Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

If you like e-golf and/or e-sports in general you might enjoy Ribbit King as much as I am.
It's Pins' first LP and I think he is doing a pretty great job so far, and he has really good chemistry with his fellow co-commentators! It starts a little rough around the edges but I think it's a very good first step into LPing and everyone should give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It most definitely isn't his firfrolf

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Camel Pimp posted:

I kinda wish there were more glitch-based LPs; the only ones I can think of are Pokemon Blue and FF6. Never read the Pokemon one because I don't like Pokemon, but I've heard good things. The FF6 one, though, is an absolute blast. It's mostly based around one glitch, the Airship glitch, but it's amazing how one glitch can mess a game up so, so thoroughly.

Have you seen Just a Friend's LPs of Spyro 2 and Spyro 3? He does regular playthroughs of each level and then he completely tears them apart with glitches and out of bounds stuff.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ursus Veritas posted:

Have you seen Just a Friend's LPs of Spyro 2 and Spyro 3? He does regular playthroughs of each level and then he completely tears them apart with glitches and out of bounds stuff.
Seconded. Especially Aquaria Towers. It's a work of art.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

steinrokkan posted:

It most definitely isn't his firfrolf

Quiet you.

Anyway, for my reccomendations I'm gonna throw out a couple that are pretty funny.

First up we got Resident Evil 1 2 3 and Code Veronica by DO IT TO IT and company. I really miss these guys and wish they would come back and finish Jade Empire but it is not meant to be apparently. DO IT TO IT and his friends have a great dynamic and have pumped out some of the funniest things I've ever watched in this subforum and are highly underrated. http://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-1-3-CVX/

Then we got Call of Juarez: The Cartel by Habermann which is an ABYSMAL game. Not only is it buggy as poo poo, nothing happening in it makes ANY sense at all. All three of the protagonists are disgusting human beings, and, well, there's nothing else I can really say that isn't in the OP. http://lparchive.org/Call-of-Juarez-The-Cartel/

And finally, from The Unfunny Fuckers who Make Up The Unfunny Fuckers we have GTA: San Andreas featuring Roosevelt, Cherrydoom, Drakkel, and Rock Tumbler. (NOTE: Viddler is dead you gotta watch the Internet Archive versions.) Some of the poo poo that happens in this LP is outstanding. From the DDR Car Mission at the start of the game, which I will not spoil because I don't want to ruin the surprise, to the adventures of Satchie the Satchel Charge, it is a hilarious romp through the magical land of Pretend California. http://lparchive.org/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-%28Video%29/

Mico fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 12, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Here's some finished LPs from LPF I really enjoyed. While most of us from LPF are on SA as well some just aren't, which deprives you of some genuinely great LPs.

Hitman: Contracts by Sabateini: Sab knows the game really well which shows in his commentary and gameplay. He focuses on showing several approaches to each Level too, which is a big draw of the game.

Just Cause 2 by Speedyard: Speedyard does a great job of showing us why the game is fun with his entertaining commentary. The first two or so episodes are a little weaker than the rest but they still are far from bad.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In terms of two person commentary I suggest checking out Nine Gear Crow and Blind Sally playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Really high effort, great commentator chemistry and the guys know what they are doing more than I did when the game came out.

Also worth checking out: War for Cybertron by Coolguye and LastRoboKy and their rotating third person. Co-op and co-commentary with a bit of amazing glitch moments and weirdness run by two really entertaining LPers.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I just remembered two great LPs of hilariously bad games.

http://lparchive.org/The-Sniper-2/

quote:

The Sniper 2 is a budget title released for the PS2 in 2002, although it’s not apparent it was released for the platform when you actually look at it. It looks bad, it plays bad, and there’s little in the way of redeeming qualities other than it’s good for a laugh.

http://lparchive.org/Stolen/

quote:

Stolen is a 2005 attempt at cashing in on the relative popularity of the stealth genre. It does this, naturally, by stealing mechanics from other games but with none of the talent that made those mechanics work.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

I'm wondering whether there would be any interest in a sort of "which particular LP did you watch first / what got you into LP's" thread-or-discussion? Because I've always wondered what works for different people as really the first thing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

In terms of two person commentary I suggest checking out Nine Gear Crow and Blind Sally playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Really high effort, great commentator chemistry and the guys know what they are doing more than I did when the game came out.

Plus we cover the entire Shadows of the Empire meta-franchise; everything from the comics, to the SotE novel, to that one mission in X-Wing Alliance that intersects with the SotE storyline.

Thanks again for the shout out, by thr way.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A lot of the resistance comes from the terrible translation.

