Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dancer posted:

Beyond that I am not aware of literally any others.

This topic just came up a while back in the Sandcastle. Most PBP games - those that look for players or aren't 'thorough' enough to be thought of as an LP by whoever's running them - end up in the Game Room under this tag. Alternatively, the Battlestar Galactica thread has a huge archive of past games.

(If you have archives, make sure to read this one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Stelas posted:

This topic just came up a while back in the Sandcastle. Most PBP games - those that look for players or aren't 'thorough' enough to be thought of as an LP by whoever's running them - end up in the Game Room under this tag. Alternatively, the Battlestar Galactica thread has a huge archive of past games.

Many thanks good Sir, this will keep me happy for a while.

Tendales posted:

There's a great LP of Twilight Struggle going on right now.

This one owns. The press articles are pretty great.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Stelas posted:

Truly the best game.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh man, that BSG game went down like a ton of bricks. I've got a weak spot for board game playthroughs like BSG or the Risk threads; I'll definitely be keeping a closer eye on TGR. Is there an archive of TGR's best-of-- exciting games or games that are good for new players to observe?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Not really, but hunting back through the archives with the Board Games tag on is a fairly easy task - there aren't that many threads. Arkest's recent BSG threads have all been pretty great.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are / were any of the CYOA's written in GBS (I think they were popular for a time? I recall one where the goons played as an Ork on a Space Hulk and one where we were a roman senator) any good, and also actually completed instead of being abandoned?

(Note that I'm very much not talking about the illustrated stuff that ended up on the front page a while back)

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I know Research Indicates' take on it is a classic, but I remember really enjoying another, more recent LP of Jurassic Park Trespasser. It was less informative, but more humorous, and I think the guy was British. Can anyone link me to it?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
Check the master list, or if you're lazy:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498544

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHawSzbHuGs

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
That's the one, thanks.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Valiantman's LP of the Civ IV mod Fall From Heaven 2 is masterful. If you like SSLPs and that type of 4x game you should read it, especially if you haven't experienced FFH before. He's nearing the end of the scenarios, and he's done a great job showing the amount of lore stuffed into a very inventive and deep remake of Civ IV. It absolutely deserves more love.

eta: and of course I forgot to link it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 10, 2014

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Link us up hommie

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Sneaky Fast posted:

Link us up hommie

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526888

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Blargh, wrong place. Derp.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 11, 2014

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I think you might me in the wrong thread, friend.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

majormonotone posted:

I think you might me in the wrong thread, friend.

No no, we're handing out LP awards now. It's like the Oscars.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Xander77 posted:

Are / were any of the CYOA's written in GBS (I think they were popular for a time? I recall one where the goons played as an Ork on a Space Hulk and one where we were a roman senator) any good, and also actually completed instead of being abandoned?

(Note that I'm very much not talking about the illustrated stuff that ended up on the front page a while back)

The Ork CYOA wasn't completed but it was still great. It languishes in the archives.

There's an Imperial Guard CYOA still going which will likely outlast humanity. Link.

Dunno about any others, try the game room subforum in trad games.

e: fixed, thanks

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 11, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tommofork posted:

The Ork CYOA wasn't completed but it was still great. It languishes in the archives.

There's an Imperial Guard CYOA still going which will likely outlast humanity. Link.

You posted the same link twice. Here's the IG CYOA

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3202242

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Tommofork posted:

e: fixed, thanks

There are a few going on in the game room currently.

There's a fun one based on early version of DnD. Includes some nice charcol drawings of what's going on. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653793

There's one that's been going on for a very long time. I'm not really sure how to describe it. I guess its just the adventures of some guy in a made fantasy world, starting from the childhood of the main character. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307

Here's one based on being an evil overlord. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649649

There are also some others, but they often get abandoned. There really aren't a lot of people on the forums playing these, probably because very few people even visit the game room.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thanks. I'm rather more interested in reading good CYOA's that were actually completed than in participating in currently running ones.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
People sometimes do Fighting Fantasy on the actual Let's Play subforum. If you search "Fighting Fantasy" on the Master List, they'll pop up.

