Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You might want to fix that typo, though.
Oh, new page: It's "ancestral" on your imagelinkthingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I realised mid-video that I haven't mentioned something: I never knew you could subdue the dogs. I spent the entire game making sure I avoided that circle completely (or near enough), because I thought they'd call out an alarm as soon as you tried to do anything to them. Trickier, but fun, since I was going for pacifism anyway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I found the upgraded smoke bombs to be really useful, actually. Being able to disable guards at-will is quite handy (moreso starting in a couple of missions...), and every once in awhile you just can't be arsed to deal with lasers.

They are incredibly useful, but I'm not buying many upgrades since I don't need them at the moment, I'll buy them all eventually, you get plenty of honour to spend.

anilEhilated posted:

You might want to fix that typo, though.
Oh, new page: It's "ancestral" on your imagelinkthingy.

Man, I even checked to make sure I'd spelt it right, took me a few seconds to even notice the second 'n'.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Feels like we're kind of early in the game for a last mission unless this is a freakin' huge castle.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Glazius posted:

Feels like we're kind of early in the game for a last mission unless this is a freakin' huge castle.

Yes. :)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Four levels of huge freaking castle. This game isn't huge, we're nearing halfway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Joined by a new guy as we choke on gas. The guards really need to stop getting high down here.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 4, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hisomu Terror Dart = best weapon. Terrorizing guards is grand fun.

Honestly I never found the Scarabs to be all that great though; they're so noisy at killing, and for their secondary purpose I never really had trouble hiding bodies :shrug:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly I never found the Scarabs to be all that great though; they're so noisy at killing, and for their secondary purpose I never really had trouble hiding bodies :shrug:

Scarabs can also be used to terrorize guards, though! Because seeing a guy getting eaten alive by bugs will freak you out.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I didn't see this addressed anywhere, but is there a reason the videos are interlaced? I'm only up to video 3 so if it gets cleared up later on then I guess ignore this!

example:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That is what happens when you pause as the camera pans, but otherwise it looks fine to me, but I know nothing of video terminology, so I hope nothing's wrong!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I like how you're complaining about not being able to just murder all the guards and a ninja game forcing you to act stealthily like a ninja even though the game has already aptly demonstrated that in a straight up fight you get shot dead.

What if they just have an open area with a bunch of grated lights you can't break and guys with machine guns? What then huh Crosspeice? Without somewhere to hide mister ninja gets dead.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's possible to do no-kill runs in this game! For those who like the extra challenge.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Speedball posted:

It's possible to do no-kill runs in this game! For those who like the extra challenge.

My first run through the game was a kill everyone run. My second run was no kills though! In New Game Plus! :getin:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

senae posted:

My first run through the game was a kill everyone run. My second run was no kills though! In New Game Plus! :getin:

That was probably easier anyway because you have the unlocked goodies. A fresh-start no-kills run, I don't think that's very feasible.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Crosspeice posted:

That is what happens when you pause as the camera pans, but otherwise it looks fine to me, but I know nothing of video terminology, so I hope nothing's wrong!

Interlacing is where only half of the screen (every other line) is refreshed per frame. It causes ghosting during fast motion and general muddiness on anything that isn't perfectly static. As a counterexample, this video features several pans of various speeds but pausing at any point during them nets you a clear picture with no ghosting.

That said I've never played MotN so maybe that's what it looks like in the actual game, but try popping by the Tech Support Fort to see what it has to say and ensure you've got your settings right.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It might be the game, it might be my export settings. I'm of the "eh, good enough" type, so I'm happy with how my videos look at the moment.

Neruz posted:

I like how you're complaining about not being able to just murder all the guards and a ninja game forcing you to act stealthily like a ninja even though the game has already aptly demonstrated that in a straight up fight you get shot dead.

What if they just have an open area with a bunch of grated lights you can't break and guys with machine guns? What then huh Crosspeice? Without somewhere to hide mister ninja gets dead.

That why I'm upset since in those situations, it'd be easy to be caught and then, in turn, killed.

(And I think there is a way to stop spotlights for a bit, but that's not for a while)

I definitely am doing pacifism, where no one dies!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Speedball posted:

That was probably easier anyway because you have the unlocked goodies. A fresh-start no-kills run, I don't think that's very feasible.

The only place I'd say it's 'infeasible' to do a pacifist run is a single spot right in the last level, so there's really no problem doing it in New Game. That's the only place I had to resort to violence (although it was more because I was feeling too lazy in the heat of the moment to find a stealthy way), although because there's no 'good spot' in this Final Room we've just seen you're likely to get yellow-spotted as you move from one temporary hiding place to another.

