Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
wanna pop in to talk about GrandmaParty, who is a cool dude and is doing an LP of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888907

Jimmy was my favorite game of 2018, it's an earnest retro RPG with aesthetic/mechanical influences from a lot of things but mainly Earthbound and FF5. It takes place entirely in the dreams of the eight year old titular character who uses the power of empathy to feel like his enemies and change his job class and ability set in battle. You explore Jimmy's mind, go on adventures with his family, and confront the scary things in his brain.

GP does a great job condensing the RPG experience for people who don't want to see every single fight, and manages to skirt the edge between formal LP of the game while being real informal and casual with his guests. The thread is also very nice and currently putting out some nice fanart for the sake of charity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I can't second this one enough. It's also one where you very much want to read the thread if you have archives

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I can't second this one enough. It's also one where you very much want to read the thread if you have archives

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515317

Well worth it!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a variety streamer out there that plays almost every major release? And does it competently? To completion? I found CohhCarnage recently and he seems ok so far.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Can anyone recommend any good playthroughs of the Star Ocean series? The first three games in particular. Just anything where they don't read out all the dialogue or have a terrible voice.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
I've been invited to contribute to a special issue of a philosophy journal looking at the aesthetics of things that don't usually get discussed. Since I love them (and because there hasn't been much literature talking about them) I thought I'd write about the aesthetics of let's plays. Specifically, I'm going to try and address the question of whether let's plays offer novel 'aesethetic possibilities' - i.e., interesting aesthetic experiences that other mediums aren't able to deliver.

With that in mind, could anyone recommend to me those let's plays that are 'definitive' of lp-genres, as well as those that are particularly aesthetically interesting/ground-breaking? I've got a bevy of examples already, but I'd be really curious to see what people come up with.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Boatmurdered and similar succession forts could probably support an article by themselves. The successive passing of control of an otherwise single player and largely inscrutable game, overlaid with the writer's narrative is certainly unique.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard basically rewrote/wrote the game so it was even more touching/hilarious and I don't think you can do that with any other medium. Also it's a classic in its own right.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
TIE Fighter and Quovak's LPs (especially Gazillionnaire Deluxe) are important in the realm of screenshot LPs.

EDIT: poo poo, Gazillionaire Deluxe was a Didja Redo LP, my bad. Quovak's cool and did an entire Chrono Trigger update in verse though, which may be relevant to your thesis.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 11, 2019

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Boatmurdered and similar succession forts could probably support an article by themselves. The successive passing of control of an otherwise single player and largely inscrutable game, overlaid with the writer's narrative is certainly unique.

Oh, I forgot about the DF succession lps! Those are brillliant, and nicely make one of the points I wanted to get across.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard basically rewrote/wrote the game so it was even more touching/hilarious and I don't think you can do that with any other medium. Also it's a classic in its own right.

Yeah, I was going to mention The Dark Id being the 'Ambassator to the West' for Nier/Drakengard. He's also stopped making LPs now, right?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

TIE Fighter and Quovak's LPs (especially Gazillionnaire Deluxe) are important in the realm of screenshot LPs.

Great, thanks for pointing these out!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm going to toss in recommendations for Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP, Chokes McGee's LPs of Final Fantasy Legend and its sequel, Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code, and Schildkrote's LP of Persona 3 as examples of LPs that add a lot of narrative to their games, even sometimes changing the genre or narrative framing of the plot; the P3 LP frames the game in the format of a blog/livejournal maintained by the protagonist, and the Animal Crossing LP writes a horror story using the framework of a game about decorating your house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I edited my original post to reflect that I mis-attributed Gazillionaire Deluxe to Quovak when it fact it was a Didja Redo affair. Quovak did do an entire Chrono Trigger update in verse though, which may be relevant to your thesis.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

I'm going to toss in recommendations for Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP, Chokes McGee's LPs of Final Fantasy Legend and its sequel, Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code, and Schildkrote's LP of Persona 3 as examples of LPs that add a lot of narrative to their games, even sometimes changing the genre or narrative framing of the plot; the P3 LP frames the game in the format of a blog/livejournal maintained by the protagonist, and the Animal Crossing LP writes a horror story using the framework of a game about decorating your house.

The Animal Crossing LP is likely the example I will open with, as it is utterly brilliant and perfectly encapsulates the idea of using a game-playing to create something new. (The only thing better was the sadly incomplete Carmen Sandiego game that (I think) Chewbot briefly ran.) And I mostly remember the first FFL LP for 'the saw is family', so I'll have to go back and look at those again.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
It's a minor example, but in terms of "creating something weird that really could only work in the medium of LP," I will never forget video 7 of Chip and Ironicus's LP of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nakar's Ultima series (Starting with 6 at least, the previous ones use emotes for dialogue portraits which is a little harder to follow nowadays) I'd say is at the same level of The Dark Id's Drakengard series in that it's mostly a rewritten narrative LP but still manages to be super informative. Also it's loving gut bustingly hilarious.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rid posted:

Yeah, I was going to mention The Dark Id being the 'Ambassator to the West' for Nier/Drakengard. He's also stopped making LPs now, right?