There's a couple active ones too: "Armies Of Death" http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650628

and, uh, I swear there was a Deathtrap Dungeon one that was going on or nearing completion.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

People sometimes do Fighting Fantasy on the actual Let's Play subforum. If you search "Fighting Fantasy" on the Master List, they'll pop up.

There's a couple active ones too: "Armies Of Death" http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650628

and, uh, I swear there was a Deathtrap Dungeon one that was going on or nearing completion.

Look for wethamster the thread was game and book dnd style and it went into the archives in the last month so I don't know if it still exists.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The best strategy gaming LP going on at this moment must be Combat Mission: Red Thunder by Grey Hunter. Two teams of goons are locked in mortal combat in late 1944, on one of the grognardiest game engines ever built. The game is played as double blind, where neither team has full confidence what is going on (and sometimes very little confidence in where their own troops are, either). The confusing spotting system of CM doesn't help. Grey handling the orders takes away a lot of the more arcane aspects of the game engine, but poses another level of problems (like simply forgetting to commit one players orders, six turns in a row). As a result the game is a continuous task of balancing between giving clear enough orders to be understood, making sure those orders mesh with what the rest of your team is doing, giving actually useful orders and sometimes even doing what your superior officer wants you to do. Worth taking a look for several reasons. Maybe you like strategy games and fancy yourself a commander? Maybe you want to check out an unique format of LP? Maybe you just want to laugh at the execution of grand plans gone awry?

There's three threads going on. One for German team, one for Soviet team and one for observers.

Greys:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647489

Reds:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490

Observers:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645658

If anyone knows LPs that work something like this, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I am greatly enjoying Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 LP, mostly on account of its highly analytical commentary, focusing on story themes and game design elements etc as they come up in the game rather than just being an "Informative LP" (not that an "informative LP" is a bad thing, but this is something else).

Besides recommending it here, I'd also like to know if there are any other particularly good LPs out there in the same vein.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a blind Dark Souls 1 LP anywhere that doesn't have the player in super-tank-havel-heal mode by the end? Besides Geop, and I'm asking for youtube too if you must.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Is there a blind Dark Souls 1 LP anywhere that doesn't have the player in super-tank-havel-heal mode by the end? Besides Geop, and I'm asking for youtube too if you must.

And just what's wrong with Super Heavy Havel Healin'? :colbert:

BS aside, good luck finding a decent blind LP of DS like this on YT. I've looked at a few, and if it's not recorded with a camcorder/phone (I guess Angikirby really WAS a pioneer!), then the person playing doesn't understand the concept of lock-on until roughly the 30th video, or some variant thereof.

That or they don't edit anything, and you'll get 2-3 videos of Vs. O&S. I'd actually be interested in watching a decent one if it's out there. Maybe somebody else on here has had better luck in the search?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tae posted:

Kay Plays did a Wizard I think. It takes a while to get rolling though (both gameplay and LP wise).
She also did DS2 and is doing Demons' but people complained about magic and ever since she's stuck to physical.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BMS posted:

And just what's wrong with Super Heavy Havel Healin'? :colbert:

When the 3 other LP's I watched all end the same set-up which is Havel+great weapon, it gets kinda monotonous. I watched both DS runs on Giantbomb and kinda petered out once I realized the 2nd half of the game was the same once they both found Havel's armor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I will make nine-gear crow do a blind LP of it when we finish the Killzone trilogy.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Are there any LPs I can watch that will make me question my entire existence like the movie Trainspotting or Requiem for a Dream? I ask as I just recently finished reading Kafka's Das Schloss and am looking for something perhaps a little easier to digest but still meaningful way to spend my Wednesday(That's tomorrow).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

WindmillSlayer posted:

Are there any LPs I can watch that will make me question my entire existence like the movie Trainspotting or Requiem for a Dream? I ask as I just recently finished reading Kafka's Das Schloss and am looking for something perhaps a little easier to digest but still meaningful way to spend my Wednesday(That's tomorrow).

