Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

His name is obviously Mark Ninjaman, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The developers call him Ninja, but Mark sounds about right.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
We're killing Azai because he used the Ninja to get tech; the Ninja is having second thoughts about whether Azai actually told him the truth about anything and the fact that Azai keeps sending Splinter Cell ninjas after you isn't really helping at all.

Basically the Ninja discovered that Azai had been hiding things from him and thus decided not to end his life until he's sure what Azai is actually doing.

Personally I suspect Azai was behind the whole drat thing and this has been one long xanatos gambit for him to upgrade his ninja force.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the part where he effectively killed/banished you from the clan by giving you the tattoos is the turning point here. You were willing to die for a worthy cause, but being expected to die for improved ninja tech is an iffy proposition.

There's been a lot of chatter and scrolls and stuff about how horrible the tattoos are.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm interested to see whether the tattoos really do have some kind of massive negative side-effect after awhile or if it's going to turn out to be another story.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Neruz posted:

I'm interested to see whether the tattoos really do have some kind of massive negative side-effect after awhile or if it's going to turn out to be another story.

I think that this was discussed in the scrolls already, but I'm not 100% sure.

The tattoos cause whoever receives them to start going mad. The clan almost ripped itself apart after a succession of masters tattooed themselves, so now they only tattoo students and force them to kill themselves after a short time

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

senae posted:

The tattoos cause whoever receives them to start going mad. The clan almost ripped itself apart after a succession of masters tattooed themselves, so now they only tattoo students and force them to kill themselves after a short time

I'm pretty sure Azai outright says this before the second stage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm... actually kind of behind Azai's plan here. "Alright, I hosed up. The ancient secret of our clan is no more. So now we're going to become the body-armor-and-nightvision ninjas. Bonus: body armor hardly ever drives you mad with power!"

Gymer
May 30, 2012

Glazius posted:

I'm... actually kind of behind Azai's plan here. "Alright, I hosed up. The ancient secret of our clan is no more. So now we're going to become the body-armor-and-nightvision ninjas. Bonus: body armor hardly ever drives you mad with power!"

Wait what exactly killed the flowers? I don't remember the exact cause being stated yet, just that Azai already knew and kept it to himself.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Gymer posted:

Wait what exactly killed the flowers? I don't remember the exact cause being stated yet, just that Azai already knew and kept it to himself.

He forgot to water them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How did Azai forget to take care of the flowers, anyway? I mean, they're pretty important. How do you just forget to cultivate the main source of your clan's success?

And how did none of the other ninja notice the fact that he never seemed to be gone for an extended amount of time? This desert seems to be far away from the ninja lair.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How did Azai forget to take care of the flowers, anyway? I mean, they're pretty important. How do you just forget to cultivate the main source of your clan's success?

And how did none of the other ninja notice the fact that he never seemed to be gone for an extended amount of time? This desert seems to be far away from the ninja lair.

The area became a war zone and was taken over by the guys whom the ninja was killing last level. Presumably they cleared out whoever was locally in charge of maintaining the plants, and by the time Azai showed up personally, he was too late.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vanilla Bison posted:

The area became a war zone and was taken over by the guys whom the ninja was killing last level. Presumably they cleared out whoever was locally in charge of maintaining the plants, and by the time Azai showed up personally, he was too late.

More or less this is how I understand it. The plants only grew here for whatever reason, and this place is a shithole full of bandits now, so the source of the clan's magic tattoos is literally drying up. So the master needed to find a technological compensation because up until now they've been getting by on tradition and lethal performance enhancers.

I do wonder why the rest of the clan seems to be entirely women, though.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Speedball posted:

More or less this is how I understand it. The plants only grew here for whatever reason, and this place is a shithole full of bandits now, so the source of the clan's magic tattoos is literally drying up. So the master needed to find a technological compensation because up until now they've been getting by on tradition and lethal performance enhancers.

I do wonder why the rest of the clan seems to be entirely women, though.

The mooks you rescue in the first level are all men though!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Azai only got the female splinter cell outfits because all the male outfits were in use by the guards that the Ninja stabbed the poo poo out of.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just the iNinja armor making everyone look goddamn sexy.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Just a few more levels then I can tell you guys everything in lots of words. In the meantime, Stalkers. :downs:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 4, 2015

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Crosspeice posted:

Just a few more levels then I can tell you guys everything in lots of words. In the meantime, Stalkers. :downs:

I think this may have been my favourite video we've done just because I laugh way too hard at cyber ninjas stumbling into traps.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Teleportation in stealth games is hilarious. One of the reasons why I love Dishonored so much. Here, just leading the iNinjas in circles and making them blow up is incredibly cathartic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

In the meantime, Stalkers. :downs:

These are simultaneously the best enemies and the worst enemies.

The best if you can kill them without being seen, and the worst if they happen to see you.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

These are simultaneously the best enemies and the worst enemies.

The best if you can kill them without being seen, and the worst if they happen to see you.

Also the worst if you're trying for a pacifism run. God dammit cyberninja STOP WALKING INTO TRAPS. I take no responsibility for this!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ora? Ora, those "things" are your clanmates. They're just wearing body armor.

Also, yes, they tried to kill you, and I submit that should be the reason you're unpersoning them.

Not because they're wearing body armor.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phew, that's the end of the game, in the tiled mess at the bottom there are four videos, the man level at the top, the OPTIONAL choices/discussion at the bottom, then either endings on the left or right.

