Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Machinegunboyo posted:

Germany also have 3 stars but they haven't won any.

Except for 3 of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

um he's austrian??????

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

elwood posted:

Except for 3 of course.

Just checked and they haven't won any?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Germany looking at Brazil after beating Portugal 4-0*

This isn't even my final form.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Machinegunboyo posted:

Just checked and they haven't won any?

Yes, you are right, except for those 3 they won of course.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

elwood posted:

Yes, you are right, except for those 3 they won of course.

Are you confusing Germany with West Germany? Easy mistake to make.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Machinegunboyo posted:

Nah I'm not confusing them because they are the same, easy mistake to make on your part though, so yeah...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Machinegunboyo posted:

Fly away troll

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

elwood posted:

Nah I'm not confusing them because they are the same, easy mistake to make on your part though, so yeah...

Glad to have helped, OP.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Machinegunboyo posted:

Glad to have helped, OP.

this makes it look like those cities were DDR

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I like this trolling, so:

Identität heißt, dass "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" nur ein anderer Name für ein staatliches Gebilde ist, das vorher Deutsches Reich geheißen hat und das in der Zeit vor dem Deutschen Reich Norddeutscher Bund genannt wurde. Die Identitätsthese postuliert mithin eine seit der Gründung des Norddeutschen Bundes im Jahr 1866 in Deutschland ungebrochene staatsrechtliche Kontinuität.

Glad to have helped.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Brony Car posted:

I'm not sure if this is the case for Brazil, but I've found that the fans who care most about their national teams are the ones who know the least about the actual sport. They don't follow the matches on a regular basis or know the players outside of friendlies and international competitions, so they just blame whoever seems to be bad as opposed to really taking stock of why their sides fail.

In Brazil, calling someone a "torcedor de selecao" (national team supporter) is generally thrown around as an insult, a way of calling someone a casual fan. Pretty much everyone I know in Brazil who cares a lot about soccer cares a lot more about club competitions than national team ones. I mentioned it in one of the other threads, but when I went to the match against Chile they had to actually distribute cheat sheets with traditional stadium songs in Brazil so that people would know what to sing.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

elwood posted:

Identität heißt, dass "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" nur ein anderer Name für ein staatliches Gebilde ist, das vorher Deutsches Reich geheißen hat und das in der Zeit vor dem Deutschen Reich Norddeutscher Bund genannt wurde. Die Identitätsthese postuliert mithin eine seit der Gründung des Norddeutschen Bundes im Jahr 1866 in Deutschland ungebrochene staatsrechtliche Kontinuität.

Glad to have helped.

Hmmm that's my kind of poo poo right there.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

elwood posted:

Glad to have helped.

Glad you agree OP :).

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

joepinetree posted:

In Brazil, calling someone a "torcedor de selecao" (national team supporter) is generally thrown around as an insult, a way of calling someone a casual fan. Pretty much everyone I know in Brazil who cares a lot about soccer cares a lot more about club competitions than national team ones. I mentioned it in one of the other threads, but when I went to the match against Chile they had to actually distribute cheat sheets with traditional stadium songs in Brazil so that people would know what to sing.

We call those people 'event fans' in Germany.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

elwood posted:

Except for 3 of course.

Germany have not won the World Cup

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

germany is so good half their country won the world cup

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

ephex posted:

we call them women in greece

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hitler murdered over six million people.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ephex posted:

Schlandmädchen

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

tbp posted:

Germany have not won the World Cup

Wtf is this poo poo

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Pissflaps posted:

Personally? Guess he had some awesome advanced killing stats.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

England is a country that is lead and entertained by nonces.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

bronin posted:

Wtf is this poo poo

Just people trolling with technicalities, just ignore them (tbp especially).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ephex posted:

England is a country that is lead and entertained by nonces.

When did they make your dad chief clown of England?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

way more than that

england may have invented genocide and concentration camps, but hitler perfected them

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That was actually the Chinese

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bronin posted:

Wtf is this poo poo

Germany have not won the World Cup. West Germany did.

If South Sudan won a World Cup, you wouldn't say Sudan did. They're not the same country.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

tbp posted:

If South Sudan won a World Cup, you wouldn't say Sudan did. They're not the same country.

This was the point I was trying to make, but I think you said it more clearly and succinctly. Can't really disagree with any of what you said.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

tbp posted:

If South America won the World Cup, we'd say America won it. am i rite

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

tbp posted:

Look at this nerd

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

tbp posted:

The Federal Republic of Germany won three World Cups.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tbp posted:

This is incorrect.

What we call 'West Germany' is in fact the 'federal republic of Germany' and has been so called since 1949. The merger with east Germany was in fact west Germany absorbing the east, rather than two states being destroyed to create a new one.

In this way, Germany gets to bask in the glory of its previous World Cup triumphs, as well as suffering the shame of it's many wartime atrocities.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004
Pedantic bullshit up in here. Post more Brazilian tears

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Yes, let's take a moment to remember all the atrocities committed by the Federal Republic of Germany.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

General Probe posted:

Yes, let's take a moment to remember all the atrocities committed by the Federal Republic of Germany.

They murdered countless Jews.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

This is incorrect.

What we call 'West Germany' is in fact the 'federal republic of Germany' and has been so called since 1949. The merger with east Germany was in fact west Germany absorbing the east, rather than two states being destroyed to create a new one.

In this way, Germany gets to bask in the glory of its previous World Cup triumphs, as well as suffering the shame of it's many wartime atrocities.

If East Germany had won the World Cup, would they get to claim that as well?

As a successor state to the Holy Roman Empire, which included players from what is now known as Italy, aren't they at seven World Cups?

None of this adds up to me. It is shady, and illegal in my mind. 0 World Cups, though they have a chance on Sunday.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol they're never going to live that whole world war II thing down

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pissflaps posted:

They murdered countless Jews.

This is true, we did murder countless Jews and win three world cups.

Now shut up about it. You should better compare this fine match with today's Argentina-Holland match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

This is true, we did murder countless Jews and win three world cups.

Now shut up about it. You should better compare this fine match with today's Argentina-Holland match.

I am still disputing the three World Cups.

• Locked thread