Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
On the note of suggestions, perhaps we could include images with some of these recommendations and write them in a way that baldurk can use them as actual Featured LP blurbs on the archive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Integrating with with LPArchive.org? That sounds like a potential headache for Baldurk, I figure. The dude already has more than enough on his plate, and I'd rather not press him for anymore than he's already doing for the subforum :staredog:

The list at the front is a general listing, nothing more. I'm honestly not planning on changing it, outside of maybe some header-blurb for recommended ongoing LPs. But that's something for another day.

I mostly wanted to flush the old thread and get some sort of list together, which folks had floated the notion of previously. I'm pretty okay with things as-is.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Epee Em posted:

On the note of suggestions, perhaps we could include images with some of these recommendations and write them in a way that baldurk can use them as actual Featured LP blurbs on the archive?

Geop posted:

I'm pretty okay with things as-is.

What if someone were to remake your OP in this thread, add said images with links to lparchive.org/YouTube playlists where applicable, and post it here. Then if it were a nicer OP, or something more informative, you could just copy/paste it.

Alternatively, if it's too much clutter, you could roll your eyes and say "leave me alone nerds."

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, if someone wants to re-write it or something like that, then that'd be okay too :v: I'm just kind of at an "ehh, whatever" point. I just wanted to do a bit of "spring cleaning" with an added item or two, not start some huge thread undertaking of sorts (didn't plan on a bunch of other requests/ideas). Kind of concerned with the list becoming more cluttered/massive in size, really, so I'm gunshy about graphical stuff.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

Oh, not as something to shove onto the poor guy's list of things to do, I just was under the impression that baldurk appreciated it when people provided those blurbs, either when submitting an LP to the archive or just as a contribution so he didn't have to do so himself. If that's not the case, nothing to worry about. Since we're already talking about why particular LPs are worth viewing, it seemed like a reasonable idea to make these recommendations usable on the archive if that'd be helpful. That's all, I absolutely didn't mean that as a "more work for people already doing a lot of it" thing.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Epee Em posted:

Oh, not as something to shove onto the poor guy's list of things to do, I just was under the impression that baldurk appreciated it when people provided those blurbs, either when submitting an LP to the archive or just as a contribution so he didn't have to do so himself. If that's not the case, nothing to worry about. Since we're already talking about why particular LPs are worth viewing, it seemed like a reasonable idea to make these recommendations usable on the archive if that'd be helpful. That's all, I absolutely didn't mean that as a "more work for people already doing a lot of it" thing.

Well, that's kinda why I suggested doing some of the legwork. It's no big deal, I was trying to be helpful!!!!!!

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

I forget how to check if some are featured already, however, and I think a few are. Some of the descriptions will need a bit of editing to fit in the blurbs, but here's an example of a few, one from each of the categories in Geop's intro:

Deadly Premonition - A few years dated, but it shows the kind of game that's much more fun to watch than actually play. SGF knows this game a bit too well, but that results in a clear look at what makes DP memorably bizarre. Calling it bizarre is an understatement, really.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Hands-down the most informative LP you're likely to find for this game. Chip explains how to play this game well along with the basic features, and also shows off a perfect-ranked playthrough on a hard-but-not-tedious difficulty. Also a good example of the "Chip and Ironicus" overall LP dynamic, so it's a good introduction to what they do.

Resident Evil 5 - RChimpCola and Sinatrapod make this easily one of the funniest LPs on the archive. Featuring the Legend of Spaghetti, eggs, Capcom's usual ridiculous writing, and all the jokes that naturally ensue whenever a game as unintentionally goofy as Resident Evil 5 is involved.

Cold Fear - Not only a really well done subtitled LP, but includes a set of Extreme mode videos, and Giragast basically takes the game apart to show you the tricks and methods the developers used to make the game do what it does, which is pretty unique. Survival Horror as a genre lends itself to being subtitled, and this is an LP that provides technical analysis without intruding upon the actual atmosphere of the game.

Kirby's Epic Yarn - This is one of the most calm LPs you'll find around. Medibot and Kaz play through the game in co-op mode and just have such a darned relaxing, fun time with it all. One of the best LPs for just winding a night down and watching internet videos before going to bed.

The Girl Games Megathread - Girl games are horrible. Absolutely terrible. Watch as DeviousVacuum and a megathread's worth of other contributors play through dozens of horrendous bright pink, glittery flash games including how to date the cutest boy and blasting growths in your nose. I'm serious.