See you guys for DLC and NG+!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 4, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I had zero trouble with the "3 stalkers" part of the dojo. Just hide in the vents, moving from one to another as the stalkers move through the room. It takes them over half the timer to even get to the more distant vents, and by that time they're so spread out that you can easily move to hide in terrain they've already covered.

I rather expect that the pacifism run will simply hide in a box at the dojo entrance until the timer expires, which isn't exactly much more difficult.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

If anyone is interested, the game is 80% off on steam right now, down to $3.59

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, wow, I didn't expect you to just cut to the ending in the next update.

So, what'd you all think about the twist with Ora just being the personification of Mark's violent tendencies? :unsmigghh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, wow, I didn't expect you to just cut to the ending in the next update.

So, what'd you all think about the twist with Ora just being the personification of Mark's violent tendencies? :unsmigghh:

It's a pretty nice twist. You don't seem too insane, but then again, Ora DID convince you to fight against your fellows--just as the warning of the inks went.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Interesting, I was expecting some kind of 'you were crazy all along!' reveal but I didn't see hallucination Ora coming.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It also makes a lot of things that seemed dumb earlier in the plot make much more sense.

Quite liked it.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Ah man, that was a pretty good ending.

Sadly the 'gradually losing yourself to the ink' twist had been spoiled for me, but I got to slowly work out what Ora was on my own. It still gave me some chills when Azai asked who... er... Mark was speaking to, though. Fight Club with ninjas.

The endings were very understated, as well. No exposition on the effects of your decision. You die, or you lose your mind. Very stark. It reminded me a bit of Spec Ops: The Line.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DumbRodent posted:

Ah man, that was a pretty good ending.

Sadly the 'gradually losing yourself to the ink' twist had been spoiled for me, but I got to slowly work out what Ora was on my own. It still gave me some chills when Azai asked who... er... Mark was speaking to, though. Fight Club with ninjas.

The endings were very understated, as well. No exposition on the effects of your decision. You die, or you lose your mind. Very stark. It reminded me a bit of Spec Ops: The Line.

Agreed. This is the only case where I didn't mind a "push button receive ending" style ending. I went through the game fully lethal my first time through, and having the option to do the right thing in a single moment of lucidity, and choosing not to do that was really good.

Then I did my non lethal playthrough and it was seppuku town.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm hoping I gave the ending the justice it deserved, I really enjoyed it when I played, both endings suck, but in different ways. But with view count being the only real metric I have, seems Ora's ending is chosen slightly more. Also tell me if there were any points I missed in my choices discussion so I can talk about them in NG+.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Funnily enough, my playthroughs went the opposite route. I don't know why it felt more right, but I liked the sudden subversion, as perhaps our true nature showed through in that exact moment.

Interestingly, the old Samurai (and thus, by this game's logic, Ninja) code of honor is starkly clear as to what happens in this kind of situation. You kill yourself because your master is in a much more informed position than you are, and you have no right to haul off on your own for any reason. It doesn't matter if your master is doing something that goes against tradition. He is your master and that is that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It is rare that a game manages to put together a decent 'what you are in the dark' moment that works, but this one succeeded.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I was a little annoyed that they didn't have a "Kill all three" option, but I kind of understand why. It's undeniable that Azai lied and manipulated someone that he should trust utterly (for a while after the marking, at least), and he hasn't really done all that much to justify his place in the new order, but that would undermine the point of making a choice. Certainly, though, in a pacifism run, there's no reason to be suspicious of Mark.

Speaking of, now that we've seen the final level, I can confirm the point that makes a pacifism run incredibly frustrating for me: the two Stalkers by the door-opening lever at 11:15. Opening the path forward kills them unless you do some very tricky manoeuvring, and it's kind of annoying.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WFGuy posted:

I was a little annoyed that they didn't have a "Kill all three" option, but I kind of understand why. It's undeniable that Azai lied and manipulated someone that he should trust utterly (for a while after the marking, at least), and he hasn't really done all that much to justify his place in the new order, but that would undermine the point of making a choice. Certainly, though, in a pacifism run, there's no reason to be suspicious of Mark.

Speaking of, now that we've seen the final level, I can confirm the point that makes a pacifism run incredibly frustrating for me: the two Stalkers by the door-opening lever at 11:15. Opening the path forward kills them unless you do some very tricky manoeuvring, and it's kind of annoying.

A pacifist ninja? That's sketchy to begin with.

Also there's the matter of the ink driving every single host insane and homicidal. It's not 'if', it's 'when'. Mark going so far on the straight and narrow is a sign of exceptional will, but that just means he can die without soiling his honor. Wait around too much, he goes crazy too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

WFGuy posted:

Certainly, though, in a pacifism run, there's no reason to be suspicious of Mark.

Aside from the hallucinations.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aside from the hallucinations.

Shhh, he's mute, he's not telling anyone until Azai finds out in the 12-13 cutscene.

He's also more or less invisible and extremely difficult to track, but that's beside the point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
poo poo. So... when did Ora die or stop following us? I remember she was there before we got marked, but...

It does make more sense why she went all crusader on us - if she represents the toxin as a living thing, she'd hate being abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

poo poo. So... when did Ora die or stop following us? I remember she was there before we got marked, but...

Ora was always a hallucination. Always. The Ninja has the mark from the moment he wakes up on Stage 1.

• Locked thread