Due to his daughter passing, yeah. I don't know if he'll ever return, but like, on his own time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I would also point to Lilli's Dominions 3 LP (original thread requires archives) as something that's fairly creative, and it's a group effort to boot.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Jerusalem's LPs of GTA: San Andreas and CK2, as well as Zoolooman's Civ 4 LP, are all top-notch examples of the writer going all out on expanding the narrative of their games.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Beaten to posting J-Ru's stuff, but yeah, both of those are some of my most read literature ever, absolutely phenomenal.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
While we're talking about narrative LPs, Bobbin Threadbare's Academagia is a really solid read. While the game itself already features a lot of writing, Bobbin expands upon it a ton by majorly fleshing out characters (both NPCs and the player) and creating additional story beats.

Some VLPs might fall under the "aesthetically interesting/ground-breaking" territory too, like Geop turning the Assassin's Creed games into a historical edutainment series. Or the Girl Games megathread, which was inspired from an article in The Guardian highlighting the types of sexist discourse often marketed toward young girls.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I think it would be worth recommending some shorter LPs to go along with these hundred+ post epics.

Sonic Easy Mode by DocFuture is pretty old, but it's a wonderfully entertaining whatever-it-is that you can watch in 20 minutes and definitely does something different with the medium.

Link's Awakening by MeccaPrime relies on the audience having played the game in question before, but it takes LP expectations and runs with them in a fun direction (the original forum post didn't give away the game like the LP Archive Table of Contents does).

There was also a Flywrench LP that was aesthetically unique, but I don't see it in the archives.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

I think it would be worth recommending some shorter LPs to go along with these hundred+ post epics.

Sonic Easy Mode by DocFuture is pretty old, but it's a wonderfully entertaining whatever-it-is that you can watch in 20 minutes and definitely does something different with the medium.

Link's Awakening by MeccaPrime relies on the audience having played the game in question before, but it takes LP expectations and runs with them in a fun direction (the original forum post didn't give away the game like the LP Archive Table of Contents does).

There was also a Flywrench LP that was aesthetically unique, but I don't see it in the archives.

Flywrench was really funny, but Pins has kind of scrubbed his entire LP career from the internet for various personal reason.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
JohnOfOrdo3's Little Nightmares run really shows off the potential of subtitles as more than just a translation tool. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836104

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DrKirre posted:

JohnOfOrdo3's Little Nightmares run really shows off the potential of subtitles as more than just a translation tool. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836104

RealSovietBear's Typing of the Dead: Overkill does very clever things with subtitles too.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 12, 2019

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Occultatio posted:

It's a minor example, but in terms of "creating something weird that really could only work in the medium of LP," I will never forget video 7 of Chip and Ironicus's LP of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Really any of Chip and Ironicus's really high quality work fits but yeh, that Blood on the Sand episode is a masterpiece that couldn't be created in any other medium.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Qylvaran posted:

This lp is dope and chill

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is retsupurae dead? did slowbeef and diabeetus break up?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend any good playthroughs of the Star Ocean series? The first three games in particular. Just anything where they don't read out all the dialogue or have a terrible voice.

This meets at least two of those criteria! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JDs4TB1V-0

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Now that it's been out for a while, can anyone recommend a good and thorough LP of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - There aren't any in the LParhive.

EDIT: Also maybe an in-depth Bloodborne LP since I'm currently like halfway through (I think) and would like to get a closer look at the game once I'm finished.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Werner-Boogle posted:

Now that it's been out for a while, can anyone recommend a good and thorough LP of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - There aren't any in the LParhive.

EDIT: Also maybe an in-depth Bloodborne LP since I'm currently like halfway through (I think) and would like to get a closer look at the game once I'm finished.

Not super helpful, butI think CJacobs mentioned he was recording an LP of it, but he hasn't produced it yet. You could wait for that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

Not super helpful, butI think CJacobs mentioned he was recording an LP of it, but he hasn't produced it yet. You could wait for that.
He does have a fantastic Bloodborne LP, though.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Looking for a good Frostpunk Lets play . Cheers

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Anything good for Dragon Quest XI? I know it's long, but I was wondering if anyone pulled it off.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Werner-Boogle posted:

If you want indepth Bloodborne, then look no further than this LP by Genocyber.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh I didn't read the edit, yeah CJacob's bloodborne LP is fantastic and also perfect if you want a close look at the game. He walks around everywhere and gives a close look at all the areas, gives a deep discussion of the lore, the creatures, etc etc

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 21, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just about anything CJacobs has done is really great and worth checking out if you have the time for it.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

For Sekiro you could try the on-going Jeff and David LP. Jeff is very good at understanding game mechanics and is running a second playlist with detailed boss guides. They're a long way off finishing though.

But yes fingers crossed for the inevitably great CJacobs LP.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Has there been an LP of Caves of QUD?

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I've been watching Oatmealraisins Let's Play Spec Ops: The Line because it was linked in the OP, and I just found out the last episode is blocked on YouTube and the BlipTV link doesn't work!!
Long shot, but does anyone have a mirror or any other way I can watch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hey folks, with the new stickies coming down the line, we're going to be merging Requests and Recommendation. Seeing as we're due for a refresh, I feel like we should take the time to throw out some new recommendations for the "official" recommended list or whatever you want to call the list in the second post. This is not to say the current list is bad or anything, but it hasn't been updated in over four years (and a few LPs have been lost, like Kamoc's Silent Hill Homecoming LP; thanks Youtube!). The recommendations don't have to be super long or detailed, but they should quickly get across the appeal of whatever LP you're shilling for, and the format of the LP - see the current list in the second post if you need inspiration. I'll gather em up and post the new list along when the new thread goes up in a couple days. Thanks guys!