Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Teledahn posted:

Well, let's see here, you've got a few things going for you:
  • You know how to use punctuation.
  • You actually use said punctuation.
  • You didn't post immediately after registering.
  • No catchphrases or silly internet jabber.

Congrats! You're better than most new arrivals, at least the visible ones that post immediately and don't know what's going on. Sadly, your recommendation sounds like precisely the sort of LPer that is not quite entirely appreciated fully in these parts and thereby shows a lack of awareness of the sub-forum environment. Hence my suggestion.

This is all not to say that you cannot become a respected member of the community, (Note, there are no respected members, only those slightly less made-fun-of.) with time and taking a look around here or there you can come to appreciate all SA has to offer. (This is perhaps the most important point, there's a huge amount of content here, venture beyond LP to see.)

Making fun of those new folk that just registered and cannot seem to wait to post is something of a tradition around here, explaining the vaguely insulting list above and perhaps somewhat unhelpful initial reply. No terribly hard feelings.

Go forth and read.
:goonsay:

We've had a section here for off-site LPs before, so I'm pretty sure it fits just as well. A character insert VLP of Persona 4 isn't my thing but maybe it works for someone else, if you aren't able to get into either one of the well done screenshot LPs. Dogpile on the newbie just sounds like elitist bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no you see he recommended a bad LP, truly he is not fit to have paid $10 to post on an internet forum.

If he lurks, perhaps one day he can be the kind of quality poster who writes five paragraphs about being a quality poster.

e: I take back my defending him.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 31, 2014

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
@Teledahn: Thanks for explaining. I'll be sure to add a bit more information about the LP in general as it is of good quality (just with a more humourous bent than typical completionist LPs usually are.) I'll also endeavour to keep reading and be a decent newbie too. o7

@dscruffy1: Thank you for pointing that out. I was going to do so in this post as well - part of the topic rule states that it's alright to post an off-site LP if it is of good quality. ^.^

@Cake Attack: I shall lurk the hell out of these forums and none can stop me. Muahahahahaha~ Also, 'she'. ^.^)b

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
very epic #greatpost, +1 karma from ~~me~~ o_^, don't let the man keep you down

e: signed me

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 31, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

silversatyr posted:

o7
^.^
^.^)b

If you're actually looking for posting etiquette here, this is bullshit and this is the sort of thing that will get you dogpiled on. So just. Y'know. Keep the decent posting, get rid of the silly emoticons. We don't actually care what gender you are or how emoticonny you're feeling. Just make quality posts. Hope this helps.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

dscruffy1 posted:

If you're actually looking for posting etiquette here, this is bullshit and this is the sort of thing that will get you dogpiled on. So just. Y'know. Keep the decent posting, get rid of the silly emoticons. We don't actually care what gender you are or how emoticonny you're feeling. Just make quality posts. Hope this helps.

Okay, I shall endeavor to keep them to absolute minimum!

I only pointed out my gender because everyone was referring to me as 'he'. I don't expect or want preferential treatment of any kind due to something like that - I know some people do and it is, quite frankly, silly - but I figure everyone has the right to be referred to by the gender they identify as. I won't bring it up again unless necessary and will leave it at that, since we've strayed a bit too far off the topic of the thread. I did not mean to cause a derailment. Sorry!

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction for a (sort-of) painless journey into these foreign lands.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 31, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

It was a recommendation and there's no harm in that :v: If LPs where folks do voices or read things out loud aren't your thing, then move along, guys. Even though some posters didn't agree, silversatyr gave a good explanation on why she enjoyed it. Nothing wrong going on here, folks!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silversatyr posted:

I only pointed out my gender because everyone was referring to me as 'he'. I don't expect or want preferential treatment of any kind due to something like that - I know some people do and it is, quite frankly, silly - but I figure everyone has the right to be referred to by the gender they identify as.

