Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We're switching over to Lenovo for all of the reasons you have mentioned and more. Their build times for laptops have become outrageous 6 week affairs. They manage to incorrectly bill us little piddily 2-3$ late charges a couple of times a month that we then have to call and fight to get refunded. If by some miracle you do get a good sales rep they're gone in a month or two. Current sales rep doesnt reply to any communication and his manager isnt much better. The only thing I will say for them is that their local sub contractor here gets warranty repairs done very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tytanium posted:

We use Dell Premier, and have never had an issue getting a quote made. Build time for desktops has been excellent, almost always less than a week and a half, laptops maybe a bit more. We use Latitude E6520s and Dell MPWs and have never had a custom build take more than two weeks.

We use Dell Premier as well. You must be one of the lucky ones with a good sales rep. 6 weeks to get a latitude 7440! And they manage to screw up our custom configurations in the premier site all the time which means we have to email our rep to get the site updated/fix which just adds to the build time.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We just made the switch to Lenovo's and the build quality on the laptops are far better. The build times have been easily half of what Dell was for our custom configurations. Don't know how warranty support will play out yet but I'm hopeful.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Captain Pike posted:

Can you give us your impressions?

Also, what is the are between the touchpad left/right buttons? Is it a third button? A scroll area, or just dead space?

And would you be willing to measure the width and height of the touchpad? :spergin:

We have a ton of those as well as some 6800's. The engineers have been very pleased with them and they seem to hold up well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I have not been able to connect to Dell's FTP server from within the Lifecycle controller on any of our PowerEdge servers in months. Which FTP site? Their one and only one, ftp://ftp.dell.com/. Why can't I connect? I have no idea. It just times out, gives an error, then cancels any update. I've been pushing updates one by one over iDRAC and having them install with each reboot.

Unrelated, today I got this letter:

During a PSU firmware update back in August (?) one of the systems switched off... then never came back on. A half-hour later we had two amber LEDs and a dead system. We called and had the PSUs replaced. One of the replacement PSUs had an amber LED when we got it, so we called Dell again, and got replacement PSUs for the replacement PSUs.

We sent back the first set of PSUs (dead from bad firmware update), then sent back the second set of PSUs (one good, one amber LED). We got the usual "satisfaction survey" phone call, and that was the end of it.

The letter I received said PAST DUE and FINAL NOTICE on it. The bill is for $112, and the above note about us not returning the PSUs. How could our first and only letter be the "final" one? How is money past due if we had PSUs replaced under warranty??

I called Dell and asked what the HECK was going on.

"Whoops, our bad. We sent out those letters by mistake." Letters. Plural. As in, I wasn't the only one that received a letter like that.
They did receive the PSUs (all four) by last month, but still sent out the letter this month.

Has anyone else received a letter like this from Dell?

We received a similar letter for something even dumber. We were getting some sort of inventory sticker applied at the factory to all of our new laptops. For a while when we would send a laptop in for repair or RMA some part they were claiming that we didnt also return the inventory sticker and were charging us $3 a piece for each machine. We switched to Lenovo and havent looked back. Way less fucks ups and hassle to deal with. Dell is only as good as your rep and they dont last long. Even as a premier customer Dell was a pain to deal with.

• Locked thread