Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

I have utterly failed at the skill of noticing huge banners. I will crawl into a corner now in embarassment - but you can't prevent me from watching an excellent LP while doing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

The recommendations are severely lacking in stuff made by caffeine enthusiasts.

Ride to Hell: Retribution is here to change that. This is an extremely funny group playthrough of a hilariously bad game. They edit when necessary and have great chemistry. You shouldn't miss the dlc also. The funniest moments are in there.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Eulisker posted:

Ride to Hell: Retribution is here to change that. This is an extremely funny group playthrough of a hilariously bad game. They edit when necessary and have great chemistry. You shouldn't miss the dlc also. The funniest moments are in there.

All of the Men Drinkin' Coffee LPs are great. I think they're, without a doubt, the funniest guys doing LPs.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Eulisker posted:

Their Advergames thread is on there, and I'm trying to avoid repeats.

I think folks are missing the point of the list; it's meant to be a shotgun approach to some good LPs. We could toe the line from here until the end of time saying what should or shouldn't be on there or what's missing and so forth. I needed maybe five or so good examples for each category and we more or less have that. I think it's okay as-is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Geop posted:

Their Advergames thread is on there, and I'm trying to avoid repeats.

I think folks are missing the point of the list; it's meant to be a shotgun approach to some good LPs. We could toe the line from here until the end of time saying what should or shouldn't be on there or what's missing and so forth. I needed maybe five or so good examples for each category and we more or less have that. I think it's okay as-is.

Well, the rest of the thread is supposed to be for recommendations anyhow, so there's no harm in bringing them up. We should simply be less focused on getting things into the OP, that's all.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I realize that! Just figured I'd respond to the folks still saying what should be added to the list :v: I think it's fine how it is.

Also, MAKING USE OF THAT FANCY LIST, I decided to start re-watching the Man with the Hat's Dead Space LP. Haven't seen it since it was relatively new, and I had forgotten how enjoyable it was! :allears: The video quality is a bit hammered due to the video limitations at the time on video sites (Viddlurrrrrghhh), but I enjoy his one-liners and how he points out discontinuity errors and such.

Geop fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 10, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll throw out a recommendation for Agent355's VLP of La-Mulana, a Metroidvania with heavy emphasis on puzzle-solving.

Most people who beat that game ended up referring to a walkthrough for a large percent of it, because La-Mulana Is Not Your Friend. This mostly ends up with the player asking "okay what did that actually do and why the hell did I just sleep under a mural of a woman's naughty bits while carrying an impregnated statue :psyduck:" (this really happens).

Agent shows the game played by someone who (mostly) refuses to resort to a walkthrough, showing how the puzzles in the game are ultimately solvable, mostly with the hints the game provides, with the odd bit of trial/error (and one or two instances of total bullshit). Co-commentator Yapo rides along to call Bullshit on the puzzles and relentlessly mock Agent's gaming and editing skills. Olesh is also showing the game played rather more skillfully and in hard mode, where the Hate goes up to the proverbial 11.

Also, Chakrams. :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 10, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna recommend Occulatio and Mott514's LP of Portal 2 or anything from their puzzle-platformer thread. It's two guys named Matt with good chemistry, one blind, one not, trying to puzzle their way through science hoo-ha. They try to articulate their thoughts as they solve the puzzles, and it's fun listening to their train of thought as they go through the game. Plus, it's Portal 2, it's good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You missed and/or ignored the recommendation of Disaster in the last thread, so...

Disaster: Day of Crisis by Coulis and friends - Disaster is a Wii game only released in Japan and Europe that tries to tell a completely serious story about a city suffering from natural disasters, and fails miserably at it on account of having absurd gameplay mechanics and characters. Sadly, the LP was never finished, but the thirteen existing episodes are some of the funniest stuff you can find on these forums.

It doesn't matter it isn't in the OP, as long as it lives in our hearts :france:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

steinrokkan posted:

It doesn't matter it isn't in the OP, as long as it lives in our hearts :france:
It truly is and will forever be the best LP of Disaster; I miss Coulis' LP's quite a bit and wish he didn't host most of them on dead sites (cause I know no one will ever play Clock Tower 2 again).

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Niggurath posted:

It truly is and will forever be the best LP of Disaster; I miss Coulis' LP's quite a bit and wish he didn't host most of them on dead sites (cause I know no one will ever play Clock Tower 2 again).

