Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Smoking Crow posted:

Have you considered making peace with the religion by taking a Catholic priest to Denny's?
I tried that once but I think the priest got the wrong impression because afterward he tried to molest me in the parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

E-Tank posted:

And what happens if the people refuse to or can't pay the tax?
Well then they can do forced labor for the state. The state would provide them food, shelter, everything as long as worked in service of the state. If they refused that, well, indoctrination. To deny the grace of god is a privilege the state can revoke.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

The same thing that happens in every other country when you can't pay the tax, garnishment or in some cases, prosecution for tax evasion.
So you would put the poor in prison for not being able to pay the tax? Sounds pretty non-Christian.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I think if Jesus comes back what he professes will deeply confuse everyone of every creed. Most people will probably wish he flew back to heaven.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Typo posted:

No it was not.
If we look at some of Iraq's neighbors with similar divided demographics, Lebanon and Syria, we see nations that have frequently erupted into sectarian violence. Syria is a meat grinder and Lebanon is held together with scotch tape. To government build in these regions you need very competent administrators at the helm that know what they're going into or else everything will literally blow up in their faces. The Bush administration came in with a totally deluded idea of what would happen when Saddam was gone. Maybe things could have gone differently with a different President at the helm but as it stands Bush was the wrong person in the wrong place. loving up deba'athification from the start of the war set Iraq unto the path it is now.

If we're going to derail into Iraq talk just close the thread.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 17, 2014

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

I happen to be obsessed with [Nietzsche].
Why?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I understand that many anarchists and some Christians want to embrace Nietzsche, but Nietzsche openly stated that the two ideologies were the same thing (the ultimate embodiment of slave morality/ressentiment) and he hated both. How do you reconcile the Will to Power with Jesus Christ? I have thought on this before and not come to a satisfactory answer.
E: What is Brandor's opinion?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 17, 2014

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

This is unrelated to what you are talking about, but I see a similarity in Tillich's argument of God as the base or stage upon which existence occurs to be similar to platonic ideas of mathematics. Mathematics in the platonic sense exists outside of physical reality, and reality is merely a crude approximation of mathematics. Tillich's God is also a synthetic a priori proposition, correct?
E: Ok, I can see there is a fine distinction between Tillich's vision of God as the ground of being and a Kantian idea of God as a thing-in-itself, but I'm not exactly sure what that distinction is.
I haven't read any Tillich beyond looking at Wikipedia so I apologize if I'm being ignorant.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

The real deep philosophical question here is how a predisposition for Christianity turns you into a weeaboo.

• Locked thread