Spec Ops: The Line will make you hate yourself for playing it, and watching the LP will at the very least make you feel dirty.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Spec Ops: The Line will make you hate yourself for playing it, and watching the LP will at the very least make you feel dirty.

This. Spec Ops was a magnificent surprise when I went into it blind, and Oatmeal Raisin did a beautiful job of showing what makes it so... interesting.

I really hope more games come along that make me feel like the protagonist of a David Lynch film.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The thing about Spec Ops is that it's impossible to recommend it, because telling you why we're recommending it will spoil it. But please go play Spec Ops, or at the very least just watch OatmealRaisin's LP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WindmillSlayer posted:

Have you tried a debilitating heroin addiction? Because that seems like a quicker route.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fedule posted:

I am greatly enjoying Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 LP, mostly on account of its highly analytical commentary, focusing on story themes and game design elements etc as they come up in the game rather than just being an "Informative LP" (not that an "informative LP" is a bad thing, but this is something else).

Besides recommending it here, I'd also like to know if there are any other particularly good LPs out there in the same vein.
Scorch's KotR 2 LP is probably the best known example of interestingly analytical (it's pretty much one of the best SSLP's, period). I believe that the Heavy Rain LP from a while back also had sections about David Cage and everything wrong with his design philosophy? There are a lot of LP's that go out of their way to expand and "inform" on real life issues the game touches upon, but that's not quite game design elements.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'd like to recommend Tin Tim's current LP of Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter.

The game is both an FPS and a space fighter combat game, and it is both awesome and terrible. Some aspects of the game are excellent, such as the gun design and the animations, and parts of certain levels have amazing attention to detail. But then the game screws over the player with bad checkpoints and unfair difficulty spikes, or ruins all dramatic tension with bad voice acting or hillariously inept cutscenes. Watching an LP of Mace Griffin is a far superior experience than actually playing it, and Tin Tim's commentary is funny and informative. He manages to keep his enthusiasm about the game's good aspects even as the flawed parts of the game do their best to sap his sanity.

The icing on the cake is that he replaced the game's generic soundtrack with a custom soundtrack of appropriately sci-fi sounding synth music that fits so perfectly you would think that it was the game's original music. Even the crappest level with the shittiest gameplay becomes an enjoyable experience with that fantastic music and Tim Tim's marvellous commentary.

Tim Tim also did a great LP of Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, which is on the LP archive. He also did the custom soundtrack thing there (in part because the game's soundtrack has problems and can even cause the game to crash). I actually rewatched that LP because there were several parts that were so laugh-out-loud funny, plus it's enjoyable just to listen to the music. (And it's a super competent and informative LP too.)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

I will make nine-gear crow do a blind LP of it when we finish the Killzone trilogy.

Dark Souls 32 is going to be out by then, so it may be difficult to find working hardware and a copy of DS1.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

DumbRodent posted:

I really hope more games come along that make me feel like the protagonist of a David Lynch film.

Well, there's always supergreatfriend's LP of Deadly Premonition.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone know of a good Starcraft/Starcraft 2 LP? I want to see the game but I don't really want to shell out money for a game I'm NOT EVEN SURE I'll like. Cheers in advance!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fedule posted:

In addition to KOTOR2, Lt. Danger's LP of Neverwinter Nights 2, and more especially Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer have some drat good analysis of what's happening in the game on a thematic level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone know of a good Starcraft/Starcraft 2 LP? I want to see the game but I don't really want to shell out money for a game I'm NOT EVEN SURE I'll like. Cheers in advance!

Starcraft 2 - Not finished and hasn't been updated for a month now, but fairly good.