Well, and Pathologic is a game that is deliberately designed for an experience that's pretty far from fun. Which is not to say it's not fantastic, because it is. Just that enjoying yourself isn't the point of the game.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
follow this el Pee it's cool and he has some cool projects comming on i know the guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2HPYL4QuufNYZ5T8TSXNHw

AssailantLF
Dec 2, 2013

serious norman posted:

follow this el Pee it's cool and he has some cool projects comming on i know the guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2HPYL4QuufNYZ5T8TSXNHw

So it's like amateur let's play without commentary? Sorry, I just don't understand the appeal or why he labelled them as LPs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AssailantLF posted:

So it's like amateur let's play without commentary? Sorry, I just don't understand the appeal or why he labelled them as LPs.

They're mere Ps.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I became an LP fan with The Dark Id's Drakengard LP, due to the sheer :wtc: factor of the whole thing and the buddy cop shenanigans with Caim and Angelus; Any Dark Id LP is fun, but that's my personal favorite.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
Are there any decent LP's about of the first three Splinter Cell games? SC1, Chaos Theory and Pandora tomorrow all have dead links on the Archive. I've been looking on youtube and a bunch of the ones I've found aren't really all that good.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Migeman posted:

Are there any decent LP's about of the first three Splinter Cell games? SC1, Chaos Theory and Pandora tomorrow all have dead links on the Archive. I've been looking on youtube and a bunch of the ones I've found aren't really all that good.

Splinter Cell 1 and Pandora Tomorrow:

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Maybe someone should float the idea to baldurk to make that banner a different color so it doesn't blend in as much

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Are Dead to Rights and Devil May Cry 3 working for anyone else? Both gave me Video Not Found errors.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Squish posted:

Are Dead to Rights and Devil May Cry 3 working for anyone else? Both gave me Video Not Found errors.

Dead to Rights videos work fine as long as you pick the host that isn't Viddler, since Viddler is functionally dead.

For DMC3 you gotta click the big old Internet Archive banner that we were talking about just moments ago.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Squish posted:

I think we may need to make this banner an auto-reply for this thread. Having it on the pages in the LP archive and in the OP of this thread and two posts up on this thread clearly isn't enough for some people.

As for Dead To Rights, which happens not to have that banner, the baldurdash links are working for me.

Edit: Bah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squish posted:

Try these
Dead to Rights

DMC3

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

my dad posted:

Splinter Cell 1 and Pandora Tomorrow:

I'm a loving idiot. Thank you.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there any decent LP of the Ace Combat series either on SA or elsewhere? youtube and the master list lead to nothing but a bunch of dead links.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's yet to be done I'm afraid, but I think someone was playing Belkan War a while back. I don't think he finished it since it's not on the LPArchive. As for outside SA I'm only familiar with runs of the PS2 games and nobody covering the PSX ones in-detail, especially AC3.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Mico posted:

Maybe someone should float the idea to baldurk to make that banner a different color so it doesn't blend in as much

I'm gonna agree with this. People miss it often enough that there's obviously a real visibility problem that can't just be attributed to people not paying enough attention.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think the problem is that it looks so much like a banner ad that people reflexively ignore it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It might be a bit of banner blindness, but for me, it's really the fact that all the update links are below in the actual content of the page, and the Internet Archive link is above. It almost looks like a header. I'm just not looking in that area when I go to watch the updates.

I do wonder how much of the archive could be replaced by a link to a YouTube Playlist and an Internet Archive link, though. Perhaps we should have those as standard features at the top of every archived LP.

Moving it to where the update links normally are and giving it a gray background would help a lot more than reshaping it to be less banner-y.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Mico posted:

And finally, from The Unfunny Fuckers who Make Up The Unfunny Fuckers we have GTA: San Andreas featuring Roosevelt, Cherrydoom, Drakkel, and Rock Tumbler. (NOTE: Viddler is dead you gotta watch the Internet Archive versions.) Some of the poo poo that happens in this LP is outstanding. From the DDR Car Mission at the start of the game, which I will not spoil because I don't want to ruin the surprise, to the adventures of Satchie the Satchel Charge, it is a hilarious romp through the magical land of Pretend California. http://lparchive.org/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-%28Video%29/

This LP was great. I am always a fan of Roosevelt's editing decisions, most notably in the episode where he tries to kill Jizzy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Man, has anybody bothered to archive the Harry Potter LPs by Rossevelt?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

For pretty much the same reasons, I want to recommend nine-gear-crow's group-therapy thread that the White Knight Chronicles LP is becoming. High effort (unlike the game itself) and very funny writing as well. It is also fun how the spectators and NGC can come up with better plots for the game than the loving producer/writer Akihiro "Hack" Hino

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The Psychonauts LP by Sethur provides a ludicrously in-depth look at a game that is frequently referred to as the most underrated game ever. I haven't seen an LP be so thorough at getting everything out of a game.

