Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

A lot of times folks here ask for a chill LP that can be watched in the background while doing work or studying, or just before turning in for the night. I'd like to suggest Stonekeep done by davidspackage
It's an old first person party based dungeon crawler in the style of Eye of the Beholder and the recent Legend of Grimrock. The videos run pretty long but I never remember getting bored or distracted while watching. It also features some very dated live-action spritework and practical effects make-up that lends an amusing amount of charm to the game. I actually looked forward to each time Wahooka showed up.

There's a lot of terrible 90's era CGI too, though, so look forward to that.

The game itsself was sorta kinda the pinnacle of first-person grid based dungeon crawlers in terms of gameplay at the time. It has innovative little bits and bobs that are pretty impressive in an 20 year old game. Stuff like evading projectiles by turning to the side since you party occupied the "back" of whatever grid square you were on. All in all a fun watch. Give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking for some let's plays where the person doing them is crazy good at the game and just breaks it apart. Like they know every nook and cranny of the game, maybe some exploits, and they are good at explaining what's going on. I would prefer if the games weren't overdone ones like OOT or mario 64 or something.

In the active forums, D_W just got done with the first half of his Orcs Must Die thread. I'm not a fan of tower defense style games normally, but the third-person perspective protagonist role puts enough of a spin on it. Plus D_W manages to absolutely trounce each mission, never allowing a single foe to get past his death mazes. It's pretty cathartic to watch if you've tried the games and didn't do to well, and just plain fun to watch in general.

He just finished the first game but still intends to tackle the DLC missions and the sequel in the same thread, so look forward to that.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sneaky Fast posted:

Squints playthrough of Demon souls is informative, interesting and played with expertise
http://lparchive.org/Demons-Souls/

I like this one too, and I'll also suggest Bobbin Threadbare's take at the Thief Trilogy.

Stonekeep by davidspackage is an older first-person dungeon crawler that is strangely addictive. Long and relaxing but never dull or tedious.

And because Geop would never toot his own horn, his playthroughs of the first two Assassin's Creed games are probably just what you're looking for, Getsuya. Lots of fun talk of the historical sources and inspirations whenever the action winds down.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 10, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Can someone recommend a good off-SA LP of the first Pikmin game? The one in the archives has an opening to each video that must use some song that sets off the YouTube copyright alarms, because the audio is disabled on any videos that features it. Sure its on the Internet Archives, but that's kinda a pain to use on my handheld devices. Plus I'm not the biggest fan of faceguy's LPs.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 25, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Amputraitor posted:

Can anyone recommend a long LP that I can let drone on in the background while I attempt to accomplish other things? An RPG preferably that's not Final Fantasy.

Back on page 11 there was a good list of LPs like that. If you want an RPG specifically, Bobbin Threadbare's Rogue Galaxy is pretty nice. A less-known action RPG with a kinda generic plot, but it has a lot of charm and Bobbin does a good job showing off this diamond in the rough. The biggest complaint about it is that it doesn't use its star-faring opportunities to its fullest.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

Homefront floated into my mind today, not really pleasantly, and I remembered that someone did an LP a while back eviscerating it. I can't find it on the Archive, though, or remember who that was. Can anyone help me out here?

There was also this one by Habermann. You'll need forum archives to access the thread in all its glory, but here's his youtube account if you aren't so lucky.

Edit: oh wait, that is the one linked above. oh well!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 2, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I very nearly blindly recommended this one after reading goodness's post, but then I stopped and thought "maybe someone else already suggested the best LP to ever exist" and sure enough....

Anyway, seconded.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent playthrough of Arkham Knight? So far all I've found is a bunch of people who can't handle people charging at them or tutorials being on screen till you perform said action.

I can't recommend a finished one, but dscruffy1, who did the previous games pretty well, mentioned that he was going to tackle Arkham Knight once NOLF is done. Just keep an eye out for it in the subforum or the New LPs thread, and I'm sure he'll be able to display the game well.

Also, watch NOLF.

No One Lives Forever is a forgotten FPS from 2000 that is kinda hard to find and play even in the Steam age due to it being stuck in licensing hell. The game still looks and sounds pretty good despite its age, and the whole thing is basically a very heartfelt love letter to all the 60's spy thrillers. ALL of them, not just Bond. dscruffy1 does a good job of showing off all the funny quirks and missable dialogue and such that makese the game so great.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The Adventures of Business Viking and Biker Viking (aka Mercenaries 2) is my go-to suggestion in this situation. Granted the game isn't really bad, just kinda average and under-appreciated. But the guys playing it are funny and work great with one another, so give it a watch.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Galick posted:

Anyone got any LPs that I could have on in the background? Preferably with a group with good chemistry, though not Chip's or the sonic crew's. I've watched most of theirs already!

Genre of the game doesn't matter too much, I mostly just want some entertaining background noise.

Is there an echo in here? No, it's just me recommending the Mercenaries 2 LP by helloitsdan and lithuanian dad again, a LP so good it got its own special framing in the archives. If you've already watched it, then try for their Lost Planet 2 LP too.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'd like a recommendation. Been jonesing for some From Software goodness, so I'd love to see runthroughs of the old King's Field games, but I much prefer a planned playthrough over a blind one. Games like that are slow enough without trial and error. I'll happily tolerate facecams or stream chat or even no commentary as long as the play isn't blind and done relatively well.

Also:

Xerophyte posted:

This isn't an LP exactly, but there's a race tournament of the Link to the Past Randomizer going on and the semi-final race they ran today was pretty awesome as races go. Check it out if you want to see two people play A Link to the Past very quickly and in a weird order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPPolAyRV0

I'm not a fan of speedrun races normally, but this was a blast to watch, thanks for the share. The fact that they took divergent routes was a big draw. Anyone else who skipped it the first few times someone quoted it, please click, pro watch.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Stonekeep done by davidspackage is a nice dungeon crawler style game. It's pretty slow paced and calm with long videos that are low-key and relaxing without being tedious and dull. I remember it being a great podcast style LP you could keep open in another window while getting stuff done.

Grim Fandango the Motion Picture is an old LP of the game done before the remakes came out. It's a VLP with no commentary, but Vexacion painstakingly edited out all the loading screens, back tracking, menu wrangling, and all the other poo poo to make it just one long, uninterrupted display of the game and all its great voice-work and music. Only four videos, but each of them covers each of the games four acts.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 8, 2018

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Frank Cifaldi, former Retronauts podcaster, did a really solid LP of Gimmick! (or Mr. Gimmick!) for the NES around eight years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

He goes into a great amount of detail about the game, the developers, the technical aspects that make it better than most NES games, and plays it really well, considering how difficult it is.

Only problem: it uses YouTube annotations for commentary, and YouTube's axing annotations in four days. So watch it while you still can, if you're interested.

Just got done watching, and I definitely gotta second this. It's a very fun watch, give it a go while annotations are still a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

If you're ok with pokemon, there's Let's Blindly Poke Some Mons.
Blind LP of Fire Red by someone who only played up to Mt. Moon once on the original GB game about 20 years ago.

It kinda stalled out but the OP may come back to it. They took a break over winter before coming back to it a month ago but nothing since then. I kinda like it since it's kinda novel watching someone "new" to the game despite the franchise being decades old and very widespread.