Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A lot of the resistance comes from the terrible translation.

Well, and Pathologic is a game that is deliberately designed for an experience that's pretty far from fun. Which is not to say it's not fantastic, because it is. Just that enjoying yourself isn't the point of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I just watched through this one of Phantasmagoria and it seems like what you're looking for. It's an old 90s point and click game with a really good creepy atmosphere. Some of it hasn't aged too well but I'd say overall it's a spooky/surreal game to check out.

I would say Phantasmagoria really really hasn't aged well (if it was ever good), but the 99% unrelated "sequel", A Puzzle of Flesh is significantly better and worth a watch.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It doesn't look like anyone on SA has done one, but are there watchable LPs of the Gears of War games anywhere around? I get the sense that they might not make for super exciting viewing, but I'd still like to see for myself. (If only to have some context for the books, which are surprisingly enjoyable.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I just continue to wish that all three Mass Effects had been written according to a consistent creative vision with at least the broad narrative arc sketched out ahead of time. Because there's some great stuff there but you can really tell the writing team changed every time.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

The Homecoming LP by Kamoc is the natural next step, then.

Well, depends on if you want a good LP of a horror game, or an LP of a good horror game. Because that's definitely the former, not so much the latter.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

It's a bit older and offsite, but Evil Tim did one in his impeccable style.
edit: Offsite as in I think he's a goon but didn't post it here.

He was a goon. Dunno if he still is. But he doesn't do his LPs here anymore, probably because a component of his style tended to be quietly abandoning LPs midway through. Homefront's one of the few of his I've seen that he actually finished.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
He's helped out with PoptartsNinja's Battletech thread too, and I think has an SA account. So, yeah, he's a pretty cool guy. :)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

I've making my way through the Lunar Dragon Song LP, and can't look away from the trainwreck. What are some other excellent SSLPs of terrible, terrible games?

I have laughed really, really hard at slowbeef's two LPs (one for each playable character) of Sprung:
http://lparchive.org/Sprung-(Brett)/
http://lparchive.org/Sprung-(Becky)/
(in that order)

They've been kicking around a while so you may have already seen them. But man.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Nah. Wish I could be more descriptive. The protagonist lands on a prison planet via drop pod. The game was poorly translated to English. The protag also sort of looked like Henry Rollins.

Planet Alcatraz.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

There's one running here. Haven't watched it so I can't vouch for quality, but goons didn't run him off the site after two pages so I figure it should work.

It's actually mostly completed - there's a few more videos coming covering side content like survival mode, but the story's done.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Years ago, I remember reading through a Let's Play of an old game that I can't remember the name of. It was a space exploration game, you had multiple characters/ships to choose from in the beginning, the entire map was on paper and you directed your ship via color (I think? It's been a while), and there was a time limit of turns before a bad end. Also, there was a sequel with an unfinished Let's Play afterwards (maybe?). Can anyone remember this Let's Play or even just what the game is called? I thought it was on the archive, but if it is I've overlooked it at least twice.

Star Saga. There's actually two games in the series (there would have been more but it didn't sell), but I think only the first one got LPed.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Is there a decent non-SA LP out there for Until Dawn? There's one theoretically going here but the update pace is teetering forever on the verge of archival so I'm not sanguine that it's going to get finished. I've tried the Two Best Friends Play one and...ugh. No thank you.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

Achievement Hunter? They talk all over the cutscenes but it's subtitled. And they fix the audio balance after the first part.

Might do if I can't find anything better but they're blocking a substantial part of the video with a pointless facecam inset which I find super distracting. :(

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If you're gonna watch someone play Until Dawn with a facecam you may as well go with someone less annoying (I will always rep HarshlyCritical, always).

Well, at least he's edited the facecam bit down to just his head. And the lower left's better than the upper right. That's something.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Niggurath posted:

It might be because they're endless yammering and yelling; some people aren't really looking for that.

They were pretty obnoxious, yeah.

HGH posted:

I figured it was just their brand of humor that rubbed them the wrong way.
Thing is I can't think of an Until Dawn LP/stream that isn't really noisy. The game really gets people talking, and since all the characters have such pronounced personalities it usually elicits some loud reactions.
Does this work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA17sy5uV2g

The cast seems good, the stream chat blocking part of the video is a turnoff.

RareAcumen posted:

edit: Oh gently caress, I just realized I suggested the exact same thing.

Well, here's another one so I'm not superfluous.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

This one seems like my best bet so far. I appreciate all the suggestions, though!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jon Do posted:

I watched the Giant Bomb East livestreams / archives of Until Dawn, and enjoyed them a lot. As a livestream, there is a camera pointed at the desk with the three of them, and as a GB video, they hold a conversation throughout the whole thing. While Until Dawn's atmosphere is good, I don't feel I missed out because they were talking or there was a camera; it is basically a parody that handles itself well.

Some people are really anal about the facecam/talking thing, but I've seen a lot of goon LPs that adhered to the strict goon culture about cams and commentary... and yet were annoying as poo poo. It feels like there's often a specific chemistry; A fat guy who's fun to hang out on VOIP with who has to get drunk to be "loose" for the recording session, playing foil to (annoying the poo poo out of) the up-tight guy who's actually playing and has planned the recording session out in painstaking detail.

Also... I have been a goon since before the paywall and I've never met a goon as cool as Vinny Caravella or Austin Walker. So there's that.

I have no problem with people talking over cutscenes as long as there's subtitles. I just think they should be entertaining or at least tolerable and that was not my impression of Two Best Friends Play at all. My main problem with facecams and similar is that it obscures the game. I'm there for the game, not to watch some nerd's face move or the stream chat.

