Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Listening to their commentary, it sounds they completely hate every single game they ever play, possibly because they're so bad at playing them. It's not my idea of fun, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Are there any chill Minecraft LPs/series out there? Just something to throw on my secondary monitor while working, watch someone explore pretty places and build poo poo, nothing too spergy. I don't really care about the "purity" of the game, so if it's been modded to hell to look prettier, bring it.

Cheers.

Call me crazy, but I don't care much about building stuff in Minecraft. Having said that, while I'm not a regular follower, I do like the idea of the non-SA youtube LP "Far Lands or Bust".

It started a few years ago, when Minecraft was still in beta. There wasn't an edge to the world map, instead it would completely glitch out when you went like a million miles out from your starting point, creating a glitchy landscape called the Far Lands. People teleported there and explored the place. Then this guy decided to walk all the way there. He thought it would take him about a year. At the pace he's going, it'll take him more like 30 years.

But he's still going (playing the same beta version), and after doing it for a few months he decided to start cooperating with a charity, accepting donations for that charity and doing Minecraft marathons for them, too.

There's over 400 episodes now, but most of them are just him and his trusty pet Going West, exploring strange new places, going where no man has gone before, and talking podcast-like about stuff happening in his life. It's quite nice as background noise, and you can tune in whenever you like.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you're gonna recommend ongoing Zelda LPs, please don't leave out Faerie Fortune's blind LP of the original Ocarina of Time, featuring Agressively Friendly Link.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

kjetting posted:

Any recommendations for good ongoing LPīs of notoriously terrible games?

Superman 64

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

By the way, what's the proper url for viewing a single post? This LP has so many pictures and gifs on a single multi-update page my firefox shits itself and stops rendering them.

Click the # button under the avatar to get a link to a single post.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Samael posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice relaxing FTL LP? I watched Psychedelic Eyeball's stream and it was super calming watching him play the game and I want to experience more of that.

I enjoyed last year's FTL LP. It's right here in the forum archives. I think it was generally relaxed but I don't remember the mood that well. I think it changed between runs.

If you don't have archives, first half of the LP was done by Momplestiltskin and you can find his runs here. After that, ProfessorBooty took over, his playlist starts here.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, it probably wouldn't. The only system I can think of that would eventually work would be to implement a "report" system, where you could report an LP for dead links, then, if the Archive links are available, they are manually inserted into the archived OP in lieu of the original dead links, which would then clear that problem permanently. The new problem with that is that that means more work for Baldurk, and that's not good either.

I suggest a report button that just links to a static page with nothing but that banner.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Some historians just found this script from Shakespeare's secret stash

Was that stored with the weed pipes?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

LPers are like love. You don't look for one that's perfect every way, it's not there. You just look for one that that you can put up with most of the time.

And just like love, it's better to be with more than one at a time?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

It should be mentioned that if you enjoyed cannibalK9's LP of the Void he also did one of the Talos Principle that was very good. As for another recommendation supergreatfriend is currently LP'ing Realms of the Haunting which is a Point and Click FPS and seems very interesting so far.

I will also recommend CannibalK9's LP of the Talos Principle. It's complete, and the thread is right here.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I clicked that on a whim, and drat that dude is mellow. It's like watching Bob Ross do an LP.

"We're gonna put some colour here. Just a bit of green."

And he starts out by saying he found some facecam LPs and as the facecams didn't add anything he didn't like them much. +5.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

What are some LPs where at least one of the LPers hates what they're doing? Not hating the game they're doing or an exaggerated "OH WHY AM I DOING THIS," but a LP where a person clearly doesn't want to be there and has open disdain for what they're doing?

I personally love when Lowtax appeared in a couple of Khad's videos in one of his LP's (one and two) and completely mocks him at every opportunity.

Have you seen the Bubsy LP by CJacobs in the casual LP thread? He lost a bet or something, and in the LP you can hear how he suffers more and more as time goes on.
Here's a link to the first post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750711&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post454036736

MassRafTer's Superman 64 LP went basically in the same direction. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688694

In both cases it's because the game's objectively bad, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Off the forums, there's the rather neat Far Lands Or Bust LP:

http://farlandsorbust.com/

Basically, this guy is using an old beta of Minecraft where at some point millions of kilometers out from the center the procedural land generator breaks and causes a weird glitched hellscape that acts as the end of the world. He's WALKING there. Has been doing so for years now and it'll probably take him a few more decades at this pace to get there.

It's a years-long charity drive and he's still bringing in the money so I'm cool with it. Latest episode is #610. And almost every episode is just walking walking walking.

I'm also reminded of NorthernLion Binding of Isaac letsplays. Those just keep going and going. He started renumbering after ever major game update so I don't even know how many episodes there are exactly (there is something weird going on with the numbers in the playlists), but there seem to be over a thousand.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=northernlion+isaac

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Not sure where to post this, so I will put it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzwCvyWjGo

A good watch. Seems pretty accurate, too.

Is that Oregon Trail LP really gone?

This is a surprisingly good video.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The LParchive only seems to have an LP of the original Cave Story. Could anyone recommend a good completionist LP of Cave Story + ?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

There's always DoctorKill's Zelda threads, where he plays Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask completely wrong. I can't speak for the MM one since I haven't seen it but the OoT one is great, with dungeons being done in the wrong order, at the wrong time, with the wrong items, with a level of skill that borders on wizardry.