The game is very good about giving you ways to cope with newly enhanced enemies before too long, as long as you don't mind it being a bit slower. It helps that it's so darn rewarding to know you've snuck through this entire sprawling complex with barely a trace, so they honestly don't know you're coming at the end. By contrast, everyone knows roughly where Crosspeice's ninja is in this run, they just can't stop him.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Pacifism run is completely feasible from a fresh start, that's what I did; and while it feels rewarding to get through without leaving any trace, as I said earlier, it makes playing the game that way feel pointless when the enemies are still aware that you've progressed and are coming for them. It's the inevitable trap of trying to give a player some amount of agency while still telling a completely linear story, and it's one of the reasons I didn't really care about the story or characters by the end.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I managed to retry and retry until I got no alarms in the cargo door room.

:shepface:

In reality it wasn't -too- bad, I eventually figured out you have to kill off all the guards as soon as possible, so that they don't see the dog bodies and go crazy. If I recall, they do keep spawning in but with liberal application of spike mines you can usually avoid an alarm proper if you're sneaky.

And heavy with the reloads.

:shepicide:

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 30, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

No-kill runs are hard, but that's always my first attempt in any stealth game.

I don't think I actually achieved that when I played this.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

No-kill runs are hard, but that's always my first attempt in any stealth game.

I don't think I actually achieved that when I played this.

I've done it but it wasn't very fun. It takes a specific armor set and there are some very infuriating areas where you really are expected to kill an enemy.

It didn't help that I usually translate "no-kill" as "ghosting" a level. Adding to the frustration

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

double nine posted:

It didn't help that I usually translate "no-kill" as "ghosting" a level. Adding to the frustration

I will say that I am going to use items for my pacifism run, as well as breaking lights and whatnot. I would love to ghost the whole thing and if there's any seals I could "get", then I'll try for them, but there are some really bad parts of the game where it's reeeeeal tempting to kill someone. Thankfully, Path of the Silence removes that temptation, which is what I'll use.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nearly at Karajan, man this is a short game.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 4, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Please have a Path of Nightmares level. There are not nearly enough terrorized guards here. :colbert: Though I will admit, using an Elite Guard to kill the pilot was pretty slick.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ah, this game. If there was a game I wanted a prequel/sequel to, it would be this. It's so wonderful, but it's far too short.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You still haven't done a hanging kill and freaked out a guard. I'm worried.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 2, 2014

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012
I'd like to see how other people do high-terror as well. I tend to be overly dependent on chucking corpses around, though the terror dart and an attack item we haven't seen yet are convenient for breaking up groups.
I do have one bone to pick with Crosspiece regarding the alleged uselessness of the remaining upgrades: I love the Smoke Bomb upgrade simply because the gas effect it adds stuns elite guards.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neodymium posted:

I'd like to see how other people do high-terror as well. I tend to be overly dependent on chucking corpses around, though the terror dart and an attack item we haven't seen yet are convenient for breaking up groups.

Path of Nightmares, baby. That plus the terror darts. Dart a guard, he shoots his buddy on patrol, stealth-kill the panicked guard, then throw their corpses at everyone else. There are other ways to terrorize guards, but they tend to be really situational. How often are you going to have a hang point that's along a guard's walking path anyway?

EDIT: it occurs to me you could also use normal darts to lure other guards into the panicked guard's firing lines. That would be amusing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Neodymium posted:

I do have one bone to pick with Crosspiece regarding the alleged uselessness of the remaining upgrades: I love the Smoke Bomb upgrade simply because the gas effect it adds stuns elite guards.

It's not that they're useless, it's just that I don't need them at the moment. I pick it up in a couple videos and will be what I use in the pacifism run. And the game never expects you to have to kill an Elite Guard without some help, so I tend to leave them alone and use my items elsewhere (as in never, but I'll hoard it, juuuuuust in case, I'm bad, I know)

My first ninja video has reached 500 views in only 3 weeks. You guys. :allears:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 3, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's gratifying seeing your ultimate target start panicking. I wonder what he's got in his panic room.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's find out!

Thanks for a great lp everyone, it was a lot of fun, shame about having to kill ourselves, but we did so with honour!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 4, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The music for the Karajan stage is just fantastic.

Really, the whole encounter with him is pretty great. It's an unconventional boss fight, but it's really memorable just for all of the things you have to do to get to him.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
I do appreciate that they don't try and force a boss fight here and that it is just a worse trained dude than the ones you've been killinhg for hours freaking the gently caress out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Still no hanging kills. You probably could have down one on the first pickpocket guy, and then threw a dagger at one his guards to freak him out and he'd shoot the other. Probably.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Level 7 reminded me of this be a safe ninja video by Tom Scott.

I am glad that this is going so well. I might actually get to see the end of the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The game's not over?!?!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I'm probably missing something - but why exactly do we need to stop Azai? Seems to me all he did was tech upgrade for the ninja clan.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, so I'm probably missing something - but why exactly do we need to stop Azai? Seems to me all he did was tech upgrade for the ninja clan.

A) he lied to the Marked Ninja (our protagonist) about the purpose of the job, and B) he's Turning His Back on Centuries of Tradition.

I'm not saying these are necessarily good reasons for going on a murderous rampage, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That and the Marked Ninja was about to kill himself to preserve his honor but doesn't know the full story of what's going on.

• Locked thread