Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Especially a Catholic/Orthodox Christian theocracy. There would be no rich or poor, as St. Basil the Great said that "For if we all took only what was necessary to satisfy our own needs, giving the rest to those who lack, no one would be rich, no one would be poor, and no one would be in need." If we could decouple the theocratic state from far right politics, we could have a perfect ruling class. Another good point of a theocratic government would be that war would be a complete last option as killing is banned by almost all religions.

Now I know what you're thinking. What about people that do not belong to the dominant religion? Well, you would do just as previous theocracies did (the Ottoman Empire) and have non-believers pay a tax for not being a part of the main church. This system of benign neglect would not disenfranchise minority religions.

What say you? Would you like to live in a theocracy?

Which religion? Also, since it wont be Judaism, what will be done with the Jews? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

The Jews are fine with me. I prefer a lot of kosher foods to the gentile version!

Cool! Theocracies have generally (read:never) been kind to jews. Good to know yours will, though! :D

But that doesn't answer which religion will reign supreme. Will there be a ladder match to decide?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Personally I am afraid that when Set weighs my soul against the weight of a feather I will not pass the test. Smoking Crow, how would you respond to claims that Orthodoxy weighs down the soul with sins against Ra?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

The Pharaohs don't exist anymore, therefore you can't believe in their religion. Wouldn't the Egyptian gods have intervened when the Christians took them over if they existed?

The pharaohs are totally real, dude. They rule forever in the afterlife.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I'd be down with WHF, but loving elves man

I hate elves so much

But you can kill tons and tons of elves in WHF.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

E-Tank posted:

And what happens if the people refuse to or can't pay the tax?

They will be asked politely to leave. And it will be super awkward and they will be totally embarrassed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

buttcoin smuggler posted:

A properly run Catholic theocracy would be preferable to the (neo-)liberal hellhole the United States is becoming.

For starters, we'd see massive decreases in both capitalist exploitation and the mass murder of unborn children.

You can't murder what isn't a person, silly!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Mom and Dad fake conversion to save money and in forty years their grandchildren will be pious little Christian soldiers.

Mom and Dad still teach their children the one true religion under Allah in secret. :ssh:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

They might try to but Islam doesn't really work in secret. It's all about carrying out ceremonial religious actions and I think someone might notice if a family stops eating during the daytime for a lunar month every year. If they really wanna be Muslim they can pay their taxes and be good little subjects.

Muslims are forgiven if they are forbidden by malevolent oppressors from observing holy rites, so they could be hella secret.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

like I said they can give it a shot, but if they get caught they better be ready for some back taxes.

Yeah, gently caress the poor!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

If they literally can't afford jizya then they don't pay poo poo's not hard.

Because Christians have never gone out of their way to persecute religious minorities. :allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sorry for misrepresenting the theocracy that doesn't exist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Are you saying that all Muslims are poor? I don't think that is true.

They'll be poor once they are taxed outrageously and segregated into ghettos on order of the theocratic government.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Why would they do that? Anyone can live anywhere they want, and it would be one more tax than the average person. I think you're being pessimistic.

Please don't strawman my theocracy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Atheist theocracies sound pretty lovely.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

I disagree that restricting access to contraceptive options reduces women to chattel.

You're right. It's much more correct to say it reduces women to breeding stock.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

If women are chattel without access to modern contraceptive methods when was the moment that women became not chattel?

You answered this in the first half of your question.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

What about societies that had no concept of property?

What about them?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Progressives are about to discover Christianity again and poo poo is going to get way real.

E: Atheists will never make lasting positive social change so pass out gospel tracks quote Jesus at protests.

Christians will never make lasting positive social change either. Nor will Muslims, or Hindus, Sikhs, Jaines, Buddhist, or agnostics. Lasting change is an impossibility, for all of man's works will ultimately be for nought. All that will be left is a dead world made putrid by man's touch, and even that will inevitably be consumed in the fires of a dying star. Everything you work for an believe in will be eradicated as if it never was, and the universe will continue it's slow and inexorable march towards heat death.

So party it up now, woooo!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't think that is true, op

I don't think you know what OP means.

Also Im sorry you don't know how stars work but it's a fact that the earth will perish as the sun expands.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

You people do know that your life doesn't end when you have a kid right

Look at this childless rube. Look at him and mock him for his ignorance.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

please explain the individual's role within his society using science tyia

Science isn't the polar opposite of religion, brah.

Miltank posted:

There is this weird thing with modernity where children are now a net drag on economic production for the first time in recorded history while at the same time parents are pressured to drop their own lives and dreams to focus entirely on the lives of their children. Its idolatry probably.

I'm sorry that your dad didn't hug you because he was too busy praying to the Pope or whatever, but posting here won't make him love you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

I love how the OP started with "A Christian Theocracy would be just peachy because it would be full communism and there would be no war, just like Jesus commanded", and then people start asking about things like women's rights and it's all "Well of course women would be held as property with no political enfranchisement, access to education, economic freedom, or agency over their own bodies, it's all right there in First Corinthians. But for the male 51% of the population it'd be a paradise."

