Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Working through White Knight Chronicles and...well there's probably a couple of smilies that can sum up my feelings but sorting through the pile is too big a break from that trainwreck.

I'm tempted to read the original thread to see goons break down "why this didn't work", but the LP itself is long enough and I have only so many days in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dash Rendar posted:

The thread was interesting because crow didn't ease into calling out its absurdity. It was also one of his first LPs so he was a bit of an unknown and a lot of people didn't know what to expect. There's was a bit of incredulity as to whether or not it would get as bad as he promised and some even called him out for being unnecessarily harsh. So the best thing was that slowly, inexorably, everyone in the thread came over to the side of "holy poo poo what the gently caress is this Level 5 why is it so bad and why is leonard so dumb".

I've sadly been spoiled on Leonard's idiocy. But I'm still baffled at the terrible game design decisions (I keep drawing comparisons to Drakengard) and reasoning out why the story is such a dud.

I'm only on chapter 8, but the overarching mistake is the story keeps making is it's taking stuff that it's seen from other games and mashing them together with no thought of how to combine them. A story where the male and female lead have instant connection can work (see Ocarina of Time), but not when it has to coexist with FFT-style court politics, to give just one example.

quote:

We also had some early plans to do commentated gameplay videos but it wound up being so tedious that we wisely canned it. crow skipped a TONNE of tedious bullshit in order to make the game more accessible than it actually is.

What you left in seems hellish enough.

On a Scale of 1-to-TBC Black Temple unlock, how would rate what you left off?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

nine-gear crow posted:

It was very very tortuous. I'd planned to do a walkabout of at the very least every big hub area of the game, namely Balandor, Parma, Albana, Greede, Baccea, and Faria, as well as going through the dungeons with uberleveled characters to curb stomp everything in my path for the sake of easing tedium. My intent was to give people a better sense of the worldspace and the game in action than could be conveyed through simple screenshots, but as Sally said, we sat down and did Balandor Castletown and Beneath Balandor Castle, just to bang them out one-two while we had the time and that was all we managed.

We just sort of collectively went to one another "holy christ, this is boring and we're out of things to talk about." So I decided to scrap it and focus on the story primarily, and gameplay where absolutely needed.

I also considered going through and doing all the side quests just for a complete experience because there actually was worldbuilding and flavour elements in those missions, but again they were largely tedious as poo poo and would have taken me probably another 40 hours of playing to get through, because they were just as poorly designed and geared towards the MMO aspect of the game that slogging them single player. Besides, all 11 hours of Vellgander kind of give you the gist of what most online quests were, complete with being able tough out the majority of the quest and then getting worked over at the end because it drops a megaboss on you as a gently caress you for not playing like 6 other human players.

tl;dr: yes, it was garbage hell all over.

The more I read, the more I wish I was aware of the thread and participated in the discussion. I guess that can be said of everything in the archive.

The thought that keeps occurring in my read through is "Someone wrote this. This is someone's (or a group's) intentional storytelling." Which begs the question: why? Why is everyone, especially the supposed hero, such utter imbeciles when Level-5 had complete control over what they did? I would love to see a breakdown of what happened behind-the-scenes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Finished part 1 of WKC, and I don't know what bothers me more:

Fridging a well-developed antagonist with a connection to the main plot and a relatively complex relationship to the rest of the main characters another character in favor of Blandy-McEyepatch,

or,

Ripping off the Nazgul theme note-for-note like you're Vanilla Ice.