Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Christianity holds the key to full communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

sandorius posted:

What's to stop people from converting to the 'dominant religion' for the tax benefits? Do you really want people in your church for purely mercenary purposes? What happens when people start complaining about how their religious taxes are being spent? You are seriously completely fine with making other people tithe to your church while you sit back and enjoy the tax breaks?

Mom and Dad fake conversion to save money and in forty years their grandchildren will be pious little Christian soldiers.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Mom and Dad still teach their children the one true religion under Allah in secret. :ssh:

They might try to but Islam doesn't really work in secret. It's all about carrying out ceremonial religious actions and I think someone might notice if a family stops eating during the daytime for a lunar month every year. If they really wanna be Muslim they can pay their taxes and be good little subjects.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Muslims are forgiven if they are forbidden by malevolent oppressors from observing holy rites, so they could be hella secret.

like I said they can give it a shot, but if they get caught they better be ready for some back taxes.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If they literally can't afford jizya then they don't pay poo poo's not hard.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Because Christians have never gone out of their way to persecute religious minorities. :allears:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Atheist theocracies sound pretty lovely.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
yeah like I said

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Luckily Christianity has a long history of democracy.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I disagree that restricting access to contraceptive options reduces women to chattel.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
it is pretty hosed that women can't be religious leaders in catholicism/orthodoxy hopefully they would fix that.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If women are chattel without access to modern contraceptive methods when was the moment that women became not chattel?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Progressives are about to discover Christianity again and poo poo is going to get way real.

E: Atheists will never make lasting positive social change so pass out gospel tracks quote Jesus at protests.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Alexzandvar posted:

Practice of religion is at an all time low in Western Europe and it's trending that way for the US, since when people are educated and have access to good accommodation and a good life whats the point of religion when telling people it will all be better as long as you do what the church says makes no sense because your life is already fine.

When lovely old religion dies it makes room for new vibrant faith.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Christians will never make lasting positive social change either. Nor will Muslims, or Hindus, Sikhs, Jaines, Buddhist, or agnostics. Lasting change is an impossibility, for all of man's works will ultimately be for nought. All that will be left is a dead world made putrid by man's touch, and even that will inevitably be consumed in the fires of a dying star. Everything you work for an believe in will be eradicated as if it never was, and the universe will continue it's slow and inexorable march towards heat death.

So party it up now, woooo!

Sorry bud, evil is real but luckily so is good.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Alexzandvar posted:

I know this isn't really obvious for a lot of people but the whole belief system that people claim humans need to get through their every day can literally be anything. A belief system is just your understanding of why the world functions as it does, so with education and reason, religion quickly becomes irrelevant.

not really, no.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
There is this weird thing with modernity where children are now a net drag on economic production for the first time in recorded history while at the same time parents are pressured to drop their own lives and dreams to focus entirely on the lives of their children. Its idolatry probably.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Alexzandvar posted:

Religion is just a way of explaining how the world works and why things happen. Since humanity used to be pretty loving stupid and lived in caves we came up with the idea of gods because it was a easy way to explain everything that happened ever. Now we understand our environment and our existence and how it came to be, so people don't need religion anymore to explain why poo poo happens. People can get through their everyday life because they are sure in reality, we just don't take feeling from religion anymore.

please explain the individual's role within his society using science tyia

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

rkajdi posted:

It'll be a progressive movement up until the moment the real world forces those religious progressives to contradict a portion of their faith in favor of additional forward progress. As an example, lots of the church goers who were just fine pushing for racial civil rights were more than willing to stab LGBT people in the back over their attempts to get rights. Lots were actual functioning human beings and supported the cause, but acting like that was anywhere near the majority. Hell, in this thread, you jut tried to whitewash women's rights, very possibly because of your regressive religious views regarding sex.

I think a women should have 400 abortions if she wants to doesn't matter to me.

The trick will be eliminating social norms that are masquerading as religious doctrine.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Science isn't the polar opposite of religion, brah.

just explain it then dog, doesn't matter to me.

