Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

morallyobjected posted:

Currently looking for some good phone-friendly SSLPs (sometimes images have a bunch of small text that doesn't transfer well) I can read on the go, finished or otherwise. I tend to like RPGs, and I've read TWD's FF9 and am already following the FF7 and FF8 LPs, as well as The Dark Id's Drakengard 3

any thoughts?

http://lparchive.org/Angband/

Given that it's a roguelike, the pictures aren't going to tell you as much as the text will, and they're small pictures besides.

I also wound up reading a lot of this LP on my phone while on a roadtrip: http://lparchive.org/Bloodnet/

It's a fascinating look at a terrible adventure game. No idea if it's up your alley, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

my dog boyfriend!! posted:

I think the first horror VLP I ever watched was Penumbra a couple years ago and now I've been hooked since. I've run through Kamoc's streams and Voidburger's Silent Hill LPs and I'm hungry for more. I don't care if it's creeping-suspense horror or high-tension jumpy scares, subtitled or voice commentary, I love it all. Point me to your fave horror game LPs.

Niggurath's done some pretty cool horror game LPs, but my favorites of his are: http://lparchive.org/Rule-of-Rose/ (actually scary and disturbing) and http://lparchive.org/Michigan-Report-from-Hell/ (more weird than scary).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

pandaK posted:

Wasn't there a screenshot Heroes of Might and Magic III let's play on these forums a while back? I can't find it on lparchive.

http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/?stitle=heroes+of+might+%26+magic+iii&sauth=&splat=&sgenre=&sstatus=all&stype=all&search=Search#results

Yes, but all five of them were abandoned, apparently. If there was a completed one, it's not in the masterlist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Who the gently caress is Fedule, I must ensure that my outrage is directed towards admins and other important people, not some random posters I've never even encountered.

VVVVV
That may seem reasonable to you, but in my madness I'm no longer bound by any man's rationality. Like an animal I thirst for one thing, and one thing only - an explicit verdict that tedious furries are the cornerstone of this subforum.

Fedule's the mod listed in your rap sheet, dude. Complain to him, not us.

On a more on-topic note, I'm greatly enjoying Coolguye and co's LP of Majesty - are there any other LPs where a group of LPers pass around a savegame while playing it? I know there aren't many games like Majesty out there, but I'm looking for anything similar in the style of LPers commentating on how each other plays the game differently while showing off the game. (And not Dwarf Fortress, I know about the Dwarf Fortress LPs)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I hope I'm not breaking the rules too badly to point out that we're essentially reprising the same trick we pulled in Fall of Cybertron on Majesty.

I'm not about to complain, I like your guy's style. This is also a good excuse to check out something Transformers-related for the first time. Thanks! :munch:

edit: Oh hey, you have the prequel in the archives, I'll go watch that first!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game that I read an LP of; it was a heavily story based RPG, made in the RPG maker (I think), where your main character is a woman who is on some mysterious island. There are journal pages scattered about telling the story of the game; enemies appeared on the field and you could dodge around them, and battles started off stupidly hard. I don't remember much else about the game, and I did a terrible job of describing it, but I know someone here will know what game I mean.

Demon King Chronicle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Any good puzzle game LPs? The spacechem tourneys were a favorite of mine and SGF's few episodes so far of The Witness have got me itching for more.

I haven't seen it myself yet as I'm playing through the game on my own, but CannibalK9, known for his excellent LP of the Void, has done an LP of the Talos Principle. It requires archives, but it's on youtube.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SWMadness posted:

So I just binged through Dr. Kill's "Let's play Majora's Mask/OOT Super Wrong" videos as well as the Zelda OOT Chaos Mode videos that were attached to FaerieFortune's Blind OOT LP, and was wondering if there are any other good glitch showcase, speed-run based, or "Let's Break" style LPs I should check out?