The World Ends with You - One of the best JRPG to come from Square in the last years. The game drops the usual fantasy setting for modern-day Tokyo and changes potions into hamburgers, equipment into garish fashion statements and angst into the most entertainingly smug character in the history of videogames. OFS does a great job of showing everything the game has to offer, up to and including the post-game, and as usual optimizing/breaking things in amusing ways.

(I think most of the Narrative SSLPs have Featured blurbs already? The only one on Geop's list I'm familiar with is Animal Crossing, and I know that one does.)

Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm loving this poo poo!

Would these be the sorts of things that'd be useful?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Epee Em posted:

I forget how to check if some are featured already

The list of games with blurbs is at lparchive.org/blurbs. I don't think there's a way to see which games need blurbs other than seeing if it's NOT on that list. Remember that the blurb images should be 160x120.

Geop posted:

Final Fantasy XII IZJS by BrainWeasel - An incredibly informative subtitled VLP of, in my opinion, an under-rated game with a very unique presentation. (Recommended by Ilyich)

Huh, wow. Okay. Not to self-promote, but can I ask for an addition to this recommendation, that people with archives should read the original thread where possible? The LP had fantastic thread participation, both in the essay contests and general between-update discussion and analysis, that really made the LP what it was but was too much to archive.

Actual recommendations -- I really enjoy Smite's Rogue Legacy, PsychBalls' Super Meat Boy, and the ongoing JadeStar XCOM guide. I really like video LPs where somebody makes a difficult game look easy, as well as deconstruction-y stuff that expose the gears and wires behind the game, and that applies to all three of those.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

As much as I like unfair's work on other games, his Deus Ex LPs put me right to sleep. Did anyone ese ever do these, hopefully with more energetic commentary?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sociopastry posted:

As much as I like unfair's work on other games, his Deus Ex LPs put me right to sleep. Did anyone ese ever do these, hopefully with more energetic commentary?

Bobbin Threadbare is doing an LP of the first Deus Ex - He also has an extra section at the end of each episode where he talks about the conspiracy theories, books, and scientific/technological advances that provided inspiration for the game's story.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Killer, dude, thanks. I love bobbin, he's got some good poo poo.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Timid posted:

Are there any not terrible video LPs of The Sims 3?

Most of the ones I find on Youtube are either basically vlogs, or are just uninteresting in general

Its off SA but the Stream Friends are doing a Sims 3 series on twitch (link goes to the youtube archive) because one of their members has never played a Sims game. Its a little vlog-y but I like this one because they are starting with the vanilla game and adding an expansion every couple of streaming sessions, and its really fun to have someone in the videos who has never played the sims 3 before and seeing her reactions to the weird things that sims often do that most of us are used to already.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
You know what LPs I used to love? Screenshot LPs of interesting adventure games. A couple years back, The Dark Id did a series called The Blackwell Legacy about a spirit medium and her ghost guide helping the dead be at peace and all that. It took place in New York City, and was developed by Wadget Eye Games, makers of another game with a great LP, The Shivah.

cmndstab later took up the helm and made his own Blackwell Legacy thread which covers games that TDI didn't. If you're not familiar with this series, and my last couple sentences didn't sell you, it's a game about :

Ghosts!

Demons!

Ethereal Jerks!

Danger! (Achievements!)

cmndstab also supplements things with animations and thoughts from the developer (which I love in LPs). So click that link and get to readin' if you're looking for a good time.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

A lot of times folks here ask for a chill LP that can be watched in the background while doing work or studying, or just before turning in for the night. I'd like to suggest Stonekeep done by davidspackage
It's an old first person party based dungeon crawler in the style of Eye of the Beholder and the recent Legend of Grimrock. The videos run pretty long but I never remember getting bored or distracted while watching. It also features some very dated live-action spritework and practical effects make-up that lends an amusing amount of charm to the game. I actually looked forward to each time Wahooka showed up.

There's a lot of terrible 90's era CGI too, though, so look forward to that.