Coulis did Shadow of the Comet and it's sequel Prisoner of Ice, right? Those are worth watching just because Shadow of the Comet is such a perfect slow build, and then Prisoner of Ice is such a massive shitfit :allears:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Niggurath posted:

(cause I know no one will ever play Clock Tower 2 again)
Had to dig through a pile of DVD-Rs but here you go!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Very much obliged; I still remember the seething hate from Coulis when they had to go through the tedious zombie shooting section. That game was such a wonderful wreck.

cmndstab posted:

Coulis did Shadow of the Comet and it's sequel Prisoner of Ice, right? Those are worth watching just because Shadow of the Comet is such a perfect slow build, and then Prisoner of Ice is such a massive shitfit :allears:
Aye, he did do both of those. The thing I remember most about 'Shadow...' was the semi random deaths that were thrown at the player for just walking around different parts of the town.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That Sprung by slowbeef isn't already on the list is criminal. It is absolutely hilarious; an LP of a mediocre game made funny through clever writing. There's also the Follow Up.

If anyone has a better way to describe this LP for the OP, go ahead.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Niggurath posted:

Very much obliged; I still remember the seething hate from Coulis when they had to go through the tedious zombie shooting section. That game was such a wonderful wreck.

Aye, he did do both of those. The thing I remember most about 'Shadow...' was the semi random deaths that were thrown at the player for just walking around different parts of the town.

For me it's the completely retarded puzzle where you had to know how to develop photographs without any actual in-game prompting, using the right chemicals in the right proportions and the right order.

But despite the game being almost impossible to complete by a normal human being, it had a really good atmosphere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a play through of one of the early Genesis Sonic games (Almost certainly 1 or 2, maybe 3) that was frequently recommended. It was from a compilation that added an easy mode, and the commentator was just really laid back, I know it was recommended several times in the last version of this thread, anyone know what I'm talking about?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Skwirl posted:

There was a play through of one of the early Genesis Sonic games (Almost certainly 1 or 2, maybe 3) that was frequently recommended. It was from a compilation that added an easy mode, and the commentator was just really laid back, I know it was recommended several times in the last version of this thread, anyone know what I'm talking about?
I think you might be referring to this: http://lparchive.org/Sonic-2-Special-Edition/

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I understand that the OP is in a good state currently. But I think that adding this LP under the informative SSLPs would round the list out.

Wizardry 4 by CrookedB - In this completionist LP, Crooked Bee painstakingly documents the ins and outs of Wizardy 4, and classic D&D dungeon crawler.

I say this would round out the list because there have been many significant D&D-based games that have been LP'd in an informative style. Crooked Bee's Wizardry 4 LP stands as one of the best. Surely it could serve as a prototypical example of this type of LP.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Seconding Wizardry. Wizardry IV is a strong contender for "hardest RPG of all times", and not because of the combat but because of the map layouts, traps and other shenanigans. I wasn't able to leave the first room of the game because I hadn't played any of the earlier Wizardry titles, and that's one of the easiest puzzles.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Skwirl posted:

That was Docfuture in Cybershell's Sonic thread. Looks like it's been taken down though.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I would like to reccomend DeadRodents LP of Outlast, A horror game about a journalist investigating an asylum. It is his first LP, and as such, very impressive. His tone is reminiscent of Nigguraths approach to LPing, calm and almost soothing. However, his commentary is scarcer and he takes a more personal approach, to the game, making you feel like he is as scared and freaked out as the protagonist. But calmly.

Anyway, I could try to describe it all day, but the point is, go watch this LP.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Neverwinter Nights 2 and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer by Lt. Danger were among the most recommended LPs in the last thread (and rightly so).
I think they're right up there with the KotoR2 one in the "Must Read SSLP" section.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I have to re-recommend The Void because it's an utterly fantastic LP.

Cannibal9k does a perfect job of showing the game off at the right pace, explaining all of the intracacies of the gameplay mechanics, and demonstrating how to beat the game.
This is an ODD game and I'd never have gotten past the first half hour without throwing my hands in the air and saying WTF? It's also one of the first that I sat through to entirety despite a lot of repetitiveness in the game itself.

After watching that it's exactly how an LP should be - you'll feel like you've played through the game with all the knowledge you'd have if you'd played through yourself previously and afterwards read through fan discussions and commentary.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

I bought The Void because of this LP and have yet to play it because I know I would royally gently caress everything up immediately and I feel like it would taint the awe I have for this game.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, I'm the same way with their older title, Pathologic :staredog: I don't want to play it because it is so... Strange. And hard. But you can't help but respect the game for being so darned DIFFERENT. Pathologic has a SSLP hovering around, I think, but Cannibal's Void LP just hits the nail on the head so drat well. Combine the atmosphere with the absolutely creepy monster-designs and you have an LP that's both laid back and yet scary.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only archived LP of Pathologic is quite unfortunate because it features the third character, which is unlocked only after finishing one of the main two, and therefore assumes you are familiar with the story. Pathologic is actually quite straightforward, and everybody should play it.

