take a sort of masochistic pride in their feeling. The phenomenology of this attitude is fascinating, and convoluted, but it doesn't concern us here. Suffice to say, it exists.

Lacking an internal sense of validity, these people emphasize, and even fetishize, things that have an external, utilitarian and thus "objective" value. Automobiles, being a perfect example of a tool with the ability to manipulate its environment, has an external value that is safe from the internalized nihilistic feelings of the sub-bourgeois.

i concur

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HEY VAPER posted:

True, but 5 series prices aren't and your average person would rather have a sedan anyways. e28 and e34's are a goddamn steal right now, and very reliable cars outside of electrical bullshit on the e34's. The only old 5 series that command any sort of premium are the v8's.

They will make you wish you'd had manual windows and seats.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_i4YmKk

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

HEY VAPER posted:

You ain't getting no pussy in some clapped out 1993 bmw.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Because it gives them a goal

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

fyodor posted:

They will make you wish you'd had manual windows and seats.

yeah but

vs

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

dundun posted:

You ain't getting no pussy in some clapped out 1993 bmw.

I don't think its clapped out (picture is a few years old & prominently features the only exterior damage)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 8, 2014

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

ban the op like they asked

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

there are plenty of rich people obsessed with cars. you just don't notice them because they fix up nice cars.

but yea gently caress people who spend $2k to get lovely rims for their old rear end accord along with a fart can.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

loving saab stories. Jay leno is slumming it when he owns a fleet of cars.

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone
posting in a banme thread

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

HEY VAPER posted:

I don't get why poors always drive old tan camrys, accords, buicks, etc when you can buy an e30 e28 e34 or 240sx or something like that for the same price, cost of maintanence, and similar fuel economy. You can buy one of the nicest looking sedans ever made for the same price of a 90s camry with hail damage. Oh wait, point A to B mentality.

Are you being serious

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

because for some people it's a hobby/fun toy that gives them actual entertainment and pride beyond going from point a to b?

I don't think it's healthy to be so materialistic.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

plain blue jacket posted:

Are you being serious

I'm not sure where you live, but just about any car with a reputation as a "reliable commuter car" that isn't totally clapped is at least 3 or 4 thousand dollars in most major cities where those cars are popular. Gone are the days of good 1500 dollar toyotas and hondas. And with all the deferred maintenance many perceived "poverty" cars have, and their age, you're lucky to get anything close to the sticker mpg anyway. If you live somewhere where these cars aren't in high demand, good for you, but for the most part these cars are very overhyped and everyone selling one thinks their turd on wheels is gold.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 8, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BlueChocolate posted:

It's basically a money pit that takes you from point A to point B, yet poors are always so proud of their lovely piece of metal that takes more money to feed than their entire family. Cars are not an asset.

Where do you live that a car isn't an absolute requirement for everyone? Poor people don't live in the city (or if they do they are called homeless), so a car is needed whether you have the money for one or not.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

nice

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

sorry meant to say "cars are nice"

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im poor

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

HEY VAPER posted:

Every accord/camry driver I know spends at least double what I have to on parts. The reputation those cars have for being reliable and cheap is outdated by abt 15 years.

Do you live next door to a BMW parts factory?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

katlington posted:

saab stories

Also cars are cool man. Most people take the explosion-powered thing that allows you pretty fast personal conveyance wherever you want to go for granted.

But you also should maybe not put unpainted body kits and big ol' spoilers on your like sub 1000 $ car. Never makes it look better than it did dude.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
its the one thing in their lovely life they can change

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Arian_Samurai posted:

Do you live next door to a BMW parts factory?

No but I do live 20 miles from a junkyard

It's more like, for every part that breaks on my car that I spend a slight premium on, 5 parts would have broken on the equivalent honda or whatever. Its like how poors live on mcdonalds because they perceive home cooked meals to cost more, even though its the other way around.

I actually can't remember the last time I had to fix something that wasn't a wear component. I actually spend so little on parts for my car, that I get bored and buy things like new interiors etc

Go to a honda meet and ask people how. much poo poo has broken on their car in the past year. then go to an e30 meet and ask people the same thing.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 8, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

German cars are super reliable as long as you do all your maintenance via BMW dealerships, please no other alternatives. Some limitations apply.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My next car will probably be a dodge dart

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain

glowing-fish posted:

Posted from my camry

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
The Chevrolet sonic looks pretty cute as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Corey Plumper posted:

I like to drift OP

• Locked thread