The Giant Bomb Until Dawn videos are probably great and are the first place I turned - I love both the Bombcast and the Beastcast...but I'm not a subscriber and they're subscriber-only. (Plus a cam would be a dealbreaker.)

That said, I'm two episodes into the Scary Game Squad LP and it's fitting the bill fine. Probably going to stick with that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jon Do posted:

Sorry, I should have logged out to check; they have a different image transposed over the player (not just the play arrow) for sub videos, and when I checked, it was the regular icon. I was under the impression the "playdates" were posted publicly. FWIW, premium is well worth it; they do sales for $35/y instead of 50, usually twice or more a year; once I caught on to that I haven't paid 50 since my first time.

I'm sure if you're a site regular it's worth it, but I really only listen to the two main podcasts and never visit Giant Bomb itself. I can't keep up with the LPs here I want to watch, much less an entire additional site worth of video content.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have a good, somewhat serious LP of Until Dawn?

I found the Scary Game Squad LP pretty acceptable:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

Minimal Youtube LPer bullshit, no facecam, decent quality video and they were pretty thorough. I found the Super Best Friends too obnoxious to continue with but YMMV.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

xoFcitcrA posted:

Huh. I swore I remembered him having a thread for it here, but it doesn't seem to have made it to the archives.

He did, yeah.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

Piggybacking off of that one, are there any good LPs of any MMOs in general? I've been interested in having a look at how others have went.

PoptartsNinja did a pretty great LP of Star Trek Online. I think he's also involved with the ongoing Star Wars: The Old Republic LP but since I actually want to play through the storylines in that game myself (unlike STO, which I hated) I haven't been following it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, four Silent Hill LPs by "From Earth". When you think there was an LP of something that isn't on the Archive, you can check the LP Master List. It's user-submitted, so some things fall through the cracks, but generally, it's a good extra resource.

However, these LPs seem to be lost to the depths of the internet due to lost screenshots.

I was going to say, "those are definitely on the archive" but I guess they got pulled because of the screenshot issue.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The latter part sounds like more of a sandcastle thing. I can't think of any solo blind VLPs on the forums (And I'm sure nobody's done a fully blind one, there may be a few semi-blind LPs) but they ought to be played the same as a non-blind one, just with more bumbling. Perhaps SGFs various 'bumbling around' series such as RE7 and The Witness?

There's dscruffy1's VLP of The Evil Within with DLC: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729340

It's fully blind and solo but not -super- bumbly. And it's a pretty good way to watch a game that's full of surprises and fakeouts and weird sudden shifts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Getsuya posted:

What are some good, informative, voiced, video horror game LPs? I know some LPers sub them to preserve the atmosphere but I'd like voiced ones.

DumbRodent's LPs of Outcast and Dead Space are well worth checking out.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Any decent Horizon: Zero Dawn playthroughs?

I found https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTcoRMwrX2Dihqq1gtbR_LcjDN7p4op90
sufferable. No facecam, grinding edited out, etc. I'd still like to see an in-depth take though, ideally an SA one, because he doesn't really dig into the collectible lore which is a big part of the game's story.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
What would people recommend as far as completed, informative LPs of Bloodborne and Dark Souls III? (with DLC, ideally). I watched Slowbeef's blind run of Bloodborne and Dazzling Addar's blind run of DSIII, so I've seen the games, but I'd like to see all the little tricks and secrets and stuff and maybe have a better idea of what's going on from a lore perspective. (Also, Addar didn't do the DLC for DSIII, it having not come out at the time, so that'll be new.)

SA LPs preferred, of course, but offsite is fine as long as they don't do poo poo like facecams or leaving the Twitch chat on-camera, etc.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You were my guide to Dark Souls II, so I'd be happy to elect the same for III. Thanks for the recommendations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm curious about the Yakuza series, but every time I've tried to take a look at it I've bounced off. What's a good introduction to the series in LP form, on or off site?

e: Pluses - Two or more commentators who get emotionally invested in the story, one commentator who knows the series backwards and forwards and gives interesting info about the game while playing. I like SBFP but I heard Matt got really bored with it in the back half and sort of tuned out.

I'm enjoying ChaosArgate's ongoing LP of Yakuza Kiwami, which is a PS4 remake of the first Yakuza and thus seems like a decent jumping on point to me. He is knowledgeable but has a novice co-commentator. I believe someone else is doing the original PS2 version, which might also be worth a look - I opted for the infinitely better graphics of Kiwami but it's been very clear that in addition to those graphics Kiwami adds a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't in the original, for better or worse.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

vilkacis posted:

Any recommendations for Nioh? I figured a Souls-esque game would be a big hit with goons, so I was rather surprised to find there's not even a single run in the archive.

Someone who knows what they're doing, preferably, and if I'm allowed to dream, also has some clue about the Japanese history/folklore stuff?

Genocyber did a blind run of it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKmczKLLqKB8lITcSS6p97RHGpUITQ1r9

The forum thread wasn't updated with the whole thing which probably explains it not being archived. That's the only one I've seen from goons. I'd be curious about a good informative run myself, though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, honestly you should try to start at maybe their Adver-games series or the horror fit-bit series.

If we're talking Men Drinkin' Coffee, Ride to Hell: Retribution is IMO their classic.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Azran posted:

Has anyone made an Until Dawn LP? Can't find anything on the master list.

There was one a while back but it petered out. And of course there are a zillion Youtube LPs of it but YMMV how tolerable they are. I personally found the Scary Game Squad playthrough reasonably decent - no face cams, not too much exaggerated fright, etc. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I can vouch for Iggy's DS3 LP. Nice and comprehensive.