The game itsself was sorta kinda the pinnacle of first-person grid based dungeon crawlers in terms of gameplay at the time. It has innovative little bits and bobs that are pretty impressive in an 20 year old game. Stuff like evading projectiles by turning to the side since you party occupied the "back" of whatever grid square you were on. All in all a fun watch. Give it a shot.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Seeing Lowtax's thread stickied made me wonder what the possibility of maybe doing something like stickying highly recommended running threads for a week at a time. I have no idea how you would really make the call on what should or shouldn't be up for consideration, but it could help boost visibility for a good thread or two that posters are overlooking.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

Seeing Lowtax's thread stickied made me wonder what the possibility of maybe doing something like stickying highly recommended running threads for a week at a time. I have no idea how you would really make the call on what should or shouldn't be up for consideration, but it could help boost visibility for a good thread or two that posters are overlooking.

Weekly poll, top 3 get recommended?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Weekly poll, top 3 get recommended?

Don't know what that would do that "sort by thread rating" wouldn't.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BrainWeasel posted:

Don't know what that would do that "sort by thread rating" wouldn't.

Thread ratings gets skewed when you have the much older ones always at the top, don't they?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
How do the ratings work anyways? Like, how many votes does a thread need before its rating becomes visible? Cause unranked threads dont appear when you sort by rating.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I thought the point was less to put LPs that are already popular into the spotlight, but more to show the more overlooked but still great LPs you can find occasionally.
So maybe exclude threads that have gone gold? Or have a visible rating? (Dunno how many votes it takes for one to appear)

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It takes 50. It used to take more for LP, but now it doesn't.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It takes 50 votes for a rating to appear on LP threads.

e: f;b

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any good humorous screenshot lps?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

Any good humorous screenshot lps?

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537033

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hold up, this went up on the archives a few days ago.

http://lparchive.org/Dekiru-Otoko-no-Mote-Life/

Also gonna throw out a recommendation for Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal, but while the first half is gold, it does kind of taper off midway through.

http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Vietnamese-Crystal/

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IGgy IGsen posted:

I thought the point was less to put LPs that are already popular into the spotlight, but more to show the more overlooked but still great LPs you can find occasionally.
So maybe exclude threads that have gone gold? Or have a visible rating? (Dunno how many votes it takes for one to appear)

That was sort of the idea. I know that this is a recommendations thread, but I think a lot of the posts here are of people suggesting LPs to people who have already asked for something specific, like the "humorous screenshot LP" request Kurtofan made that got responses.

Posters here do suggest a pretty good run of LPs to watch, either on their own or as a response to requests. I don't know how well thought out the idea was when I posted it, but basically I was wondering if there was a way to give visibility to a thread that was producing good content but not getting a lot of attention. Looking back it seems like the idea of a weekly sticky and the process behind getting it set up could be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist as this is already a recommendations thread.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ChaosArgate posted:

Hold up, this went up on the archives a few days ago.

http://lparchive.org/Dekiru-Otoko-no-Mote-Life/

Also gonna throw out a recommendation for Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal, but while the first half is gold, it does kind of taper off midway through.

http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Vietnamese-Crystal/

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I would like to recommend Razage's Space Station 13 thread. Watch and let Razage's dulcet tones whisk you into space. Where human-flesh hamburgers, butt robots, sax solo's and segway accidents are the norm.

It really is a great way to unwind and have a chuckle.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's also a really nice thing to just listen to if you're having trouble sleeping or whatever. Not a knock against it, though; it's both interesting, exciting and remarkably relaxing.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Dragonatrix posted:

It's also a really nice thing to just listen to if you're having trouble sleeping or whatever. Not a knock against it, though; it's both interesting, exciting and remarkably relaxing.

I tried doing that, but I kept finding myself too interested in reading the chat and it backfired.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I also recommend it. I've only seen the first few and have been too busy to keep up, but theyve been hilarious and it's a fascinating game I've never taken the time to play. Worth it if only to have a greater appreciation for those stories you read in griefing threads.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sneaky Fast posted:

I would like to recommend Razage's Space Station 13 thread. Watch and let Razage's dulcet tones whisk you into space. Where human-flesh hamburgers, butt robots, sax solo's and segway accidents are the norm.

It really is a great way to unwind and have a chuckle.