Ariong posted:

I have to recommend two of my favorite LPs, Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 by Taisan. (NOT ANIME) I checked the last thread and saw that slowbeef recommended one in the second post, but it deserves restating in the new thread.

They are about a genre of games which are not good for LPing, primarily because there's usually not much to say about music games besides "Hitting these dots is tough" and "Boy, this song is good"! Taisan sets this one apart with his hilarious writing. Instead of just translating from japanese to english, he creates his own story which is genuinely quite funny. This is on top of the game itself being very enjoyable, with excellent music. Each episode comes with two music links. One for the in-game track and another for the original version, very hand and much appreciated.

The LP is a subtitle LP with subtitles both for Taisan's commentary as well as separate subtitles "translating" the mid-level dialogue. The cutscenes are delivered with pictures and word bubbles, but Taisan dubs his voice over them.

For rhythm game LPs, I would recommend RJWaters2's Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy. Basically the most solid LPs for a genre that you really can't do much with LP.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

steinrokkan posted:

Man, has anybody bothered to archive the Harry Potter LPs by Rossevelt?

If so I need them.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
I'll toss in some of my favorite screenshot LPs. I've found that since many these days associate "Let's Play" with VLPs by default, SSLPs are a good 'icebreaker' to introduce people to the medium. Not helped by YouTube one bit, I'm sure seeing yet another horrible facecam VLPer on the "Recommended" list is a quick way to create the view that that's what LPing is. Plenty of excellent VLPs here already, so it goes without saying that there's much higher quality stuff than many may think.

Boatmurdered: This is so obvious a suggestion that it feels like a "well yeah, duh" moment to say it. But that's exactly why it should be addressed. Boatmurdered is probably one of the most well-known SSLPs for a good reason, and it's arguably Dwarf Fortress' !!welcome mat!!. Toady One, DF's sole programmer, read it and thought it was hysterical apparently. Hype aside, this LP shows off what Dwarf Fortress is at its core far better than you might think possible. The ASCII graphics are difficult to interpret, but the general color of tiles is recognizable enough even to people who've never seen the game before, and it's really the commentary that matters. How many LPs result in jokes for years to come in their game communities, and how many wind up getting items made in homage to them in Diablo III for that matter?

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced: Orange Fluffy Sheep has been mentioned already, but the FFT games are of especial note. This can be best summarized as 'absolutely destroying a fun to play game via complete abuse of exploits and then gleefully making fun of how dumb the story is'. I recommend this before the actual FFT game, as he did the LPs in that order and FFT makes a few throwback jokes to FFTA.

Final Fantasy Tactics: And on that note, FFT itself. Once again, OFS and FFT have something of an abusive relationship. OFS adores the game, but expresses his affection through completely destroying the difficulty curve and making an absolute mockery of everything it attempts to throw at him. For those who know the game well: No, he's more creative than just spamming Math Skill. If you want to see the hardest fights in the game ended in seconds due to bizarre stat setups and sucker punches, treating elder dragons and pigs like Pokemon, and teleporting fire/ice/what gun-toting buttpants that put Mario to shame in jumping nonsense, this is the one for you!

Hatoful Boyfriend: Yes, the pigeon dating sim you may have heard of. This game premise is so absolutely ridiculous that it's worth at least a cursory glance to confirm that "oh my god, this really is a dating sim game featuring photorealistic pigeons". If you think that the gimmick premise is all it has going for it, you're very wrong! It has excellent writing and genuine entertainment. Now, full disclosure, I'd attempted to LP the game myself for a while but got frustrated with how long updates took to make due to such heavy emphasis on dialogue. ChorpSaway, the LPer there on the archive, had far more patience and took a hands-off approach. The game is gloriously funny (and yet can achieve the rare feat of making the player actually care about the cast) in its own right, so he mostly just focuses on showing its charm as much as possible without intruding much over it. A sequel LP is currently in the works on the forums. This can best be summed up as "a weird as hell Japanese dating sim game that is fully aware of how bizarre it is, revels in it, and manages to be genuinely entertaining without using the silly premise as a crutch." You might think that pigeon jokes are the only source of funnies this game has, but that's quite incorrect. The characterization is excellent, the game is funny, and among the dating options introduced in the first 5 minutes, we have a sociopathic school nurse (whose presence is always accompanied by Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy), a pudding fanatic, the manliest suave ladykiller possible, a melancholic bookworm, and all sorts of others. ChorpSaway goes on to, at the end of every route, break down which dating sim character archetypes are being mixed together while providing demographic data to show what tends to be popular, which assists in understanding how the parody works for those of us who've never touched any other game in the genre.