You might want to swing by this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581492

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

So i saw this video of Arma where two police officers (in character ) stop a driver and all hell breaks lose. Does anybody have the faintest clue to where i could find it?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

KillHour posted:

I'm watching through the Kay Plays Dark Souls LP recommended in the OP, and it's fantastic so far (etc)

I loved watching Kay Play Dark souls, she really has the right mind for it.

She has 2 FEZ videos up on her Youtube account which I just found out today. She is straight up killing the puzzles. You may have to have played the game to get how impressive it is; but she cracks the alphabet cipher in the first video, right outside of the starting village. She certainly COULD have gone online and cheated to find it, but after watching how she plays Dark Souls, and how clearly she hates spoilers, I believe she did it legitimately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C33Yp7TCmds - code busting starts about 31:30

EDIT: I totally broke rule 5 with this post; but the achievement was really amazing and I wanted to share. Just consider this then a general endorsement of her channel.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 31, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You guys sure are a hospitable bunch aren't ya.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sneaky Fast posted:

So i saw this video of Arma where two police officers (in character ) stop a driver and all hell breaks lose. Does anybody have the faintest clue to where i could find it?

Only thing I can think of is this.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

silversatyr posted:

Okay, I shall endeavor to keep them to absolute minimum!

Don't sweat it, or a bunch of the other stuff. The "I'm a she" thing was totally reasonable, too.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

First off thank you. That was funny but it wasn't the one i saw. It was almost for sure Arma 3 cause the graphics were good and it was very sunny. Also made by Americans/Canadians.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sneaky Fast posted:

Possibly one of the shacktac guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4PnJf35vso&index=1&list=PLEC4CDB080258A454

Check out that playlist for anything starting with A2: The Game.

e: well maybe not then

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Tommofork posted:

e: well maybe not then

That it is it!!!!! i was wrong about it only being American/Canadian guys. loving Fabulous

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Tommofork posted:

I have to say, this is pretty fantastic and the fact that the main guy sounds like Homestar Runner just pushes it over the top for me.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I love the one guy who goes sailing off into the stratosphere

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Medibot's in the video?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Super Great Friend's dulcet voice, the fact that he doesn't joke around with a bunch of other people, and his encyclopedic knowledge of cool games I would never actually want to play myself. It makes for good background video to getting other stuff done. Who else is like that?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

sector_corrector posted:

I like Super Great Friend's dulcet voice, the fact that he doesn't joke around with a bunch of other people, and his encyclopedic knowledge of cool games I would never actually want to play myself. It makes for good background video to getting other stuff done. Who else is like that?
Maybe Bobbin's LP's of Thief: http://lparchive.org/Thief-I-The-Dark-Project/ or davidspackage's LP of Stonekeep: http://lparchive.org/Stonekeep-(by-davidspackage)/

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sneaky Fast posted:

That it is it!!!!! i was wrong about it only being American/Canadian guys. loving Fabulous

Swell!

Chewbot posted:

I have to say, this is pretty fantastic and the fact that the main guy sounds like Homestar Runner just pushes it over the top for me.

That's Beagle. He's pretty chill Aussie and in addition to putting up ARMA highlights from ShackTac he's also done an amazingly funny and incredibly well edited play through of XCOM: Enemy Unknown on the hardest difficulty with ironman mode enabled. He also explains the reasoning behind his decisions clearly and concisely. For a long time was the go to guy to watch to learn how to play XCOM, at least until the expansion dropped.

Big disclaimer:

He has two very different series. XCOM: Ironman Impossible is the very tightly edited series with short, punchy and funny episodes. Live and Impossible are live recordings uploaded (almost) in full. It's interesting to see his decision making live but it's nowhere near as entertaining as Ironman Impossible.

