Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

philkop posted:

So I have a spare strat body and neck lying around and I want to make something unique. [...]

In general I look at this and think something closer to a 'surf' guitar might suit what you're looking for? You could try using stainless steel strings - if not those, definitely pick up thicker roundwounds. I'm a big fan of 13s because I am a crazy person. The more string there is, the more of the initial 'pop' or 'slap' sound.

My understanding of the 'pop' and 'slap' thing is that typically you'd use higher-output pickups for that, maybe even active circuitry, and between that and the 'surf' concept I think you'd be better served getting into your guitar and changing the electronics around above and beyond everything else! Something as simple as changing the resistance of your pots might improve results for you, and will likely be a lot cheaper than buying other hardware. You could even step back to 1 meg pots - this is the J Mascis concept! And maybe just have a master volume and tone plus a rotary switch that has treble cut and bass cut settings for a really 'surf' feel.

As an aside, something you could do relatively easily is just downtune the highest two strings so they duplicate the pitch of others. Or even just mute them with a cloth! Or try some weird reverse-Nashville tuning, but you do so at your own risk.

If you must buy new hardware, I can vouch for Hipshot being a good company to work with, and the Trilogy bridge Ferrous Wheel mentioned looks pretty cool/useful. Aside from that, active circuitry as I mentioned before might help - lord knows enough of the tappy metal players use it - but you could change pickups, and I think a P90 in the neck is hard to go wrong with, especially if you're changing the string spacing. People swear by Harmonic Designs' Z90, which wouldn't require extra routing, but you could say the same about the GFS ones (cheaper, less of a commitment). And if you really wanna open up the higher pitches you can pick up a Q-Tuner high-Z model, they launched again recently and you'll DEFINITELY get new sounds out of one.

And then there's pedals, guitar synths, etc.... your options are unlimited, really. Whatever you do, it should be interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread