Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Paradox megacampaign Al-Andalus by Hashim is one of the best megacampaign LPs out there, with castrations, insane realm fractures and goons voting for the worst possible options at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The Assassination Of Danaru By The Coward CirclMastr - Let's Play Jeopardy is a triumph of the human spirit. Watch as our heroes, Dan and Grace, first take on the cold, unfeeling robotic intelligence of the AI world before being faced with another opponent in the fearsome Dad Circlmastr. Weep when they cannot play online. Rejoice when they realize they can gift PSN gift cards. Boo when Circlmastr enters the stage and cheer when the human spirit triumphs.

LISA LISA LISA LISA LISA (Let's Play) LISA LISA LISA is the definitive LP of LISA. Not only does Voice of Dog go into the central themes surrounding the game, he creates an atmosphere that's chill and funny and pleasing to watch. Don't forget this one. It's great.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 28, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Little Nightmares by JohnOfOrdo3, for showing that you can use subtitles for much more than just bare narration.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I heavily recommend Endless Ocean: Blue World by Zorak and co for an LP that is both chill and informative. most of the learning is about fish and Greek mythology. they did the first Endless Ocean too, but I think this one is better

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter by Scintilla. One of the most maligned RPGs around ever made, purely on the strength of its (unfair) reputation. It does so much different, both in terms of its own series, its setting and combat system, it deserves respect for what it does and Scintilla's LP shows that off admirably.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I'll repost what I recommended a while ago, because it's still really great.

TheMcD posted:

I would like to plug SelenicMartian's Blackstone Chronicles VLP.

If you're down for some atmospheric horror that doesn't use any cheap tricks to get scares, this is a home run. Our protagonist finds himself in an old asylum that is in the process of being turned into a museum in search of his abducted son, and he has many run-ins with the wonderful world of old psychiatric treatment. And it is downright horrifying, thanks in part to some excellent voice acting.

Come on in to Blackstone Asylum and let the wonderful world of medicinal history wash over you. It's a lot more thrilling than it might sound.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I'd recommend more than a few Selenic Martian LPs, actually.

My two favourites of his would be Headhunter because while it's definitely a bad game you should never play, it's the kind of bad game I could see myself playing because it's just awful in a really interesting way. Plus those live action news segments are great. The story is really what makes this LP.

Also features probably the worst driving mechanics ever, as well as a really weird system that slows down your progression through the game by forcing you to grind driving for no reason at all other than padding.

I'm also fond of his Vivisector LP since it's of a FPS that was never officially released in English speaking countries. The game starts out pretty bad (if you ask me) and arguably gets better the further on it goes, weirdly enough. Also, Selenic Martian goes into some detail about some of the talent (genuine and otherwise) involved in the game, and late in the series speaks about some scandals in the Russian game industry.

The game features a kind of neat dismemberment/maiming mechanic too.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Artix posted:

Hey folks, with the new stickies coming down the line, we're going to be merging Requests and Recommendation. Seeing as we're due for a refresh, I feel like we should take the time to throw out some new recommendations for the "official" recommended list or whatever you want to call the list in the second post. This is not to say the current list is bad or anything, but it hasn't been updated in over four years (and a few LPs have been lost, like Kamoc's Silent Hill Homecoming LP; thanks Youtube!). The recommendations don't have to be super long or detailed, but they should quickly get across the appeal of whatever LP you're shilling for, and the format of the LP - see the current list in the second post if you need inspiration. I'll gather em up and post the new list along when the new thread goes up in a couple days. Thanks guys!

I love getting in some fresh wind. Some of the current recommendations in the op are of the "Legendary Let's Play" variety but quite a few are good things that existed at the time.

Are we gonna keep the current categorization?

quote:

Solo Commentary
Multi Commentary
Co-Op LPs
Subtitled LPs
Chill LPs
Misc. LPs / Megathreads
Informative SSLPs
Narrative SSLPs
Comedic SSLPs

Cause I'm not sure this is the best thing necessarily. For instance we got a break between Informative, Narrative and Comedic SSLPs but VLPs get more categories but kinda lack these basic ones. Instead I'd think it'd be better to kinda streamline the categories a bit and just label each LP as an SSLP, VLP, HLP, w/e LP to kinda throw them all in the same pot. I get that there's people who very strongly prefer one over the other but I don't think there's anything a good ctrl+f can't fix.

So the format could be like such.

quote:

You Have To Burn The Rope by Somus Jerkus - [VLP] [Informative] [Solo]
This LP is a great showcase exploring every secret of this cult classic flash game. The LP is from the 1930s though and the LPer says slurs a lot.
(Naturally, the Informative "Tag" or any of them could be removed if there's also a header category featuring LPs of a certain type. At this point I wasn't actually thinking anything through, just brainstorming)

And to add actual recommendations for the new OP:
Genocyber's Bloodborne LP is probably the best I've seen. It's informative and Geno's got a pretty chill vibe while showing essentially everything including the DLC.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I kinda figured I was gonna scrap the existing structure there, but it'll depend on what and how much stuff people give me to work with. If I end up with a ton of relatively niche stuff then yeah, I kinda have to keep that kind of structure but I doubt that will be the case.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Seconding the rec for Genocyber's LPs in general, and the Bloodborne one in specific. Geno's one of the chillest, most informative LPers I've had the pleasure of watching, and they're one of the few From Software fans that don't do the whole "angry scream cam" thing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'd like to rec the Restaurant Empire and Restaurant Empire 2 SSLPs by Enchanted Hat. Some games are absolutely perfect for the LP medium (aka obscure and/or garbage to play, but hilarious to see), and I'd say these definitely count. The weird plots and the on-point interior decorating choices by the audience are great for some laughs.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Werner-Boogle posted:

I've been watching Oatmealraisins Let's Play Spec Ops: The Line because it was linked in the OP, and I just found out the last episode is blocked on YouTube and the BlipTV link doesn't work!!
Long shot, but does anyone have a mirror or any other way I can watch it?

reached out to oatmeal to ask about this

unfortunately it sounds like youtube killed it for the hendrix track at the end, and he doesn't know where the hard drive with the original is :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Frothypogs Majora's Mask 3-day challenge for Dodongo-bombing, bean-munching, pipe-playing, milk-guzzling action. Concept is interesting enough by itself, but the commentary puts it on another level. Comedic, multi-person VLP.

Blind Sally's Chrono Trigger LP, in which a deranged madman murders his way through Guardia and other locales. MSPaint CYOA narrative LP.

Crisis Now's Papal CK2 LP for BATTLE POPE and secret Yazidi Pope nearly destroying Catholicism. Sadly archives-only; doesn't look like LPArchive has it. SSLP.

Kuvo's Magic Knight Rayearth LP, showcasing an unreasonably charming Saturn action RPG. Multi-person VLP.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 29, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nondevor posted:

I'd like to rec the Restaurant Empire and Restaurant Empire 2 SSLPs by Enchanted Hat. Some games are absolutely perfect for the LP medium (aka obscure and/or garbage to play, but hilarious to see), and I'd say these definitely count. The weird plots and the on-point interior decorating choices by the audience are great for some laughs.

Oh man, those were amazing. I loved decorating the restaurants, and it reached apotheosis with the redesign of Triez a Table in the second game:

I don't know who 'shopped Armond's head onto Napoleon Crossing the Alps, but I love them.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Everyone should follow Democracy of Arsenals because its really well written and fun to read and participate in.

We've just done our first big scenario so read through it and participate in the CYOA part!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I want to throw out a recommendation for one of my favorite VLPs of all time, even if it's almost a decade (!) old now.

SuperGreatFriend's LP of ILLBLEED is a fascinating look at a game that doesn't make any more sense the fourth time you've watched it. It's a weird blend of survival horror, comedy, and whatever else was on the creators' minds that day, I guess. Come for the baseball, stay for a Toy Story knockoff, and please tell me who KILLERMAN is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Someone needs to track down the people who made illbleed. I need an oral history of that game and why on earth they made half the decisions they did.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Hello, I'm looking for any let's plays of the civilisation 4 mod Fall From Heaven. I just read octag's and really enjoyed it.

Are there any for the civ4 mod rhyes and fall of civilisation?

Thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fare thee well, Old Recommendation Thread. Long live the New Recommendation thread.