He's also currently doing a live series of the Long War mod beta, which makes so many changes to XCOM that it's beyond incredible and adds tonnes of depth. It's also ball-breakingly hard even though Beagle has a habit of making it look easy when the RNG helps him out of a bind. The downside being that the videos are really, really, really loving long but you can skip the end of the video where he takes ages painstakingly setting up the squad for the next mission.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Someone who is a friend of RooseveltMD (or the man himself, I guess) or someone who can host videos, please PM me about the ~10 GB of Harry Potter videos, and please upload them to a video host for the public after you get them from me.

I have uploaded them to my Dropbox, but would like to avoid handing links out here, as the last time I did that my Dropbox account's public file access got shut down due to bandwidth.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

sector_corrector posted:

I'll second Thief (as well as the sequels) and also CannibalK9's LP of The Void.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'd like to recommend Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP to anyone with even a passing interest in horror stories. The LP is of the narrative kind, so don't expect to find out how to max out your house in a week or something. That being said, it's engaging and provides a fascinating background to the events of the game; which is particularly impressing, because there isn't a whole lot that happens in that game. I think this actually plays in Chewbot's favor, because it allows him to develop his narrative however he prefers.

Yes, it's basically a fanfiction, but drat it it's a good one.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I would like to recommend SelenicMartian's LP of Strike Fighters 2. Laid-back commentary, good sense of humor, and he provides a lot of interesting facts about planes and anything and everything to do with them. Here is a short, three minute video to give you an idea about his commentary style, although there's no actual trivia in that video.

As a bonus, there's also quite a bit of making fun of Third Wire, the people who made SF2 and who are somewhat incompetent. And by "somewhat" I mean AI Aces becoming worse at avoiding the ground, flak being completely useless, and tanks rolling across the sea to get to the battle.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is there a definitive VLP of the Penumbra trilogy? Would prefer an informative showcase type of approach rather than a blind run or anything.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

the yeti posted:

Is there a definitive VLP of the Penumbra trilogy? Would prefer an informative showcase type of approach rather than a blind run or anything.
While I can highly recommend Crackle's LP of the first Penumbra (http://lparchive.org/Penumbra-Overture/), I feel that you might not have many options in regards to the other ones. There is one done for the other two games by Khad, but he much preferred a blind approach to his games and he wasn't always the best with editing out failure. But definitely give Crackle's a try for the first one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wasn't there an LP of The Neverhood floating around not too long ago? What happened to that?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wasn't there an LP of The Neverhood floating around not too long ago? What happened to that?

The IMG links all died?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2423503

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I don't have archives - would you mind digging up the guy's Youtube channel for me, please?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't have archives - would you mind digging up the guy's Youtube channel for me, please?

Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Twodaylife

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Here's a link, I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTUSgUTVyeY. There's only limited videos, it seems, as the LP was primarily an SSLP.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That's the one! Thanks a lot.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I like board games. I like reading about/watching goons play board games. Recommend me some board game LPs please? I read a Risk one before, and also one for Risk Legacy. Beyond that I am not aware of literally any others.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dancer posted:

I like board games. I like reading about/watching goons play board games. Recommend me some board game LPs please? I read a Risk one before, and also one for Risk Legacy. Beyond that I am not aware of literally any others.

There's a great LP of Twilight Struggle going on right now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tendales posted:

There's a great LP of Twilight Struggle going on right now.

Beware of Comrade Dice. He will crush all your hopes and dreams.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Hey, I know there are a million Paradox LPs out there, but a lot of them seem to assume the reader has some level of understanding of how the game is played, or are focused on role-playing. Are there any decent Paradox LPs that don't do those two things?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not an Owl posted:

Hey, I know there are a million Paradox LPs out there, but a lot of them seem to assume the reader has some level of understanding of how the game is played, or are focused on role-playing. Are there any decent Paradox LPs that don't do those two things?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664

This might be what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Not an Owl posted:

Well, there is the Crusader Kings 2 tutorial thread that goes into detail about all the aspects of the game that have been released so far.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664

Then you have Wiz's Paradox mega campaign, which is what got me into the Paradox games myself

http://lparchive.org/Paradox-Hohenzollern/