I'm almost afraid to ask what will happen to gays in this Christopia? Do I get to pay the jizyah and go about my life? Cuz if we're basing this on Russian Orthodox, I have a sinking feeling that I'm gonna end up getting stoned to death.

You get to pay the tax, but it's 99% of your income rather than just 98% like for religious and racial minorities because you are extra evil.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

seems like a bit of a cop out to me.

Sorry, but thems the breaks, kid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Oh, nothing. We are taught to love out brothers and sisters, so probably nothing will happen to them

You can be religious and gay, you know

What if the gay person isn't your sibling? Then it's to the gulags!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

It is really such a bummer that I have to break it to yall like this, but life has meaning and morality is real :(

Sorry!

You're right. Meaning is whatever we want it to be for ourselves, and morality is what societal consensus dictates it to be. It's pretty rad.

-EDIT-

As an aside I'm shocked this thread hasn't been shitcanned or thrown back to GBS yet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

You can if you want to. I'm not stopping you.

Gulags are an atheist invention, good sir

I think you'll find that gulags come from your beloved Moscow.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Yes, and a large majority of the residents were religious dissidents. Communism was a pretty bad period in Russian history, but the church has prevailed as it always has.

It was actually the opposite. See the Russian language says sentences backwards, that's how we get Yakov Smirnov jokes. So in Russian they would say "Atheists put into gulags the Christians" but a more accurate translation would be "Christians, the gulags into put the atheists."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Does anyone here want to ban birth control? The OP doesn't and neither do I so why not PM kyrie elieson if you wanna have this fight? I reject that women are inherently property without the availability of contraceptives but luckily contraceptives aren't going away because that would make no sense.

Yeah religious rules suck for the most part lets get rid of them but keep the Christianity.

OP said he'd ban abortion and that is a form of birth control. And since all birth control methods available to women can be viewed as causing abortions, the OP wants to ban all female contraceptives.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

They can be, but they aren't

Haha, you dont even know what your own position is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^
That but unironically

________

Smoking Crow posted:

I believe my position is

What is it with theocrats and being pedophiles?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

The meaning of life is to love every human as if they were a member of your intimate community and to love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul mind, strength, ect.

Soul mind was my dump stat because I'm a sorcerer and not a Paladin.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

1) I am not a pedophile, sir.

2) I can't believe that you genuinely thought that a guy with an anime avatar doesn't like anime

Anime is made exclusively for pedophiles. You like anime. You are a pedophile.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Catholics, and probably Orthodox Christians too, are more likely than average to be pro-gay in the USA. The position outlined is one of religiously-oriented rule, not adopting the structure of the church into the government. Therefore, the proposed liturgical theocracy would have more support for gay rights than the USA does currently.

This only applies the laypeople. The Catholic Church as an organization doesn't support equal rights for homosexuals, even if now they have the good sense to tap dance around actually saying as much.

quote:

Ironclad logic.

It's never been proven false.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Again, this is not suggesting that the hierarchy of the American Orthodox Churches take over the government, nor the Catholic Church, from anything that I can see.

Do you have any idea what a Theocracy is?

quote:

And I would like some proof that Steven Spielberg is a child molester.

Did he produce or does he like anime? If yes then he is a pedophile. Not all pedophiles are child molesters, though.

Miltank posted:

The Catholic Church as an institution cannot accept gay marriage until it reexamines its entire doctrine on sex and reproduction. As it stands gays have just as much right to enter into a childless marriage as a straight person does.

If they can't marry who they love (I.E. Another person of the same gender) then that right is meaningless, much like your religion as a whole.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Theocracy means rule by religious law. It does not say anything about the Church hierarchy serving as the government. This would make Sunni theocracies impossible otherwise.

We're not talking about Sunnis now are we? Even if the church hierarchy wouldn't be in positions by law, they would almost certainly find those positions in a weird coincidence (it wouldn't actually be a coincidence).

quote:

And good job with the accusations of public figures as pedophiles. Truly, a logical process free from error.

I'm sorry that your cartoons of bug-eyes little girls showing their panties is targeted at and consumed by pedophiles. Maybe like something that isn't so awful?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Theocracy only applies to Christians? This is surely not reasonable.

In America it does, yes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

This is an asinine position to hold. Definitions should not shift so broadly when we talk about one specific country if we are to have meaningful communication.

I don't know what to tell you then, but that's the way it works. Different cultures that have similar terms can have vastly different meanings.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

So what would we call a hypothetical USA that was ruled by Buddhist law?
An alternate and impossible universe would be a pretty good label I think.

quote:

What should we call this proposed society, which separates out religious authority and secular (an example of a word that genuinely shifts meanings in this context) authority but still has the secular authority informed by religious values?

That's what we have right now. It's just that there isn't a sole religion from which these authorities must be informed by.

quote:

Because saying "Theocracy requires popery!" is not convincing as a response to this system without outlining the means by which it is impossible to establish this system outlined in the prior sentence.

Theocracy does require popery because that's exactly what a theocracy is. Brandor outlined this for you, but your thinking of a theonomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Please stop fighting, my D&D friends :(

gently caress you, you're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do!

• Locked thread