Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Especially a Catholic/Orthodox Christian theocracy. There would be no rich or poor, as St. Basil the Great said that "For if we all took only what was necessary to satisfy our own needs, giving the rest to those who lack, no one would be rich, no one would be poor, and no one would be in need." If we could decouple the theocratic state from far right politics, we could have a perfect ruling class. Another good point of a theocratic government would be that war would be a complete last option as killing is banned by almost all religions.

Now I know what you're thinking. What about people that do not belong to the dominant religion? Well, you would do just as previous theocracies did (the Ottoman Empire) and have non-believers pay a tax for not being a part of the main church. This system of benign neglect would not disenfranchise minority religions.

What say you? Would you like to live in a theocracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
How would you maintain accountability if the ruling class has a mandate from heaven?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ReV VAdAUL posted:

How would you maintain accountability if the ruling class has a mandate from heaven?

No one man is above the council that elects him. Even the Pope may be ousted by the College of Cardinals.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Merciless hardline fundamentalist death squads.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Merciless hardline fundamentalist death squads.

The same ones that praise Jesus while worshiping at the altar of Rand? WH40k was a documentary. :commissar:

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

I don't see the problem. They would have a mandate from heaven for a reason after all. It's a mandate from heaven.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

god's not real, lol

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Smoking Crow posted:

Especially a Catholic/Orthodox Christian theocracy. There would be no rich or poor, as St. Basil the Great said that "For if we all took only what was necessary to satisfy our own needs, giving the rest to those who lack, no one would be rich, no one would be poor, and no one would be in need." If we could decouple the theocratic state from far right politics, we could have a perfect ruling class. Another good point of a theocratic government would be that war would be a complete last option as killing is banned by almost all religions.

Now I know what you're thinking. What about people that do not belong to the dominant religion? Well, you would do just as previous theocracies did (the Ottoman Empire) and have non-believers pay a tax for not being a part of the main church. This system of benign neglect would not disenfranchise minority religions.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you but Priest really isn't Paul Bettany's best work.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I think this guy's been smoking something other than Crow. I used to live in a theocracy, but we moved out of Utah when I was 12. Pretty sure it sucked hardcore.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Sounds like communism would be better.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah living in a Catholic theocracy would be great. Unless you were a woman.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Network Pesci posted:

I think this guy's been smoking something other than Crow. I used to live in a theocracy, but we moved out of Utah when I was 12. Pretty sure it sucked hardcore.

Utah is too secular to be a true theocracy. I don't think you guys know what a theocracy is.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I agree. Replace America with a theocracy. Let's call it the Republic of Gilead.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

No one man is above the council that elects him. Even the Pope may be ousted by the College of Cardinals.

That almost never causes a decades long schism :v:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
The South will rise again, but this time there will be an antipope involved.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Smoking Crow posted:

Would we have to wear identifying clothing, too?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hedera Helix posted:

Would we have to wear identifying clothing, too?

Edit: I messed up, op. You can if you want to, but I do not mind.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

cock hero flux posted:

god's not real, lol

This.

There can be no such thing as a real theocracy because even if there is a God, it's not giving us any hints on how to run the world. The best you can hope to end up with is some person/group of people who claims that God is speaking to them and handing down commands, which is effectively just a dictatorship/oligarchy where the leadership can pass the blame up to an imperceptible, unaccountable figure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kibbutzim are alright, I guess.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Didn't you post an almost-as-trolling thread in TBB?

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

A Christian theocratic state would almost certainly want to enforce their ideals of sexual modesty. No contraception plus no abortion plus abstinence only education is a recipe for disaster. Plus I don't see any practical way to decouple a theocratic state from far-right politics.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Didn't you post an almost-as-trolling thread in TBB?

Uh, I wasn't trolling in TBB, i actually feel that way about literature.

Edit: same for this topic

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

evilweasel posted:

That almost never causes a decades long schism :v:

You know what, I'll change my position on the whole deal if Smoking Crow can guarantee another cadaver synod.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You know what, I'll change my position on the whole deal if Smoking Crow can guarantee another cadaver synod.

I do. Welcome to the team!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

I do. Welcome to the team!

Nah I was just messin' with you, there is no God and theocracy is for squares. :dealwithit:

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Utah is too secular to be a true theocracy. I don't think you guys know what a theocracy is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodemocracy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Which religion? Also, since it wont be Judaism, what will be done with the Jews? :ohdear:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I agree, lets invent a time machine and get William Jennings Bryan elected as our benevolent overlord.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who What Now posted:

Which religion? Also, since it wont be Judaism, what will be done with the Jews? :ohdear:

The Jews are fine with me. I prefer a lot of kosher foods to the gentile version!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

The Jews are fine with me. I prefer a lot of kosher foods to the gentile version!

Cool! Theocracies have generally (read:never) been kind to jews. Good to know yours will, though! :D

But that doesn't answer which religion will reign supreme. Will there be a ladder match to decide?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who What Now posted:

Cool! Theocracies have generally (read:never) been kind to jews. Good to know yours will, though! :D

But that doesn't answer which religion will reign supreme. Will there be a ladder match to decide?

The Ottomans were kind to the Jews and Osman declared himself caliph. Same for the Persians under Cyrus.

I personally like Orthodox Christianity but I'm slightly biased because that's my religion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I agree. Replace America with a theocracy. Let's call it the Republic of Gilead.

Would we drop balms instead of bombs?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I personally like Orthodox Christianity but I'm slightly biased because that's my religion.

It's gotta be the Aztec religion, because I don't want the sun to burn out :ohdear:

:sun:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Personally I am afraid that when Set weighs my soul against the weight of a feather I will not pass the test. Smoking Crow, how would you respond to claims that Orthodoxy weighs down the soul with sins against Ra?

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Personally I am afraid that when Set weighs my soul against the weight of a feather I will not pass the test. Smoking Crow, how would you respond to claims that Orthodoxy weighs down the soul with sins against Ra?

Dude just ask Set to use the Roc feather. Get buried with two silver pieces over your eyes and slip the big jackel one. Save the other for the ferryman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Humans will find a way to gently caress up even a divinely appointed utopia. See: Garden of Eden, The.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VitalSigns posted:

It's gotta be the Aztec religion, because I don't want the sun to burn out :ohdear:

:sun:

The Aztec religion is false because there haven't been sacrifices since the time of Cortes and yet the sun still burns. Unless they count war death as sacrifice, but I'm not sure what the codices say.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

The Aztec religion is false because there haven't been sacrifices since the time of Cortes and yet the sun still burns. Unless they count war death as sacrifice, but I'm not sure what the codices say.

Neither does anyone else, since the Spanish priests burned them all!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who What Now posted:

The Pharaohs don't exist anymore, therefore you can't believe in their religion. Wouldn't the Egyptian gods have intervened when the Christians took them over if they existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

The Pharaohs don't exist anymore, therefore you can't believe in their religion. Wouldn't the Egyptian gods have intervened when the Christians took them over if they existed?

Perhaps the Egyptian gods just like a winner and you've been praying to Ra this whole time.

• Locked thread