Alexzandvar posted:

What is the entire study of psychology and industrial science?

definitely not.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

rkajdi posted:

Best answer to the meaning question is that there is none.

seems like a bit of a cop out to me.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It is really such a bummer that I have to break it to yall like this, but life has meaning and morality is real :(

Sorry!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

rkajdi posted:

Then stop carrying water for anti-woman and anti-choice cavemen. Your whole question was challenging the idea of basic bodily autonomy for women.

There is no difference. Religious rules (at least for the more established religions) are just the social norms of dead people. I could care less about the wishes of the dead-- their wishes stopped being relevant the second they stopped breathing.

Does anyone here want to ban birth control? The OP doesn't and neither do I so why not PM kyrie elieson if you wanna have this fight? I reject that women are inherently property without the availability of contraceptives but luckily contraceptives aren't going away because that would make no sense.

Yeah religious rules suck for the most part lets get rid of them but keep the Christianity.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
hobby lobby thinks that condoms are abortions so logically you do too wrap it up christailures.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

E-Tank posted:

And please, enlighten us, oh great master. What is the meaning of life then? And if you say god, I'm docking 50 points from hufflepuff.

The meaning of life is to love every human as if they were a member of your intimate community and to love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind, strength, ect.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

E-Tank posted:

50 points from hufflepuff.

I warned you.

So the meaning of life is basically not what you make of it, it's that you have to suck up to a deity in the desperate hopes that he'll decide not to throw you into an eternal pit of hell. Really loving and forgiving god that. Anything he doesn't like? Congrats, you're going to hell. Such a lovely meaning to life. :allears:

Why would everyone get to make up your own personal meaning of life that doesn't make any sense. There is no such thing as Dante's hell just regular death.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

E-Tank posted:

So you say you're a christian, but you deny one of the big things of the faith*. Namely, hell exists and god will totally condemn you to it if you so much as glance at him the wrong way. :psyduck:

*Not really.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

This only applies the laypeople. The Catholic Church as an organization doesn't support equal rights for homosexuals, even if now they have the good sense to tap dance around actually saying as much.

The Catholic Church as an institution cannot accept gay marriage until it reexamines its entire doctrine on sex and reproduction. As it stands gays have just as much right to enter into a childless marriage as a straight person does.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If the US constitution had actually been based on Christian principles and not on whatever would benefit the ruling elites it would have probably turned out to be a good country imo

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

If they can't marry who they love (I.E. Another person of the same gender) then that right is meaningless, much like your religion as a whole.

yeah ikr? Catholicism really need to fix its poo poo. Christianity is still right though.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
talk poo poo get hit when it comes to liberation theology.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Catholics are some good people mostly, but unfortunately their baptisms don't count :(

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

E: ya gotta be old enough to understand baptism or it doesn't actually symbolize anything.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Smoking Crow posted:

Do you ever truly understand how the baptism works? How is it that a dipping of water makes someone healed? The baby understands baptism as much as I do.

I was just trying to be playfully antagonistic. Nobody needs to be rebaptized, but it is my believe that the symbolic death and rebirth of baptism should be fully grasped by whoever is being baptized. I assume there is an Orthodox version of the Catholic first communion? Kinda like that, but with baptism too.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If I say something mean to another christian who isn't spouting hate just assume I'm doing it with that look on my face that your brother has when he is ribbing on you good.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's why Catholics have their Confirmation when they are old enough to decide for themselves. Coincidentally, it's around the same age and pretty much the same thing as a Jewish Bar Mitzvah, so good work not knowing about Catholicism I guess?

I heard that Catholics have sex with goats; is this true?
--- a Protestant

jeez sorry that I mixed up first communion and confirmation what a huge deal (lol)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What are the scriptural justifications for outlawing abortion besides PSA 139:13?

e: because there are two striking examples of abortion being not murder in the OT.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 10, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

A slightly different veneer of paint on top doesn't change the corrupt and rotting core.

but enough about atheism

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
do yourselves a favor and don't argue with WWN. He will shitpost all day and never make a single point if you let him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Muslims don't love Jesus as Christ AKA Gospel Jesus.

• Locked thread