Could I convince you to throw in a link?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Could I convince you to throw in a link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568045

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Chewbot's new LP is a narrative made out of the old Microsoft dos game, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and I would say it is the best LP on the subforum right now. Every update, Chewbot gives us clues on the case and the readers have to solve the mystery for the story to progress. If we don't, the story goes in the wrong direction. Chewbots an awesome writer and the thread is already off to a great start.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

You know what LPs I used to love? Screenshot LPs of interesting adventure games. A couple years back, The Dark Id did a series called The Blackwell Legacy about a spirit medium and her ghost guide helping the dead be at peace and all that. It took place in New York City, and was developed by Wadget Eye Games, makers of another game with a great LP, The Shivah.

Also the developer, Dave Gilbert, has stopped into this completed LP and is answering questions, and I love when that happens to an LP.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Chewbot's new LP is a narrative made out of the old Microsoft dos game, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and I would say it is the best LP on the subforum right now. Every update, Chewbot gives us clues on the case and the readers have to solve the mystery for the story to progress. If we don't, the story goes in the wrong direction. Chewbots an awesome writer and the thread is already off to a great start.

And it just started but yeah, this is something incredible. I don't really want to spoil the uniqueness of this Let's Play, but it's going to be apparent from Update 1 and so far it's only getting more interesting.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I know I'm a complete newbie (first post being wasted here ;p) but I'd like to recommend NicoB7700 and his varied LPs.

In particular NicoB7700's current LP, Persona 4: Golden, is almost complete now, but it's funny as all hell and he's great at giving voice to the characters and throwing out theories about who did what. He tends to go into these games blind and stays away from spoilers so that his viewers can watching him experience the twists and turns first-hand. He's also pretty goofy and has a great, silly sense of humour. His voice isn't cringe-worthy, in fact he's quite skilled a mimicry and attempts to match VAs if there are any in the game (as there are in Persona 4: Golden). He also does a lot of editing to his videos so that they are of a high quality, removing dead air and keeping things interesting. He's also great at picking up cues within games and it's a lot of fun watching him as he gets attached to the characters and thus his reactions to plot twists are especially great. His current LP of P4: Golden is his best so far and he's accidentally almost perfected the game.

It's worth checking out his other LPs, too - especially ones like Corpse Party, 999: Nine hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Dangan Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. He's good at voice acting and does so for most games that don't have good VAs (usually with hilarious results) and tends to have recurring jokes/characters/voices. He's also a pretty nice guy all up and usually has two games on the go at a time, with pretty frequent updates. Personally I prefer him over some of the other LPers I watch like Brickroad (no hard feelings if you're here, bro), DeceasedCrab and HCBailly.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 31, 2014

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Read things before you post. Lots of things. For a long while.

Then post.

Maybe.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Teledahn posted:

Read things before you post. Lots of things. For a long while.

Then post.

Maybe.

I read the thread. All of it. Then I wrote up the post, double checked it against other posts in the thread and double-checked the rules of the thread. Saw nothing wrong, posted. Did I break some rule that says your first post must be made somewhere, or forget to offer sacrifice to some dread God of some sort that is required before posting? I didn't read that anywhere and I made sure to read the rules before posting. So... not being rude, but what's the issue Teledahn?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

silversatyr posted:

I read the thread. All of it. Then I wrote up the post, double checked it against other posts in the thread and double-checked the rules of the thread. Saw nothing wrong, posted. Did I break some rule that says your first post must be made somewhere, or forget to offer sacrifice to some dread God of some sort that is required before posting? I didn't read that anywhere and I made sure to read the rules before posting. So... not being rude, but what's the issue Teledahn?

http://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Well, let's see here, you've got a few things going for you:
  • You know how to use punctuation.
  • You actually use said punctuation.
  • You didn't post immediately after registering.
  • No catchphrases or silly internet jabber.

Congrats! You're better than most new arrivals, at least the visible ones that post immediately and don't know what's going on. Sadly, your recommendation sounds like precisely the sort of LPer that is not quite entirely appreciated fully in these parts and thereby shows a lack of awareness of the sub-forum environment. Hence my suggestion.

This is all not to say that you cannot become a respected member of the community, (Note, there are no respected members, only those slightly less made-fun-of.) with time and taking a look around here or there you can come to appreciate all SA has to offer. (This is perhaps the most important point, there's a huge amount of content here, venture beyond LP to see.)

Making fun of those new folk that just registered and cannot seem to wait to post is something of a tradition around here, explaining the vaguely insulting list above and perhaps somewhat unhelpful initial reply. No terribly hard feelings.

Go forth and read.