Limbo of the Lost: The Dark ID plays a game with atrocious writing, graphi-gently caress it, EVERYTHING IS poo poo in Limbo of the Lost. Bonus points for it stealing resources from other games, so you get to play a very unusual game of I Spy while it goes on. Combine this with a completely unsympathetic sociopath of a protagonist, arbitrary stupid events that seem to only exist to be stupid and pointless, and a rich orchard full of screenshots ripe for forum avatar harvest due to how horribly the in-game models are handled. You get the quick sense that the developers did this game as some kind of scam or money laundering scheme for the better part of a decade and then shat out what we see here in about the course of a weekend. And because The Dark ID is the one LPing it, the result is inevitable.

Silent Hill: Yes, From Earth's originals. It turns out that Silent Hill doesn't translate to SS format very well, the games end up a lot funnier in this state than they have any reason to be. The result is a great example of the tried-and-true LP formula of "the game is taking itself seriously while everyone else is laughing at it". Also notable for being from that "prehistoric" era of very early LPs, to the point that I think it was something like From Earth was actually the original LPArchive host, for these games themselves, before baldurk was handed administration of it.

The You Testament: By General Ironicus with the first game, featuring Jesus, Charlie Brown, mutated models, and texture swap antics with Daeren handling the sequel about the life of Muhammad. Now, religious games have plenty to poke fun at depending on how they're treated and made, but these were the forums' first real exposure to the glory of MDickie. What happens when you take a wrestling-obsessed fundie who may have had a bright future as a Bethesda programmer if he weren't such an egotistic rear end in a top hat? This. MDickie may or may not in fact be Uwe Boll, I know I've never seen the two of them in the same room ever.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Epee Em posted:

The You Testament: By General Ironicus with the first game, featuring Jesus, Charlie Brown, mutated models, and texture swap antics with Daeren handling the sequel about the life of Muhammad. Now, religious games have plenty to poke fun at depending on how they're treated and made, but these were the forums' first real exposure to the glory of MDickie. What happens when you take a wrestling-obsessed fundie who may have had a bright future as a Bethesda programmer if he weren't such an egotistic rear end in a top hat? This. MDickie may or may not in fact be Uwe Boll, I know I've never seen the two of them in the same room ever.

Just thought I should mention that MDickie isn't a Fundamentalist. He seems to believe in some odd flavor of New Age Unitarianism, though he's still a smug rear end in a top hat who reads some very zany ideas into both the Bible and the Koran.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mico posted:

If so I need them.

I just checked, I have 12.5 GB of unsorted and probably incomplete RooseveltMD footage, if someone wants that to upload to Youtube or something I'll see if I can up it somewhere.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It should also be noted that General Ironicus ended up getting too pissed off by the game's bullshit to finish it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Epee Em posted:

I'll toss in some of my favorite screenshot LPs. I've found that since many these days associate "Let's Play" with VLPs by default, SSLPs are a good 'icebreaker' to introduce people to the medium. Not helped by YouTube one bit, I'm sure seeing yet another horrible facecam VLPer on the "Recommended" list is a quick way to create the view that that's what LPing is. Plenty of excellent VLPs here already, so it goes with

While more attention to good sslp's is great, I don't think a single thing in the OP has a face cam.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Just thought I should mention that MDickie isn't a Fundamentalist. He seems to believe in some odd flavor of New Age Unitarianism, though he's still a smug rear end in a top hat who reads some very zany ideas into both the Bible and the Koran.

If Jesus is the son of god in the game, he's not a Unitarian. He could be some other weird protestant sect though.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Ultima IX LP by Jewmander was amazing but it was all hosted on viddler.

Here is the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365571&pagenumber=1

Please tell me there is a way to get that sweet sweet jazz again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO66VFflssQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Skwirl posted:

While more attention to good sslp's is great, I don't think a single thing in the OP has a face cam.

I think he meant such videos showing up as recommended for people on Youtube, not in the OP.

On the topic of good SSLPs, House Hohenzollern Rising is easily the best completed Paradox LP and gives an excellent alt-history narrative following the Hohenzollerns (historically the ruling family of Prussia and the German Empire) from a single county in Swabia through 900 years and 4 games, with a ton of effort put into good conversions and interesting events.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 14, 2014