Two of my favorite 'let's break' LPs:

Pokemon Blue
Final Fantasy VI

They're both focused on screenshots, but they're informative and hilarious.

edit: Whoops, forgot another one similar to your request: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. This one's a video LP wherein he does things completely out of order.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GuavaMoment posted:

Uhhh what was that Gameboy LoZ Link To The Past game that someone did in reverse order and pretended everything was normal?

LoZ Link's Awakening is the one you're thinking of. A Link to the Past is a SNES game that I think he did in order. (Though admittedly I haven't watched it yet. Too many LPs, too little time.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Has anyone done .hack//G.U. Rebirth?

I'm asking because I just read the .hack//IMOQ stuff, watched the Luminality and SIGN poo poo, and so now after watching Links GU should be next. I'd rather not play the games because they look really loving boring.

On the LP masterlist it only looks like one person even tried, and they didn't finish the trilogy.

As for a decent set of youtube VLPs of the games, check out NakaTeleeli's LPs: Playlist here. He gripes about the games, but he does all three of them and it's a way to see the plot without getting them yourself. Fair warning though, it's been years since I watched them so no clue about any quality dips.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

purkey posted:

I'm looking for a LP about an assholishly difficult RPG with a decent explanation of its mechanics. Something along the lines of the old Wizardry 4 LP. Any suggestions?

Two that aren't quite what you're looking for, but you might enjoy them anyways: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance by Orange Fluffy Sheep - it's a tour of how he took a moderately easy strategy RPG and snapped it over his knee. Great fun! I think he did similar things to FFTactics and Digimon World, but I haven't read those LPs yet.

And this is further out, but satisfies the rear end in a top hat requirement: KGB, an adventure game that is extremely obtuse and difficult and doesn't want you to play it at all, but these two LPers plow through and entertain the rest of us with a tremendously dark story that ends on a...bizarre note. Worth a look!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Verranicus posted:

What channel is that?

http://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/

Here ya go

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WombatCyborg posted:

There's two lps I watched part of and id like to find again, but I cant think of the names at all, see if you can help me out.

One was Professor Layton if it had a baby with Fargo while Twin peaks was watching in the corner creepily. Pretty certain this one finished and made it to the archive.

The other was a screenshot lp, I believe the premise was a jrpg set in WW2, but the Nazis were anime vampires? I cant remember if that one ever finished though.

I can't remember the title of that second LP, but it was abandoned near the end of the game, unfortunately. Even if you did find it you'd be in for disappointment.

fake edit: Aha! Googled: the game was Operation Darkness.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pierzak posted:

I think so. Now to find it in the archives...

Here you go!

In case anyone doesn't know it exists, the LP Master list links to every LP done here, archived or no.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone know of any good SHMUP LPs? I'm looking in particular for vertical scrolling SHMUPs, but any will do - finished, ongoing, unfinished, whatever. Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HenryEx posted:

http://lparchive.org/Touhou-1-6/

Zorak's playthroughs of Touhou 1-6. He planned for more, but burned out i think. Definitely worth a watch. he goes into the origins of some of the imagery or enemies and the like, and it's also interesting to see where the series got its origins (as a kind-of Arkanoid style game)

Thanks! I forgot that existed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

Asking about this again just in case

Which one?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just finished watching both LPs of SIREN that are ongoing right now and they're both amazing and scary, and well, now I want more to watch while I wait for updates.

What are some of the scariest LPs on the forums or on youtube? Finished or unfinished, subtitles or no, I just want something spooky and interesting.

Note: I've been through Niggurath's LPs (they are great) and the various Silent Hill LPs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't seen the Outlast LP or the Condemned LPs, thank you! I've been through Dead Space, though - the first one was spooky, the second one was just gross alas.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Also I'm wracking my brain to remember, but I think someone recently started to do the The Suffering and that was always a good spooky game (though egomaniac's videos on the archive are ummmm very hard to watch).

Ah, 2008 LP standards. I admit I couldn't get through his early Siren videos due to everything being so dark and fuzzy. Hence why I'm so glad he's doing it now - the game is fantastic and I'd never get to experience it without LPs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Is there a good horror/mystery/story-heavy LP out there in video form?

