Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gildiss posted:

The Ultima IX LP by Jewmander was amazing but it was all hosted on viddler.

Here is the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365571&pagenumber=1

Please tell me there is a way to get that sweet sweet jazz again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO66VFflssQ

Awww, I forgot that one was entirely on viddler. :sigh: If it ever does come back, it has my recommendation as well. Jewmander just does an amazing job conveying why this is one of the most infuriating games to play, ever.

I haven't seen it here yet, so anybody who's a fan of all those fun narrative strategy LP's like Thanqol's raptastic Crusader Kings 2 or Speedball's insane Civilization V should check out shalcar's Total War Shogun 2: Rise of the Samurai (archived) and currently ongoing Vanilla Shogun 2 LP's. In order to spice up the minutia of LP'ing a turn based strategy, shalcar whips up an amazing narrative telling the story of a small clan's rise to power, giving every character their own personality, goals, and story. On top of that, he also goes out of his way to make the LP as instructive as possible. He explains all of his decisions, commentates over battle videos to explain tactics and mechanics, and puts together huge effort posts full of charts and other data if you really want to get into the meat of the game's mechanics. I sucked hard at Rise of the Samurai, but this LP turned me into a wizard at it. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rogue0071 posted:

I'd recommend Scorchy's KOTOR II LP (less narrative focused, though) and Lt. Danger's NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer LP. His LP of the original campaign is also worth reading but it's the MOTB one that really has the effect you describe.

Seconding Scorchy's KOTOR 2 LP. It is the LP that got me into SSLP's in the first place, and he presents KOTOR 2 in a way far, far exceeding anything I have ever seen elsewhere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sneaky Fast posted:

Vexation's play through of Grim Fandango is fantastic. Vexation clearly knows the game inside and out and shows all the best lines.

I do however say playthrough for a reason. There no commentary. As the LPer says the game needs none, the Lucasart's classic stands on its own. The story is executed with great aplomb, combining Day of the Dead mythos, film noir and mixed with tasteful but delightful humor (plenty of dadish jokes but nothing off color). Manny Calavera is immensely likable character who is filled with life :clint: He is perhaps my favorite Video game character of all time. Manny is a cool cat helping a dame who's jammed up in the worst way. Please do yourself a favor, and discover the masterpiece that is Grim Fandango.

Seconded. I'm normally not a big fan of zero-commentary LP's, but Grim Fandango very quickly establishes itself as needing no commentary. It really is a fantastic game and Vexation shows off everything.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^Any chance you're talking about Spoiler Warning? Their commentary can be hit or miss, but it's definitely great background material.

Sneaky Fast posted:

The Tipping Forties guys play through of Tales of Symphonia is like 100 something updates but they drank whilst playing the game so at times it can be a bit rowdy, also very funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwsXx7dqnxU

Also if you end up liking their Symphonia LP, Kuvo (one of the commentators in the above mentioned Symphonia LP) is currently LP'ing a later game in the series, Tales of Vesperia with some equally funny co-commentators.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Amputraitor posted:

Can anyone recommend a long LP that I can let drone on in the background while I attempt to accomplish other things? An RPG preferably that's not Final Fantasy.

T40's LP of Tales of Symphonia clocks in 102 videos ranging in length from 20 to 40 minutes each, so it definitely fits the long category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HenryEx posted:

Definitely watch Last Alert, it's the one that made them consider riffing on Long Plays at all. The game is absolutely ridiculous, and it's almost worth watching alone to hear Diabetus burst out in full laughter for once.

In addition to this, also watch Cobra: Space Adventures. The game itself is an incredibly janky pseudo-visual novel/RPG, and the story & characters somehow manage to start off completely ludicrous, and keep getting stupider at every turn. It is an endless font of material, and Beef/Betus don't let it go to waste.

It's something like 7-8 hours long all together, but manages to be consistently funny throughout, which is quite the feat. Having said that though if you're strapped for time, slowbeef put together an abridged version that's closer to ~3 hours in length.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 13, 2015