E: Also by just reading an LP, you'll miss the really unique atmosphere created by a combination of the excellent soundtrack and navigating the inscrutable infected districts.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 11, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

gatz posted:

I understand that the OP is in a good state currently. But I think that adding this LP under the informative SSLPs would round the list out.

Wizardry 4 by CrookedB - In this completionist LP, Crooked Bee painstakingly documents the ins and outs of Wizardy 4, and classic D&D dungeon crawler.

I say this would round out the list because there have been many significant D&D-based games that have been LP'd in an informative style. Crooked Bee's Wizardry 4 LP stands as one of the best. Surely it could serve as a prototypical example of this type of LP.

I'll third this. The LP is excellent, and the game is exactly the sort of constant ridiculous bullshit that's much more fun to read about than play yourself.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Heffer posted:

I don't disagree with you on any point, but it does seem premature to enshrine them when they're only three updates in.

Ok, you're right. I'll up the ante.

Episode 4-1 contained something I have never seen before in a Let's Play, and I'll wager that you haven't either.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I would like to Recommend Ultigonio's LP of Saira (Youtube playlist, hosted). It's a short LP for a short game, a Puzzle-Platformer by Nifflas (Within a Deep Forest, Knytt) and the LP complements Nifflas' trademark visual style, exploration, and unique soundtracks well. The LP eschews traditional subtitle logic and uses the large, open scenery in many places to create an almost comic book like effect in narration.

I need to close this so I stop rewatching random old videos.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Actually, I'd like to recommend Psychadelic Eyeball's Super Meat Boy LP for the OP as well. It's an extremely challenging platformer, and he and Wugga break it over their respective knees. Psychadelic Eyeball beats the main game, then gives an exhaustive tour of all the best levels people designed for it. (If you thought the original game was hard, you should see Max Jumper...) Meanwhile, Wugga gets the achievements for beating all twenty levels of each world in the game without dying once, which is almost impossible.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

steinrokkan posted:

The only archived LP of Pathologic is quite unfortunate because it features the third character, which is unlocked only after finishing one of the main two, and therefore assumes you are familiar with the story. Pathologic is actually quite straightforward, and everybody should play it.

E: Also by just reading an LP, you'll miss the really unique atmosphere created by a combination of the excellent soundtrack and navigating the inscrutable infected districts.

That's weird, because Brass Monkey finished a Bachelor run but it was never archived. I wonder why?

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

steinrokkan posted:

Buuuut if you definitely don't want to play it and you're looking for a more straightforward LP, revolving around the slightly more straightforward starting characters of the Bachelor and the Haruspicus, it can be found offsite here.

It's a very well-written SSLP/AAR which has two different players playing through the game concurrently as the two different characters. It's amazing how the game shapes their viewpoints, and leaves each of them unable to understand or sympathize with the other's actions. Very worthwhile reading.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's weird, because Brass Monkey finished a Bachelor run but it was never archived. I wonder why?

I guess it was before the Archive became popular? Anyway, the pictures are dead now.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I kinda wish there were more glitch-based LPs; the only ones I can think of are Pokemon Blue and FF6. Never read the Pokemon one because I don't like Pokemon, but I've heard good things. The FF6 one, though, is an absolute blast. It's mostly based around one glitch, the Airship glitch, but it's amazing how one glitch can mess a game up so, so thoroughly.

I forgot about that one! It's also pretty great, although it's a little hard to follow if you don't already know the game, but that's true of all the glitch LPs.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 12, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

I kinda wish there were more glitch-based LPs; the only ones I can think of are Pokemon Blue and FF6. Never read the Pokemon one because I don't like Pokemon, but I've heard good things. The FF6 one, though, is an absolute blast. It's mostly based around one glitch, the Airship glitch, but it's amazing how one glitch can mess a game up so, so thoroughly.
Have you had a chance to see this LP then: http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Links-Awakening/

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Final Fantasy II by Gabriel Pope isn't a glitch LP per se, but the way he bends its shoddy, terrible coding over its knee is quite impressive :frog:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

I guess it was before the Archive became popular? Anyway, the pictures are dead now.

Anyway, I've just listened to the Pathologic OST, and must re-emphasize that it's THE game with the best integration of audio and visual design I've ever played. It's haunting not because of the story, but mostly because the entire world, and all the sensory input it produces, is just ever so slightly twisted compared to what you would expect, and it produces a constant tension, a constant feeling of dread. Play Pathologic rather than reading an LP, it's worth it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A lot of the resistance comes from the terrible translation.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

You might like this one:

http://www.letsplayforum.net/showthread.php?4684-Let-s-Break-Final-Fantasy-IV

Not much else on that site is really worthwhile, but the FF4 bug they show off is pretty nuts. It's one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Pretty sure there was a "glitch old nes/snes games megathread" a while back. Pretty sure it's on LP archive. I'll link it when I'm not on my mobile.