I can confirm that both of them are great.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

Are you following Rock Paper Scissors?

If not, why the hell not?!

Honestly, as a player I kinda want it to be over so I can finally look what y'all posted in the observer and enemy team threads.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In fact, incompetent LPers don't exist.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

All three threads really deserve to be goldmined. Seeing the observer thread react to my villain turn was fantastic. I actually kind of had a panic attack half way through thinking "oh my god, do people actually hate me? Did they not get the joke?" but the shock kind of wore off after about a day or two. Plus I think I netted the single best probate reason in forums history for it.

I hope this opens the door to more experimental, chaotic community-based LPs. When they work like FPS, they're fantastic experiences for everyone involved.

Just seeing the going ons as a player from the other thread, I honestly wasn't sure at the time. But I decided the call for blood would work out well either way. And then we got the best ending imaginable.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone know of a good Breath of the Wild playthrough going on? The video one here wasn't my cup of tea but, I found myself super into the Achievement Hunter one, somehow.

I'm really hoping one of the regular Zelda LPers on this forum pick it up at some point.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Princey posted:

Is there a good blind LP of La Mulana (either version) anywhere? I'm longing to recapture the feeling of discovery and the best I can do is live it vicariously through someone else. Something like Kay Plays -- positive attitude, having fun exploring, good at piecing together lore and puzzle-solving -- would be fantastic.

I don't know of a blind LP - and honestly with a game with puzzles this hard I'm not sure if anyone could make a completely blind LP work.

However, the LP by Agent355 has a guest commentator who doesn't know the game yet while Agent355 explains how puzzles are SUPPOSED to be solved, instead of just ramming your head into a wall like most people seem to do. I think it works quite well but it might not be what you're looking for.

https://lparchive.org/La-Mulana-(by-Agent355)/

(btw to search for La-Mulana on the lparchive you specifically have to add the dash. Doesn't work with a space)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

I have a bunch of 480p copies I downloaded using KeepVid way back then, including Hell Temple. I could zip them up, throw them on Dropbox or Google Drive and baldurk could link to that instead if you like. (As an interim solution.)

Dropbox has implemented all kinds of ways to make their service unfun for users. For instance they changed all links a little while ago, meaning I had to go round the internet and update URLs anywhere (to a non-dropbox host of course), and if you generate a link now, you can't really get a direct link to a file anymore, only to this dropbox page from where you can download it. Nice for Dropbox's data gathering but it does mean users can click through to other files in your account.

It doesn't really matter directly if you set up a throw-away account for that but I prefer boycotting Dropbox entirely. Use any other file host instead.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Olesh posted:

If you have PMs, could you do that and PM me a link to the zip? I'd be interested in recovering the videos - how to rehost them can be my headache to handle.

Anyone with the grenade icon next to their name has PMs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Good SSLP's, anyways. Wargame SSLPs exist elsewhere but the most common one's I've seen are like... 1 image per post with barely any explanation as to what is going on.

Weirdly, that sounds like what I understand this forum's very first SSLPs were like. One image, then it's up to the thread to decide what to do in the game, then one more image.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, but I was in the mood for some Kirby LP's, and discovered that Medibot's Youtube channel is empty and all of his Let's Plays are gone, does anyone know what happened to them or why?

Of course, alternatively, you can watch some LPs from ricdesi & friends mega-LP project where they LP All The Kirby Games. I find them mostly entertaining, although currently they're at Smash Melee which is not a Real Kirby game.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844729

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

Is there an informative/lore exploration LP for Little Nightmares and its DLC?

Failing that, any informative/lore exploration of horror games in general? I've already gone through the recommended LPs in the OP.

The Little Nightmares LP currently on the forum has some "Let's Explain" side videos that go into the lore a bit. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836104

The main LP isn't very lore heavy, although I think it was nicely done. The main game is finished, but it looks like the LPer has too much life stuff going on to get to the DLC anytime soon though.

So I'm not quite sure if this is what you're looking for, but it's there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Any SA let's plays of The Talos Principle to be found? Prospects are slim because the archive doesn't have any, but I would like to watch one with an in-depth approach to the philosophical aspects of it if such a thing is out there!

Pythonicus posted:

I don't have a link, but CannibalK9 has one on YouTube that was once upon a time in the archive. It's all in a playlist and I think he does a pretty good job of what you're asking

Here is the archived thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696744

I recommend reading through the thread itself if you can because a lot of the philosophical discussion related to the game happened in there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FluxFaun posted:

So besides all the wonderful chill LPs in the OP, are there any LPs of games that are more like podcasts than anything else? I'm needing something to put on in the background while I work.

If you run out of other ideas, you can always watch Far Lands Or Bust. This is the only Minecraft LP I will *ever* recommend and there's a good reason for that.

https://farlandsorbust.com/

It's a series that has been running since 2011, they're at episode 714 now, and the idea is that they're playing some old version of Minecraft, where the world becomes a glitchy mess if you walk out more than 12500km from your point of origin. He's walking towards these glitched Far Lands for like half an hour every week. Just walking. And sometimes sailing seas or climbing over hills. But mostly walking.

He's doing so to raise money for charity. He currently got a Guinness record for the longest journey made in Minecraft, and as it stands now, he's expected to still be walking by the year 2030. 12500 km is VERY FAR to walk.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Little Nightmares by JohnOfOrdo3, for showing that you can use subtitles for much more than just bare narration.