I've already seen The Void, SOMA, Amnesia, Ethan Carter, etc. Stuff in the vein of Niggurath is good but he's got a lot to pick from and it's hard to tell at a glance which games are interesting and which ones have a lot of walking around slowly and nothing in particular happening.

Alternatively - recommend an LP with lots of bad/terrible cutscenes, much like that Ride to Hell Retribution game.

Both LPs of SIREN are fantastic and I'd say they're what you're looking for. The Egomaniac LP is subtitled and focused on the plot and preserving the atmosphere, the SGF one is a little lighter as he points out how....silly some of the game objectives can be. The game itself is atmospheric, terrifying, and there's the mystery of what exactly is going on in this remote mountain village.

Mind you, both LPs are unfinished but they update regularly and Egomaniac's LP is pretty close to being done - or you could watch his old fuzzy LP of the game in the archives.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any Dragons Dogma LPs?

Yes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I looking for some more LPs similar to Doctor Kill's Let's Play Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask super wrong and the Majoras mask randomizer.

I think its specifically the aspect of being interesting/informative the whole way through. There's no down time where people are just trying to think of the next joke.

Proooooooooobably not the kind of informative you're looking for, but: Meccaprime's Link's Awakening LP is fantastic. You always learn something as he plays. :q:

For a real rec, watch any of the other Zelda LPs by Meccaprime, they're all actually informative and good watching.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DrKirre posted:

Seconding what Strix here has said. There's also the option of Bobbin Threadbare's stuff, particularly the Deus Ex vids. Very informative and rather relaxing.

Oh! Informative in the style of Bobbin's LPs, eh? They're great, so -

Deus Ex LP by Bobbin Threadbare - probably one of the finest LPs on the subforum. Has informative lectures all the way through the series on all kinds of topics. He did one in a similar style for Bioshock Infinite but I don't like Bioshock so I haven't been through it yet. He just finished an LP as well: LA Noire with informative lectures after eps again.

For a different LPer: Geop's Assassin's Creed LPs are legit educational and fun to watch. Assassin's Creed II.

And finally, to learn more but in the adventure game genre with a different LPer - Bacter's Laura Bow LPs are great. Laura Bow and the Colonel's Bequest + Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra.

There is a surprising amount of legit educational LPs in the archives. I mean, one more example, of a screenshot LP this time: Wanna learn about the Soviet Union? Enjoy KGB, a horribly cruel little adventure game LPed by two knowledgeable folks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tiger Crazy posted:

Hey can someone recommend me some lp's I like comedy let's plays that can be video or picture such as the Mercenaries 2 Lp. Additionally I loved Wiz grand strategy lp's and grey war in the pacific and his other stuff. I keep hearing about a lp about some space game (andromeda maybe?) that people enjoyed but I haven't been able to find.

The funniest LP I have ever seen: Saints Row 2. I've yet to find another LP in the archive that makes me laugh quite as hard.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Only problem is that episode 21 has been falsely copyright claimed by "SME". Bummer. :(

It's still working on my end?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

On my end,it says that it's been blocked in my country by SME. Maybe it's because I live in Canada?

That would be it. I'm in America.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

I don't know poo poo about Shin Megami Tensei aside from it lead to Persona 4 and I love persona four. I ask for a informative LP to show me what its all about.

This is kind of difficult: Shin Megami Tensei is, like Final Fantasy, a series of standalone JRPGs. They all have separate characters and settings - the main series is characterized by Tokyo going through an Apocalypse, and the Persona series is characterized by high schoolers dealing with their personal demons, but you can start almost anywhere. Alas, I can't take you to the first Megami Tensei games as they haven't been LPed, but the first Shin Megami Tensei one - well, here.

LP recs!

First game in the Shin Megami Tensei line, for SNES. There used to be another LP of it on the archives as well but apparently it's been removed? What the heck.

SMT if, aka the prototype for the Persona series - they used the SMT II engine to make a new game and satsu graciously played through and translated it for us.

Nocturne, aka SMT 3, aka the one for the PS2 that Atlus brought over and featured Dante from the Devil May Cry series. Honestly one of the finest jrpgs ever, in my opinion, and well worth playing yourself.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner 1+2! For something completely different: a spin-off rpg for the PS2 that features a different broken world, wherein the protagonists turn into demons and are demons. It's cool!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

The gently caress ever happened to Luisfe, anyway?

Strange Journey killed his will to do LPs, I guess? That is one draining game to play if you're not into tedious dungeon crawls 100%

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A bit of a long shot, but - does anyone know of an LP (on or off SA) for the X-COM mod XPiratez? I'm interested in a game that's steampunk pirates vs robots, but I don't have the patience for fiddling with the original X-COM these days. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Xcom, steampunk, pirates, robots...this isn't an answer to your request but I have to know: you've played Steamworld Heist, right?

Nineteen hours and counting for whenever I go back in for NG+ / the harder difficulties, yes!

Now that is a drat fine game. Even if the hat grind is ridiculous.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Highwang posted:

Been getting into Salt & Sanctuary recently, but I feel like I'm going backwards through the whole game. Is there a SA LP of the game yet that anyone would recommend?

Apparently there's one, but no clue about quality.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Any good lp's done for Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward? Mostly looking for someone who knows what they're doing cruising through the plot in an order that makes sense, commentary is fine so long as it isn't half an hour over a simple puzzle kind of thing.

Not a completed one, at any rate... :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I recently fell into the pit that is 4X games - Civ V, Endless Legend - and well. Now I want to learn how to play them. What are the best LPs for these games - or, hell, let's throw the net wider: what are the best LPs of 4X games? On SA, off SA, I don't care, I want to see good 4X play!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 6, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

There's likely better, more in-depth options out there, but Smite's old Civ V streams did a pretty good job of getting me acclimated to the game. They're not dedicated how-to-play videos, and he optimizes for the higher difficulties, but nevertheless they helped elucidate what kind of goals (victory type, primary resources, religion, etc.) you should be shooting for, which the game itself never really codifies and was the sort of big picture stuff I always had trouble grokking.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for - laid back, informative. Thanks!

Galick posted:

For raw mechanics, Sulla is one of your best bets. He does similar stuff for a ton of other games. His writing is a tad dry, but he does a great job at explaining why he does things and the math behind them.

No link because the browser doesn't like linking to his website, but if you google Sullla plays (with three Ls) you should find his website and youtube channel pretty easily. I prefer his writing over his videos though.

Found 'em! His website reminds me of the early 2000s and it's great. :allears: I bounced off the videos, but it's a good resource for later, and I'll dig into it happily.

To return the favor, my friend's husband loves Civ and apparently watches a ton of this guy - he plays at high-levels, explains things at a high-level - decently grokable at my level.

I now have hours and hours of things to watch, which is great! Always looking for more recs, though, if folks have 'em!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to report: Smite's Byzantines video has been muted: and now I can't watch it. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

The Pillars of Eternity 2 kickstarter made me want to find a playhtrough of the first one to have on in the background. Ideally not blind, minimal gushing about lore (can we, as a species, ban that word yet?) and playing on Path of the Damned.

I started on the first episode of two playlists, and both insisted on reading all on screen text in funny voices. Are there any that won't drive me to murder?

Wait a minute - what does Pillars of Eternity offer if you're not into the lore?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

my wife hates playing scary games but loves watching them. any recommendations for subtitled horror-ish games (she doesn't like people talking over stuff very much)? we've already watched Bioshock, SOMA, and Outlast

Lone Survivor is a fantastically atmospheric game with a subtitled LPer guiding up through it. Highly recced!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is there a good LP of System Shock out there? The two in the master list are essentially dead, and I want to see the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

double nine posted:

which one, 1 or 2

for the first one there's this one on youtube though I can't vouch for its quality

The first one! There's a completed informative LP on the archive already for 2, though I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!